ADVERTISEMENT

World Cup...

Margin for error is obviously very low for Argentina now.

This could allow Mexico the chance to finally advance past the Round of 16. If Mexico wins the group, they likely avoid facing France. That could set them up for maybe playing Denmark in the knockout stage. The last 7 World Cups Mexico has been eliminated in the Round of 16. Each time! That's got to be some kind of a record.

Obviously a lot of matches to be played between now and the Round of 16, but Argentina's loss could be huge for Mexico.
I believe it is a record, probably going away. I’m impressed by their ability to consistently be good, but never great or terrible.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I believe it is a record, probably going away. I’m impressed by their ability to consistently be good, but never great or terrible.

It's quite impressive. I want to say Brazil is the only other nation that has even advanced past the group stage in each of the last 7 World Cups.

I wonder what college basketball program best correlates with Mexico. Don't think there's a perfect example, but the first team that came to my mind was Purdue.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Okay, let's do some flawed comparisons.

Brazil: UCLA
Most Titles for both programs. Brazil has mostly disappointed on the biggest stage this century (notably the last 4 World Cups). Lost in the quarterfinals in 3 of the last 4 WCs. Got hammered by Germany in the one semifinal. Glory days for both were arguably in the 60's and 70's. Had a little resurgence in the 90s. Both are still relevant, both are still capable of winning, but they've also both lost a bit of their luster.

Germany: Duke (maybe Kansas)
Both teams have enjoyed more success in recent years. Germany only made it the Finals once during the first 7 WCs. They've been in the Finals 7 times since 1966. Duke has been to the Finals 10 times since 1978. No titles for Duke pre-1990.

There's not a great comparison for Kansas. But, Duke/Kansas are almost identical on my historical rankings. So, maybe Kansas could be the alternative comparison here. Germany and Kansas both have strong histories, and both are very strong today.

Italy: Kentucky
First, come on, Pitino and Calipari? That's perfect for the Italian comparison. Azzurri blue looks about the same. Italy won the 2nd and 3rd World Cup in 1934 and 1938, respectively. Similarly, Kentucky won back-to-back titles in the early days, in 1948 and 1949. Italy and Kentucky are both 2nd in all-time titles. Both have semi-recent titles. And both have missed the biggest stage recently.

Argentina: North Carolina
This comparison is certainly flawed. UNC has a better track record than Argentina. Argentina kind of floundered for a period, while UNC has been consistently good. But, Argentina was in the Finals of the 1st World Cup. UNC made the finals in 1946. Took a little time for both storied programs to claim their first title (1957 and 1978, respectively). They're both clearly bluebloods. Both were good in the beginning. And good today. Uniform colors are also very similar.

Uruguay: Indiana
Won some early titles. Both have gone long periods without much success. Both are very formidable opponents now, albeit probably not one of the top-contenders.

France: UConn
UConn has been crazy efficient with their title runs. 5 Final Fours, 4 Titles. Won a title in 2011; failed to win a tournament game in 2012 and 2013. Won a title in 2014.

France missed the WC in 94. Then, they won it all in 98. Failed to advance past the group stage in 2002. Lost on PKs in the Finals of 2006 WC. Failed to get out of the group stage in 2010. Very similar-looking to UConn. France's 1st Title was in 98; UConn's came in 99.

England: Arizona
Both squads have a lone title. Both have a lengthy history of uber-talented players. Both have had several teams that were contenders. Both squads have had several disappointing finishes. And they're both still very good today.

Spain: Virginia
Neither program was historically great. But, they both had a few decent years sprinkled in there. Both programs were knocking on greatness for a while before finally breaking through. Spain, in 2010 - and Virginia in 2019. Both are serious threats to go very far in the tournament today.

Netherlands: Gonzaga
The Dutch have been successful longer than the Zags, but they hadn't really done anything before the '74 WC. Zags broke through in the 99 NCCAT, advancing to the Regional Finals. Both teams have remained forces for decades - yet, both are still seeking a title. Netherlands is 0-3 in the Finals, was the Zags are 0-2.

Belgium: Illinois
These are programs that have been to a few semifinals. Never have quite had the enough umph to capture the whole thing. Belgium's best shot was in 2018, while Illinois had a real chance in 2005. Both are formidable opponents today, though neither has especially high odds of winning the whole thing.

Mexico: Purdue
Mexico has been to the Round of 16 in each of the last 7 World Cups. Only Brazil has matched that. Purdue is consistently in the NCAAs, but hasn't been to the FF since 1980. Only 2 FFs in school history. Mexico has only been to the Quarterfinals twice.

Croatia: Texas Tech
Neither has a history of success. Both advanced to the Finals for the first time ever recently. Both are good programs currently. But, wouldn't be shocking if they remained in the good, not quite elite company, for a very long time.

United States: Iowa
You respect them for what they are. A decent team. They're capable of beating most teams. But in the end, you know they're not going very far.

Argentina losing to Saudi Arabia has to be one of the biggest upsets in World Cup history. The idiot defender for the US causing the penalty in the box that allowed Wales to tie the game is going to come back to haunt them and there was no need for it. You have got to be more disciplined and have better awareness than that. Just an absolutely moronic play. They really needed to get 3 points there and a draw is nearly as bad as a loss. Also, draws are stupid. Stop doing it. Play until someone wins. Shootouts are awesome.

Okay, let's do some flawed comparisons.

Brazil: UCLA
Most Titles for both programs. Brazil has mostly disappointed on the biggest stage this century (notably the last 4 World Cups). Lost in the quarterfinals in 3 of the last 4 WCs. Got hammered by Germany in the one semifinal. Glory days for both were arguably in the 60's and 70's. Had a little resurgence in the 90s. Both are still relevant, both are still capable of winning, but they've also both lost a bit of their luster.

Germany: Duke (maybe Kansas)
Both teams have enjoyed more success in recent years. Germany only made it the Finals once during the first 7 WCs. They've been in the Finals 7 times since 1966. Duke has been to the Finals 10 times since 1978. No titles for Duke pre-1990.

There's not a great comparison for Kansas. But, Duke/Kansas are almost identical on my historical rankings. So, maybe Kansas could be the alternative comparison here. Germany and Kansas both have strong histories, and both are very strong today.

Italy: Kentucky
First, come on, Pitino and Calipari? That's perfect for the Italian comparison. Azzurri blue looks about the same. Italy won the 2nd and 3rd World Cup in 1934 and 1938, respectively. Similarly, Kentucky won back-to-back titles in the early days, in 1948 and 1949. Italy and Kentucky are both 2nd in all-time titles. Both have semi-recent titles. And both have missed the biggest stage recently.

Argentina: North Carolina
This comparison is certainly flawed. UNC has a better track record than Argentina. Argentina kind of floundered for a period, while UNC has been consistently good. But, Argentina was in the Finals of the 1st World Cup. UNC made the finals in 1946. Took a little time for both storied programs to claim their first title (1957 and 1978, respectively). They're both clearly bluebloods. Both were good in the beginning. And good today. Uniform colors are also very similar.

Uruguay: Indiana
Won some early titles. Both have gone long periods without much success. Both are very formidable opponents now, albeit probably not one of the top-contenders.

France: UConn
UConn has been crazy efficient with their title runs. 5 Final Fours, 4 Titles. Won a title in 2011; failed to win a tournament game in 2012 and 2013. Won a title in 2014.

France missed the WC in 94. Then, they won it all in 98. Failed to advance past the group stage in 2002. Lost on PKs in the Finals of 2006 WC. Failed to get out of the group stage in 2010. Very similar-looking to UConn. France's 1st Title was in 98; UConn's came in 99.

England: Arizona
Both squads have a lone title. Both have a lengthy history of uber-talented players. Both have had several teams that were contenders. Both squads have had several disappointing finishes. And they're both still very good today.

Spain: Virginia
Neither program was historically great. But, they both had a few decent years sprinkled in there. Both programs were knocking on greatness for a while before finally breaking through. Spain, in 2010 - and Virginia in 2019. Both are serious threats to go very far in the tournament today.

Netherlands: Gonzaga
The Dutch have been successful longer than the Zags, but they hadn't really done anything before the '74 WC. Zags broke through in the 99 NCCAT, advancing to the Regional Finals. Both teams have remained forces for decades - yet, both are still seeking a title. Netherlands is 0-3 in the Finals, was the Zags are 0-2.

Belgium: Illinois
These are programs that have been to a few semifinals. Never have quite had the enough umph to capture the whole thing. Belgium's best shot was in 2018, while Illinois had a real chance in 2005. Both are formidable opponents today, though neither has especially high odds of winning the whole thing.

Mexico: Purdue
Mexico has been to the Round of 16 in each of the last 7 World Cups. Only Brazil has matched that. Purdue is consistently in the NCAAs, but hasn't been to the FF since 1980. Only 2 FFs in school history. Mexico has only been to the Quarterfinals twice.

Croatia: Texas Tech
Neither has a history of success. Both advanced to the Finals for the first time ever recently. Both are good programs currently. But, wouldn't be shocking if they remained in the good, not quite elite company, for a very long time.

United States: Iowa
You respect them for what they are. A decent team. They're capable of beating most teams. But in the end, you know they're not going very far.
That's awesome. Solid work!

Argentina losing to Saudi Arabia has to be one of the biggest upsets in World Cup history. The idiot defender for the US causing the penalty in the box that allowed Wales to tie the game is going to come back to haunt them and there was no need for it. You have got to be more disciplined and have better awareness than that. Just an absolutely moronic play. They really needed to get 3 points there and a draw is nearly as bad as a loss. Also, draws are stupid. Stop doing it. Play until someone wins. Shootouts are awesome.

I hope some soccer crazed fan makes him pay when he gets back to the States similar to Columbia in 1994. That's what needs to happen for us to be taken seriously as a soccer nation.

I hope some soccer crazed fan makes him pay when he gets back to the States similar to Columbia in 1994. That's what needs to happen for us to be taken seriously as a soccer nation.
You cause us to lose, we kill you. 😂

I guarantee you nobody would be slide tackling in the box anymore!

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
The idiot defender for the US causing the penalty in the box that allowed Wales to tie the game is going to come back to haunt them and there was no need for it. You have got to be more disciplined and have better awareness than that. Just an absolutely moronic play.

I don't watch enough club soccer to get a sense for how good most of these guys are, but that Zimmerman guy made a boneheaded pass against Japan just two months ago. A better offensive player would have buried that shot in the back of the net. Makes me think he's not the most cerebral player out there.

• Wow
Reactions: Kevin Bryan
I don't watch enough club soccer to get a sense for how good most of these guys are, but that Zimmerman guy made a boneheaded pass against Japan just two months ago. A better offensive player would have buried that shot in the back of the net. Makes me think he's not the most cerebral player out there.

Wow. You can't tell me he's the best the USA has to offer. If so, woof. I'm surprised they even qualified for the WC.

He’s an MLS Lifer. Not much else needs to be said. Actually was our only MLS player that started yesterday.

Unfortunately we don’t have a lot of quality defenders. He’ll likely start all 3.

He’s an MLS Lifer. Not much else needs to be said. Actually was our only MLS player that started yesterday.

Unfortunately we don’t have a lot of quality defenders. He’ll likely start all 3.

Seems like our defenders are always meh. Eddie Pope and Carlos Bocanegra were solid. After that, not a whole lot of quality. There's always a massive liability or two on defense.

Seems like our defenders are always meh. Eddie Pope and Carlos Bocanegra were solid. After that, not a whole lot of quality. There's always a massive liability or two on defense.
We used to have solid defenders way back when. We also used to have some of the best goalkeepers. But like anything it ebbs and flows.

We’ve never had this much quality in the midfield or up front (except for a quality 9), but we have a manager who ruins it with a very stringent system.

We used to have solid defenders way back when. We also used to have some of the best goalkeepers. But like anything it ebbs and flows.

We’ve never had this much quality in the midfield or up front (except for a quality 9), but we have a manager who ruins it with a very stringent system.

Goalkeepers, yes. That's true. Brad Friedel, Kasey Keller, and Tim Howard come to mind.

Kasey Keller against Brazil in maybe '98 or '99 was legendary. And Tim Howard had perhaps the best performance for a US goalkeeper ever in the overtime loss against Belgium. Without Howard in the goal, that game would have looked the Germany-Brazil slaughter fest.

FiPxW8kXEAAwN4s

Japan over Germany. Huge upset, right?

Not as big as Argentina-Saudi Arabia, but definitely an upset. Germany doesn't have the same elite that they typically accustomed to, IMO. And Japan has reach the Round of 16 in 3 of the past 5 World Cups.

Still, Germany is expected to win this game, semi-comfortably. Worst case scenario should be a tie.

Italy didn't qualify for the WC. Would be wild to not have Italy, Argentina, or Germany in the round of 16. Those 3 countries have 10 of the 21 World Cup Titles.

Not as big as Argentina-Saudi Arabia, but definitely an upset. Germany doesn't have the same elite that they typically accustomed to, IMO. And Japan has reach the Round of 16 in 3 of the past 5 World Cups.

Still, Germany is expected to win this game, semi-comfortably. Worst case scenario should be a tie.

Italy didn't qualify for the WC. Would be wild to not have Italy, Argentina, or Germany in the round of 16. Those 3 countries have 10 of the 21 World Cup Titles.
I didn’t even realize Italy wasn’t in. Wow. They are a team I would consider a “blue blood” of soccer.

I didn’t even realize Italy wasn’t in. Wow. They are a team I would consider a “blue blood” of soccer.

Italy is for sure a blue blood. After Brazil, they're right there with Germany as probably the second best soccer program of all-time. They won the European Championship just last year.

When you look at the qualifying rounds, it was kind of crazy. They didn't lose any of the games. They had 4 wins and 4 ties, whereas Switzerland had 5 wins and 3 ties... and then they lost in the playoff. Pretty shocking lost, actually. It was against North Macedonia.

PosTeamPldWDLGFGAGDPtsQualification
16px-Flag_of_Switzerland_%28Pantone%29.svg.png
23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png
23px-Flag_of_Northern_Ireland_%281953%E2%80%931972%29.svg.png
23px-Flag_of_Bulgaria.svg.png
23px-Flag_of_Lithuania.svg.png
Switzerland
8530152+1318Qualification for 2022 FIFA World Cup0–02–04–01–0
Italy
8440132+1116Advance to play-offs1–12–01–15–0
Northern Ireland
823367−190–00–00–01–0
Bulgaria
8224614−881–30–22–11–0
Lithuania
8107419−1530–40–21–43–1

Italy is for sure a blue blood. After Brazil, they're right there with Germany as probably the second best soccer program of all-time. They won the European Championship just last year.

When you look at the qualifying rounds, it was kind of crazy. They didn't lose any of the games. They had 4 wins and 4 ties, whereas Switzerland had 5 wins and 3 ties... and then they lost in the playoff. Pretty shocking lost, actually. It was against North Macedonia.

PosTeamPldWDLGFGAGDPtsQualification
Switzerland
8530152+1318Qualification for 2022 FIFA World Cup0–02–04–01–0
Italy
8440132+1116Advance to play-offs1–12–01–15–0
Northern Ireland
823367−190–00–00–01–0
Bulgaria
8224614−881–30–22–11–0
Lithuania
8107419−1530–40–21–43–1
They should have won one, or both, against Switzerland instead of the 2 ties. Had penalty kicks in both and missed. Had one gone though, I believe they are in the cup.

Fcking Jorginho.

• Wow
They should have won one, or both, against Switzerland instead of the 2 ties. Had penalty kicks in both and missed. Had one gone though, I believe they are in the cup.

Fcking Jorginho.

Sheesh. That's wild. Had no idea. Yeah, so 1 PK would have lowered Switzerland's point total to 17 - while giving Italy an additional two points. Italy would have won the group 18-17. That's crazy.

• Sad
Sheesh. That's wild. Had no idea. Yeah, so 1 PK would have lowered Switzerland's point total to 17 - while giving Italy an additional two points. Italy would have won the group 18-17. That's crazy.
I’m a big soccer fan, Italy being my team (outside the US). Watched every minute of the debacle of them not making it in.

From the highest of highs of the euro cup to a quick reset of playing the younger guys and moving out some of the older ones. They have some really good young players though so the future looks bright.

I’m a big soccer fan, Italy being my team (outside the US). Watched every minute of the debacle of them not making it in.

From the highest of highs of the euro cup to a quick reset of playing the younger guys and moving out some of the older ones. They have some really good young players though so the future looks bright.

Federico Chiesa was my favorite Italian to watch from Euros last year. He just seemed to play with incredible pace. Lots of beautiful plays from him.

• Love
Federico Chiesa was my favorite Italian to watch from Euros last year. He just seemed to play with incredible pace. Lots of beautiful plays from him.
Chiesa is my favorite player right now. He is coming off a pretty serious knee injury so I’m not 100% sure he is going to ever be exactly the same player he was. I hope he can be. The dude is 100% heart. Goes after it every single play and has the talent to match.

• Wow
Anyone else about to watch? They even have it on in the service department. I'll have in on mute in my office trying not to look down if I have a customer.

Last edited:
  • Haha
So Iran beat Wales, what does that mean for us?

With the tie vs. England, we advance if we beat Iran. A win will get us to 5 points and neither Iran or Wales can get to 5 if we win. Wales beats England and we win the group with our win. Wales and England tie and it’ll depend on goal differential for who wins group. England has a +4 GD so that’ll be tough to overcome. Loss or tie to Iran and we are done.

I hate Berhalter and the fact we’ve only had two shots on target is a great stat to point to why. We have way too much talent for that. One strategy, no backup strategy.

Hopefully plan A gets us the W today.

I hate Berhalter and the fact we’ve only had two shots on target is a great stat to point to why. We have way too much talent for that. One strategy, no backup strategy.

Hopefully plan A gets us the W today.

Wow! That's not good! That really is a telling stat. US knows they have to get a dub, so no excuses today.

We did have 2 excellent shots that I recall against England that wouldn't count as shots on target, though. Pulisic had one that went off the crossbar. Beautiful strike, but just a little too high... and then Weston McKennie had a great opportunity, I believe in the first half, which he mishit. Not as bad as the Wondolowski shank against Belgium in 2014, but still painful to see a great opportunity missed - and to miss that badly.

Sheesh. We've had two headers on target. But neither one had ANY power on them.

ADVERTISEMENT