ADVERTISEMENT

Portal thread?

Sounds like there’s some guys prioritizing NIL over playing time,

Super loaded rosters happen quite often with blue bloods. The funny thing is, all 10-11 guys believe they'll have big roles and play 20+ minutes...

I think it's a lot easier to do now, though, because you know most guys are going pro/transferring anyway. Might as well stack the roster.

Reactions: Blueheart32
Kinda weird to pursue another guy who can’t shoot but I do like his defensive versatility. 7.5 points per game means he’ll likely be our leading scorer. Thoughts @GE Nole and @dukedevilz?

He's a good athlete, long arms, and can defend. So, that aspect will work really well in UVA's system. Also gotta love his ball security. Better than 2.5 ast/to ratio.

But, the big question mark has always been, "can he shoot?" It's hard to have success as a lead guard if you can't shoot; it's a lot easier to pack it in the paint when you can leave someone mostly unguarded from the perimeter. Shooting is problem number 1, 2, and 3 for Warley. He could be better at finishing at the rim and handling PnR. But the shooting aspect has got to be addressed this offseason. Doesn't need to be elite, just serviceable.

Omoruyi to Alabama! Wow! Bama has taken down UNC twice this year. They're a legit title contender, provided Mark Sears return. Great chance they start the preseason ranked #2, just behind Kansas.

Kind funny/interesting that Rylan Griffen transferred to KU... and then Labaron Philon decommitted from KU and gave a verbal to Alabama. Kind of worked out like a trade, even though KU obviously received more value.

Labaron Philon

Reactions: P.G.S.
Super loaded rosters happen quite often with blue bloods. The funny thing is, all 10-11 guys believe they'll have big roles and play 20+ minutes...

I think it's a lot easier to do now, though, because you know most guys are going pro/transferring anyway. Might as well stack the roster.
Being told Sion has committed

Omoruyi to Alabama! Wow! Bama has taken down UNC twice this year. They're a legit title contender, provided Mark Sears return. Great chance they start the preseason ranked #2, just behind Kansas.

Kind funny/interesting that Rylan Griffen transferred to KU... and then Labaron Philon decommitted from KU and gave a verbal to Alabama. Kind of worked out like a trade, even though KU obviously received more value.

Labaron Philon
Still need another PF/C imo.

Heck yeah! Love it! He very well could be the most versatile player on Duke not named Cooper Flagg. We should be really good on switches next season!

Would you say maybe 10-15 minutes? Between Nelson, Omoruyi, and Stevenson I'd say most of those minutes are covered.
Nelson and Stevenson need most of their minutes to come from the 4 spot instead of the 5....... especially Stevenson. Nelson improved down low as the year went on but 6'1" Sears guarded the rim about as well as Stevenson did last year. Lol Hopefully the freshman Sherrell can hold down the 5 spot with quality minutes.

Labaron Philon
Astronomically high price tag.

Not sure what plan C is.

Nelson and Stevenson need most of their minutes to come from the 4 spot instead of the 5....... especially Stevenson. Nelson improved down low as the year went on but 6'1" Sears guarded the rim about as well as Stevenson did last year. Lol Hopefully the freshman Sherrell can hold down the 5 spot with quality minutes.

Forgot about Sherell. I'd say your roster is about set at this point. Anyone else would just be an insurance player.

Nelson and Omoruyi starting - with Stevenson and Sherell off the bench. And I'd bet Nelson/Stevenson do see most of their time at the 4, though I kind of like Nelson at the 5. Makes Alabama freaky hard to defend when all 5 guys on the court can exploit you from almost anywhere on the court.

Reactions: P.G.S.
Astronomically high price tag.

Not sure what plan C is.

If 2 million is what he was offered, then yes, way over priced. He might be Bama's 3rd best player.

Quality bigs are very limited. JT Toppin and Great Osobor might be the only truly proven bigs still available. I don't think Coleman Hawkins is returning.

Ugonna Onyenso and Keba Keita offer some value. Achor Achor can play the 5, and he often did at Samford, but I think he's better suited to play the 4. After that, might have to look at some bigs from mid-majors.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne

Who are Goodman's sources lol? UConn, sure. I can buy that. But Alabama and Baylor are both clearly stacked in NIL funding. I wouldn't be surprised if they're both in the top 5

.....UConn bros assured me that they're among the highes

I'm sure they still have a decent amount, but are they in the top 10 of NIL collectives? I highly doubt it. Maybe somewhere in the top 25.

Newton, Karaban, and Clingan didn't enter the portal last year. When 3 of your starters don't go to the portal, trying to leverage more money, you clearly save quite a bit. Stephon Castle was a top 10 recruit, so he would have cost a pretty penny. And UConn did have the #5 recruiting class. Cam Spencer, the final starter, was considered a good pickup. But, I don't think anyone pegged him as an HM All-American. I'd say they got really good value, money-wise, for 4 of their 5 starters.

And it's not to say UConn can't compete for elite prospects with blue bloods and other well-funded schools. If they manage their funds well, retain players, get discounts on some players because of the recent championships and Hurley, they'll be able to spend a little more for a Liam McNeeley or an Aidan Mahaney. UConn can still attract quality talents, but they probably can't go crazy spending 1.5 M on players like certain schools.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Norchad Omier to Baylor. Drew killing it

Also hear that UVA is getting TJ Power from Duke. Would love his shooting

Reactions: TKBray
Norchad Omier to Baylor. Drew killing it

Also hear that UVA is getting TJ Power from Duke. Would love his shooting

Going to be tough for me seeing Omier play in another uniform next season. I'm a big fan of him and it was a joy watching him play for my team the last two seasons.

The top of the Big 12 is going to be brutal.

Reactions: jhmossy
Going to be tough for me seeing Omier play in another uniform next season. I'm a big fan of him and it was a joy watching him play for my team the last two seasons.

The top of the Big 12 is going to be brutal.
don't worry, you've still got 7 years left on Nigel Pack's deal!

• Haha
Reactions: TKBray and jhmossy
Quality bigs are very limited. JT Toppin and Great Osobor might be the only truly proven bigs still available.
And both may just end up at Texas Tech if Toppin doesn't go pro.

Love It Wow GIF by Wrexham AFC

Reactions: dukedevilz
Forgot about Sherell. I'd say your roster is about set at this point. Anyone else would just be an insurance player.

Nelson and Omoruyi starting - with Stevenson and Sherell off the bench. And I'd bet Nelson/Stevenson do see most of their time at the 4, though I kind of like Nelson at the 5. Makes Alabama freaky hard to defend when all 5 guys on the court can exploit you from almost anywhere on the court.
I agree but Nelson can't defend a true big man inside.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Wild to think that the highest rated UVA recruit in the Tony Bennett era struggled to see playing time at Duke. We truly are a spoiled fanbase.

Absolutely. Hope Kon is on a UVA roster in 12 months as well

Absolutely. Hope Kon is on a UVA roster in 12 months as well

Recruiting the 5-stars that aren't likely to start for Duke is a very smart thing. Relationships are already established.

And I do worry about Kon. With Sion James potentially joining Duke soon, playing time could be sparse. He's going to have to beat out some of his fellow freshmen to just get rotational minutes. Love his upside. Could be a fantastic collegiate player.

Reactions: jhmossy
Recruiting the 5-stars that aren't likely to start for Duke is a very smart thing. Relationships are already established.

And I do worry about Kon. With Sion James potentially joining Duke soon, playing time could be sparse. He's going to have to beat out some of his fellow freshmen to just get rotational minutes. Love his upside. Could be a fantastic collegiate player.

Conspiracy theorist in me says Scheyer is only offering guys like Power and Kon so they don’t go to UVA

Trent Noah decommits from South Carolina. Have to think UK is the favorite to get him, right?
Yep. Guaranteed. Loves cousin f uckin’ too much, & when told we don’t do that in the palmetto state, he asked for a release from his NLI.

ADVERTISEMENT