ADVERTISEMENT

2020 NCAA National Champion Memphis Tigers

I think they could have been a final four team and challenged for a title, guaranteeing said title was stupid though (as everyone but one person seems to agree.)

Never said that comment wasn’t stupid to make; I (like you) understood why it was made (at the time).

Some people like a trash talking coach that say crazy things. But I don’t.

Never said that comment wasn’t stupid to make; I (like you) understood why it was made (at the time).

Some people like a trash talking coach that say crazy things. But I don’t.
Except I (like most in this thread) don't understand why he he would make that guarantee.

It is stupid, serves no purpose, puts a target on your teams back and sets you up to be laughed at when you fail to deliver. Maybe some people want their coach out in public making stupid guarantees that he can't deliver, but I'm pretty sure that those folks are a tiny minority.

"Fans making predictions and the head coach guaranteeing a title are the same thing!"

Damn, didn’t know there was a second thread about this same topic.SmokinSmile

You’re right! Fans and coaches that make predictions like this are pretty stupid!

Reactions: UL_1986
Damn, didn’t know there was a second thread about this same topic.SmokinSmile

You’re right! Fans and coaches that make predictions like this are pretty stupid!
Hey, the first comment you've made on the subject that actually makes sense. Congrats!

Except I (like most in this thread) don't understand why he he would make that guarantee.

It is stupid, serves no purpose, puts a target on your teams back and sets you up to be laughed at when you fail to deliver. Maybe some people want their coach out in public making stupid guarantees that he can't deliver, but I'm pretty sure that those folks are a tiny minority.

I’m assuming Penny, with a top ranked recruiting class that included the No. 1 player, looked at the landscape of college basketball and thought to himself “why not us?” He just so happen to say it out loud.

Last edited:
Has nothing to do with K. And coming from a fan base that has made 40-0 a verb, let’s not judge those who make guarantees.

You really think Penny would guarantee a title with JUST this roster at the beginning of the year? Context
Even still, guaranteeing a title is pretty stupid.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
People on Twitter bashed and are continutely bashing Penny for a)the claim and b) losing to Tulsa (by 40).., and they're not UK fans.

Even after losing by 40, Memphis—this season—could still win it all! Not because they’re good or Penny is a great coach, but because college basketball is down.

Technically, his guarantee is still in play. Let’s see what happens in March.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Even after losing by 40, Memphis—this season—could still win it all! Not because they’re good or Penny is a great coach, but because college basketball is down.

Technically, his guarantee is still in play. Let’s see what happens in March.
Great, but right now, let's talk about what happened last night. Winking

to be fair, I'm not the head coach, and it's not a title.

So, let’s be fair to your claim, but not extend that same context to the coach. Gotcha.

Regular people can say stupid shit, but those with titles can’t. Trump isn’t going to like that!

Not sure how anyone could be mad.

Penny said he wanted “ALL THE SMOKE”, and Frank Haith gave it to him.

Reactions: kyjeff1
It does have something to do with K, and all other coaches. Because those coaches are smart enough to not guarantee a national title based on a recruiting class.

It doesn't matter if he would have or not, it was a stupid ass guarantee to make even with the roster he had.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: This is just a completely dumbass argument. "Some fans thought their team was going to go 40-0 and ended up going 38-1, thats totally the same thing as a head coach promising a title and then losing to Tulsa by 40 points."
The 40-0 talk began with the 2013-2014 team.

FYI

The 40-0 talk began with the 2013-2014 team.

FYI
Not really, since they lost to Michigan State in like the second game of the season.

And the point is apparently flying over your head here. You cannot draw parallels between a minority of fans saying "I think we are good enough to go 40-0 this year", and a head coach saying "I guarantee an NCAA title this year" which is exactly what the post I replied to tried to do.

Not really, since they lost to Michigan State in like the second game of the season.

And the point is apparently flying over your head here. You cannot draw parallels between a minority of fans saying "I think we are good enough to go 40-0 this year", and a head coach saying "I guarantee an NCAA title this year" which is exactly what the post I replied to tried to do.
Yes really.

Kentucky had what was supposed to be one of the greatest recruiting classes in history that year. That class was supposed to be extremely deep as well, rivaling the 2007 class. Off the top of my head you had Randle and the Twins, with all 3 players being "good enough to be taken #1 in the 2013 NBA draft" (something like that).

40-0 talk began that October. Some gambling outlet said they'd take bets at either 300-1 or 400-1 for it happening. It was talked about on this board. Then they lost and it died down until the next season.

But 2013, that was the year that 40-0/Kentucky became a thing. 95% of any 40-0 talk after that was mainly just ridiculing the idea of it ever happening in the first place (even though it nearly happened the following season).

Yes really.

Kentucky had what was supposed to be one of the greatest recruiting classes in history that year. That class was supposed to be extremely deep as well, rivaling the 2007 class. Off the top of my head you had Randle and the Twins, with all 3 players being "good enough to be taken #1 in the 2013 NBA draft" (something like that).

40-0 talk began that October. Some gambling outlet said they'd take bets at either 300-1 or 400-1 for it happening. It was talked about on this board. Then they lost and it died down until the next season.

But 2013, that was the year that 40-0/Kentucky became a thing. 95% of any 40-0 talk after that was mainly just ridiculing the idea of it ever happening in the first place (even though it nearly happened the following season).

Not that it actually matters, since you are arguing semantics and not the actual argument being made, but... link? Literally no one was convinced UK was going 40-0 during that season. And I'm not talking about a random fan or two. Show me a contingency of UK fans talking about how we were going 40-0 that year. A sports book taking bets on it doesn't mean UK fans thought it was going to happen.

Literally the only thing I can find about 40-0 that year is Calipari saying he would like to go 40-0 sometime in his career.

As for all that undefeated talk: "I've said before I retire, I would love to coach a team that goes 40-0. I've said it for 8-10 years. Will that happen? I don't know. … We don't talk about it as a team. It's not like, 'Oh, we're going 40-0.' We don't. The way we do this is a process. … I've had three teams almost did it (and) you may not go 40-0, but you're doing special things."​

Last edited:
Not that it actually matters, since you are arguing semantics and not the actual argument being made, but... link? Literally no one was convinced UK was going 40-0 during that season. And I'm not talking about a random fan or two. Show me a contingency of UK fans talking about how we were going 40-0 that year. A sports book taking bets on it doesn't mean UK fans thought it was going to happen.
The argument is about Penny Hardaway and Memphis. I have no desire to talk about that.

Here's a couple of links that support the idea that 40-0 was real in October of 2013. So real that people took bets on it and somebody started selling 40-0 t-shirts. IIRC, the memes started popping up in November of 2013 that ridiculed the whole idea of 40-0. You know, the regular memes of the African kids excited about the t-shirts being on the way, stuff like that.

Nearly everytime 40-0 has come up since then is as a joke based off of 40-0 actually being talked about in 2013.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaa...ives-kentucky-slim-hope-190419898--ncaab.html

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/kentucky-40-items-pulled/story?id=30050701

He wasn't winning shit with Wiseman either.
Someone has to win shit this year and it could've been Memphis with Wiseman, heck it could be Memphis without Wiseman.

Even you don't believe one player changes a team from getting blown out by Tulsa to title contender. Doesn't work that way in this sport. I get you're obsessed with UK, but we really have nothing to do with this.
You love cherry picking random 1 game samples to prove whether a team is good or bad when we've got a much larger sample size to work with.

Duke lost to Stephen F Austin and UK lost to Evansville, they're both still title contenders right?

Why does one awful loss in November/December/January prevent you from being able to cut down the nets in April?

Someone has to win shit this year and it could've been Memphis with Wiseman, heck it could be Memphis without Wiseman.

You love cherry picking random 1 game samples to prove whether a team is good or bad when we've got a much larger sample size to work with.

Duke lost to Stephen F Austin and UK lost to Evansville, they're both still title contenders right?

Why does one awful loss in November/December/January prevent you from being able to cut down the nets in April?
Oh give me a break. They've lost to three unranked teams, a couple of them are absolutely terrible. Georgia, Wichita State, Tulsa. But yes, continue to go on about how they have a chance to win the title.

KenPom Rankings
Tulsa: 74
South Carolina: 99
Stephen F. Austin: 116
Evansville: 286

Oh give me a break. They've lost to three unranked teams, a couple of them are absolutely terrible. Georgia, Wichita State, Tulsa. But yes, continue to go on about how they have a chance to win the title.
Those are all top 100 KenPom teams and Wichita State actually is 39th so they'd qualify as being a "good" team this year.

UK and Duke's losses are worse than what Memphis has; we'd be huge hypocrites to say they have no shot at winning a title now while our programs do.

Context means everything if you’re judging him based on past comments that don’t mean shit today since conditions have changed.

I get UK fans are pissed at Penny/Memphis and for Wiseman choosing Memphis over Kentucky, but context still matters.

If that is the case Roy should get some slack from you guys for being competitive after losing so many players to injury and playing with a roster that all are banged up outside of two dudes. Since context matters and all.

Regardless, Penny has said a lot of dumb things. Recently he has owned it at least. Seems to better understand the role he needs to play. Good for him.

Those are all top 100 KenPom teams and Wichita State actually is 39th so they'd qualify as being a "good" team this year.

UK and Duke's losses are worse than what Memphis has; we'd be huge hypocrites to say they have no shot at winning a title now while our programs do.
Memphis has proven absolutely nothing this season. Zero. Zilch. People want to believe they have a chance, but why? You guys just looking at the recruits they've signed for this season?

Because I've been told for years now that you can't judge a team based solely on recruits brought in.

Memphis has proven absolutely nothing this season. Zero. Zilch. People want to believe they have a chance, but why? You guys just looking at the recruits they've signed for this season?

Because I've been told for years now that you can't judge a team based solely on recruits brought in.
They're extremely unlikely to win the title but that was the case before they got skull smashed by Tulsa. Their championship hoped ended right after Wiseman left town.

With Wiseman in this talent drain year of CBB? Oh yeah, they'd be in the mix unless Penny is just a horrible coach.

They're extremely unlikely to win the title but that was the case before they got skull smashed by Tulsa. Their championship hoped ended right after Wiseman left town.

With Wiseman in this talent drain year of CBB? Oh yeah, they'd be in the mix unless Penny is just a horrible coach.
But why would you expect him to be anything but below average at this point? Memphis is and always has been a paper tiger this year. They had one proven commodity and that was Wiseman. They wouldn't have had nearly enough even with him to win the title. You know this.

None of this stuff matters. Whether Wiseman was eligible for the entire season or not, it is incredibly sophomoric to predict a title before the season even started when you're the coach.

It's one thing gor fans (short for fanatics) to say crap like that, but it's extremely foolish fir tge coach to do it. Especially when he's a first year coach at this level and only has AAU experience.

Penny.made a lot of dumb statements when he took the job and landed a few recruits, now he has to pay the piper.

I think the point of this thread is the stupidity of Penny's statements, let the product on the floor do the talking.

Reactions: pyrrhicgorilla

I really don't see UK as having much of a chance to win a title. In fact I would be shocked as shit if they even got close to winning the SEC.

ADVERTISEMENT