ADVERTISEMENT

Would Wilt Chamberlain have scored 100 points in a game if he didn’t play against white guys?

A stronger, possibly more athletic Embiid with a 48 inch vertical that played 65 years ago is hard to believe.

A stronger, possibly more athletic Embiid with a 48 inch vertical that played 65 years ago is hard to believe.

One played 25 years ago for sure in Hakeem.
Embiid still has time to catch up with Hakeem.

Wilt vs Hakeem

Hakeem's game from what I remember with Wilt was superior.
But I really only saw the end of Wilt. 1969 into the early 70's . Jerry West and Elgin Baylor were the guys for the Lakers.
I saw all of Hakeem. Hakeem had unbelievable feet. Moved them like he was 6-2

b7c78f0cd06fa9052da91406c4d6cffd.jpg

3 of the 5 starters and 4 of the 8 players for the opponent were black.

This was the team photo for the Knicks the following year. I couldn't find a photo for the 61-62 team but most of the players are the same.

Reactions: RingoLucky
I'm pretty sure that a 7-footer with a 48 inch vertical, who was stronger than Shaq, could do okay in any era. There may not have been as many 7-footers in the 60s, but those that existed couldn't touch Wilt. The Syracuse Nationals had a 7-3 guy who was so unproductive he was out of the league within two years. It took a lot more than just being tall to dominate, even then.

We're talking about a guy who led the league in assists one year.

Last edited:
Reactions: RingoLucky
I'm pretty sure that a 7-footer with a 48 inch vertical, who was stronger than Shaq, could do okay in any era. There may not have been as many 7-footers in the 60s, but those that existed couldn't touch Wilt. The Syracuse Nationals had a 7-3 guy who was so unproductive he was out of the league within two years. It took a lot more than just being tall to dominate, even then.

We're talking about a guy who led the league in assists one year.

Should have said bigs...

Bill Russell held his own with Wilt. A lot of that was due to athleticism, length and basketball IQ.

There are more players in the mold of Bill Russell around today than back then.

He was giving up 50 pounds.
But could out jump Wilt and his wingspan I believe was longer.

But Wilt would still be a NBA all star center today
I think his issue would be playing away from the basket on both ends of the floor...
But I think Wilt could adjust to 2021 NBA Basketball much better than Shaq.

Like what you said. Wilt did have some athleticism.
But at that time wasn't taken advantage like it is now.

No NBA team would want Wilt to clog the middle.
His biggest issue would be adjusting to the current game.

Bill Russell knew how to defend Wilt. Just keep him from going off and dominating the game. Funny thing is, Wes Unseld could also keep Wilt from going off, and he was 6’7”.

What’s this nonsense about Russell faring well head to head? Wilt doubled or tripled his scoring output every time, outrebounded him almost every time, and always had the higher FG%.

Reactions: topps coach
Bill Russell knew how to defend Wilt. Just keep him from going off and dominating the game. Funny thing is, Wes Unseld could also keep Wilt from going off, and he was 6’7”.
What’s this nonsense about Russell faring well head to head? Wilt doubled or tripled his scoring output every time, outrebounded him almost every time, and always had the higher FG%.
You missed the point. Wilt took Bill serious, and Bill was smart enough to let Wilt get his without letting Wilt’s teammates beat the Celtics.

Reactions: cdbearde

You missed the point. Wilt took Bill serious, and Bill was smart enough to let Wilt get his without letting Wilt’s teammates beat the Celtics.

But he didn’t keep Wilt from dominating. The difference was that Russell had a HOFer at every position on his team. Helps a bit.

But he didn’t keep Wilt from dominating. The difference was that Russell had a HOFer at every position on his team. Helps a bit.

🤣😂 Bill Russell in his 16 year NBA and college career won 13 championships.
The man won 2 National Championship at the University of San Francisco with KC Jones

Plus the 1956 Gold Medal with the most dominant US Olympic Team in History

🤣😂 Bill Russell in his 16 year NBA and college career won 13 championships.
The man won 2 National Championship at the University of San Francisco with KC Jones

Plus the 1956 Gold Medal with the most dominant US Olympic Team in History

Doesn’t mean that he was better than Wilt or that he held his own head to head.

Look at the stats you posted....

Didn't cite them as well.

You are claiming Wilt didn't have any issues with Bill Russell because Wilt scored more points than Russell in head to head matchups.

One of my first memories of the NBA was the 1969 NBA Finals

Not just points, but when your man scores 40-50 on a high percentage, it’s pretty tough to argue that you kept him from dominating.

Wilt averaged twice as many points head to head, half as many fouls, more rebounds, a much higher FG% (held Russell under 40%), and scored almost at his career average.

Your memories are of Wilt past his prime.

Not just points, but when your man scores 40-50 on a high percentage, it’s pretty tough to argue that you kept him from dominating.

Wilt averaged twice as many points head to head, half as many fouls, more rebounds, a much higher FG% (held Russell under 40%), and scored almost at his career average.

Your memories are of Wilt past his prime.

Same with Bill Russell.

Plus you said Bill won because of Hall of Famers.
But in 1969 Wilt has Jerry West and Elgin Baylor.
A lot of the Celtics already retired.
Wilt had a much better team. Bill still found some way to carry his team.

West was the MVP of that series with a losing team

Same with Bill Russell.

Plus you said Bill won because of Hall of Famers.
But in 1969 Wilt has Jerry West and Elgin Baylor.
A lot of the Celtics already retired.
Wilt had a much better team. Bill still found some way to carry his team.

West was the MVP of that series with a losing team

It’s debatable that he had the better team that year. It’s not debatable that Russell had the better cast throughout his career.

Wilt dominated everybody he faced, offensively and defensively, including Russell.

Larry Brown told a story about a 43-year-old Wilt playing with four of his UCLA freshmen vs Magic, James Worthy, Bernard King, Byron Scott and AC Green. It was game point and Wilt swatted Magic’s shot. Magic called for goaltend to end the game and Wilt called bullshit. So WIlt calls for another game to 12 and says “there’ll be no more shots made at this basket.” Then he blocks every single shot they put up.

Reactions: Stochdoc
It’s debatable that he had the better team that year. It’s not debatable that Russell had the better cast throughout his career.

Wilt dominated everybody he faced, offensively and defensively, including Russell.

Larry Brown told a story about a 43-year-old Wilt playing with four of his UCLA freshmen vs Magic, James Worthy, Bernard King, Byron Scott and AC Green. It was game point and Wilt swatted Magic’s shot. Magic called for goaltend to end the game and Wilt called bullshit. So WIlt calls for another game to 12 and says “there’ll be no more shots made at this basket.” Then he blocks every single shot they put up.

Go back to my point regarding Wilt playing away from the basket.

I believe Wilt had the athleticism but at that time everything was in the post.

His knees went bad. That possibly can change with modern medial technology.

But...
I still think Hakeem had way better feet.
Wilt tried to talk shit during that NBA Finals between Hakeem and Shaq.
But I think Hakeem would have did Wilt dirty with his moves

I think it was more about his size and strength.

Wilt would have struggled in the 80s and 90s.

Yeah...I’m sure that a 7’1 guy with the speed and passing ability of a guard, who benched 600 with a 48 inch vertical would have a rough time in that era. RollLaugh

Stick to the Big 10, Wee Man.

Dudes were short back then. The game has evolved to 7 footers who can dribble and shoot.

Wilt would be a great player in any era, but would average maybe 25 to 30 a game.

He isn't scoring 100 on any team past 1980

Dudes were short back then. The game has evolved to 7 footers who can dribble and shoot.

Wilt would be a great player in any era, but would average maybe 25 to 30 a game.

He isn't scoring 100 on any team past 1980

Well, if your definition of struggle was not scoring 100 in a game, you may have a point. 😂

You're apparently the type who views Wilt as a tall dude dunking on short dudes. There was a lot more to his game than that. He had a mid-range fadeaway that was unguardable and he led the league in assists one year.

Well, if your definition of struggle was not scoring 100 in a game, you may have a point. 😂

You're apparently the type who views Wilt as a tall dude dunking on short dudes. There was a lot more to his game than that. He had a mid-range fadeaway that was unguardable and he led the league in assists one year.

I would definitely watch more NBA if he was playing. I love when the game was run through the Center.

I get why the Dream was picked over Jordan. A center can anchor a franchise

Not possibly, DEFINITELY more athletic.

If you've ever had a chance to watch some old film....some of the things he did you just don't see...from anybody. He never developed a jump shot, but he didn't need to.

Would he have been able to accomplish the same today? Probably not. Mostly because the game has changed so much, teams don't really like to play traditional centers anymore, and usually only have one on the roster as a defensive guy during stretches of the game. But then again, Wilt wasn't a traditional big guy in that he was just so incredibly talented. I have to think that even with the way that the style of play has changed in the NBA, somebody could take on a guy with his ability and just give him the ball and dare opponents to stop him.

Reactions: Big ol arms
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT