ADVERTISEMENT

Why is no one talking about Luka?

The nba is a better product by miles. There are some guys that are awful to watch (Harden) but that doesn't change the fact that level of quality is so different it's not even funny.

And Luka has been getting a ton of hype by people online. Sorry Sportscenter doesn't care.

I don’t give a shit. NBA regular season games are like getting a handjob without lube, better product or not.

Anyone who can watch college and the NBA and come away thinking CBB is the better product knows nothing about basketball. The only reason (and it is valid) to prefer college is school loyalty.

I didn’t go to Michigan and I prefer college basketball over the NBA. Michigan could drop its program and I’d still prefer college basketball over the NBA.

College b-ball really is objectively terrible. No talent. The officiating is so bad. Most prob say the same about NBA but at least they don’t have the rinky dink ‘freedom of movement’ or dumb technicals.

The tournament is awesome but it’s just bad basketball. Except at Auburn of course...

Reactions: L I G E R
NBA fans suck off that league so much they act that they really believe the only things different bout the two that could make someone like college more is school loyalty.

The nba is a better product by miles. There are some guys that are awful to watch (Harden) but that doesn't change the fact that level of quality is so different it's not even funny.

And Luka has been getting a ton of hype by people online. Sorry Sportscenter doesn't care.
Professionals are better at what they do than amateurs? Surely that can't be true.

NBA is such a superior product, Kev. You’re gay!
images

Reactions: UL_1986
Luka Doncic is having arguably the greatest basketball season ever for a 20 year old and it seems to be largely flying under the radar.

He's averaging 28.8 points/9.5 rebounds/9 assists a game!!

Is it because he isn't American? I remember the media talking 24/7 about LeQueen when he entered the league. Instead, most sports shows spend 30 mins on the Cowboys/15 mins on the Pats/15 mins on the 2 L.A. NBA teams instead.

Translation: I just started paying attention to this NBA season yesterday.

Luka is probably the most talked about player in the entire league this year. The OP couldn't be more inaccurate.

Every day I get on Instagram I see many posts about Luka from not only nba’s handle, sc, but many other big accounts.

Professionals are better at what they do than amateurs? Surely that can't be true.
The disparity has increased a lot. Guys used to stay in college longer and there’s so many great international players now in the NBA that never go to college.

I am and I don't feel he's talked about enough at least on the big sports daytime shows. LeBron was all anyone talked about back in 2005. He deserves more coverage.

He doesn't need it here. Here he's not relevant... Of course here I am drawing attention to it
confusedmacgyvermeme-5ab8392eae9ab8003778609b.PNG

Luka Doncic is having arguably the greatest basketball season ever for a 20 year old and it seems to be largely flying under the radar.

Is it because he isn't American? I remember the media talking 24/7 about LeQueen when he entered the league. Instead, most sports shows spend 30 mins on the Cowboys/15 mins on the Pats/15 mins on the 2 L.A. NBA teams instead.

You’re spot on that Luka is incredible, but I have no clue what you’re talking about in regards to it flying under the radar. He’s getting major hype. The guy was a top 12 pick in our fantasy league before this season so he was already being hyped.

He’s in the MVP conversation.

NBA is incredible, we're living in the golden age as far as talent goes league wide...if we weren't fans of blue blood programs or Auburn fans apparently, there's no way we can justify watching the steaming pile on dung that is CBB now. Its an awful product.

Freaking nailed it. The breadth and depth of talent in the NBA right now is stunning. Truly an incredible league. As bad as things were from 2003-2009, they are equally great now.

NBA is incredible, we're living in the golden age as far as talent goes league wide...if we weren't fans of blue blood programs or Auburn fans apparently, there's no way we can justify watching the steaming pile on dung that is CBB now. Its an awful product.

That’s like.... your opinion, man. There are a lot of us here that prefer college basketball over the NBA. For me it’s not even close.

NBA fans suck off that league so much they act that they really believe the only things different bout the two that could make someone like college more is school loyalty.

Oh there’s plenty different. Essentially everyone can shoot in the league. The best shooters have such deep range it makes it nearly impossible to defend. The reffing is way better. The pace of play is better. The athletes are bigger and more explosive. And the number of defensive plays made above the rim is vastly superior to college.

Oh there’s plenty different. Essentially everyone can shoot in the league. The best shooters have such deep range it makes it nearly impossible to defend. The reffing is way better. The pace of play is better. The athletes are bigger and more explosive. And the number of defensive plays made above the rim is vastly superior to college.

Reread the post. The guy I’m responding to is saying the only reason anyone could prefer college basketball is school loyalty. That’s just not true.

Translation: I just started paying attention to this NBA season yesterday.

Luka is probably the most talked about player in the entire league this year. The OP couldn't be more inaccurate.

Pretty spot on for him tbh

To be clear, I’m talking about the popular sports talk shows (Uninterrupted, First Take, First Things First, The Herd, etc.) and the general public.

Obviously anyone who follows the NBA regularly is going to know about him like lot of the posters here but he doesn’t seem to be mainstream yet. Even people that didn’t follow sports knew about LBJ right out of the draft.

I actually think Zion might be more popular than Luka to the average Joe just due to his college success despite not stepping on a NBA court yet.

To be clear, I’m talking about the popular sports talk shows (Uninterrupted, First Take, First Things First, The Herd, etc.) and the general public.

Obviously anyone who follows the NBA regularly is going to know about him like lot of the posters here but he doesn’t seem to be mainstream yet. Even people that didn’t follow sports knew about LBJ right out of the draft.

I actually think Zion might be more popular than Luka to the average Joe just due to his college success despite not stepping on a NBA court yet.

I don’t think any of those shows you listed are popular. None of the 20-30 people I regularly talk sports with watch those shows. The only time I ever even see them on is if I go into a restaurant at lunch and they’ve got something on the TVs in the background with no sound.

I prefer college basketball. It is easily my favorite sport. The NBA is a way better product though.

Ok but can you admit its based on school loyalty, tradition and/or because you grew up watching due to your affiliation with a top program?

All @GE Nole and @UL_1986 and others are saying is that its very unlikely for someone who didn't grow up cheering for a specific CBB team or watch the Tournament religiously with their family to prefer CBB to the NBA now.

If you like basketball, there's only one league that's offering a high quality product for the sport now and its not NCAA hoops.

Ok but can you admit its based on school loyalty, tradition and/or because you grew up watching due to your affiliation with a top program?

All @GE Nole and @UL_1986 and others are saying is that its very unlikely for someone who didn't grow up cheering for a specific CBB team or watch the Tournament religiously with their family to prefer CBB to the NBA now.

If you like basketball, there's only one league that's offering a high quality product for the sport now and its not NCAA hoops.

No, those aren’t the only reasons.

-I enjoy following recruiting. Most of the world doesn’t know who Hunter Dickinson is. I’ve followed his closely for the past year. That’s unique to college sports.

-I love the college atmosphere. I’ve been to Bucks games and to the Kohl center. There is a massive difference between the two.

-I love rivalries. Pro sports just don’t come close to matching the magnitude of college rivalries. Duke/North Carolina, Louisville/Kentucky, Michigan/Michigan St., etc. I don’t even know who the Bucks rivals is. Detroit? Cleveland? Minnesota? Chicago? None of those rivalries really move the needle.

-Coaching impact is different between the two leagues. I feel like good coaches can separate themselves more in college.

-Regular season schedules are better in college basketball IMO. How awesome are early season tournaments? In Big Ten conference play there are big games night in and night out with conference title implications. Wins carry more weight. Losses hurt more.

-Upsets. Upsets in college basketball are more fun for me to watch that upsets in any other sport. Golden State beating Houston doesn’t do much for me. Miami beating New England doesn’t do much for me. Evansville beating Kentucky gives me a massive boner.

-Post season. Give me conference tournament week and March Madness over 2 months of NBA playoffs.

These are MY reasons for preferring college basketball over any other sport, including the NBA. You don’t have to agree with them, but I personally will take sloppier play and worse players.... an “inferior product”..... because of all of the things above.

No, those aren’t the only reasons.

-I enjoy following recruiting. Most of the world doesn’t know who Hunter Dickinson is. I’ve followed his closely for the past year. That’s unique to college sports.

-I love the college atmosphere. I’ve been to Bucks games and to the Kohl center. There is a massive difference between the two.

-I love rivalries. Pro sports just don’t come close to matching the magnitude of college rivalries. Duke/North Carolina, Louisville/Kentucky, Michigan/Michigan St., etc. I don’t even know who the Bucks rivals is. Detroit? Cleveland? Minnesota? Chicago? None of those rivalries really move the needle.

-Coaching impact is different between the two leagues. I feel like good coaches can separate themselves more in college.

-Regular season schedules are better in college basketball IMO. How awesome are early season tournaments? In Big Ten conference play there are big games night in and night out with conference title implications. Wins carry more weight. Losses hurt more.

-Upsets. Upsets in college basketball are more fun for me to watch that upsets in any other sport. Golden State beating Houston doesn’t do much for me. Miami beating New England doesn’t do much for me. Evansville beating Kentucky gives me a massive boner.

-Post season. Give me conference tournament week and March Madness over 2 months of NBA playoffs.

These are MY reasons for preferring college basketball over any other sport, including the NBA. You don’t have to agree with them, but I personally will take sloppier play and worse players.... an “inferior product”..... because of all of the things above.

Yeah, those are all good reasons for being pro college. I agree with them all. Much of that sort of boils down to the emotion involved (not all of it of course). I watch the NBA but I'll watch any college basketball game and can find myself invested in it to some degree. I watch the NBA just to see great players play the game.

I understand the reasons people prefer the pro game. There are some good reasons for sure. I just fall more in line with all the things Hail says here.

The atmosphere between college sports and pro sports is just different. The Packers are arguably the most tradition rich franchise in NFL history in terms of team, history, stadium, and fanbase. Yet IMO Saturday’s on regent street and Camp Randall trump games in Green Bay at Lambeau.

I remember when I used to go to all the Austin Peay games. The Austin Peay/Murray games were as intense as any pro game IMO. It would get pretty wild in the stands between the fans. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing but I do agree the atmosphere is generally different in the college rivalries.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

Well I am not talking about him, because I don't watch that garbage called the NBA. College bball is what I watch. It is the same with the NFL-Boring!!!!!

Dude----Thread title probably got Gil, all fired up.

And then ---BANG!!

Luka DONIC.RollLaugh

Do you have the internet or cable TV?

NBA blows. Pretty much just full of teams with 1 to maybe 3 guys that are gonna shoot it constantly (Harden, LeBron, Lillard, Curry, etc). Everybody else standing around watching the one on one take place. No real defense till the playoffs. Thank God for College ball, Netflix and Amazon Prime TV.

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
Meh. NBA has better players, but the style of play is essentially the same. With just a 24 second shot clock, most of the time we're just seeing PnR action or ISO. I don't buy into the "loyalty" argument at all for college. Less than 10% of the games I watch are Duke games.

Things I love about college over pros:

Different styles of of play. Pros it's almost exclusively man-to-man defense. In college, we'll see 1-3-1 and 2-3 zones. We'll see 2-2-1 halfcourt presses and full-court presses. We'll see teams that run-and-gun like North Carolina and Marquette. We'll see teams that utilize the shot clock and like to grind it out like Virginia and Saint Mary's. A different style of play is great because it allows for inferior teams to strategize on how to effectively contain, limit, and frustrate the opposing team.

Games are more meaningful. In the NBA, in 82 game season is a drag. One game isn't very significant. In college, you have maybe 10-15 games quad 1 games that determine the bulk of your resume.

Atmosphere. Arguably the biggest reason. Most top 30-40 teams are consistently filling-out the stadium. And NBA crowds simply can't match the intensity and chaos of a student section. Also, I feel like the college kids are more passionate than NBA guys that often times seem indifferent.

More teams can compete. In a typical NBA year, there might be 2-3 contenders. In the NCAAs it's realistic to have 10+ contenders. And the possibilities for the Final Four are endless. In the last 40 years, 8 NBA franchises have won 36 NBA titles. It's very, very hard for a great team to lose in a 7 game series. There is unfiltered magic in the NCAA Tournament that the NBA Playoffs will never be able to rival.

Do you have the internet or cable TV?
Again for the millionth time, I'm not talking about anyone who's reasonably plugged into the NBA. I'm referring to the general public who doesn't follow the sport at all till maybe the playoffs-even they were fully aware of Lebron and Durant when they just entered the league and it was constantly on the mainstream media. I personally feel like he isn't discussed enough on the big talk shows with what he's doing with the Mavs this year.

Meh. NBA has better players, but the style of play is essentially the same. With just a 24 second shot clock, most of the time we're just seeing PnR action or ISO. I don't buy into the "loyalty" argument at all for college. Less than 10% of the games I watch are Duke games.

Things I love about college over pros:

Different styles of of play. Pros it's almost exclusively man-to-man defense. In college, we'll see 1-3-1 and 2-3 zones. We'll see 2-2-1 halfcourt presses and full-court presses. We'll see teams that run-and-gun like North Carolina and Marquette. We'll see teams that utilize the shot clock and like to grind it out like Virginia and Saint Mary's. A different style of play is great because it allows for inferior teams to strategize on how to effectively contain, limit, and frustrate the opposing team.

Games are more meaningful. In the NBA, in 82 game season is a drag. One game isn't very significant. In college, you have maybe 10-15 games quad 1 games that determine the bulk of your resume.

Atmosphere. Arguably the biggest reason. Most top 30-40 teams are consistently filling-out the stadium. And NBA crowds simply can't match the intensity and chaos of a student section. Also, I feel like the college kids are more passionate than NBA guys that often times seem indifferent.

More teams can compete. In a typical NBA year, there might be 2-3 contenders. In the NCAAs it's realistic to have 10+ contenders. And the possibilities for the Final Four are endless. In the last 40 years, 8 NBA franchises have won 36 NBA titles. It's very, very hard for a great team to lose in a 7 game series. There is unfiltered magic in the NCAA Tournament that the NBA Playoffs will never be able to rival.
Those are all great points but they speak more to a field competitiveness, school spirit and atmosphere stand point.

From a pure basketball standpoint, watching this year's product of CBB can't compare to watching Steph, AD, Lillard, Giannis, Kawhi, etc do their thing imo. Their offensive skillset is just so impressive to watch.

Yeah, those are all good reasons for being pro college. I agree with them all. Much of that sort of boils down to the emotion involved (not all of it of course). I watch the NBA but I'll watch any college basketball game and can find myself invested in it to some degree. I watch the NBA just to see great players play the game.

I understand the reasons people prefer the pro game. There are some good reasons for sure. I just fall more in line with all the things Hail says here.

This is a fair take.

When I roll my eyes is the “get off my lawn” crowd who says the NBA has unskilled players who just iso and don’t play D. It’s clear they haven’t watched a game since 2004.

ADVERTISEMENT