ADVERTISEMENT

Who are the golfers here and how do you shoot?

I'll take a look, but I don't have high hopes for a fancy steakhouse at the resort given how awful everything else there is.

I think there's a new steakhouse in town. I'll be more likely to chance it there.
I can't remember I know there was a few bar and grills in town but it wasn't bad, expensive but decent for a resort place. If you go again try to go to sultans run in Jasper about 30min away. Its a real nice course that's pretty tough but fun. Then eat at the Schnitzelbank, a German restaurant that's pretty iconic there.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
I can't remember I know there was a few bar and grills in town but it wasn't bad, expensive but decent for a resort place. If you go again try to go to sultans run in Jasper about 30min away. Its a real nice course that's pretty tough but fun. Then eat at the Schnitzelbank, a German restaurant that's pretty iconic there.
LOVE Sultan's run. I've been to French Lick twice and played Sultan's both times. Playing it again on this trip. I've heard all about the German place and have wanted to try it, but the timing hasn't worked out. Not sure it will work out this time either as we may be playing Sultans in the morning and then rushing back to town for an afternoon tee time. I'll have to check our schedule.

Reactions: IUBtown
With what you described, ain’t no way you’re a 15 handicap. You’re not counting every stroke, scooter.

I don’t play tournament rounds, so sure, there are time when I’ll move my ball out of a ridiculous lie or take a gimme at 4 or 5ft, or place a ball instead of going through the whole procedure of taking a proper drop.

Maybe that makes me more of a 17 handicap or something. Like I said, I haven’t measured it. I count penalty strokes and duffs and don’t play mulligans (often lol).

I don’t play tournament rounds, so sure, there are time when I’ll move my ball out of a ridiculous lie or take a gimme at 4 or 5ft, or place a ball instead of going through the whole procedure of taking a proper drop.

Maybe that makes me more of a 17 handicap or something. Like I said, I haven’t measured it. I count penalty strokes and duffs and don’t play mulligans (often lol).
4 or 5 foot gimmes?! Holy shit!!

Pros only make 77% of 5 feet putts and 88% of 4 feet putts so definitely should not take any gimmes from there.

4 or 5 foot gimmes?! Holy shit!!

Not often. If that read like I’m scooping the ball up at 4ft every time, that’s not what I meant. But I have stretched 3ft out to a very generous interpretation at times.

Last edited:

I smell shit.

I smell shit.

Sesame Street Idk GIF

• Haha
Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Do you also cheat at cards? On your wife? On your taxes?
There’s no cheating in recreational sports because there’s no advantage to gain. Like I said, I’m not playing tournaments or putting money on the line. Bragging rights don’t matter.

What’s your deal?

Sometimes I’ll put my basketball hoop down to 8ft for my daughter and then I’ll shoot hoops without putting it back up to 10ft.

Should I call the FBI?

Last edited:
There’s no cheating in recreational sports because there’s no advantage to gain. Like I said, I’m not playing tournaments or putting money on the line. Bragging rights don’t matter.

What’s your deal?
3 yeses, huh?

Oh, I have zero issues with people taking whatever they want for gimmes. Take mulligans, use a foot wedge, whatever. Just play and have fun as long as no money is involved. It's just technically not a handicap eligible round. I actually want my handicap to go up tbh.

Naw you play the right way. We’re not on the PGA tour, no need to follow all their stupid rules. If the PGA has a problem with you taking a gimmie or improving a crap lie you tell then, fine, you’ll play it their way but next time you can’t find your ball you expect the PGA to send 50-100 spectators over to help you look.

Oh, I have zero issues with people taking whatever they want for gimmes. Take mulligans, use a foot wedge, whatever. Just play and have fun as long as no money is involved. It's just technically not a handicap eligible round. I actually want my handicap to go up tbh.

We’re on the same page. Handicap doesn’t matter to me, which is why I haven’t bothered to calculate it. My boss is a much better golfer than I am, so my chances of beating him straight up are very low and I’m fine with that. Beating him with a handicap wouldn’t add or detract from my enjoyment. I like to drink and look at the pretty trees when I play. Getting too competitive during rounds hurts the experience, for me.

But I guess I have to be careful about guessing my handicap wrong by a few strokes. Some people get bent out of shape.

Let me putt for you....mission accomplished.

Next time I play, when the person I’m playing with has a testy 5-footer……

Me: “Pick it up. That’s good.”

@coryfly you're a Tennessee guy... Going to Tellico on 5/14 for a 5 day golf trip. This seems extremely long to me but I've heard the golf down there is pretty good.

@coryfly you're a Tennessee guy... Going to Tellico on 5/14 for a 5 day golf trip. This seems extremely long to me but I've heard the golf down there is pretty good.

I've never golfed there. That's over close to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. There are supposedly tons of cool courses around there but I hate Pigeon Forge. It's tourist hell. I've only played a couple of courses in East Tennessee. The Honors Course and some other one in Gatlinburg.

You will be out of that crapfest though. It's far enough away where it will probably be mostly more outdoors type stuff, which is the cool part of east Tennessee. 5 days of straight golf sounds awesome. I would be sore as hell when it was over though, lol. I'm sure the courses are all nice. Have fun, sounds like a great time.

Reactions: tw3301
Golf is dumb. Went out after work Thursday to play 9 and couldn’t do anything. It was a grind to shoot 47.

Played yesterday morning on aerated greens and 20-30 mph winds and shot 83 that likely is an 80 if the greens were rolling true.

I've never golfed there. That's over close to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. There are supposedly tons of cool courses around there but I hate Pigeon Forge. It's tourist hell. I've only played a couple of courses in East Tennessee. The Honors Course and some other one in Gatlinburg.

You will be out of that crapfest though. It's far enough away where it will probably be mostly more outdoors type stuff, which is the cool part of east Tennessee. 5 days of straight golf sounds awesome. I would be sore as hell when it was over though, lol. I'm sure the courses are all nice. Have fun, sounds like a great time.
Took a golf trip to Fairfield Glade about 10-12 years ago. Opposite way from Knoxville and had some good courses..

Playing 18 today with the asshole that is likely gonna be by son-in-law one day. I’ll best him, of course, but watch the video of this tough ass course we’re gonna play & predict what I’ll shoot. At last check, I’m a 19 handicap. I’ll not be giving 4-5 foot gimmes, either!

Playing 18 today with the asshole that is likely gonna be by son-in-law one day. I’ll best him, of course, but watch the video of this tough ass course we’re gonna play & predict what I’ll shoot. At last check, I’m a 19 handicap. I’ll not be giving 4-5 foot gimmes, either!
watched the first 5 holes or so. Looks like a short, but very narrow course. Weird start with a par 3 at #1 and #3. Hope you can keep it straight off the tee or this could be a long afternoon.

watched the first 5 holes or so. Looks like a short, but very narrow course. Weird start with a par 3 at #1 and #3. Hope you can keep it straight off the tee or this could be a long afternoon.
Exactly! The front 9 is by far the easier side too. Should have watched the back 9. #18 is an all or nothing, 200-yard par 3 that is darn near an island green.

Started my 9 hole league last night. First time ever under par. Shot a smooth 35 with putting one in the water. 3 birdies and 2 bogeys. I've never been in that kind of rhythm (previous best was a 38). Felt good.

ADVERTISEMENT