ADVERTISEMENT

Would Wilt Chamberlain have scored 100 points in a game if he didn’t play against white guys?

If not, probably damn close.

main-qimg-052c98290eae00e826b3591159186a38

He was probably around 40”. His standing reach was 9’6”. He said he could dunk on a 12’ hoop “with some effort.” So I’d say that means he cleared 12’ by about 6 inches. 12’6” minus 9’6” equals 36 inches. If he cleared it by a foot, it wouldn’t take much effort to dunk, so the upper limit is 13ft. He also said he could snatch a quarter from the top of the backboard, which is 13ft.

So, somewhere between 36 and 42 inches.

No way Wilt had a 48 inch vertical. I know he said he did, but people say things.

In this article on a KU website, it is reported that he high jumped 6’6” at a Big 8 indoor meet. I have read on multiple sources that he was on the KU track team.

In this article on a KU website, it is reported that he high jumped 6’6” at a Big 8 indoor meet. I have read on multiple sources that he was on the KU track team.

High jump and vertical jump are different. A high vertical jump doesn’t mean somebody would be a good high jumper. Likewise, A good high jumper wouldn’t necessarily have a high vertical.

High jump and vertical have very little correlation and they are completely different actions. Being 7'1" is a big advantage in the high jump just because the center of gravity is higher and less force is needed to jump higher than shorter people. Wilt could be standing next to a 6'6" bar and his back would already be over it. 😆The key is getting the arch of your back to clear the bar. 6'6" also isn't all that high, especially for college. The national high school record is a foot higher. Here's an example of the NCAA championship in 2018. 6'6" would be at the bottom of the list by 3".

2018 high jump

High jump and vertical jump are different. A high vertical jump doesn’t mean somebody would be a good high jumper. Likewise, A good high jumper wouldn’t necessarily have a high vertical.

I know, I high jumped in HS. Given that Wilt most likely high jumped using the Western Roll or Scissor Kick technique since the Fosbury Flop had not been established yet. Even so, 6’6” indoor is 6’6” indoor. I point it out because of the athleticism required.

High jump and vertical have very little correlation and they are completely different actions. Being 7'1" is a big advantage in the high jump just because the center of gravity is higher and less force is needed to jump higher than shorter people. Wilt could be standing next to a 6'6" bar and his back would already be over it. 😆The key is getting the arch of your back to clear the bar. 6'6" also isn't all that high, especially for college. The national high school record is a foot higher. Here's an example of the NCAA championship in 2018. 6'6" would be at the bottom of the list by 3".

2018 high jump

See post above.

I know, I high jumped in HS. Given that Wilt most likely high jumped using the Western Roll or Scissor Kick technique since the Fosbury Flop had not been established yet. Even so, 6’6” indoor is 6’6” indoor. I point it out because of the athleticism required.

He was certainly very athletic. Just not “48 inch vertical” athletic.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Wilt was a hall of famer and would be in any era but half of those feats (48' vertical, 600 bench etc) are fairy tales that have no evidence, for a reason.
The 20K number is bullshit too, but it's still a cool story. 😁

The 20K number is bullshit too, but it's still a cool story. 😁

Incredible that he had time between being a basketball player and Olympic athlete and strongman and actor to bang all them women. Just in awe

• Haha
Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Incredible that he had time between being a basketball player and Olympic athlete and strongman and actor to bang all them women. Just in awe

Just maintaining the schedule required, not to mention the stamina, is more impressive than the number itself.

Wasn't there video of him touching the top of back boards?

Idk if there are videos of him touching the tops of backboards, but there are stories. I broke down the math of him touching the top of the backboard. His vert was at most 42”.

Reactions: Big ol arms
I think it was more about his size and strength.

Wilt would have struggled in the 80s and 90s.

I think Wilt probably would have been just fine in the 80s and 90s, or any era for that matter. Good story from Larry Brown from when he was coaching UCLA back in the 80s.

He would have scored more today. White guys actually bother playing defense. He could have just walked to the basket in today's game the way some of these black guys today treat defense.

tenor.gif

Yeah i hate regular season NBA. Defense isn't played until the playoffs. Combine that with players sitting out all the time for rest, it's becoming a joke.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT