ADVERTISEMENT

2021 NBA playoffs discussion thread

That was a fan-freaking-tastic game. Really the whole series was great.

I will own that earlier this year I was questioning on this board whether Giannis deserved to still be considered a top 3 player in the league. The last couple years’ flops in the playoffs were just hard to ignore and it didn’t look like this year would be much different. But man oh man, did he change that narrative. Dude was a flat out monster. Tip of the cap.

Side note—of course Middleton and Jrue were huge for Milwaukee. The Bucks don’t beat Atlanta without them. But one guy who doesn’t get enough credit, IMO, is Bobby Portis. He’s the perfect NBA role player.

That is some of the worst basketball I have ever watched. Horrible officiating and just awful play. Glad I dont watch NBA until the finals and might not watch the finals next year. Just awful all around. And the announcers are afraid to criticize the officials who play the play dead 5 seconds after a play.

15683366_0.jpg

Chris Paul is a super dirty player. One of the dirtiest players in the league.
Yea he never catches shit bc hes a great person off the court (i guess/assume) but your right.

Im no lebron or lakers fan, but paul had a dirty play on him in the first round pulling down on his arm while he was jumping.

Yea he never catches shit bc hes a great person off the court (i guess/assume) but your right.

Im no lebron or lakers fan, but paul had a dirty play on him in the first round pulling down on his arm while he was jumping.

I mean, we are talking about a guy who in college got mad at a made shot and sucked punched Julius Hodge in the groin while going back up court.

He’s dirty AF.

That is some of the worst basketball I have ever watched. Horrible officiating and just awful play. Glad I dont watch NBA until the finals and might not watch the finals next year. Just awful all around. And the announcers are afraid to criticize the officials who play the play dead 5 seconds after a play.
Your posts are so consistently terrible that I'm in awe.

Your posts are so consistently terrible that I'm in awe.
Appreciate the comment. Dont care, but appreciate it. If you dont like my opinion, either scroll on or dont. I dont give a shit. The NBA is the worst basketball on the planet. No fundamentals and they barely know how to play together. Look what happened to Booker when someone actually started guarding him in this series. He couldnt score. And dont get me started on the regular season. Geez.

Appreciate the comment. Dont care, but appreciate it. If you dont like my opinion, either scroll on or dont. I dont give a shit. The NBA is the worst basketball on the planet. No fundamentals and they barely know how to play together. Look what happened to Booker when someone actually started guarding him in this series. He couldnt score. And dont get me started on the regular season. Geez.
How old are you? "No fundamentals?" What was missing from this series, fundamentals wise? Was it the lack of 2-handed chest passes? The lack of a boring and inefficient low post game? Maybe too much, um, Euro-stepping by Giannis and not enough, er, Connaughton doing gym rat/coach's son/last guy in the gym stuff? Maybe you wanted even one former Dukie in the NBA Finals to slap the floor?

Is putting a bulldog defender on a scorer to shut him down not fundamentals? What about how Milwaukee's bigs did a good job challenging Booker and Paul on switches? Was it the tough shot making from Booker and CP3 and Middleton in the midrange (with beautiful footwork, btw) not classic fundamentals? What about Ayton's soft touch around the rim? We not including that anymore as a fundamental part of basketball? Clutch FT making by a dude with hands big enough to hold your ego?

The only "old man yells at cloud" take that really sticks to this particular series is how whiny Booker/CP3/Crowder are. Just insufferable all the time.

Edit: found the fundamentals issue. You're right, this is egregious. https://www.theonion.com/giannis-criticized-for-poor-footwork-while-hoisting-fin-1847330242.

How old are you? "No fundamentals?" What was missing from this series, fundamentals wise? Was it the lack of 2-handed chest passes? The lack of a boring and inefficient low post game? Maybe too much, um, Euro-stepping by Giannis and not enough, er, Connaughton doing gym rat/coach's son/last guy in the gym stuff? Maybe you wanted even one former Dukie in the NBA Finals to slap the floor?

Is putting a bulldog defender on a scorer to shut him down not fundamentals? What about how Milwaukee's bigs did a good job challenging Booker and Paul on switches? Was it the tough shot making from Booker and CP3 and Middleton in the midrange (with beautiful footwork, btw) not classic fundamentals? What about Ayton's soft touch around the rim? We not including that anymore as a fundamental part of basketball? Clutch FT making by a dude with hands big enough to hold your ego?

The only "old man yells at cloud" take that really sticks to this particular series is how whiny Booker/CP3/Crowder are. Just insufferable all the time.

Edit: found the fundamentals issue. You're right, this is egregious. https://www.theonion.com/giannis-criticized-for-poor-footwork-while-hoisting-fin-1847330242.

That guy is apparently as educated on basketball as UNC athletes were on their majors.

FT% across the NBA averaged over 77% this year, up 3-4% from Jordan’s heyday in the mid-90s.

Three point percentage is also up 3-4% league wide compared to the mid-90s, despite threes being taken at triple or sometimes quadruple the
volume, and from further away.

Assist percentages are up, turnover percentages are down. Blocks, however, remain about the same, proving that legit rim protection is still a thing despite what old times like to yell about the league getting soft.

In short, there are BETTER fundamentals now than in the mid-90s, the game is played at a faster pace, defenses are forced to cover far more actual space, and the league has never deeper with talent than what we see today.

Pretty obvious you either dont watch or are just not paying attention. Sorry, our opinions disagree.

That guy is apparently as educated on basketball as UNC athletes were on their majors.

FT% across the NBA averaged over 77% this year, up 3-4% from Jordan’s heyday in the mid-90s.

Three point percentage is also up 3-4% league wide compared to the mid-90s, despite threes being taken at triple or sometimes quadruple the
volume, and from further away.

Assist percentages are up, turnover percentages are down. Blocks, however, remain about the same, proving that legit rim protection is still a thing despite what old times like to yell about the league getting soft.

In short, there are BETTER fundamentals now than in the mid-90s, the game is played at a faster pace, defenses are forced to cover far more actual space, and the league has never deeper with talent than what we see today.
NBA basketball is horrible.

Totally unrelated to anything but what happened to the ignore feature on this site????

What can u expect when someone opens a thread called “nba playoffs theread” to educate us all on how much the nba sucks and that ypu hate it.

cool story bro

Reactions: GE Nole
Talk about the exhibit A for “I have no evidence to refute anything you just said but I will repeat my incorrect statement.”
So what you are saying is that if I refute any or all of your thoughts on the attached thread, you will change your mind?

I dont deny the athletes are the best in the world, but I just dont like the game. If you call defense, grabbing and not letting the man maneuver around the floor, or the refs completely ignoring certain violations and blowing the whistle after a guy misses a shot instead of during the act. Or taking 30 minutes to play 2 of basketball. The soccer type falling to the floor, Conaughton the other night. Sure, enjoy yourself.

This is not the hoops I grew up playing, watching and loving.

It is all theater and for social media.

But to say an 82 game schedule is useless and walking through defense and then playing hard in the playoffs is a sport, have at it. I tried to watch the playoffs, but just unwatchable terrible basketball IMO.

Great athletes though.

A DUKE fan complaining of players flopping???

So what you are saying is that if I refute any or all of your thoughts on the attached thread, you will change your mind?

I dont deny the athletes are the best in the world, but I just dont like the game. If you call defense, grabbing and not letting the man maneuver around the floor, or the refs completely ignoring certain violations and blowing the whistle after a guy misses a shot instead of during the act. Or taking 30 minutes to play 2 of basketball. The soccer type falling to the floor, Conaughton the other night. Sure, enjoy yourself.

This is not the hoops I grew up playing, watching and loving.

It is all theater and for social media.

But to say an 82 game schedule is useless and walking through defense and then playing hard in the playoffs is a sport, have at it. I tried to watch the playoffs, but just unwatchable terrible basketball IMO.

Great athletes though.

You said there were bad fundamentals. I provided direct evidence that demonstrates how the fundamentals are actually better now than in previous eras.

These aren’t just great athletes. They are more skilled at basketball than previous eras. They are better basketball players with more efficient offense. And while the defense looks lost at times, it’s actually a product of having to defend FAR more space than what was required to defend 30 years ago.

If you don’t like the refs, fine. If you don’t like people flopping, fine (although pretty ironic considering all the flopping Duke does).

But your statement about fundamentals is not accurate and I demonstrated evidence why.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
You said there were bad fundamentals. I provided direct evidence that demonstrates how the fundamentals are actually better now than in previous eras.

These aren’t just great athletes. They are more skilled at basketball than previous eras. They are better basketball players with more efficient offense. And while the defense looks lost at times, it’s actually a product of having to defend FAR more space than what was required to defend 30 years ago.

If you don’t like the refs, fine. If you don’t like people flopping, fine (although pretty ironic considering all the flopping Duke does).

But your statement about fundamentals is not accurate and I demonstrated evidence why.
Duke flops no more or less than most teams. I doubt you agree, but once again, dont care.

And they may look like fundamentals to you, but not to me.

One on one offense maybe, but not a fluid basketball offense, all 5 players moving in unison and organized.

Your center sets a pick and then the guard drives, takes a thee or passes. Wow, two guys in the corners waiting for a pass to take a late second 3 and one guy on the perimeter as an outlet if the two guys can connect. Pretty much all you see for 80% of an NBA game. Boring. And then the traveling and refs making up shit as they go along, looking like their calls arent even in the same game and I will pass.

Sounds good, thabks for your opinion. Maybe dont watch the nba going foward if it triggers such a strong emotion of hate within you, idk thats obv ur decision.

Kudos for giving it a try during postseason, thats the only time ill ever watch a game unless i bet on it.

i did enjoy this years playoffs, i guess bc it was pretty wide open for a change. I absolutely loathe the years like the 3 straight where everyone and their mom knew it was gonna be gsw vs cleveland in the finals, making every other game basically irrelevant.

The nba will miss having you as a fan, but i have a feeling they will be all right in the long run.

Reactions: GE Nole
Sounds good, thabks for your opinion. Maybe dont watch the nba going foward if it triggers such a strong emotion of hate within you, idk thats obv ur decision.

Kudos for giving it a try during postseason, thats the only time ill ever watch a game unless i bet on it.

i did enjoy this years playoffs, i guess bc it was pretty wide open for a change. I absolutely loathe the years like the 3 straight where everyone and their mom knew it was gonna be gsw vs cleveland in the finals, making every other game basically irrelevant.

The nba will miss having you as a fan, but i have a feeling they will be all right in the long run.
Thanks. That means a lot.

Yea caught that bad boy last week. Got a farm pond thats usually covered in that grassy ish and u cant hardly fish it, but for sone reason the grassy stuff wasnt floating so i could actually fish. I also saw a beaver in the pond and i mean we are talking 8-10 ft deep maybe 1/4 acre pond with no running water in or out unless it rains alot and the levy drains, so not sure what that ****ers doing there but if him swimming around is knockin that grass down ima leave him alone.

ADVERTISEMENT