ADVERTISEMENT

Another school shooting

I don’t think banning firearms is the answer and I don’t think sitting idle is the answer, either. It’s somewhere in the middle like most things in politics

I don't know if I've heard ANYONE of note say that we should "ban firearms".

But I've heard people say...

A) don't make ANY laws about firearms, except MAYBE banning bumpstocks... and the people making those statements are leaders of our nation

and

B) we need SOME changes to what firearms are available, what accessories are available, and how we manage the purchase of firearms (and these people always get shouted down... I mean hell, a bunch of kids who survived a school shooting have been attacked ad naseum for daring to propose stuff like that)

Reactions: IU_Btown_Chicago

A) don't make ANY laws about firearms, except MAYBE banning bumpstocks... and the people making those statements are leaders of our nation

and

B) we need SOME changes to what firearms are available, what accessories are available, and how we manage the purchase of firearms (and these people always get shouted down... I mean hell, a bunch of kids who survived a school shooting have been attacked ad naseum for daring to propose stuff like that)
Im okay with banning bump stocks and I’m sure more conservatives than not would agree with that. I am also for very strict laws for guns like an AR15, but I do think they should be available to the right people.

Not letting minors get weapons at all would be a great start.

If more people get stabbed because guns aren't readily available so be it. You aren't gonna get these double digits body counts with knives.
You're never gonna fully be able to stop people going on rampages. So stop the damage they can do.
That sounds like a cop out. If this is truly the case then we need to focus a lot more on mental health and less on controlling a citizens right to bear arms.

and

Of course you haven’t heard anyone say ban all guns. You don’t WANT to hear that. People ARE saying things like that but it doesn’t fit your narrative so choose to not hear those things.

I could just as easily say I havent heard anyone say don’t make ANY gun laws. But then again I’m not a disengenuous asshole. So there’s that...

Stole this post from the football board. Interesting things to consider. If TL;DR.. there is a common theme that these mash shooters had no father figure growing up.

Instead of starting with guns, this time, let's start here...just for giggles...

What Do ALL the Mass Shooters Have in Common? No Father in the Home
written by Jeanine Martin February 14, 2018

UPDATE: The article below I wrote over two years ago. Yesterday it happened again, another mass shooting, this time at a high school in Florida. Our thoughts and prayers go out to families and friends of those 17 students who lost their lives. Such a terrible, senseless, tragedy. The very disturbed shooter Nikolas Cruz had been expelled from the school and it was well known that he had a fascination with knives and guns.

Nikolas and his biological brother were adopted by an older couple when Nikolas was an infant. His mother, Lynda Marie Cruz, was 49 years old and his father, Roger Paul Cruz, was 62. Roger died in 2004, when Nikolas was only 4 or 5. Nikolas’s mother died just a few months ago. Like so many of the mass shooters, young Nikolas grew up without a father in the home and with a fascination for guns.

Others have noticed the link between school shooters and fatherless homes.

Earlier post published October 2, 2015

The one common thread among all the recent mass shooters is they are children of single of mothers. These young men had no male role models in their homes. For 50 years, our society has encouraged women to be single mothers despite all the research proving it is detrimental to a child to be born into a home without a father. Children born to single mothers are twice as likely to become delinquent.

Children of single mothers are more likely to be in special education classes in school, more likely to drop out of school, more likely to experiment with drugs and alcohol at an early age, and more likely to become delinquent and to be incarcerated. There are no men on death row from intact families. Children of single mothers are more likely to witness domestic violence in their homes and more likely to repeat the pattern of domestic violence. Children born to a married couple are more likely to attend college, less likely to be abused, and more likely to grow up mentally and physically healthier. A child born to a single mother has close to a 40% chance of growing up in poverty while a child born to a married couple has less than 4% chance of growing up in poverty. Children of single mothers are 14 times more likely to suffer abuse and if the mother lives with a man who is not the father of the child, the chances of abuse increase to 33 times that of a married couple. Worse, the children of single parents are more likely to grow up and repeat the pattern, a pattern that is detrimental to children. Despite what the liberals have told us, children need fathers in their lives and in their homes.

If we look at the recent spate of mass shooters, they all grew up in single family homes. (Cho at Virginia Tech may have been the exception although he seemed to be missing guidance from either of his parents. They did not seem to have been aware of his problems which began in middle school.)

Our society could cure a lot of ills by not encouraging women to be single mothers. These women should put their children first and not become mothers if they aren’t in a stable, married, relationship. It’s simply not fair to children. From the National Review,

Harvard sociologist Robert Sampson has written that “Family structure is one of the strongest, if not the strongest, predictor of variations in urban violence across cities in the United States.”

His views are echoed by the eminent criminologists Michael Gottfredson and Travis Hirschi, who have written that “such family measures as the percentage of the population divorced, the percentage of households headed by women, and the percentage of unattached individuals in the community are among the most powerful predictors of crime rates.”

When will our society stop pretending that children raised by single mothers turn out ‘just as good’ as those raised by a married couple? They don’t. These children suffer every step of their lives and so does our society. Our jails are packed with men and women from homes without a father. We all pay the price, but these children pay the greatest price.

One more liberal social experiment, single mothers, that has harmed children. When will we stop supporting liberal social experiments that ALWAYS harm children? When will we put the needs of our most vulnerable, infants and children, ahead of the wants of adult women? Which is more important to our future as a society? The answers are obvious.

UPDATE: Much more on this subject in this excellent article by our friends over at Bearing Drift, The article includes these statistics,

63% of youth suicides are from fatherless homes
90% of all homeless and runaway children are from fatherless homes
85% of all children who show behavior disorders come from fatherless homes
80% of rapists with anger problems come from fatherless homes
71% of all high school dropouts come from fatherless homes
75% of all adolescent patients in chemical abuse centers come from fatherless homes
85% of all youths in prison come from fatherless homes

Confirmed that a school resource officer stopped a school shooter before he could harm anyone in an Illinois school in the past week or so. Think the answer to this problem is pretty clear.

Regardless of the gun laws the schools have to be more safe. The hold the most precious cargo we have and should
Be treated as such. This is the times that we live in now. We have to adapt

Reactions: SNU0821
Not letting minors get weapons at all would be a great start.

If more people get stabbed because guns aren't readily available so be it. You aren't gonna get these double digits body counts with knives.
You're never gonna fully be able to stop people going on rampages. So stop the damage they can do.

“If more people get punched to death because knives aren’t readily available, so be it. You aren’t gonna get these body counts with bare hands. You’re never gonna fully be able to stop people going on rampages, so stop the damage they can do by banning knives.”

Reactions: SNU0821
That sounds like a cop out. If this is truly the case then we need to focus a lot more on mental health and less on controlling a citizens right to bear arms.
When will that start? Republicans keep bantering on about mental health, but when are they going to do something about it? I mean, Republicans do hold the majority right now...

When will that start? Republicans keep bantering on about mental health, but when are they going to do something about it? I mean, Republicans do hold the majority right now...
As soon as the left recognizes that not every problem will be solved by taking away everyone's guns. It goes both ways. Takes both sides working together in order to fix something like this. Pulling teeth one way or the other won't help.

Reactions: treyforuk
Goes both ways. When will democrats stop blaming the tool/guns and do something to harden our schools? Both sides need to come to the table.

Reactions: JimboBBN
Guys.. there is a poster on the football board who has family that attend at work at this school. I couldn't imagine being in his spot right now. Thoughts and prayers with everyone involved.
Just ran across your info about your mom. Sorry to hear that. Hope she makes a seamless recovery! Hopefully you'll gain some peace over it too. I know it's stressful.

Reactions: JimboBBN
Goes both ways. When will democrats stop blaming the tool/guns and do something to harden our schools? Both sides need to come to the table.
When young kids quit receiving easy access to arms and killing their peers. I do agree that both sides need to figure something out. They also need to provide Flint with clean water, and give PR electricity.

As soon as the left recognizes that not every problem will be solved by taking away everyone's guns. It goes both ways. Takes both sides working together in order to fix something like this. Pulling teeth one way or the other won't help.

Nobody on the left has said that. In fact, I think every left-leaning poster here has said they are NOT looking for a full ban on guns, and that we need to address other issues, like mental health.

would you mother ****ers quit politicizing this? christ almighty, send thoughts and prayers then stfu.

Thoughts and prayers realistically don't mean much. And what you call "politicizing" might actually be "wanting to actually do something to save the lives of children."

I revoke my thoughts and prayers, and will continue to politicize this. The world revolves around politics, not an empty “prayer” that doesn’t do jack shit.
you're going to hell blasphemer.

They have a majority. Why do they need the left to concede anything on guns in order to pass a clean bill on mental health?

I revoke my thoughts and prayers, and will continue to politicize this. The world revolves around politics, not an empty “prayer” that doesn’t do jack shit.
If I get killed in a school shooting, please politicize it. Politicize it all day and don't offer a single thought or prayer.

Reactions: anon_0astpxev9h4gk
Shitty shitty shitty. Rense, repeat next time.
no it's called arguing. and let me know if the rivals college basketball board successfully saves the lives of children in this thread.
If one abortion is thwarted by @hailtoyourvictor 's or @Bert Higginbotha 's efforts on this board, consider that saving a child's life.

They have a majority. Why do they need the left to concede anything on guns in order to pass a clean bill on mental health?
Good for them. One of the lefties asked when Republicans would do something about mental health, and my response is when the other side decides to meet them half way. This isn't a one sided issue. However, only one party likes to politicize these kind of things, and its the same side that riots in the streets and throws pity parties for themselves when their candidate doesn't win.

Pretty much knew this is how this thread would turn out.

Good for them. One of the lefties asked when Republicans would do something about mental health, and my response is when the other side decides to meet them half way. This isn't a one sided issue. However, only one party likes to politicize these kind of things, and its the same side that riots in the streets and throws pity parties for themselves when their candidate doesn't win.

They don't need a minority party to meet them halfway on a clean mental health bill. They don't even need a single Democratic vote. They can pass a mental health bill having nothing to do with guns.

Only one side politicizes it? Perhaps you're not surprised how these threads turn out b/c you're contributing to how they turn out.

Reactions: anon_0astpxev9h4gk
They don't need a minority party to meet them halfway on a clean mental health bill. They don't even need a single Democratic vote. They can pass a mental health bill having nothing to do with guns.

Only one side politicizes it? Perhaps you're not surprised how these threads turn out b/c you're contributing to how they turn out.
Then I wish they would. I'm not sure why I'm expected to side with everything republicans want to do. I believe what I want to believe, and I think something needs to be done about mental health.

Reactions: treyforuk

Brother, when you say "only one party likes to politicize these things," it is a bit nutty.

What you call "politicizing" is literally people saying 'We don't want any more kids to get shot! When the hell are we going to DO SOMETHING about these tools used for mass murder after mass murder?'

Thats not politicizing. Thats being decent and caring about kids dying and wanting to DO something about it. How can you seem to be so critical of that? Are guns REALLY so special and holy that people shouldn't be talking about getting rid of them to save lives of school children?

I'd rather be advocating for increased gun control and increased mental health resources and all of that than saying "Now isn't the time! Don't touch my guns! Its only about crazy people!"

I'm just baffled. Honestly. How anyone could look at gun violence in the United States, which is so far beyond anything experienced anywhere else in the world, and NOT say "Hey, we need a LOT of work to be done, such as identifying and addressing mental health issues and working to keep guns out of the wrong hands." Obviously it cannot JUST be a mental health issue.

I won't address that last part... I think thats mostly just tiredness of all of this coming out;)

But sure, I'm fine ditching this thread. Its pointless.

Brother, when you say "only one party likes to politicize these things," it is a bit nutty.

What you call "politicizing" is literally people saying 'We don't want any more kids to get shot! When the hell are we going to DO SOMETHING about these tools used for mass murder after mass murder?'

Thats not politicizing. Thats being decent and caring about kids dying and wanting to DO something about it. How can you seem to be so critical of that? Are guns REALLY so special and holy that people shouldn't be talking about getting rid of them to save lives of school children?

I'd rather be advocating for increased gun control and increased mental health resources and all of that than saying "Now isn't the time! Don't touch my guns! Its only about crazy people!"

I'm just baffled. Honestly. How anyone could look at gun violence in the United States, which is so far beyond anything experienced anywhere else in the world, and NOT say "Hey, we need a LOT of work to be done, such as identifying and addressing mental health issues and working to keep guns out of the wrong hands." Obviously it cannot JUST be a mental health issue.

I won't address that last part... I think thats mostly just tiredness of all of this coming out;)

But sure, I'm fine ditching this thread. Its pointless.
I say nutty things like this usually in response to things like this
America loves guns more than it loves kids. Now that that's out the way. What are we going to do?
from the other side. Surely you get that.

ADVERTISEMENT