ADVERTISEMENT

Am I the only one that thinks Duke

Serious. The Cuse team with Wes Johnson was nuts. Jackson and Onuaku were unstoppable at the rim, Rautins was a 42% 3-point shooter, and the defense was one of Boeheim's best. If Onuaku didn't get hurt in the BET, Cuse would have steamrolled Butler.

1 seed in the tournament, too.
Best team still won that year.

Reactions: tw3301
Second all of the above.

For, as we all know, KU is the rightful owner of about 13 more national titles.

Reactions: tw3301
Serious. The Cuse team with Wes Johnson was nuts. Jackson and Onuaku were unstoppable at the rim, Rautins was a 42% 3-point shooter, and the defense was one of Boeheim's best. If Onuaku didn't get hurt in the BET, Cuse would have steamrolled Butler.

1 seed in the tournament, too.
What was he doing on BET in the middle of the season?

chi-rick-barnes-tennessee-20150331

One man stands in their way...

I think Duke’s shooting woes were exaggerated, but I can see the freshman getting too three happy being an issue. With that said, excited to see how they attack the Eastern Michigan zone tonight.
Relentlessly attacked that zone. Made it look non existent most of the game.

Relentlessly attacked that zone. Made it look non existent most of the game.

Game was ova at halftime. You can’t zone this team. You’ve got 3 guys that can penetrate and get to the rim at will. With that said I hope teams continue to try and zone us.

Game was ova at halftime. You can’t zone this team. You’ve got 3 guys that can penetrate and get to the rim at will. With that said I hope teams continue to try and zone us.
3 guys for sure, but there are others that can get in the paint as well. Duke could also stick Zion or RJ in the low post and be effective against a zone. Or both of those guys at the foul line extended in the middle of any zone defense. Once Zion or RJ get the ball at the foul line, chances are it is too late for the defense unless they collapse on them. The problem that arises from that is Zion and RJ are both are willing passers.

Shooting still could be a weak point at times (defense too), but White and McConnell are enough of threats to keep defenses honest. This is a very exciting Duke team that in my 35+ years of following Duke feels different than any previous version.

I liked the was Javin played last night too. Much more confident and competent. He only fumbled the ball 3 times by my count. That is progress for him. : )

3 guys for sure, but there are others that can get in the paint as well. Duke could also stick Zion or RJ in the low post and be effective against a zone. Or both of those guys at the foul line extended in the middle of any zone defense. Once Zion or RJ get the ball at the foul line, chances are it is too late for the defense unless they collapse on them. The problem that arises from that is Zion and RJ are both are willing passers.

Shooting still could be a weak point at times (defense too), but White and McConnell are enough of threats to keep defenses honest. This is a very exciting Duke team that in my 35+ years of following Duke feels different than any previous version.

I liked the was Javin played last night too. Much more confident and competent. He only fumbled the ball 3 times by my count. That is progress for him. : )

Worse hands. Marshall Plumlee or Javin? Laughing

Reactions: tw3301 and denniden
Was at that game last night. I've never seen anything like Zion. Barrett is really good, but there's no comparison to Zion. The way he twists and moves his body thru the lane and around the basket is something else. His dunks are as good as I've ever seen, but he makes some fairly tough shots look pretty easy, and his motor is non stop.

Reactions: tw3301 and denniden
I think Duke is clearly the favorite. They are the best team in the country. I think you can take anyone and say they won't win the NCAAT though. It is just too difficult to really even be confident one team is going to win when there is so much competition and that type of format.

To be fair, if you aren't a Duke fan, you probably are a Duke hater;)
:rolleyes:

Agreed.
But I still think a tournament is the best way to determine a champion. No home court advantages, just neutral court games.
You really believe a single elimination tourney is the best way to decide?

I agree neutral is best, but in no way do I believe this setup is the best way to crown a real champion. It's just a really, really good way the NCAA can make some srs coin off (even casual) ncaab fans.

I agree neutral is best, but in no way do I believe this setup is the best way to crown a real champion. It's just a really, really good way the NCAA can make some srs coin off (even casual) ncaab fans.
The only better way that I can think of would be a 5 or 7 game series, but if you do that, you would have to eliminate a bunch of teams. You can't invite 64 teams to that type of tournament.
I guess you could play the tournament up to the FF, then go to a 5 game series from there, but that's still not going to fix the big upsets that we have seen happen in the first 4 rounds.

The only better way that I can think of would be a 5 or 7 game series, but if you do that, you would have to eliminate a bunch of teams. You can't invite 64 teams to that type of tournament.
I guess you could play the tournament up to the FF, then go to a 5 game series from there, but that's still not going to fix the big upsets that we have seen happen in the first 4 rounds.

64, not 68
Keep 68s starting date
E8 = best of 3
Final 4 = best of 3
Title = best of 3
Is how I'd like to see it.

Keep the early-exciting upsets, prolong the postseason to ensure better next-round and Title Game results.

But, the NCAA is smart to keep their Crowning as far from professional-looking as possible.

Last edited:
64, not 68
Keep 68s starting date
E8 = best of 3
Final 4 = best of 3
Title = best of 3

Keep the early-exciting upsets, prolong the postseason to ensure better next-round and Title Game results.

But, the NCAA is smart for keep their Crowning as far from professional-looking as possible.
It's all about the student athletes.

But wouldn't they make more $$$ if they NCAA went to an NBA type format? I mean, that would mean more games. JMO..:D

I think for the most part, one of the best teams usually wins the title. Every year there are 5, 6 or 7 teams capable of winning it. Normally the title winner comes from that group. Yea sure other years there more. Some, there are less. But for the most part, there really isn't a surprise, oh my goodness, champion. Just look at the past 10 years or so:
2009-UNC
2010- Duke
2011- UConn- Maybe. They were pretty good. But I'll concede this one
2012- UK
2013- UL
2014- UConn---Okay. Number two
2015- Duke---Yes, UK was 38-0. But Duke was pretty damn good. SO was Wisconsin.
2016-Nova
2017-UNC
2018-Nova

So what, 2 out 10 were surprise winners? For the most part, the NCAAT crowns a legit, national champion.

I have no real issues with the tourney. It doens't always crown the best team but it is extremely entertaining and sort of a unique deal. I get the counter though.

Reactions: Tigerocker
Wouldn't necessarily want to change it (aside from trimming the field), but I'll bet the champion list would look much different with an NBA style playoff system.

But wouldn't they make more $$$ if they NCAA went to an NBA type format? I mean, that would mean more games. JMO..:D

I think for the most part, one of the best teams usually wins the title. Every year there are 5, 6 or 7 teams capable of winning it. Normally the title winner comes from that group. Yea sure other years there more. Some, there are less. But for the most part, there really isn't a surprise, oh my goodness, champion. Just look at the past 10 years or so:
2009-UNC
2010- Duke
2011- UConn- Maybe. They were pretty good. But I'll concede this one
2012- UK
2013- UL
2014- UConn---Okay. Number two
2015- Duke---Yes, UK was 38-0. But Duke was pretty damn good. SO was Wisconsin.
2016-Nova
2017-UNC
2018-Nova

So what, 2 out 10 were surprise winners? For the most part, the NCAAT crowns a legit, national champion.

Can't have too many games tho, these kids aren't professionals. They have classes and need to focus on academics and such.

Imagine how watered down the NBA would be with 350 teams. I hate that 10-20% of P6 schedules are garbage. Garbageball

When it comes to the post - season, and faced with a 7 month off-season, I want as many good games as they'll parade.

Making the E8, F4 and then the title game usually means your team is somewhat legit. So not having many outlier champions makes a load of sense.

But I get it, you wouldn't have wanted
Best of 3 Kentucky/Wisky
Best of 3 Duke/Wisky
Best of 3 UNC/Nova
I get it. :p

64, not 68
Keep 68s starting date
E8 = best of 3
Final 4 = best of 3
Title = best of 3

But, the NCAA is smart to keep their Crowning as far from professional-looking as possible.
I like it, but that would be a really long season, which is fine by me, but it may not be all that much fun for the players. I'm not sure though, I've never played at that level.

They are young and talented but let’s not act like they beat one of Cal’s best teams ever at UK. I’ve watched UK a couple of times now and this years edition appears very pedestrian compared to what they are used to under Cal. No flame at all just my opinion.

Reactions: Tigerocker
Digging that user name. You actually Trinity '92?

Absolutely. Since my last name begins with "L," my senior photo is on the same page as Christian Laettner's in the 1992 Chanticleer. Lived on Towerview in 1991 so could look out my window and see the line to get into Cameron and pick the best time to go see a game. We were decent from 1988-1992.

Reactions: LandofOzDevil
Absolutely. Since my last name begins with "L," my senior photo is on the same page as Christian Laettner's in the 1992 Chanticleer. Lived on Towerview in 1991 so could look out my window and see the line to get into Cameron and pick the best time to go see a game. We were decent from 1988-1992.

The stories you could tell. What a time to be a student.

You mofo. I got there in 94, so got to have Scotty Thurman break my heart, and then the next year, Tent #1, and K went out. Not quite the same:)

I sincerely thought it was theirs to lose.
I watched maybe 2 Duke games off and on in the tournament , so I was unaware of their deficienties. The injuries never let them get in sync, and it showed. The fact that MSU faced the same situation, and excelled is mind blowing
That's why we play the games, and these 3 weeks are the best in sports

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT