ADVERTISEMENT

353-Team NCAA Tournament

Tell me who duke played in the first round? You may think it's a loaded question but it's not.
At least Duke would have played a first round game 14-19. Everyone knows Afam u would not have made the tourney.

Fighting for seed would still matter as much, imo. The difference between a 1 and a 5 seed might not matter much in the first or second round, but you will get to the round of 64 where the seeds matter as much as they ever did.

I can see how we lose out on teams fighting to get into the field of 64, though. Teams fighting for the first round bye won’t feel the same because we’d be talking about really bad teams.

Would be interesting to see how the field is ranked. I mean, if you're looking at it from top to bottom, the #64 team in 2021 clearly isn't the same type of team that a traditional 1 seed would face. A traditional 1 seed would face a team like Gardner-Webb or LIU-Brooklyn in the first round. In the expanded tournament, you're going to face a team like Georgia Tech or Alabama. You could easily have multiple 1 seeds losing in the Round of 64. It's not the same. There would be very few gimmes from the Round of 64 onward.

The other 3 and not sniffing a FF isn't good but yes a title does take the sting out of falling short in other years.

The sting that every school faces? Sure. I guess so. I'm content with only winning the title 25% of the time, though.

Reactions: brooky03
So, just as an example, let's see who a 1 seed and 5 seed would face had the 2020 tournament been all-inclusive, and the seeds were dependent on KenPom's rankings.

A 1 seed would face a team in the 61-68 range (16 & 17 seeds) in the Round of 64. Those teams from 2020 include:

Texas, Saint Louis, Arizona State, Georgia Tech, Rhode Island, St.John's, Georgetown, Tennessee

A 5 seed would face a team in the 45-52 range (12 & 13 seeds). Those teams from 2020 would be:

Xavier, Richmond, Arkansas, Miss State, Northern Iowa, NC State, Syracuse, UConn

Yes, the 1 seeds would have easier opponents, but the gap is not that large. The difference between a school like Saint Louis and Mississippi State is very, very small.

Right, but the regular season means more if you're clawing your way through the season, trying to fight for a bid in the tournament. Even if you're an elite school that has a spot secured, you'd still be fighting for a top seed. The difference between a 1 seed and 5 seed doesn't seem like a huge deal if you're opening game is in the round of 256. It's quite substantial, however, if you're opening game is in the Round of 64.

I think you’re maybe taking it a little too literally.

This is an unprecedented year and they are doing what they can to have a tourney. My guess would be, teams seeded 1–8 or 1-12 get byes into a 64 team field. Teams down in the 200s would square off—similar to how they do in conference tourneys now—and advance to face higher seeded teams.

So there would still be a big difference between who seed 1 is facing in the round of 64 (likely their first game) and who seed 5 is facing (also likely their first game).

No, I never said it was disgraceful. Had this been UNC recruiting like this I would hold them to the same standard. For the past few seasons you guys win the off season but when the tournament starts you fall short. And yes I get everyone falls short a lot more than they win but when you're racking up top notch recruiting classes year in and year out and you can't make the final weekend, that's underachieving.

UNC just finished last in the ACC after having the second best recruiting class in the league. So...yeah.

Yup, no excuses so how many FF’s the Noles been to since.... Hell, you pick a time frame

Look at this guy^^^talking crap to the reigning ACC Champs, a team that won the league despite having just 3 top 100 players on the roster.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I think you’re maybe taking it a little too literally.

This is an unprecedented year and they are doing what they can to have a tourney. My guess would be, teams seeded 1–8 or 1-12 get byes into a 64 team field. Teams down in the 200s would square off—similar to how they do in conference tourneys now—and advance to face higher seeded teams.

So there would still be a big difference between who seed 1 is facing in the round of 64 (likely their first game) and who seed 5 is facing (also likely their first game).

Not a huge difference, IMO. In the example I provided above, where I used the KenPom rankings for seeds, Georgia Tech, in 2020, would have been a potential Round of 64 opponent for a 1 seed. And NC State would have been a potential Round of 64 opponent for a 5 seed. Tech swept NC State. Not much difference between those two schools. And any school in that range, really.

So yes, back to my point, it greatly diminishes the relevancy of the regular season. Hopefully this doesn't happen. I understand the need for it if there isn't an OOC season, as it would be nearly impossible to distinguish one resume from another. I just think this should be an absolute last resort for holding the tournament.

Look at this guy^^^talking crap to the reigning ACC Champs, a team that won the league despite having just 3 top 100 players on the roster.

You came at me so I responded. I like Hamilton and what he’s done there but my question still hasn’t been answered. Oh btw, congrats on the conference title.

Not a huge difference, IMO. In the example I provided above, where I used the KenPom rankings for seeds, Georgia Tech, in 2020, would have been a potential Round of 64 opponent for a 1 seed. And NC State would have been a potential Round of 64 opponent for a 5 seed. Tech swept NC State. Not much difference between those two schools. And any school in that range, really.

So yes, back to my point, it greatly diminishes the relevancy of the regular season. Hopefully this doesn't happen. I understand the need for it if there isn't an OOC season, as it would be nearly impossible to distinguish one resume from another. I just think this should be an absolute last resort for holding the tournament.

I’m confused as to why you’re saying the 16 seeds would just be the 64th ranked team on KenPom? Was that in the article?

I think it’s much more likely teams like NCSU and GT would be playing teams like Davidson or Georgia State for the opportunity to slot in as a 13 seed.

Only the top 20-30 teams would likely get a bye all the way to the round of 64.

You came at me so I responded. I like Hamilton and what he’s done there but my question still hasn’t been answered. Oh btw, congrats on the conference title.

FSU has one Final Four. I know our place in the historical tiers of programs.

I just find it ironic that a UNC fan is giving other schools crap for underachieving with highly ranked recruits.

FSU has one Final Four. I know our place in the historical tiers of programs.

I just find it ironic that a UNC fan is giving other schools crap for underachieving with highly ranked recruits.

What other schools was I referring to other than Duke?

What other schools was I referring to other than Duke?

You’ve mentioned this before about Kentucky.

Talking about ANY school underachieving with high recruits feels a bit funny these days coming from a UNC fan.

You’ve mentioned this before about Kentucky.

Talking about ANY school underachieving with high recruits feels a bit funny these days coming from a UNC fan.

I’m talking now dude. It’s funny you wanna jump in and offer how one should respond on certain topics. You may wanna chill on trying to be someone’s wing man, not a good look at all.

I’m confused as to why you’re saying the 16 seeds would just be the 64th ranked team on KenPom? Was that in the article?

I think it’s much more likely teams like NCSU and GT would be playing teams like Davidson or Georgia State for the opportunity to slot in as a 13 seed.

Only the top 20-30 teams would likely get a bye all the way to the round of 64.

I never referenced any article, only a couple of tweets. Can't find any article that breaks down exactly how the tournament might look. Would be curious to see how it might look. I'm sure it's not exactly how I was presenting it.

For the sake of argument, I'll use the top 20 teams as receiving byes to the Round of 64. This leaves 88 schools (presumably teams 21-108) vying for the final 44 spots. A 1-seed would then face a 16 or 17 seed (anyone ranked in the 61-68 range). While it's true a 16 or 17 seed could lose prior to this round, it would be to a team that is ranked lower than 128, which seems unlikely. So I'll bring up those potential matchups again.

A 1 seed would face a team in the 61-68 range (16 & 17 seeds) in the Round of 64. Those teams from 2020 include:

Texas, Saint Louis, Arizona State, Georgia Tech, Rhode Island, St.John's, Georgetown, Tennessee

A 5 seed would face a team in the 45-52 range (12 & 13 seeds). Those teams from 2020 would be:

Xavier, Richmond, Arkansas, Miss State, Northern Iowa, NC State, Syracuse, UConn

The 12 & 13 seeds (45-52 range) would potentially play teams in the 77-84 range (North Texas, UCLA, Liberty, Tulsa, Furman, Akron, Boise State, UNC), for the right to advance to the round of 64. So yes, any of those schools could lose.

Clearly there would still be an advantage for being a 1 seed over a 5 seed. Just think the gap isn't as big as it normally would be. There's a stark contrast between playing Georgia Tech or LIU-Brooklyn in the Round of 64. But, the difference between Georgia Tech and NC State really isn't quite as noticeable. So for that reason, I think it could diminish the regular season a bit when most good teams know that their spot is secured.

Reactions: GE Nole
NCAA: We're trying to do whatever we can to limit potential COVID-19 exposure to our student-athletes.

Coach K: Let's have a tournament with all 357 teams!!!

giphy.gif

No thanks...There's already a 353 NCAAT---Its called the reg.season/conference tournament.
It would take away the prestige of what IMO is the most prestigious tournament there is...Inviting a 4-26 to such an invent just waters it down more than it already is..

Then the finance side of things----NIT is probably cancelled...Conference tourneys as well...That would impact a ton of people.

The NCAAT is fine as it is...Why take away from it?

I’m talking now dude. It’s funny you wanna jump in and offer how one should respond on certain topics. You may wanna chill on trying to be someone’s wing man, not a good look at all.

UNC gonna finish in the top half of the ACC this year?

I never referenced any article, only a couple of tweets. Can't find any article that breaks down exactly how the tournament might look. Would be curious to see how it might look. I'm sure it's not exactly how I was presenting it.

For the sake of argument, I'll use the top 20 teams as receiving byes to the Round of 64. This leaves 88 schools (presumably teams 21-108) vying for the final 44 spots. A 1-seed would then face a 16 or 17 seed (anyone ranked in the 61-68 range). While it's true a 16 or 17 seed could lose prior to this round, it would be to a team that is ranked lower than 128, which seems unlikely. So I'll bring up those potential matchups again.

The 12 & 13 seeds (45-52 range) would potentially play teams in the 77-84 range (North Texas, UCLA, Liberty, Tulsa, Furman, Akron, Boise State, UNC), for the right to advance to the round of 64. So yes, any of those schools could lose.

Clearly there would still be an advantage for being a 1 seed over a 5 seed. Just think the gap isn't as big as it normally would be. There's a stark contrast between playing Georgia Tech or LIU-Brooklyn in the Round of 64. But, the difference between Georgia Tech and NC State really isn't quite as noticeable. So for that reason, I think it could diminish the regular season a bit when most good teams know that their spot is secured.

Wouldn’t it be 325-ish schools vying for the final 44 slots?

Honestly, I think once you get outside the top 35 or so teams, any upset is on the table. Wouldn’t be surprised at all to see a 165th ranked team upset the 68th ranked team.

The benefit of the top seeds is the bye into the Round of 64. That’s what you play for.

I find any discussion of UNC underachieving based on recruiting a bit odd. Last year maybe? They had a flat out terrible year with most of their team out hurt and grad transfers who sucked but they are always a crap shoot anyway.

Anyway, this idea seems silly to me but if they let all teams in then NC State could have a parade or something so there is always that.

Last edited:
Reactions: AWilli6995
I sure hope so. I'm thinking anywhere from 4-6 would be a good season in terms of conference but we have a lot of new faces coming in.

Don’t y’all have a top 3 class coming in? Would expect a top 3 class to finish at least top 4 in their own conference.

Don’t y’all have a top 3 class coming in? Would expect a top 3 class to finish at least top 4 in their own conference.

We shall see. I always said I rather have experience talent over inexperience talent. I don't think UNC is in anyone's preseason top 10.

We shall see. I always said I rather have experience talent over inexperience talent. I don't think UNC is in anyone's preseason top 10.

But weren’t you the one just saying that all of Duke’s inexperienced talent should have made a Final Four? Not the ACC top 4, the Final Four.

You’re confusing me, man.

But weren’t you the one just saying that all of Duke’s inexperienced talent should have made a Final Four? Not the ACC top 4, the Final Four.

You’re confusing me, man.

How many times has UNC had the #1 recruiting class in the last 5-6 years compared to Duke? UNC went to back to back title games with senior laden squads while Duke had multiple lottery picks. If you read my posts you would see I said recruiting titles, not the #2 or 3 classes. I see why it's confusing to you because all of a sudden you're a Duke homer and you're assuming what I said instead of what I wrote.

Last edited:
How many times has UNC had the #1 recruiting class in the last 5-6 years compared to Duke? UNC went to back to back title games with senior laden squads while Duke had multiple lottery picks. If you read my posts you would see I said recruiting titles, not the #2 or 3 classes. I see why it's confusing to you because all of a sudden you're a Duke homer and and you're assuming what I said instead of what I wrote.

Lol, okay. So a #1 recruiting class should win a title. A #2 recruiting class, just finishing top 6 in the ACC is solid.

Gotta love Tar Heel fans.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Lol, okay. So a #1 recruiting class should win a title. A #2 recruiting class, just finishing top 6 in the ACC is solid.

Well you're a fish out of water when it comes to winning something significant. Also if you're going to be a Duke homer/wing man you may wanna step up your effort because up to this point, it's been weak.

Well you're a fish out of water when it comes to winning something significant. Also if you're going to be a Duke homer/wing man you may wanna step up your effort because up to this point, it's been weak.

I think I’ve seen plenty of significant titles for FSU. No Duke wing man going on here. Just calling a Tar Heel on his ram crap.

Also I never said a #1 recruiting class should win a title. I said they should at least go to a FF.

I think I’ve seen plenty of significant titles for FSU. No Duke wing man going on here. Just calling a Tar Heel on his ram crap.

Read what I said again very slowly when you decided to chime in. I never said anything about winning a title, you did. I said it's underwhelming if they don't reach a FF. Don't worry, your wing man status is still intact.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT