ADVERTISEMENT

Will the AP voters finally stop trolling Michigan?

i suspect UM will get some #1 votes, but that duke will be back at 1 this week followed by UT and then UM.

aren't they currently 3rd? i think with UM, folks are still waiting them out. on the other hand, tennessee has been top 5 since the preseason.

Yes they are currently 3rd. But I don’t get why. Michigan’s wins are just as impressive (if not more) without having a loss.

Reactions: tw3301
The folks who vote. Most have deeply held biases. I agree with Hail. I don't know why Virginia or Michigan should not be a combination of either 1 or 2. Michigan beat the stuffings out of Nova and the TarHeels. Why should they not be number 1?

It was political that UK started the season at 2. It was political that Duke moved up to the top after beating one team. It was not voted on facts just biases. Of course in basketball championships are not determined by the polls, thank goodness.

In the old days before we had a football playoff the Big 10 had a far better chance to win the mythical championship than say a team from the SEC. (Since the playoff started Ohio State is the only one that has punched the ticket.) The Big 10 states had big populations and a large number of votes in the poles. Plus, Notre Dame can't win a championship on the field on before the playoffs, but they always get undeserved votes in the polls.

The polls are polls; a collection of biases and little knowledge. I will bet that I watch more basketball than just about any of the pollsters.
Dukes resume is better than Michigan and UVA. Is that even a debate at this point? I think Michigan's good for sure and I enjoy watching them play. However what are you going on other than opinion that Michigan deserves to be #1? Is it the same thing the voters for the polls go on? The eye test? If it is, like your post up there suggests.....pot meet kettle...

UVA, eh. They are good but are you really saying they should be ranked ahead of Duke?

Dukes resume is better than Michigan and UVA. Is that even a debate at this point? I think Michigan's good for sure and I enjoy watching them play. However what are you going on other than opinion that Michigan deserves to be #1? Is it the same thing the voters for the polls go on? The eye test? If it is, like your post up there suggests.....pot meet kettle...

UVA, eh. They are good but are you really saying they should be ranked ahead of Duke?

Michigan vs Duke resume is more debatable than Tennessee vs Michigan.

Reactions: denniden

I don’t think UVA should be ranked ahead of Duke but I also feel very confident in saying that, if we had your resume and you had ours, you’d be ranked ahead of us. A 1-loss UVA will never be ranked ahead of an undefeated Duke regardless of resume

I don't know that Duke's resume is any better than Michigan's at all. UVA has not played the quality of teams that Michigan has so I will leave that up to you. So, yes, it is a debate to suggest that Michigan is good enough to be ranked number 1............ I am not very bright but I am stupid enough to debate it.

I am going on the eye test, pure and simple. Now, if I had a vote I would watch more games and check more stats; because in life I have excelled by doing my damned home work. The dipwads voting in the polls don't apparently even watch the games or do their homework. They watch SportsCenter and go with the flow.

Let me know when Duke beats UNC worse than Michigan did. We all know that Duke will not beat any team this year worse than they did poor old number 2 Kentucky. I give Duke their due but Michigan has really looked good.

I would like to know why in hell you feel that Duke should be ranked ahead of Michigan.

Duke’s top 50 wins:
#11 neutral by 11
#13 neutral by 6
#15 neutral by 34
#22 home by 21

Dukes losses:
#3 neutral by 2

Michigan’s top 50 wins:
#7 home by 17
#18 away by 27
#19 home by 19
#45 away by 2

Michigan’s losses:
None

Tennessee’s top 50 wins:
#3 neutral by 3
#38 neutral by 9

Tennessee’s losses:
#5 neutral by 6

No one on this forum should be able to look at that and say the gap between Michigan/duke resumes is bigger than the gap between Tennessee/Michigan resumes.

I don't know that Duke's resume is any better than Michigan's at all. UVA has not played the quality of teams that Michigan has so I will leave that up to you. So, yes, it is a debate to suggest that Michigan is good enough to be ranked number 1............ I am not very bright but I am stupid enough to debate it.

I am going on the eye test, pure and simple. Now, if I had a vote I would watch more games and check more stats; because in life I have excelled by doing my damned home work. The dipwads voting in the polls don't apparently even watch the games or do their homework. They watch SportsCenter and go with the flow.

Let me know when Duke beats UNC worse than Michigan did. We all know that Duke will not beat any team this year worse than they did poor old number 2 Kentucky. I give Duke their due but Michigan has really looked good.

I would like to know why in hell you feel that Duke should be ranked ahead of Michigan.

I personally don’t have a problem with Duke ahead of Michigan. It’s the Tennessee above Michigan ranking that triggers me. What more does Michigan have to do? We are undefeated and have blown out three kenpom top 25 teams (one on the road by 27).

The constant repeating your opinions over, and over and over and over
No one here can help your cause. I do know Rick Bozich from Louisville, shall I text him?

It’s confined to a single thread and the title of the thread gives my premise. If it annoys you, don’t click it.

Reactions: MKordIUBB
Yes they are currently 3rd. But I don’t get why. Michigan’s wins are just as impressive (if not more) without having a loss.

i told you it has to do with tennessee being seen as legit top 5 since preseason and UM not. but i mean com'on. they are a top 5 team right now. each one of the top 5 has a legit case to make at being #1.

Probably but why is UT 2nd?
Started in the Top 5...This time of year, where you started plays a huge role. IU beat Marquette by 23. Yet MU is ranked higher.

Plus, UT has wins over Marquette, Louisville and Gonzaga. And probably should have beaten Kansas.

I'm big on Michigan. Think they are the best team. But the two teams that will probably be ahead them, are pretty damn good too.

Right now, I like both UM and UT. THink they are the two best teams in CBB right now.

Probably but why is UT 2nd?
They shouldn't be, they're not that good. They beat gonzaga who has been struggling since their super bowl victory where they shot over 70% in the first half and have been riding that ever since. They don't pass the eye test imo, they're ok but nothing special.

Duke’s top 50 wins:
#11 neutral by 11
#13 neutral by 6
#15 neutral by 34
#22 home by 21

Dukes losses:
#3 neutral by 2

Michigan’s top 50 wins:
#7 home by 17
#18 away by 27
#19 home by 19
#45 away by 2

Michigan’s losses:
None

Tennessee’s top 50 wins:
#3 neutral by 3
#38 neutral by 9

Tennessee’s losses:
#5 neutral by 6

No one on this forum should be able to look at that and say the gap between Michigan/duke resumes is bigger than the gap between Tennessee/Michigan resumes.
I agree, Michigan should at the least be #2 right now. I think the UNC victory was inflated a bit by Roy sitting his good players and letting the score get out of control to prove a point but Michigan would still have won that game by 10+. Tennessee does not pass the eye test, 1 big victory aside (even though that same team got blown out by UNC a week later and struggled to beat Washington right before).

Michigan crack your top 25 yet?

Oh yeah... long time ago for me. I've conceded that already. I don't think anyone knew that Iggy was going to be as good as he is. I mean, he's the MVP of the team right now - ahead of Charles Matthews, a redshirt junior and a Pre-Season All-American candidate. Not sure many people saw that coming.

I actually had Michigan as my #1 team two weeks... I'd keep them #1 if I had a vote, FWIW. Didn't mean anything bad when asking about the games against SC and Western Michigan. I was just surprised when looking at the score. I didn't watch the games, so I can't really comment on how they looked.

If it's merit-based, I'd say:

1. Michigan
2. Kansas
3. Tennessee
4. Gonzaga
5. Duke
6. Virginia
7. Nevada
8. Auburn
9. Texas Tech
10. Michigan State

If it's based on the eye-test, I'd go with:

1. Michigan
2. Duke
3. Gonzaga (still missing 2 of their top 7 players)
4. Tennessee
5. Kansas
6. Virginia
7. Michigan State
8. Auburn
9. North Carolina
10. Nevada

The folks who vote. Most have deeply held biases. I agree with Hail. I don't know why Virginia or Michigan should not be a combination of either 1 or 2. Michigan beat the stuffings out of Nova and the TarHeels. Why should they not be number 1?

It was political that UK started the season at 2. It was political that Duke moved up to the top after beating one team. It was not voted on facts just biases. Of course in basketball championships are not determined by the polls, thank goodness.

In the old days before we had a football playoff the Big 10 had a far better chance to win the mythical championship than say a team from the SEC. (Since the playoff started Ohio State is the only one that has punched the ticket.) The Big 10 states had big populations and a large number of votes in the poles. Plus, Notre Dame can't win a championship on the field on before the playoffs, but they always get undeserved votes in the polls.

The polls are polls; a collection of biases and little knowledge. I will bet that I watch more basketball than just about any of the pollsters.
Please tell me you aren't arguing Notre Dame got undeserved votes this year.

They absolutely belong in the playoff.

Reactions: sgrooms
Why are y’all sweating a damn poll in DECEMBER? CBB has a playoff. If things play out, Michigan and Tennessee can settle things on the court. So can Duke and Kansas, or any other top team in America.

Reactions: tw3301
Ask Della. She has followed basketball for two years now, so she can tell you.
That is easy Bert. Since UT is a perennial basketball powerhouse the AP voters eyes glaze over.
Michigan fans, don't hate the player, hate the game.:)

Duke’s top 50 wins:
#11 neutral by 11
#13 neutral by 6
#15 neutral by 34
#22 home by 21

Dukes losses:
#3 neutral by 2

Michigan’s top 50 wins:
#7 home by 17
#18 away by 27
#19 home by 19
#45 away by 2

Michigan’s losses:
None

Tennessee’s top 50 wins:
#3 neutral by 3
#38 neutral by 9

Tennessee’s losses:
#5 neutral by 6

If you're going to make a case (and I think you have a good one) at least be honest. UT beat #1 on a neutral and lost to #1 on a neutral.

I don’t think UVA should be ranked ahead of Duke but I also feel very confident in saying that, if we had your resume and you had ours, you’d be ranked ahead of us. A 1-loss UVA will never be ranked ahead of an undefeated Duke regardless of resume
I disagree but this all speculation anyway, so keep that confidence.

If you're going to make a case (and I think you have a good one) at least be honest. UT beat #1 on a neutral and lost to #1 on a neutral.

When measuring Top 50 wins, it's not based on the teams AP ranking at the time of the game. It's those teams' current ranking based on whatever metric you're using, NET/Kenpom/RPI.

I’m going by their current kenpom rankings. Kansas just lost to Arizona State and won’t be #1 anymore.

Again Bert, those "dipwads" also vote on the eye test. Why is it that you have the superiority over their opinions?

Duke's resume is pretty damn good. They currently sit atop the Ken Pom rankings and are top 3 offensively and defensively. While playing a schedule that ranks ahead Michigan's by a significant margin in just about every rankings of SOS that there is. I don't think it is outlandish to say Duke is #1 right now. I also don't watch Sportscenter and haven't for years.

I'll just put this right here:

"There are a few candidates for No. 1, Duke, Michigan and Tennessee chief among them.

Duke and Tennessee each have one loss, with Duke's to Gonzaga and Tennessee's to Kansas. Duke, however, has defeated Texas Tech, Auburn, Kentucky and Indiana, while Tennessee's best wins are over Gonzaga and Louisville. The Blue Devils have the clear edge over the Volunteers in that category, and that's before factoring in Duke's terrific schedule-adjusted efficiency numbers.

Michigan, of course, remains one of five unbeatens in the country, and the Wolverines are the best of that lot. They have an elite defense, along with wins over North Carolina, Villanova and Purdue. Duke gets a slight edge over the Wolverines, too. Duke also gets the nod over unbeatens Virginia and Nevada, as well as one-loss Kansas.

Simply put, Duke has been the most dominant team in college basketball so far this season -- and the Blue Devils have the quality wins to back up that assertion. They aren't without flaws, and Texas Tech might have provided the formula to the ACC on how to slow them down, but as we head into conference play, Duke will sit at No. 1."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25379665/college-basketball-power-rankings

I'll just put this right here:

"There are a few candidates for No. 1, Duke, Michigan and Tennessee chief among them.

Duke and Tennessee each have one loss, with Duke's to Gonzaga and Tennessee's to Kansas. Duke, however, has defeated Texas Tech, Auburn, Kentucky and Indiana, while Tennessee's best wins are over Gonzaga and Louisville. The Blue Devils have the clear edge over the Volunteers in that category, and that's before factoring in Duke's terrific schedule-adjusted efficiency numbers.

Michigan, of course, remains one of five unbeatens in the country, and the Wolverines are the best of that lot. They have an elite defense, along with wins over North Carolina, Villanova and Purdue. Duke gets a slight edge over the Wolverines, too. Duke also gets the nod over unbeatens Virginia and Nevada, as well as one-loss Kansas.

Simply put, Duke has been the most dominant team in college basketball so far this season -- and the Blue Devils have the quality wins to back up that assertion. They aren't without flaws, and Texas Tech might have provided the formula to the ACC on how to slow them down, but as we head into conference play, Duke will sit at No. 1."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25379665/college-basketball-power-rankings
Tell us how Nevada has earned such lofty levels with their schedule?

Tell us how Nevada has earned such lofty levels with their schedule?

That's not even the discussion? Quit changing the goal posts and just be happy your team is better than Nevada. It's Christmas Eve, feel free to smile.

Michigan #2
How do you feel about that? IU moved down to 23, which I agree with that ranking but there is no way we should be behind Houston. They’ve barely scraped by against multiple unbanked teams like Saint Louis by 5, Rio Grande by 5, Utah State by 10, LSU by around 6, yet they are still 22. A team least the committee puts emphasis on the net, where IU is a little higher.

Shocked UVA is ahead of Kansas.

I’m fine with 4th though.

Wow, #1 in the Coaches Poll. Was not expecting that.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
How do you feel about that? IU moved down to 23, which I agree with that ranking but there is no way we should be behind Houston. They’ve barely scraped by against multiple unbanked teams like Saint Louis by 5, Rio Grande by 5, Utah State by 10, LSU by around 6, yet they are still 22. A team least the committee puts emphasis on the net, where IU is a little higher.
I do think we are getting no love...Beat #18 Marquette like a drum(96-73). Have wins over Butler and Louisville. I don't see how we drop...Or fall behind Houston; who's beaten a bunch of cup cakes; sans LSU. Is what it is. I do think we are a TOp 20 team, with tons of room for improvement.

Seton Hall is getting more votes than us. We're still like 34-35. So even with a UK win we won't jump that many spots. MSU still 8th and we aren't getting any human recognition for that. NET has us at 17 I believe.

How Seton Hall gets more votes than us is just beyond funny. I don't think these guys watch or keep up with the games anymore. IU dropping a spot? For what????

How is Marquette only 18th? They have 3 top 25 wins and played KU tough on a neutral court. Blowout loss to IU but that's it.

These guys are clueless

Reactions: HoosierstuckinIowa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT