ADVERTISEMENT

Wofford @ UNC

I’ve seen some lopsided efforts from th refs in the dean dome before but this one may take the cake

I could go thru chapter and verse some of the worst officiated games in the history of history - especially the ACC Tournament - when only the winner got into the Dance - UNC IS the Old Testament on home cookin, where Duke is the NEW Testament.

Like most ACC fans have said for 50 years (outside of Duke and UNC of course) - when you recruit the best players in country, have great coaching staffs - you do not need the damn refs too.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
This. I have a hard time giving Carolina any grief right now.

It does make struggles easier this year. However, I came into the year thinking there would be a lot of these type games. Then there were some flashes that kind of made me change my mind a little. Now I am back where I started expectation wise.

Reactions: UNC71-00
It does make struggles easier this year. However, I came into the year thinking there would be a lot of these type games. Then there were some flashes that kind of made me change my mind a little. Now I am back where I started expectation wise.
Sure, understandable. I remember after UK won their title we got a lot of crap the following year for being horrible. I figure its just part of being a blueblood these days. The "what have you done for me lately" line of thinking. That being said, this UNC team isn't anywhere close to being as bad as 13 UK, and you guys should still have a pretty solid season.

200.gif

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
I disagree about winning a title the previous year means people can't laugh at unc for losing to Wofford. As a Duke fan, I want a championship the year after a championship. Rarely happens, but doesn't mean you are okay with losing to a sorry team. Now if they win the title THIS year, that would allow them to brush this off.

I disagree about winning a title the previous year means people can't laugh at unc for losing to Wofford. As a Duke fan, I want a championship the year after a championship. Rarely happens, but doesn't mean you are okay with losing to a sorry team. Now if they win the title THIS year, that would allow them to brush this off.
I don't think they're okay with it, but it certainly softens the blow. I think BBN would have had Cal's head in 13 if they didn't win the title in a dominant way the year before.

Reactions: UNC71-00
The title in 2015 softened the blow of losing to Mercer in 2014. It didn't soften the blow of any loss in 2016. We look forward for success and look backward to hide our failures.

The title in 2015 softened the blow of losing to Mercer in 2014. It didn't soften the blow of any loss in 2016. We look forward for success and look backward to hide our failures.
That doesn't make sense. The 2015 teams core was so different from 2014. It's not like the core of the 2014 team somehow rectified something they didn't accomplish the year before as a group in 2015.

That doesn't make sense. The 2015 teams core was so different from 2014. It's not like the core of the 2014 team somehow rectified something they didn't accomplish the year before as a group in 2015.
Sure, if we are looking at it through the players' eyes. But as a fan. Same could be said about the core of unc from last year to this year.

It was a bad loss. As you said, a lot of highly ranked teams have lost to bad teams. It's not the end of the season or anything, but last year's title doesn't soften anything this year. IMO

I don't think they're okay with it, but it certainly softens the blow. I think BBN would have had Cal's head in 13 if they didn't win the title in a dominant way the year before.

That and what this team is. It doesn't make it cool but I think many of us kind of expect it. This team is going to have to hit outside shots to win, especially on days when they just aren't playing well. 28% from out there is going to be an L on those days. Our bigs just aren't going to be able to do enough right now to offset it.

Winning a NC probably takes a lot of the sting out of this.
Yeah. When the onslaught of texts came from friends, I immediately told them we’d dry our tears w the ‘17 banner.

What an awful loss, though.

Sure, if we are looking at it through the players' eyes. But as a fan. Same could be said about the core of unc from last year to this year.

It was a bad loss. As you said, a lot of highly ranked teams have lost to bad teams. It's not the end of the season or anything, but last year's title doesn't soften anything this year. IMO
Exactly this is on this group and will have no reflection to last years group or carry over to next years group. This group is kinda the transition team from the old guard of the last 4-5 years to the next group. This team is the 2005-2006 team or the 2009-2010 team. Different makeups roster wise obviously but teams with the last remainders of FF title teams on their way out with a lot of younger guys.

Exactly this is on this group and will have no reflection to last years group or carry over to next years group. This group is kinda the transition team from the old guard of the last 4-5 years to the next group. This team is the 2005-2006 team or the 2009-2010 team. Different makeups roster wise obviously but teams with the last remainders of FF title teams on their way out with a lot of younger guys.
Yep. Roy has always done his best work when he has the best team. Sounds simple enough, but many coaches don’t have the success he does when they’re the best, or one of the best.

Dadgummit, get those kids to their AAS class, dadgummit, gosh darn, dadgum...oh, it's online? Well.dadgummit, I didn't know nothin', for 20 years about those classes, oh Wofford? DADgummit,,,,,
0/10
Yep. Roy has always done his best work when he has the best team. Sounds simple enough, but many coaches don’t have the success he does when they’re the best, or one of the best.
well he is able to retain players (hold them back) like no other top program which helps. Felton was talked about as a potential OAD before the season started but Roy has fixed that pretty quickly, bet he can't wait to be the highest rated player in his class still in college like so many tar heels before him. Winking

well he is able to retain players (hold them back) like no other top program which helps. Felton was talked about as a potential OAD before the season started but Roy has fixed that pretty quickly, bet he can't wait to be the highest rated player in his class still in college like so many tar heels before him. Winking
Anyone who scouted Felton and said OAD should not be taken seriously. He wasn’t even a 5-star as far as I know. For good reason. Have you seen the kid play? He’ll be lucky to be 3AD.

Anyone who scouted Felton and said OAD should not be taken seriously. He wasn’t even a 5-star as far as I know. For good reason. Have you seen the kid play? He’ll be lucky to be 3AD.
lol... he was getting hyped by your home board for the most part and I do think he has the most NBA potential of anyone on UNC's roster right now. I'm just messing with you though and I haven't watched UNC since the MSU debacle but he seems to be catching a lot of crap from your fans after last night.

lol... he was getting hyped by your home board for the most part and I do think he has the most NBA potential of anyone on UNC's roster right now. I'm just messing with you though and I haven't watched UNC since the MSU debacle but he seems to be catching a lot of crap from your fans after last night.
Bah. Got me. Right on. Home board posters are idiots. Nothing like the sophisticated and honorable gents of his board. o_O

Fwiw, I’m not sure we have an NBA prospect on the roster.

I hate to state the obvious, but doesn't every coach do their best work when they have the best team?
Roy actually does his best work when he has the best team 2 years in a row. 2008, 2009, 2016, 2017.

Bah. Got me. Right on. Home board posters are idiots. Nothing like the sophisticated and honorable gents of his board. o_O

Fwiw, I’m not sure we have an NBA prospect on the roster.
I can see Berry having a similar career to Quinn Cook. Go undrafted, bust ass in the D/G league, get a contract and work his way onto a roster.

Felton is the best NBA prospect as far as talent/athleticism goes and would probably do better to get drafted early in his career since the NBA drafts on potential.

I often wonder if the Gary's of the world are really as stupid as they appear to be on the message board? We have some on RR that are equal to, if not worse than Gary. The blue tinted glasses they wear must have a lens one inch thick. They complain about refs even when we win by 30.
Not all of us Gary’s are as stupid as Guru Gary lol

Reactions: KyFaninNC
Hate to answer w the obvious, but does a 1-seed (or the best team) win it all every year?
That answer is predicated heavily on the selection committee seeding the teams appropriately, which we know is not the case. Then there are many other variables to consider. Geography for one. Matchups for another.

Yeah. When the onslaught of texts came from friends, I immediately told them we’d dry our tears w the ‘17 banner.

What an awful loss, though.

I'm with you here. I have to turn off my phone for like 10 hours after every Duke loss. It comes with the territory.

Reactions: 829305
"I just don't buy UNC being that good this year. Then again, I said the same thing the last two years, so apparently I know exactly jack shit"

they werent great last year. But after duke went down despit all the officials could do, they were the ncaas next pick, sure as heck werent going to alow uks freshmen to win it all. That and the ncaa now messing with uks recruiting,bagley, is why I do not believe cal when he says he didnt contact the nets this summer. Believed him every other time.

Last edited:
Reactions: shun1
"I just don't buy UNC being that good this year. Then again, I said the same thing the last two years, so apparently I know exactly jack shit"

they werent great last year. But after duke went down despit all the officials could do, they were the ncaas next pick, sure as heck werent going to alow uks freshmen to win it all. That and the ncaa now messing with uks recruiting,bagley, is why I do not believe cal when he says he didnt contact the nets this summer. Believed him every other time.

You need to take a step back but posting stupid stuff is the norm for you.

Reactions: Quavarius
ADVERTISEMENT