ADVERTISEMENT

You aren’t a true b-ball fan if you don’t like Beard and TX Tech

That's like saying you aren't human if you don't like babies. Yes, they're cute, we've had fun watching them, but now let's get back to the grown ups.

That's like saying you aren't human if you don't like babies. Yes, they're cute, we've had fun watching them, but now let's get back to the grown ups.

Good thing that powerhouse UCF can’t convert tips or alley oops eh?

He's new, let him have his fun. All these Tech fans are like kids that just entered in amusement park for the first time.

There's candy, people walking around dressed up like Looney tunes characters, cotton candy and rides. They can't wait to ride the Scooby Doo.

Next year, when they're all grounded and can't go to the amusement park, they'll just sit home and play video games.

But, we're going to have to step back and watch the kids have fun.

He's new, let him have his fun. All these Tech fans are like kids that just entered in amusement park for the first time.

There's candy, people walking around dressed up like Looney tunes characters, cotton candy and rides. They can't wait to ride the Scooby Doo.

Next year, when they're all grounded and can't go to the amusement park, they'll just sit home and play video games.

I would think that having “KState” in his handle might help you realize that he’s not a Texas Tech fan. Guess not.

Well, I did enjoy them, but now that Op is throwing down the gauntlet, **** Tech.

Reactions: CDNCBBFan

That’s funny, everyone said we’d be “grounded” this year after losing 4 starters. We’ll be just as good or better next year.

I would think that having “KState” in his handle might help you realize that he’s not a Texas Tech fan. Guess not.
I would think you would read his post and see that he is obviously a fan of Texas Tech too. How often do you see a guy say "love this coach and his team" about a team he is not a fan of?

Would you say anything like that about K-State?

I would think you would read his post and see that he is obviously a fan of Texas Tech too. How often do you see a guy say "love this coach and his team" about a team he is not a fan of?

Would you say anything like that about K-State?

Believe it or not, you can admire certain programs or people without being "fans."

Texas Tech has been the best team in the country though in the last 2 months so I think they've earned a seat at the grownup's table.

http://barttorvik.com/trank.php?yea...6&top=0&quad=5&venue=All&type=All&mingames=0#

I believe @dukedevilz showed in another thread that Bart's rankings can be a little funky when using your own time frames. And sure they look good over the last two months, but they haven't beaten a single top 10 team all season. I find it difficult to believe they're going to beat 4 of them to end the season.

Believe it or not, you can admire certain programs or people without being "fans."
Believe it or not, the comment I made was meant to be funny and applies.

The only one bring in ass about it is you.

I believe @dukedevilz showed in another thread that Bart's rankings can be a little funky when using your own time frames. And sure they look good over the last two months, but they haven't beaten a single top 10 team all season. I find it difficult to believe they're going to beat 4 of them to end the season.

I'd be really interested to see that analysis. Any idea what thread it was in?

Reactions: ExitFlagger

The only top 10 team they played was Duke. So, basically, they have no shot because they lost to Duke in Dec?

I took a small sample from the conference tournament week (Friday-Sunday). Here is the original post.

I'm seriously wondering about Bart Torvik's numbers. If I look back to just this past Friday, I see that Duke is behind both Florida State and North Carolina. Which seems odd, since they beat both of those teams - and FSU lost by double-digits and beat VT on a last-second shot.
torvik-march.jpg

Also, I feel like my comments made back in October are mostly true. How he calculates his numbers would be interesting. I was laughing at the thought of Miami being a preseason top 10 team.

I've looked at his site a few times in the offseason. It's not completely terrible, but some of the rankings are way, way off. Here are some obvious blunders:

Overrated:
Miami: 10th
- they'll be hard-pressed to finish in the top 10 in the ACC. Right now, I'd say they're probably the 9th best team in the ACC.

Seton Hall: 21st- They're getting a couple of nice transfers. But they lack depth - and they only have one returning player that has shot north of 32% from 3. I think they'll make the Tournament, but probably in the range of a 9-11 seed.

Alabama: 24th- Are they expecting John Petty to suddenly be an All-American? Alabama could sneak into the NCAA Tournament, but they're not a top 25 team.

Wisconsin: 26th- Um, no

Missouri: 29th- See above

Underrated:
Washington: 52nd- They're not necessarily a top 25 team, but they return everyone. And they were young last year. I think I would rank them somewhere in the 20-35 range.

Loyola Chicago: 62nd- Ridiculously low for a Final Four team that returns 3 starters, including the Missouri Valley Conference POY.

LSU: 73rd- Probably the worst ranking on here. LSU is a legitimate SEC title contender. They're not the favorite, of course. But they should be a top 4 team in the conference and have a very high ranking during the season.

Marshall: 132nd- They won a game in the NCAA Tournament and they return two 20 point scorers. To not have them in the top 100 is definitively crazy.

Davidson: 144th- A very solid 12 seed in the Tournament last year. They return Kellan Grady (future 1st round NBA pick) and Gundmundsson (13 ppg, 6 reb, 5 assists).

I was wrong on Wisconsin, Loyola Chicago, and Marshall; the other 7 assessments were spot-on, IMO.

I took a small sample from the conference tournament week (Friday-Sunday). Here is the original post.

Interesting. I know that metrics like DVOA often show the losing team with a higher DVOA, essentially stating that the losing team was more effective on controllable events and lost due to non-predictive (lucky) factors. I would expect this to be the case far less frequently with team efficiency in Basketball, but I wonder if it's possible for opponent adjustments to cause the results you found. Maybe Duke is downgraded for playing Syracuse (#40-ish), while Florida State and UNC are downgraded far less for playing VT (#10-#12) and Louisville (#15-ish), respectively. Also, Virginia and Duke are both top 3 in his rankings I believe, so FSU would get a bump for playing both of them. And UNC would probably get more of a bump for playing top 3 Duke, than Duke would for playing #5-6 ranked UNC and #15-ish FSU.

Just throwing out some thoughts. I'm interested because I'd like to know how much to trust his rankings.

Note: I didn't look up the rankings I quoted above, basically just going off memory. So feel free to correct me if I'm way off.

Interesting. I know that metrics like DVOA often show the losing team with a higher DVOA, essentially stating that the losing team was more effective on controllable events and lost due to non-predictive (lucky) factors. I would expect this to be the case far less frequently with team efficiency in Basketball, but I wonder if it's possible for opponent adjustments to cause the results you found. Maybe Duke is downgraded for playing Syracuse (#40-ish), while Florida State and UNC are downgraded far less for playing VT (#10-#12) and Louisville (#15-ish), respectively. Also, Virginia and Duke are both top 3 in his rankings I believe, so FSU would get a bump for playing both of them. And UNC would probably get more of a bump for playing top 3 Duke, than Duke would for playing #5-6 ranked UNC and #15-ish FSU.

Just throwing out some thoughts. I'm interested because I'd like to know how much to trust his rankings.

Note: I didn't look up the rankings I quoted above, basically just going off memory. So feel free to correct me if I'm way off.

Not sure how it's quantified, but I can tell you the sample only includes games from Friday and Saturday (and Sunday for SEC/Big Ten), meaning the Syracuse game isn't in the calculation.

Not sure how it's quantified, but I can tell you the sample only includes games from Friday and Saturday (and Sunday for SEC/Big Ten), meaning the Syracuse game isn't in the calculation.

Ahh okay, my mistake. For some reason in my mind the quarters were Friday, semis Saturday, final Sunday. In that case I guess opponent adjustments are most likely not the answer.

Hopefully Beard stays and continues to do well. I aspire to be like a jaded old Kentucky fan come tournament time.

ADVERTISEMENT