ADVERTISEMENT

2020 NCAA National Champion Memphis Tigers

Hank_

Gold Member
Mar 31, 2017
Lose by 40 to Tulsa, after trailing 40-17 at the half.

Reactions: tw3301
Memphis State Title winners.
Hmmmmm

So youre basing this on the 2014 Title winners Uconn who lost 3 times to UofL. Once by 33.

Gotcha.

Do what you want; just put it into context. That’s not hard!
The context doesn't add anything to the situation at all. Did K guarantee a title last year with a much more talented roster than Memphis' this year (including Wiseman)?? No, because he isn't a self promoting, overly confident dick.

The context doesn't add anything to the situation at all. Did K guarantee a title last year with a much more talented roster than Memphis' this year (including Wiseman)?? No, because he isn't a self promoting, overly confident dick.

Has nothing to do with K. And coming from a fan base that has made 40-0 a verb, let’s not judge those who make guarantees.

You really think Penny would guarantee a title with JUST this roster at the beginning of the year? Context

Has nothing to do with K. And coming from a fan base that has made 40-0 a verb, let’s not judge those who make guarantees.

You really think Penny would guarantee a title with JUST this roster at the beginning of the year? Context
Context doesn't mean shit when its pretty clear he wasn't going to win much even with Wiseman, though. You can try and back him all you want, most of us can see it was an idiotic claim to begin with.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Has nothing to do with K.
It does have something to do with K, and all other coaches. Because those coaches are smart enough to not guarantee a national title based on a recruiting class.

You really think Penny would guarantee a title with JUST this roster at the beginning of the year?
It doesn't matter if he would have or not, it was a stupid ass guarantee to make even with the roster he had.

And coming from a fan base that has made 40-0 a verb, let’s not judge those who make guarantees.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: This is just a completely dumbass argument. "Some fans thought their team was going to go 40-0 and ended up going 38-1, thats totally the same thing as a head coach promising a title and then losing to Tulsa by 40 points."

Context doesn't mean shit when its pretty clear he wasn't going to win much even with Wiseman, though. You can try and back him all you want, most of us can see it was an idiotic claim to begin with.

Context means everything if you’re judging him based on past comments that don’t mean shit today since conditions have changed.

I get UK fans are pissed at Penny/Memphis and for Wiseman choosing Memphis over Kentucky, but context still matters.

If you can show me a statement from Penny that says “Memphis will win it all WITH OR WITHOUT Wiseman” then I’m not interested.

Context means everything if you’re judging him based on past comments that don’t mean shit today since conditions have changed.

I get UK fans are pissed at Penny/Memphis and for Wiseman choosing Memphis over Kentucky, but context still matters.
Even you don't believe one player changes a team from getting blown out by Tulsa to title contender. Doesn't work that way in this sport. I get you're obsessed with UK, but we really have nothing to do with this.

Even you don't believe one player changes a team from getting blown out by Tulsa to title contender. Doesn't work that way in this sport. I get you're obsessed with UK, but we really have nothing to do with this.

You think Tulsa blows out Memphis with Wiseman?

Imagine not realizing how stupid it is to guarantee a national title before the season even starts, and acting like the only reason UK fans could find such a prediction funny is that they missed on a recruit.

Newsflash: UK misses on tons of recruits, even when the head coach doesn't directly give the family $10k+.

I will mock the next head coach that guarantees a national title (which I bet doesn't happen in the foreseeable future, as most coaches aren't idiots) as well. Simply because its a dumb ass thing to do.

You think Tulsa blows out Memphis with Wiseman?
Probably not, but that's not what Penny's original claim was. It was "win the title." That's quite a different bar than "not get blown out by Tulsa."

Its not all black and white, Q. You can be competitive with Tulsa and still have very little shot at a title. Which is what Memphis would be if they still had Wiseman.

Reactions: Big_Blue79

I’m obsessed with UK? UK fans started this thread and are the main posters in here. I’m sure Penny’s claims wouldn’t fit on UK’s radar if he hadn’t taken a player most thought were going to Kentucky.

I’m obsessed with UK? UK fans started this thread and are the main posters in here. I’m sure Penny’s claims wouldn’t fit on UK’s radar if he hadn’t taken a player most thought were going to Kentucky.
So what? The topic and quote have nothing to do with Kentucky. Only one person has brought UK up in the entire thread, that is you.

While we’re laughing, with the way this season has gone, Memphis *could* still win it all. No championship winner this season should surprise anyone.

So what? The topic and quote have nothing to do with Kentucky. Only one person has brought UK up in the entire thread, that is you.

And yet a Kentucky fan started the post and 3 others have commented. Not a coincidence.

A Louisville fan and two Duke fans have posted in here as well. What are you smoking this morning, dude? Just trolling to troll?

Asking a certain fan base to put Penny’s guarantee into context is trolling? Sheesh!

I’m sure Penny *isnt* a topic on Rupp’s Rafters, either Winking

But I’m obsessed!

Asking a certain fan base to put Penny’s guarantee into context is trolling? Sheesh!
If you aren't trolling, you have a hilariously bad take on the situation.

To be clear, you don't think it was stupid for Penny to guarantee a national title before he had coached the team in a single game?

I’m sure Penny *isnt* a topic on Rupp’s Rafters, either Winking
Imagine that, talking about college basketball on a college basketball forum. You realize people can discuss topics without being obsessed? When you start talking about a subject all the time, when it isn't even the subject currently being discussed, that is when you start to look obsessed.

If you aren't trolling, you have a hilariously bad take on the situation.

To be clear, you don't think it was stupid for Penny to guarantee a national title before he had coached the team in a single game?

You think Penny makes that guarantee if Wiseman goes to Kentucky?

I’m not sure what you’re doing here? I’ve answered your question about context 2 or 3 times now. It didn’t matter if he had Wiseman or not, it was a dumb claim and he knows it. Everyone apparently knows it except you. I’ll wait for your next post to include something about Kentucky

You think Penny makes that guarantee if Wiseman goes to Kentucky?
A sure sign someone isn't arguing in good faith is when they refuse to answer a direct question. You realize his statement was stupid, or your argument is stupid otherwise you'd answer the question I just asked you.

No, he wouldn't have guaranteed it. That doesn't make the guarantee he made any less idiotic. Happy?

As it has been pointed out several times already, that is irrelevant.

Are you incapable of answering the question I asked you? Quit deflecting and answering questions with q

Irrelevant? Did Penny make those claims last year WITHOUT Wiseman? Wonder what recruit caused him to make that guarantee this year? Hint: he’s no longer on the team.

A sure sign someone isn't arguing in good faith is when they refuse to answer a direct question. You realize his statement was stupid, or your argument is stupid otherwise you'd answer the question I just asked you.

No, he wouldn't have guaranteed it. That doesn't make the guarantee he made any less idiotic. Happy?

Great

Best player on that team is Precious Achiewa. Wiseman would’ve obv made a difference, but they were a sweet 16 team at best.
I think they could have been a final four team and challenged for a title, guaranteeing said title was stupid though (as everyone but one person seems to agree.)

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
ADVERTISEMENT