ADVERTISEMENT

Which Coach needs a Title more this year?

It's been a while.

• Self

• Calipari

• Pearl

• K

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'd put Mark Few on the top of that list. He's been knocking on the door for awhile.

Few is probably the best coach without a title so that's a good shout. Shame he didn't pull it off in 2017
Few coaches in a weak league and his wins/losses are so deceptive that they actually start to make you think that the Zags are elite.

Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Reactions: pisgah101
Few coaches in a weak league and his wins/losses are so deceptive that they actually start to make you think that the Zags are elite.

They've been in 2 of the last 5 title games. He and Gonzaga are one of the top programs in the country.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
He didn’t do anything illegal. He just recorded a player and told on Illinois for cheating when he was at Iowa. Illinois fans seem to forget though they were cheating and just throw Bruce under the bus

So, he's a snitch, a snake, a hypocrite, and a crybaby? Does that sum it up?

Reactions: 1016CC0503

Do what? Past 6 seasons they have been to 4 ELite 8's, 2 FF's and twice been Runner-up. Few always plays a very strong OOC schedule----and TBH, the WCC isn't that bad. Especially of late---and certainly this year. Been to 6 straight SW 16's.....

Gonzaga would compete for titles in every single P5 conference.

THis argument gets so old....

The days of winning with freshmen are long gone.

The Zion team had the unGodly talent to pull it off, but eventually you're going to run into a veteran team that is just better at college basketball.

Cal and K are HOF coaches and while they got close to a few FF's since 2015, the team inexperience bit them in the ass.

Look at the programs that are winning titles and look at the programs that are struggling with high draft pick talent.

Especially with the transfer portal, it just isn’t going to happen.

IMO, Self has had the right combination of talent and star power the last 7 years or so, but winning titles is hard.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
He didn’t do anything illegal. He just recorded a player and told on Illinois for cheating when he was at Iowa. Illinois fans seem to forget though they were cheating and just throw Bruce under the bus
This is hilarious coming from an Auburn fan.

You might actually be the worst poster on this entire board, btw.

So congrats on that.

So congrats on that.
What did Bruce do that was illegal in that situation? Do you deny Illinois was cheating?

Is there a reason you didn’t answer my questions?
Pearl was getting his ass kicked at a program who was doing the same amount of “cheating” at the time.

And he went to multiple other schools and did worse than what he cried about.

That’s okay to you because he does enough winning. To every other fandom he looks like a baby back bitch.

Do what? Past 6 seasons they have been to 4 ELite 8's, 2 FF's and twice been Runner-up. Few always plays a very strong OOC schedule----and TBH, the WCC isn't that bad. Especially of late---and certainly this year. Been to 6 straight SW 16's.....

Gonzaga would compete for titles in every single P5 conference.

THis argument gets so old....
The WCC is bad. Compared to P5 conferences that is. But yes, they have been good. It’s just hard to gauge how good they are most years, cause they don’t play teams capable of beating them every night they take the floor. They don’t play in tough road environments. Few does try to put a tough OOC together every year, but playing a couple good teams OOC doesn’t offset their crappy conference slate. I do agree with you that they’d compete for titles most years in most P5 conferences.

I mean I have respect for them but the conference schedule does allow them to be far more fresh come tourney time than other top teams

Meh. It helps some I'm sure but it's negligible in the grand scheme of things.

So congrats on that.

Nah, plenty of worse ones in the past. Hell sheriff was even worse. At least Auburn is actually good.

Reactions: Villian07
IMO, Self has had the right combination of talent and star power the last 7 years or so, but winning titles is hard.

I don't know if I'd say that any of those teams were an ideal mix. Even 2020 relied too much on two players (but still would have had a great shot if they'd gotten one).

Self's whiffed on almost all of his top targets the last several years, even before the FBI investigation. It's left him with a number of rosters that were missing key components or didn't fit well together. Exhibit A was last year. This year is a better version of last year but with some of the same issues. Especially with Martin out.

2017 had an awesome backcourt, but very little in the frontcourt after Azubuike went down. 2019 was a pretty potent mix at the start, but fell about 10 notches after losing Azubuike and Vick. 2016 and 2018 had a pretty solid mix, but both ran into dominant Nova teams that were on fire.

Pearl was getting his ass kicked at a program who was doing the same amount of “cheating” at the time.

And he went to multiple other schools and did worse than what he cried about.

That’s okay to you because he does enough winning. To every other fandom he looks like a baby back bitch.
So Illinois was cheating? Thanks for confirming

O
So, hold on...

You've said many times that you believe that every decent program is cheating, including his current program, yet you support his snitching?
i didn’t say I support anything. I just laugh at Illinois people that seem to forget they were in fact cheating though

Last edited:
I’m so confused. What did Bruce do back then that was against NCAA rules?
While a peon coach at iowa he taped a conversation without a recruit’s consent/knowledge, doctored the recording and a ran like a little b*tch to turn it in to the NCAA claiming Illinois was offering autos as incentives.
The recruit, now Illinois radio color analyst Deon Thomas, always claimed he was just trying to get Pearl off the phone because his final two were Arizona and Illinois….had no intention of going to Iowa but Pearl couldn’t accept it and tried to ruin the kid.

As a coach, sure.

But if one guy rarely gets the players he wants and the next guy gets almost every player he wants...who should you expect more from?
Yea Dudes like Embiid and Wiggins, nobody could win with dudes like that.

Are his wins in the NCAA Tournament also deceptive? Since 2015, Gonzaga has won more games in the tournament than any other school. It's been 8 years since they've missed the Sweet 16. Only school to make the Final Four twice in the last 4 tournaments. Time to take them more seriously.

Tournament Wins Since 2015
Gonzaga- 20
Villanova- 17
UNC- 16
Duke- 15
Kansas- 13
Kentucky- 13
Michigan- 12
Oregon- 12
Virginia- 11
Wisconsin- 10
Michigan State- 10

Are his wins in the NCAA Tournament also deceptive? Since 2015, Gonzaga has won more games in the tournament than any other school. It's been 8 years since they've missed the Sweet 16. Only school to make the Final Four twice in the last 4 tournaments. Time to take them more seriously.

Tournament Wins Since 2015
Gonzaga- 20
Villanova- 17
UNC- 16
Duke- 15
Kansas- 13
Kentucky- 13
Michigan- 12
Oregon- 12
Virginia- 11
Wisconsin- 10
Michigan State- 10
TBH though, they've been getting extremely high seeds, so they should win more games.

The issue I have is how they're getting those 1 seeds. If UK's toughest competition was BYU and Saint Mary's, they would run the table, same with duke, same with KU, same with Purdue.

In 2016, they did get an 11 seed, but all they had to do was beat Seton Hall and Utah, hefore losing to 10 seeded Syracuse.

In 2017, they got a 1 seed, hardest team they played was 4th seeded Wva and they won by 3, they played 11 seed Xavier to get to the FF, where they beat 7th seeded South Carolina.

2018, they got a 4 seed, beat UNC Greensboro by 4, Ohio state by 6, then lost to 9 seeded FSU. Upset again.

2019, got a 1 seed, they beat 16 Fairleigh Dickinson, 9 Baylor and 4 Florida State, but lost to 3 seed Texas Tech. Another upset.

2021, got another 1 seed, deservedly so, but they entered the tournament undefeated, which would not have happened if they were in a legit conference where their opponents aren't high school kids. But still, they beat Norfolk State, Oklahoma, Creighton and 6 seeded USC to get to the FF, where 11th seeded UCLA took them to OT, then Baylor knocked them silly.

So, to answer your question (are their tournament wins deceptive?), yes, I believe they are. Heck, UK gets made fun of for playing in a football conference, we didn't have to beat anybody to get all those high seeds, but apparently it's okay when it comes to Gonzaga.

When you consistently get high seeds, you're going to have more wins. This 2022 Gonzaga team, would have 5 + losses in a power 5 conference, depending on which conference they would be in. The metrics love them, but when you're playing high school kids, the metrics can't account for that, or the lack of tough road environments. There's a big difference playing a road game at Saint Mary's, compared to at Auburn, or at Tennessee, or at Indiana, or at Michigan state, or at Duke etc… you can only make so much noise in a 3500 seat arena.

O

i didn’t say I support anything. I just laugh at Illinois people that seem to forget they were in fact cheating though

It's kinda goofy that they're still enraged about it to this day, but you'd have the exact same view if you were an Illinois fan.

That was nine seasons ago. I didn't say he never gets those guys. I said rarely.

Embiid was also out for a bunch of games, including the tourney.

Reactions: RipThru
It's kinda goofy that they're still enraged about it to this day, but you'd have the exact same view if you were an Illinois fan.
I would only be pissed because we let an assistant on a another staff get us in trouble. Pearl was playing for keeps. I like my coach willing to do whatever it takes to win

I don't know if I'd say that any of those teams were an ideal mix. Even 2020 relied too much on two players (but still would have had a great shot if they'd gotten one).

Self's whiffed on almost all of his top targets the last several years, even before the FBI investigation. It's left him with a number of rosters that were missing key components or didn't fit well together. Exhibit A was last year. This year is a better version of last year but with some of the same issues. Especially with Martin out.

2017 had an awesome backcourt, but very little in the frontcourt after Azubuike went down. 2019 was a pretty potent mix at the start, but fell about 10 notches after losing Azubuike and Vick. 2016 and 2018 had a pretty solid mix, but both ran into dominant Nova teams that were on fire.
Nah, 2020 was our most dominant team since 2008. I’d say we were head and shoulders better than everybody else. We never lost a game after self gave up his dream of playing DMac and Dok together. The closest team to us was Baylor and we had just beaten them in Waco in a game we controlled from the tip. Everybody was hitting their stride to end the year.

Wiggins was a great player, but he wasn’t a good shooter. Embiid was the star of that team and he was just coming into his own to end the year. KU started off poorly that year but was playing good to end the year because of Embiid’s development. We could have been one of those lower seeded teams that surprise people because we were playing so well at the end.

But Embiid had his back issue to end the season and couldn’t play the tourney. KU was seeded way too high without Embiid. Wiggins again is a great athlete but teams played him by taking away driving lanes and forcing him into being a jump shooter, which he is not. We were very one dimensional after Embiid went down.

Reactions: RipThru
Nah, 2020 was our most dominant team since 2008. I’d say we were head and shoulders better than everybody else. We never lost a game after self gave up his dream of playing DMac and Dok together. The closest team to us was Baylor and we had just beaten them in Waco in a game we controlled from the tip. Everybody was hitting their stride to end the year.
Yeah, but it's relative. The field wasn't nearly as strong as some years past. They wouldn't have been a big favorite in '08, '10, '15, '18, etc etc.

It was a good team and I think they were built well for the tourney (tons of high percentage baskets and great defense), but I still wouldn't call it the ideal roster. The ideal roster would have more shooters and a more reliable third scoring option.

ADVERTISEMENT