ADVERTISEMENT

WVU's Wes Harris punches fan during court storming...

its been decades since
Tech had a really good team,
so i can understand their excitement -
but for the safety of the students
and athletes,
there needs to be a remedy for this
other than a small fine from
the B12 commish -

#8 team's fans storm the court after their team wins a game they were favored in and a fan gets punched? I like it. Definitely shouldn't have punched him in the back, but.........

trumpallow.gif

I agree that the court storming needs to stop, but that doesn't mean what he did was justified.

I just saw it and it looked kind of bad. I'm guessing a multiple game suspension is coming.

It's fun when it's warranted. Like a 4-13 team beating the #1 team. A streak ending win over a rival (maybe), big comeback or a buzzer beater. But not when both teams are in the top ten ever.
This is Texas Tech we’re talking about. I guarantee you if Duke was #8 in the football polls and beat #2 Clemson then their fans are tearing goalposts down. I think situations like that, where the team who wins is a historically known bottom feeder that’s having their greatest season ever, are ones that can be considered warranted.

Reactions: HawksJ
It's fun when it's warranted. Like a 4-13 team beating the #1 team. A streak ending win over a rival (maybe), big comeback or a buzzer beater. But not when both teams are in the top ten ever.

The game was about more than just AP rankings.

As for the punching the fan thing, it's tough everyone handles losses differently. It only takes a split second to make a bad decision. It actually surprises me how good players are about handling crazy fans sometimes.

This is Texas Tech we’re talking about. I guarantee you if Duke was #8 in the football polls and beat #2 Clemson then their fans are tearing goalposts down. I think situations like that, where the team who wins is a historically known bottom feeder that’s having their greatest season ever, are ones that can be considered warranted.

I was at the game and them rushing the court was sad as heck. Wvu wasn’t even #1. The court shouldve never been rushed but like you said it’s texas tech. They don’t know what it means to be good in basketball. Still embarrassing to watch

I was at the game and them rushing the court was sad as heck. Wvu wasn’t even #1. The court shouldve never been rushed but like you said it’s texas tech. They don’t know what it means to be good in basketball. Still embarrassing to watch
I’m just one of those people that sees nothing wrong with court rushing. I’ll be at the Tech-KU game next month. There’s a good chance that the Tech fans end up storming the court for that one. I hope Kansas wins but if they don’t, and the energy in the building is right, I may end up on the floor with the students high fiving each other.

I'm fine with court storming. But if you intentionally f**k with a 6'8, 200 pound, pissed off dude, you get what you get.

That’s the problem imo. A player should not be put in the position. I agree that if you mess with the players, you do so at your own risk but the player will pay a far larger price for it than a fan would.

Reactions: doogie503

WVU had a 11 point lead with 13 minutes left. Yet at the final whistle it was a one point win for Tech over the #2 team in the country. (So it was a comeback.) We ended WVU's winning streak. It's the first time Tech won a Top 10 matchup in school history. (So we have never done this before ever.)

Now if I would have been at the game I would be telling people not to rush the court. They also certainly shouldn't touch the WVU players. If Wes Harris had to get a guy off him he had to get a guy off him. But I don't understand the #50 pushing into the crowd and just start attacking people.

Reactions: TheWizardofOz12
its been decades since
Tech had a really good team,
so i can understand their excitement -
but for the safety of the students
and athletes,
there needs to be a remedy for this
other than a small fine from
the B12 commish -
Does the Big 12 even fine? I know the SEC does.

Does the Big 12 even fine? I know the SEC does.
they made the rule in 2015,
but i dont know if they've ever enforced
or issued a fine -

edit to add:
i dont see where any fines have been issued so far,
but i'm sure this will be a good opportunity,
esp since multiple athletes were involved -
also, according to an old cbs sports article,
we could lose a home game -

Last edited:
Embarrassing for UNC. I could understand if it was a last second shot or something but when your fans have time to line up and prepare to rush the court it's pathetic.

No it wasn’t. College kids celebrating a win over thier rival. I noticed a UK fan posted that video but if they stormed the court at Rupp it’ll look like a AARP convention.

No it wasn’t. College kids celebrating a win over thier rival. I noticed a UK fan posted that video but if they stormed the court at Rupp it’ll look like a AARP convention.

Laughing good one. They'll never storm the court at Rupp.

Dont care about anything besides if he'll be suspended for tomorrow night's game. KU will need every advantage they can get

Court storming is so fvcking lame, and it has no place in the game. I’m siding with the WVU player, here. Good for him.

Only ones who should be on the court, are the ones playing the game. Fans have no business being there. It’s dangerous, and only causes problems.

wvu was leading the nation
with their winning streak -

Tech was down double-digits
in the 2nd half
against the #2 team in the nation -
WVU had a 11 point lead with 13 minutes left. Yet at the final whistle it was a one point win for Tech over the #2 team in the country. (So it was a comeback.) We ended WVU's winning streak. It's the first time Tech won a Top 10 matchup in school history. (So we have never done this before ever.)

Now if I would have been at the game I would be telling people not to rush the court. They also certainly shouldn't touch the WVU players. If Wes Harris had to get a guy off him he had to get a guy off him. But I don't understand the #50 pushing into the crowd and just start attacking people.
Congratulations on your win. I mean that, I have nothing against TT. But you ignored what I said. I said a streak ending win over a rival. Not ending a team's winning streak. I can give credit for coming back from 13 down with 13 minutes left. But I was thinking more of a dramatic comeback. Also, in my selfish criteria (just my opinion) I said it should not happen when both teams are ranked in the top ten ever.

But I understand the excitement. Maybe I am just being a stubborn ass.

Sure. But TT beating WV at home in basketball is not nearly as unfathomable as Duke being ranked 8th in football. So it is safe to say that your scenario will never happen.

Also, how often is the number 8 team favored over the #2 team at home in football?

You guys stormed the court after beating a team that lost to 5 other teams already that year and ended up with 9 losses including the game you guys love to bring up against Mercer in the 1st round of the NCAAs.

What was so special about beating Duke that year?

So college kids can’t have fun? You act like you saw a bunch of 40 year olds rushing the floor. As for why we stormed the floor i couldn’t tell you. We go back in time just like you guys, oh btw you forgot Lehigh.

ADVERTISEMENT