ADVERTISEMENT

353-Team NCAA Tournament

The stable of big men in Chapel Hill is mighty impressive. Interested to see how quickly they can develop.

This is the sort of team Roy does well with. I think UNC should be right there with you all, Duke, and UVA. The conference is just so tough. There are probably other teams that are going to be really good as well.

Reactions: GE Nole
This is the sort of team Roy does well with. I think UNC should be right there with you all, Duke, and UVA. The conference is just so tough. There are probably other teams that are going to be really good as well.

My ACC top 5 coming into the season is UVA, Duke, FSU, UNC, UL. In that order. But Covid could mess things up in terms of getting freshmen acclimated.

Will there be early season warm up games? Or just right into league play? That will make a difference.

My ACC top 5 coming into the season is UVA, Duke, FSU, UNC, UL. In that order. But Covid could mess things up in terms of getting freshmen acclimated.

Will there be early season warm up games? Or just right into league play? That will make a difference.

Yeah, plus you never really know if anyone is going to opt out. I assume some players will. Then there are injuries. But overall I think your top four are the deepest and most talented. Then Louisville and maybe Miami also have talent.

Yeah, plus you never really know if anyone is going to opt out. I assume some players will. Then there are injuries. But overall I think your top four are the deepest and most talented. Then Louisville and maybe Miami also have talent.

Good point about opting out. Never know there.

Miami has good talent but as long as Lykes is the starting PG he will cost them too many games to finish top 5. Defensive liability and goes through some really inefficient stretches on O.

No because again you haven't read what I said. If anything that's a bitch ass question because you do more assuming than anything.

How is it fine to say a number 1 class should make a Final Four, but you can’t answer a question about expectations for a number 2 class? In what way does that make sense?

Reactions: dukedevilz
Good point about opting out. Never know there.

Miami has good talent but as long as Lykes is the starting PG he will cost them too many games to finish top 5. Defensive liability and goes through some really inefficient stretches on O.

I freaking love Lykes because he is so fun to watch but there is no doubt his efficiency is terrible. He is that dude in pickup that you hate playing with but can carry you on a winning streak or shoot you right out of it.

I freaking love Lykes because he is so fun to watch but there is no doubt his efficiency is terrible. He is that dude in pickup that you hate playing with but can carry you on a winning streak or shoot you right out of it.

Being in Florida I see a lot of Miami games. He was fun to watch his first year but now I just cringe. I’m just not used to seeing inefficient play like that. It’s crazy to me that Coach L just sort of lets him free lance and seems fine with building his “offense” around it.

Wang and their other young guard looked MUCH better when I saw them courtside in Tallahassee. Those dudes could take Miami to a top 5 finish if Lykes gets out of the way.

Being in Florida I see a lot of Miami games. He was fun to watch his first year but now I just cringe. I’m just not used to seeing inefficient play like that. It’s crazy to me that Coach L just sort of lets him free lance and seems fine with building his “offense” around it.

Wang and their other young guard looked MUCH better when I saw them courtside in Tallahassee. Those dudes could take Miami to a top 5 finish if Lykes gets out of the way.

No way he can do it though. Gunners can't get out of the way.

Reactions: GE Nole
Wouldn’t it be 325-ish schools vying for the final 44 slots?

Honestly, I think once you get outside the top 35 or so teams, any upset is on the table. Wouldn’t be surprised at all to see a 165th ranked team upset the 68th ranked team.

The benefit of the top seeds is the bye into the Round of 64. That’s what you play for.

I was referring to the round preceding the Round of 64. If you have 20 byes for the Round of 64, you have 44 spots open - hence 88 teams playing in the previous round (teams 21-108, if seeds hold to form). And you're right, any sub-50 team could easily lose to a team in the 100's. Wouldn't be surprising at all. A tournament that inclusive is going to look a lot like a tennis tournament, where you have a boatload of upsets in the 1st and 2nd round. So again, I don't know if there would be a substantial advantage for the pathway of a 1 seed and 5 seed. A little advantage, yes, but not quite like the traditional tournament. It greatly diminishes the importance of the regular season, especially when everyone is guaranteed a trip to the big dance.

That being said, there really is a limitless number of permutations for how the NCAA could format the tournament with some 346 teams. Perhaps the OOC and conference tournaments are nixed altogether... and everyone is sent into a regional bubble to vie for a round of 32 slot. Mark Emmert mentioned a couple of months ago that 32 teams would be more manageable. So, you could have 32 bubble-type tournaments, consisting of 10-11 schools, and the champion from each tournament advances to the NCAAs. They could arrange the tournaments so that no group has two schools from the same conference. Will be interesting to see if the NCAA actually entertains the idea that the ACC is pitching. Curious to know the vision of how the tournament would look.

I was referring to the round preceding the Round of 64. If you have 20 byes for the Round of 64, you have 44 spots open - hence 88 teams playing in the previous round (teams 21-108, if seeds hold to form). And you're right, any sub-50 team could easily lose to a team in the 100's. Wouldn't be surprising at all. A tournament that inclusive is going to look a lot like a tennis tournament, where you have a boatload of upsets in the 1st and 2nd round. So again, I don't know if there would be a substantial advantage for the pathway of a 1 seed and 5 seed. A little advantage, yes, but not quite like the traditional tournament. It greatly diminishes the importance of the regular season, especially when everyone is guaranteed a trip to the big dance.

That being said, there really is a limitless number of permutations for how the NCAA could format the tournament with some 346 teams. Perhaps the OOC and conference tournaments are nixed altogether... and everyone is sent into a regional bubble to vie for a round of 32 slot. Mark Emmert mentioned a couple of months ago that 32 teams would be more manageable. So, you could have 32 bubble-type tournaments, consisting of 10-11 schools, and the champion from each tournament advances to the NCAAs. They could arrange the tournaments so that no group has two schools from the same conference. Will be interesting to see if the NCAA actually entertains the idea that the ACC is pitching. Curious to know the vision of how the tournament would look.

Your last example is more realistic than just having a normal tourney with 356 teams, IMO.

The regular season is already going to be diminished this year. That’s why I’m not quite seeing the point of that argument. You can’t diminish something that is already significantly diminished. It’s not like this would be the format every season.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I find any discussion of UNC underachieving based on recruiting a bit odd. Last year maybe? They had a flat out terrible year with most of their team out hurt and grad transfers who sucked but they are always a crap shoot anyway.

Anyway, this idea seems silly to me but if they let all teams in then NC State could have a parade or something so there is always that.

Happens to every school, if we're being honest.

The 2010 UNC team massively underachieved. Had 10 top 50 guys on the team and finished 5-11 in the ACC.

Your last example is more realistic than just having a normal tourney with 356 teams, IMO.

The regular season is already going to be diminished this year. That’s why I’m not quite seeing the point of that argument. You can’t diminish something that is already significantly diminished. It’s not like this would be the format every season.

It certainly won't be the same. If there is an OOC season, however, then I don't see the point of an all-inclusive tournament. Seems a little early to just give up on the OOC season altogether. Planning for an alternative course, in the event that an OOC schedule isn't possible, seems sensible. I'd just much prefer to have this scenario as a last resort effort.

UNC just finished last in the ACC after having the second best recruiting class in the league. So...yeah.
tenor.gif

ADVERTISEMENT