ADVERTISEMENT

353-Team NCAA Tournament

dukedevilz

Apr 3, 2002

Wow. No thanks on the watered-down tournament, ACC and Coach K. The NCAA Tournament is supposed to be special.

Looks like this parody of a tournament expansion, produced by the Onion, was accurate.

If you had a tournament with all 353 schools, the top 159 teams would receive a bye to the round of 256 (how ridiculous does that sound?). Team #160 would play team #353. Team #161 would play team #352... and so forth. Too much. Some schools might end up cancelling the season anyway, but still... too much.

Reactions: rdgtr
If you had a tournament with all 353 schools, the top 159 teams would receive a bye to the round of 256 (how ridiculous does that sound?). Team #160 would play team #353. Team #161 would play team #352... and so forth. Too much. Some schools might end up cancelling the season anyway, but still... too much.
Don't put the idea in UVA heads on being the first school to lose to the lowest seed again. They're still defending champs.

Don't put the idea in UVA heads on being the first school to lose to the lowest seed again. They're still defending champs.

Oddly enough, UMBC finished last season at 256th in the KenPom rankings. That would be a perfect scenario for a 64-seed upsetting a 1-seed.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I think that's actually really, really cool.

Makes it a truly historic event, in a year when we could use it.

The logistics would be a nightmare, but still.

All for it.

Reactions: 407nole
Lmao.

All teams will make the NCAA tournament, all rosters must be constructed to match proportional location demographics, and playing time caps will be administered based on relative privilege as decided by an NCAA panel of Diversity and Inclusion.

Perfect 2020 tournament.

—-

Jokes aside, that proposal makes zero f**king sense given the environment that created the discussion.

Do we really want to expose 9000 year old Coach K to thousands of degrees of COVID separation? We don’t want him being part of the <1%.

Ehh. It would basically just combine the NCAA and conference tourneys. Because small conference tourneys are essentially NCAAT play-in games anyway.

Not sure all that much would change to be honest. Just different names.

Ehh. It would basically just combine the NCAA and conference tourneys. Because small conference tourneys are essentially NCAAT play-in games anyway.

No conference tournaments + the regular season means very little. No thanks.

38-1 still is 38-1

K always trying to help Afam U. Too bad they didn’t do this last year.

Huh? There’s gonna be regular season games. And probably some form of conference tourney bubbles.

Right, but the regular season means more if you're clawing your way through the season, trying to fight for a bid in the tournament. Even if you're an elite school that has a spot secured, you'd still be fighting for a top seed. The difference between a 1 seed and 5 seed doesn't seem like a huge deal if you're opening game is in the round of 256. It's quite substantial, however, if you're opening game is in the Round of 64.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
duke would of underachieved again IF a tournament would of been played.

Again? You mean like every school in the country? Duke has won more national titles than any other school since the tourney expanded to 64. Yes, we've fallen short quite a few times. But, so has everyone else.

Again? You mean like every school in the country? Duke has won more national titles than any other school since the tourney expanded to 64. Yes, we've fallen short quite a few times. But, so has everyone else.

Cashing in on at least 1 of those recruiting titles may take alleviate some of those flameouts. IMO with the talent and hype you guys bring in every year doesn't match the end result.

Cashing in on at least 1 of those recruiting titles may take alleviate some of those flameouts. IMO with the talent and hype you guys bring in every year doesn't match the end result.

You mean like the team in 2015 that had the freshmen score 60 of the 68 points in the title game?

Coach K has had exactly 4 NCAA Tournament teams that had more than 1 OAD - 2015, 2017, 2018, and 2019. 1 national title and 3 Elite Eights. Try harder.

Reactions: GE Nole
You mean like the team in 2015 that had the freshmen score 60 of the 68 points in the title game?

Coach K has had exactly 4 NCAA Tournament teams that had more than 1 OAD - 2015, 2017, 2018, and 2019. 1 national title and 3 Elite Eights. Try harder.

With that talent it should of been FF. No need to try harder, with that talent IMO Elite 8 is underwhelming.

With that talent it should of been FF. No need to try harder, with that talent IMO Elite 8 is underwhelming.

Yes, losing by 1 point in the Elite 8 is disgraceful. Probably never happened to any other school.

Yes, losing by 1 point in the Elite 8 is disgraceful. Probably never happened to any other school.

No, I never said it was disgraceful. Had this been UNC recruiting like this I would hold them to the same standard. For the past few seasons you guys win the off season but when the tournament starts you fall short. And yes I get everyone falls short a lot more than they win but when you're racking up top notch recruiting classes year in and year out and you can't make the final weekend, that's underachieving.

Hmmmmm, same can be said of UNc. And Duke didn’t not make the tournament twice since 2009.

No, I never said it was disgraceful. Had this been UNC recruiting like this I would hold them to the same standard. For the past few seasons you guys win the off season but when the tournament starts you fall short. And yes I get everyone falls short a lot more than they win but when you're racking up top notch recruiting classes year in and year out and you can't make the final weekend, that's underachieving.
Proof that recruiting rankings mean nothing. Unless you are an opposing fan.

I may of missed something. Who did duke play in the first round of the NCAA tournament this past March?
Nice. This is so great. I mention Afam U to get your goat and here you are.

Are you saying Duke would not have made the NCAA tourney and UNc would have.

So like I said, we're talking about 4 recruiting classes. We've won titles 25% of the time, then. Sounds awful. I'll take it.

Right, but the regular season means more if you're clawing your way through the season, trying to fight for a bid in the tournament. Even if you're an elite school that has a spot secured, you'd still be fighting for a top seed. The difference between a 1 seed and 5 seed doesn't seem like a huge deal if you're opening game is in the round of 256. It's quite substantial, however, if you're opening game is in the Round of 64.

Fighting for seed would still matter as much, imo. The difference between a 1 and a 5 seed might not matter much in the first or second round, but you will get to the round of 64 where the seeds matter as much as they ever did.

I can see how we lose out on teams fighting to get into the field of 64, though. Teams fighting for the first round bye won’t feel the same because we’d be talking about really bad teams.

So like I said, we're talking about 4 recruiting classes. We've won titles 25% of the time, then. Sounds awful. I'll take it.

The other 3 and not sniffing a FF isn't good but yes a title does take the sting out of falling short in other years.

nofu.gif

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
ADVERTISEMENT