ADVERTISEMENT

UConn's roster construction

boilerzz

Jul 5, 2002
Team
Purdue
I feel like UConn had ideal roster construction for the new era we are operating in. Looking at their starting five:

• They had a couple of very good players in Clingan and Karaban that they recruited. They were role players in prior years but not good enough to go pro and they got better and became more prominent players.
  • They had a multi year transfer in Newton that you could say the same as above.
  • They brought in a stud freshman in Castle who understood the team dynamic and wasn't focused on being the alpha. He clearly bought into the vision.
  • They went into last offseason looking at what they needed and then went into the portal and got it in Spencer. They really only had one consistent outside shooting threat so they needed to upgrade there and they got the ancillary benefit of being experienced, crafty and also defensive minded.

Now, some of that is good fortune as they missed out on guys they wanted in front of above players. But I feel like a blend of experience, a dynamic freshman and selective portal additions is the way to go. I think the schools who have leaned heavily on multiple freshmen will continue to struggle on the big stage. You may find the occasional team that hit the portal hard and brings in a bunch of mercs who has high level success but I'm not sure that's a consistent recipe for success. And the teams that refuse to operate in the portal will be left behind.

I feel like UConn had ideal roster construction for the new era we are operating in. Looking at their starting five:

• They had a couple of very good players in Clingan and Karaban that they recruited. They were role players in prior years but not good enough to go pro and they got better and became more prominent players.
  • They had a multi year transfer in Newton that you could say the same as above.
  • They brought in a stud freshman in Castle who understood the team dynamic and wasn't focused on being the alpha. He clearly bought into the vision.
  • They went into last offseason looking at what they needed and then went into the portal and got it in Spencer. They really only had one consistent outside shooting threat so they needed to upgrade there and they got the ancillary benefit of being experienced, crafty and also defensive minded.

Now, some of that is good fortune as they missed out on guys they wanted in front of above players. But I feel like a blend of experience, a dynamic freshman and selective portal additions is the way to go. I think the schools who have leaned heavily on multiple freshmen will continue to struggle on the big stage. You may find the occasional team that hit the portal hard and brings in a bunch of mercs who has high level success but I'm not sure that's a consistent recipe for success. And the teams that refuse to operate in the portal will be left behind.
Spencer was a HUGE get. I don't think they win the title w/o him

UConn has it figured out.
I wouldn't say that. Smart money would be on them not winning a title again in the next decade but I think that the program will be stable and a perennial ranked team now with Hurley as the coach.

This past UConn team was the perfect roster construction though for other teams to emulate. They had an experienced elite PG who was already in the program last year through he transferred, a lottery pick freshman, a lottery pick sophomore, another talented returning sophomore stretch 4 and a perfect 5th year grad transfer swing guy.

You can't rely on all freshman NBA level talent players but you can't rely on cobbling together your lineup with guys from the transfer portal either. You need a good mix of high level guys who have been in the system, 1-2 NBA level talent freshmen and impact transfers who plug in any holes.

Things fell perfectly into place the last two years, but we'll see how sustainable it is going forward. I've heard their NIL isn't very competitive.

Things fell perfectly into place the last two years, but we'll see how sustainable it is going forward. I've heard their NIL isn't very competitive.

It's wild to me that schools like Louisville and Indiana likely have better NIL deals than UConn. 2 national titles compared to very, very little in the NIL era.

I’ve seen it mentioned by a few insiders. Where do you think they rank in NIL bucks?

Which insiders ?

I'm not sure about rankings but I have seen repeatedly , including hearing it from Dan Hurley, that UConn is competitive in that area. Do you have a link to rankings or program NIL budgets ?

Which insiders ?

I'm not sure about rankings but I have seen repeatedly , including hearing it from Dan Hurley, that UConn is competitive in that area. Do you have a link to rankings or program NIL budgets ?

Some KU guys who are pretty plugged into things.

It’s all relative, so who knows what one means by “competitive.” At some point I read that they might be outside the top 25. Who knows.

• Haha
Reactions: Deepelm
I know, which is why i was asking... and i also know UConn's NIL is up there which is why I was asking for supposed truth to the contrary.

I'm not claiming to know anything for sure. Just passing on what's been rumored.

So explain how you "know" that UConn is high up there.

I'm not claiming to know anything for sure. Just passing on what's been rumored.

So explain how you "know" that UConn is high up there.

I appreciate you sharing what you have heard, hearsay if you will, without any substantive proof of your hearings.

Here's what I know -- from a two second google search...maybe give it a try sometime....

https://www.the-boneyard.com/threads/nil-uconn-coffers.200515/

https://www.outkick.com/sports/uconn-coach-dan-hurley-has-refreshing-nil-take-win-for-our-donors

Or just pure common sense.... UConn's starting 5 are all projected to get drafted with two in the top 5, and one more in the first round. UConn obviously had one of the most talented rosters -- i would argue the most talented. They would not have been able to build and keep that roster without an elite NIL budget.

6-4

I appreciate you sharing what you have heard, hearsay if you will, without any substantive proof of your hearings.

Here's what I know -- from a two second google search...maybe give it a try sometime....

https://www.the-boneyard.com/threads/nil-uconn-coffers.200515/

https://www.outkick.com/sports/uconn-coach-dan-hurley-has-refreshing-nil-take-win-for-our-donors

Or just pure common sense.... UConn's starting 5 are all projected to get drafted with two in the top 5, and one more in the first round. UConn obviously had one of the most talented rosters -- i would argue the most talented. They would not have been able to build and keep that roster without an elite NIL budget.

6-4

I never tried to pass anything as fact so I don't know why you're crying about proof. Is this a courtroom or a ****ing message board? 🤣

Apparently your idea of substantive proof is repeating what someone heard on a podcast. Assuming it's accurate, it doesn't really tell us much. Based on those ranges, Duke and others could be at 10 mil, while UConn could be at 3 mil. Pretty big difference. And where does that rank them nationally? Who the hell knows.

My point was that none of us know any specific numbers with any certainty, yet you claimed you "knew." Which, of course, you don't.

ADVERTISEMENT