ADVERTISEMENT

Why does winning titles with multiple coaches matter to some of you?

bignish

Gold Member
Feb 15, 2016
Team
Duke
I’m biased as a Duke fan but I never understood this argument. Kevin Ollie at UConn is regarded as a failure even though he won a title his first year. Hurley seems like a good coach but if UConn follows up this run with a bunch of NIT appearances, he’d be seen as a disappointment too.

• Haha
Reactions: WeAreDePaul
Don't really need to go farther than your first sentence. Most of Duke's success is because of one guy. It's why K is the goat. But can they do it without him? Didn't before. TBD if they can after. UK has had 5 coaches win one. UNC 3. Now UConn has 3 as well.

It’s a multicoach thing. . . you wouldn’t understand.

rytteriet-snobberne.gif

Last edited:
Tells you if it's the school or the coach.

What does “it’s the school” mean, though? Like, I don’t think the admin gets credit for this. But administrators change anyway. So every ‘x’ amount of years it’s all different people. Is it the buildings? The grass?

What does “it’s the school” mean, though? Like, I don’t think the admin gets credit for this. But administrators change anyway. So every ‘x’ amount of years it’s all different people. Is it the buildings? The grass?
It's now going to be the money from boosters. It has always been will be even more so now.

I’m biased as a Duke fan but I never understood this argument. Kevin Ollie at UConn is regarded as a failure even though he won a title his first year. Hurley seems like a good coach but if UConn follows up this run with a bunch of NIT appearances, he’d be seen as a disappointment too.
Probably the dumbest statement I have seen on here. I believe they think it is talking shyt on Coach K and Duke, but it really is just showing how jealous they are.
Don't really need to go farther than your first sentence. Most of Duke's success is because of one guy. It's why K is the goat. But can they do it without him? Didn't before. TBD if they can after. UK has had 5 coaches win one. UNC 3. Now UConn has 3 as well.
hmmmmm. Tell me you don’t know Dukes history prior to K.

These conversations are always hilarious. Fans with zero tournament success are also the ones that say the post season isn't everything. The bias is real.

It's about a product sustaining over time regardless of who your HC is. It doesn't take anything away from how great a run was under one HC though, don't feel small. The Coach K era counts.

It's the same thing in the music industry with those one hit wonders everyone laughs at, only nobody is laughing at Duke. Yet.

tell us you're freaking out that you may never win another natty now that your golden goose is retired without telling us you're freaking out that you may never win another natty now that your golden goose is retired.

Bill Foster got 'em to a F4 yes if you want to feel good about that you can feel good about that too. Everyone be happy.

tell us you're freaking out that you may never win another natty now that your golden goose is retired without telling us you're freaking out that you may never win another natty now that your golden goose is retired.
So you think Uconn thought they would win another one after Calhoun? After Ollie. You are dumbest Mfer on this board. Again, sorry for whatever Duke or K did to you to make you hate them so much.

They are just a college.

‘Cause it matters whether the program can sustain the same level of success after the one coach who won everything for the school has moved on. As a duke fan, do you believe Jon Scheyer has what it takes to win titles for Duke following Coach K’s retirement? If not, how confident are you that his successor(s) can? There’re quite a bit of uncertainty for Duke’s basketball program at this point, no one will know how the next 20-30 years will be like.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
‘Cause it matters whether the program can sustain the same level of success after the one coach who won everything for the school has moved on. As a duke fan, do you believe Jon Scheyer has what it takes to win titles for Duke following Coach K’s retirement? If not, how confident are you that his successor(s) can? There’re quite a bit of uncertainty for Duke’s basketball program at this point, no one will know how the next 20-30 years will be like.
What uncertainty. Nothing has changed. Still getting top recruits and had a great year. Future looks bright.

Is Coach K the greatest of all time?

It is, simply who ya hire.....No school is immune to a bad hire..

UNC---Doherty
UK---BCG
IU--to numerus to count
UCLA---See IU.

Quite frankly, KU has seemingly never nade a bad hire. Not in my lifetime anyways.

Why would Duke hire someone else? I meanhe went to like 5 straight FF's,wonback to back Natty's---Why da fuq would you look to hire someone else? Of course the dude is gonna coach there for 100 years...Same with Rupp---- Why would have UK hired someone else during the Rupp era? Why would have IU hired someone else during the Knight era?

Debatable between him and Wooden. Coach K is known as the master of April though, there’s a reason why this ‘January, February, Izzo, Coach K’ meme exists.

Funny that you label KU "routine choker," while K is "master of April." The guy choked every bit as often as KU has. Actually worse, because he had far more talent. Sure, he had a few more titles during his run. Largely because he coached for 1000 years.

Losing with the Zion/Barrett team in the Elite 8 is far worse than, say, losing to Bradley as a young 4 seed with no NBA draft picks.

Funny that you label KU "routine choker," while K is "master of April." The guy choked every bit as often as KU has. Actually worse, because he had far more talent. Sure, he had a few more titles during his run. Largely because he coached for 1000 years.

Losing with the Zion/Barrett team in the Elite 8 is far worse than, say, losing to Bradley as a young 4 seed with no NBA draft picks.
Only KU fans would think it’s a bigger choke for a top seed to lose in elite 8(against an opponent like Izzo and MSU), than a 4 seed to lose in round of 64 against a mid major, nice try bro. Turns out only Zion was as good as advertised, Barrett was overrated and Reddish was shit. Oh yeah it must be Coach K’s fault that Barrett choked a game tying FT? By that logic, should we blame Bill Self for KU’s loss to Arkansas this year?

Last edited:
Only KU fans would think it’s a bigger choke for a top seed to lose in elite 8(against an opponent like Izzo and MSU), than a 4 seed to lose in round of 64 against a mid major, nice try bro. Turns out only Zion was as good as advertised, Barrett was overrated and Reddish was shit. Oh yeah it must be Coach K’s fault that Barrett choked a game tying FT? By that logic, should we blame Bill Self for KU’s loss to Arkansas this year?

LMAO

Was K not on the sideline? I'm struggling to understand the comparison.

But yeah, since we're removing blame from K because of a freaking missed FT, we can definitely remove the title game vs Syracuse when KU missed 18 FTs. And the loss to Stanford when they were missing one of the most talented players of all time. Both tourney losses without Azubuike. Bucknell because Langford wasn't healthy. Michigan due to missed FTs and a 10 second call. Etc.

Duke had a generational talent surrounded by TWO MORE lottery picks, plus two more top 15 players and two other top 30ish players. WTF more do you want? They beat a good Kentucky team by like 40, and you're saying they weren't good enough. Hilarious. Who's fault is it that they peaked in the first game of the season, btw? Not a good look for the coach when your team gets worse throughout the year.

That KU team was unranked to start the year and no one from the roster was drafted after the season. It was an accomplishment to get them to a 4 seed. Comparing the expectations of the two is absolutely hilarious.

K also lost to Lehigh and Mercer. Both worse than any tourney loss in KU history.

Dude had all the talent in the world every damn year and still failed to play to seed a majority of the time.

It is, simply who ya hire.....No school is immune to a bad hire..

UNC---Doherty
UK---BCG
IU--to numerus to count
UCLA---See IU.

Quite frankly, KU has seemingly never nade a bad hire. Not in my lifetime anyways.

Why would Duke hire someone else? I meanhe went to like 5 straight FF's,wonback to back Natty's---Why da fuq would you look to hire someone else? Of course the dude is gonna coach there for 100 years...Same with Rupp---- Why would have UK hired someone else during the Rupp era? Why would have IU hired someone else during the Knight era?

Ted Owens might not have been a bad hire, but they kept him too long. Bastard would do just enough to keep his job. 3 mediocre years in a row and then a final four run or something.

Funny thing is, Naismith has the worst record of any KU coach.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
It's the grass, it's a lot better now than it was back in the 60's and 70's when I grew up. So I am told. 😉

LMAO

Was K not on the sideline? I'm struggling to understand the comparison.

But yeah, since we're removing blame from K because of a freaking missed FT, we can definitely remove the title game vs Syracuse when KU missed 18 FTs. And the loss to Stanford when they were missing one of the most talented players of all time. Both tourney losses without Azubuike. Bucknell because Langford wasn't healthy. Michigan due to missed FTs and a 10 second call. Etc.

Duke had a generational talent surrounded by TWO MORE lottery picks, plus two more top 15 players and two other top 30ish players. WTF more do you want? They beat a good Kentucky team by like 40, and you're saying they weren't good enough. Hilarious. Who's fault is it that they peaked in the first game of the season, btw? Not a good look for the coach when your team gets worse throughout the year.

That KU team was unranked to start the year and no one from the roster was drafted after the season. It was an accomplishment to get them to a 4 seed. Comparing the expectations of the two is absolutely hilarious.

K also lost to Lehigh and Mercer. Both worse than any tourney loss in KU history.

Dude had all the talent in the world every damn year and still failed to play to seed a majority of the time.
Bucknell anyone?? Buehler, Buehler

Sure most of Duke's success is because of one guy but Duke actually went to 4 Final 4s and 2 title games in the 1960s and 1970s. They won 10 regular season ACC titles and 10 ACC Tournament championships before Coach K became the head coach.

I'd liken Duke pre K to what Gonzaga basically is right now. Duke just couldn't capitalize on those Final 4 runs to win a Natty but they were clearly a prominent program like the Zags are now.

There's so much variance in a single elimination tournament that it seems silly to say that just because all the championships came under one coach, we should ignore the success that other head coaches had in the program.

If Few moves on in 10 years and Gonzaga never breaks through but then they randomly win a title say 20 years from now, its silly to say hey they won a title with this coach but ignore all the tremendous success that Mark Few had.

Reactions: cdbearde
I laugh at all the idiots who call the Zion year a choke job. No bench, no consistent outside shooting and two capable rebounders. Even funnier is these same people told us all year why Duke wasn't going to win the championship are the ones calling it a choke job.

Reactions: bignish
ADVERTISEMENT