ADVERTISEMENT

Would UNC leave the ACC for the B1G?

When one continues to repeat themselves it means they have nothing. I thought owning you would be a chore but I guess I over estimated you.
Nothing is needed when it comes to getting you bite. It’s hilarious

Money. I think the ACC is going to be in financial trouble compared to the other big conferences and could run the risk of being left behind in that regard.

I would prefer the SEC though.

Basketball is irrelevant to conference expansion discussions
Not irrelevant at all, but it can’t make up for not having (A) big football revenues, (B) fan presence in a big market or (C) a rich/large alumni base and academic war chest. It’s definitely down the list. But big basketball games draw more eyeballs than a lot of people think.

Would you two just fk already?!?
giphy.gif

Reactions: jackrabbit slim
From what I've heard, Georgia Tech is actually one of the B1G's favorite targets if they were going to expand.
I would imagine that UNC would be up there as well.
Don't see any of it happening any time soon though. The SEC having no interest in FSU & Clemson kind of killed any hope of the ACC being picked apart.
My question is, when the ACC does inevitably get picked apart, would the most desirable schools (ND, FSU, UNC, UVA) want to go to the SEC or B1G?
Just because a school is AAU doesn't mean they are a lock for the B1G. Cash is king and the SEC is going to bring in the most money.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
For the what?

Uh, no, that would be quite a step down, specially for cornerstone program like UNC.

ACC would be dog poo if UNC left.

*not to demean other teams but ACC w/o UNC wouldn't be near the same.

I'd like for the SEC to snatch them up. They'd fit in great. Can't say the same for other ACC teams.

From what I've heard, Georgia Tech is actually one of the B1G's favorite targets if they were going to expand.
I would imagine that UNC would be up there as well.
Don't see any of it happening any time soon though. The SEC having no interest in FSU & Clemson kind of killed any hope of the ACC being picked apart.
My question is, when the ACC does inevitably get picked apart, would the most desirable schools (ND, FSU, UNC, UVA) want to go to the SEC or B1G?
Just because a school is AAU doesn't mean they are a lock for the B1G. Cash is king and the SEC is going to bring in the most money.
The Big Ten still distributes more money, and their renegotiated TV deal will likely keep them ahead of the SEC.

Is being in the B1G that much more appealing and beneficial than being in the ACC?
For stability? Absolutely. So, the questions become (1) How much do other factors like geography, history, sentimentality, etc. affect priorities and (2) How stable is the ACC now and in the future?

The Big Ten and SEC are in a league of their own as far as their member schools not having to worry about what the next ten years hold. Is what it is.

Reactions: JimboBBN
Money. I think the ACC is going to be in financial trouble compared to the other big conferences and could run the risk of being left behind in that regard.

I would prefer the SEC though.
Football should be completely separate from all other NCAA sports and then the colleges can return to the traditional conference alignment from the 80's and 90's. The Football system is already seperate monetarily from the rest, so why does North Carolina basketball need to be in the same conference as Notre Dame football?

For stability? Absolutely. So, the questions become (1) How much do other factors like geography, history, sentimentality, etc. affect priorities and (2) How stable is the ACC now and in the future?

The Big Ten and SEC are in a league of their own as far as their member schools not having to worry about what the next ten years hold. Is what it is.
I legit was curious. I always figured Big 10 and SEC were the top two conferences. A program like Kansas in the Big 12, sure, absolutely make a move if you can, because who knows where the fvck you'll be in a few years. The ACC seems pretty stable to me at the moment. I'm sure there is monetary value in switching as well.

I've said this on my home board and got laughed at, but if I were the SEC I would raid the basketball schools and completely own both sports.
1) NCAA is losing leverage, there's a lot of money in basketball
2) Make your own CFP for conference championship that will kill any other conference in ratings.
3) Less non-cons by sprinkling in bball schools to your schedule throughout the season to keep the big dawgs at the top of the polls
4) Expands tv sets to new regions
5) Make rivalry games great again

Either add 4 or 8 to get to 20 or 24 teams
No brainers: Notre Dame, North Carolina, Duke, Kansas
Next tier: Virginia, Louisville, Florida State
Probably further than they'd like, but still possible: Arizona, Arizona State, Iowa State, Cincinnati, Pitt, West Virginia, Syracuse

South Division
Midwest Pod
Arizona
Texas
Oklahoma
Kansas
Texas A&M
Missouri

Central Pod
Arkansas
LSU
Mississippi State
Ole Miss
Alabama
Auburn

East Division
North Pod
Vanderbilt
Louisville
Tennessee
Kentucky
Notre Dame
Virginia

East Pod
Georgia
Florida State
Florida
South Carolina
North Carolina
Duke

Football
Play each team in your pod, 2 teams in pod from other conference, 1 team from each of the other two pods in the other division (9 conference games)
6 team conference playoff, top team in each division get a bye, after that 1 team from each pod play in the first round.

Basketball
Home-and-home with each team in your pod, play each team in other pod in your division once, then 3 teams (half) in each pod on from the other division (22 conference games)
2 weekend Conference tournament, Friday week 1 the top 8 teams get a bye while 9-24 play the first round. Saturday the 8 byes play the 8 winners from the first round. Sunday is the Elite Eight.
Saturday week 2 Final Four, Sunday Championship.

I've said this on my home board and got laughed at, but if I were the SEC I would raid the basketball schools and completely own both sports.
1) NCAA is losing leverage, there's a lot of money in basketball
2) Make your own CFP for conference championship that will kill any other conference in ratings.
3) Less non-cons by sprinkling in bball schools to your schedule throughout the season to keep the big dawgs at the top of the polls
4) Expands tv sets to new regions
5) Make rivalry games great again

Either add 4 or 8 to get to 20 or 24 teams
No brainers: Notre Dame, North Carolina, Duke, Kansas
Next tier: Virginia, Louisville, Florida State
Probably further than they'd like, but still possible: Arizona, Arizona State, Iowa State, Cincinnati, Pitt, West Virginia, Syracuse

South Division
Midwest Pod
Arizona
Texas
Oklahoma
Kansas
Texas A&M
Missouri

Central Pod
Arkansas
LSU
Mississippi State
Ole Miss
Alabama
Auburn

East Division
North Pod
Vanderbilt
Louisville
Tennessee
Kentucky
Notre Dame
Virginia

East Pod
Georgia
Florida State
Florida
South Carolina
North Carolina
Duke

Football
Play each team in your pod, 2 teams in pod from other conference, 1 team from each of the other two pods in the other division (9 conference games)
6 team conference playoff, top team in each division get a bye, after that 1 team from each pod play in the first round.

Basketball
Home-and-home with each team in your pod, play each team in other pod in your division once, then 3 teams (half) in each pod on from the other division (22 conference games)
2 weekend Conference tournament, Friday week 1 the top 8 teams get a bye while 9-24 play the first round. Saturday the 8 byes play the 8 winners from the first round. Sunday is the Elite Eight.
Saturday week 2 Final Four, Sunday Championship.

I don't see it because it's all about football revenue, but I agree on one point, the SEC is all stocked up on big time football programs

I don't see it because it's all about football revenue, but I agree on one point, the SEC is all stocked up on big time football programs
A 5 game SEC football playoff of OU vs LSU and Notre Dame vs FSU, with each winner getting Alabama and Georgia

An SEC Elite Eight of Kentucky, North Carolina, Kansas, Duke, Louisville, Arizona, Arkansas, Texas

Why even play a national championship?

The big ten makes far more money so yes
More money for sure but why would the Holes leave from a conference they control for another conference where they will wield no influence? I don't see the Holes giving up that power for more money.

Why is a South Carolina fan jealous of a school that isn't even in their conference? That is some weird stuff.

Why is a South Carolina fan jealous of a school that isn't even in their conference? That is some weird stuff.

South Carolina fans have a hard on for UNC. I think they're similar to NC State, fans and athletic departments.

More money for sure but why would the Holes leave from a conference they control for another conference where they will wield no influence? I don't see the Holes giving up that power for more money.

I think it would all depend on how large the gap gets between the Big 10 and ACC in revenue.

If the gap gets too large, it turns into every man for themselves.

South Carolina fans have a hard on for UNC. I think they're similar to NC State, fans and athletic departments.

Yeah, I never really understood it. I know their athletics sort of suck but they don't really impact each other much.

I could certainly understand that but it's not like the Holes are hurting for cash.

That's the other thing, donations. They might not need conference revenue cash. I assume they get plenty through their alums. Hell, Michael Jordan is loaded. They could always hit him up for more money.

ADVERTISEMENT