ADVERTISEMENT

What's with the crowd at the CBS Sports Classic?

Anxious to watch the UK game. Want to see Kris Wilkes. Indiana's Mr.Basketball last year. Sure could've used that dude.

We went last year in Vegas and it was the same story. Early game, UCLA/OSU almost had more UK fans than the two teams playing combined.

UNC fans started filing in toward the end of the first game. There were quite a few late arrivals from the Big Blue contingent as well.

I honestly don't think UCLA or OSU fans travel well enough in hoops for this to continue.

If State got swapped for Indiana and/or Arizona for the Bruins I think it would get a real bump in interest.

We went last year in Vegas and it was the same story. Early game, UCLA/OSU almost had more UK fans than the two teams playing combined.

UNC fans started filing in toward the end of the first game. There were quite a few late arrivals from the Big Blue contingent as well.

I honestly don't think UCLA or OSU fans travel well enough in hoops for this to continue.

If State got swapped for Indiana and/or Arizona for the Bruins I think it would get a real bump in interest.
This. UCLA doesn't travel well at all. Hell they barely get folks for their home games..

OSU isn't bad, but this isn't football.

Obviously IU would bring a strong contingent. Not sure with Arizona.

I had a hard time trying to figure out a West coast team with cachet for hoops and a large national following.

With ACC, SEC, and B1G already represented, there isn't much left to choose from. Kansas is the B12 and they're already in the Champion's with UK.

Maybe float out a hook to Nova or Uconn?

Where are the UNC fans? I've never seen an more empty area for a CBS sports classic.

This. UCLA doesn't travel well at all. Hell they barely get folks for their home games..

OSU isn't bad, but this isn't football.

Obviously IU would bring a strong contingent. Not sure with Arizona.

You would think the UCLA fans would travel to Vegas. It’s about 4 hour drive and a good excuse to get some gambling in.

Why didn’t y’all recruit CJ Walker?
Tom Crean. Really all that is needed to know. I loved CJ. Worked some of his games. But Crean felt Josh Newkirk was the answer.

Yeah.

Edit: Pretty sure you asked me about this kid last year-----correct?

Tom Crean. Really all that is needed to know. I loved CJ. Worked some of his games. But Crean felt Josh Newkirk was the answer.

Yeah.

Edit: Pretty sure you asked me about this kid last year-----correct?

I did. I remember you saying he was a good kid and good get. I was just curious as to whether Indiana looked at him.

Last edited:
I did. I remember you saying he was a good kid and good get. I was just curious as to weather Indiana looked at him.
Not really. Just stupid on Crean's part. He will be a very good player for you guys. He would help this IU team tremendously.

I was watching the OSU/UNC game for awhile.

I had more people at my wedding.

Not really. Just stupid on Crean's part. He will be a very good player for you guys. He would help this IU team tremendously.

Gotcha. Man, guess y’all are glad he’s gone.

I freaking love CJ. He’s already had several games where he just took over. He’s got that “dog in him” if you know what I mean. I’ve had the pleasure of speaking with him on several occasions and watching a few practices. He is a real team leader and is a big part of why our team culture is so strong. Really looking forward to having him for two more years after this one.

Gotcha. Man, guess y’all are glad he’s gone.

I freaking love CJ. He’s already had several games where he just took over. He’s got that “dog in him” if you know what I mean. I’ve had the pleasure of speaking with him on several occasions and watching a few practices. He is a real team leader and is a big part of why our team culture is so strong. Really looking forward to having him for two more years after this one.
I know exactly what you mean. I worked some of his games. He's tough. Gets after it.

Crowd was atrocious for both games. I bet tickets for Chiraq next year could be cheap. Making plans now.

Only reason we didn't do New Orleans this year was my extended family took a poo on the idea of Boubon Street for Xmas/NYE. Kicking myself now on cold, windy, snowy day in the mountain west.

college sports in pro sport(primarily football) city

Attendance is down everywhere too. Expensive tickets for mediocre teams isn't gonna fly.

Why is Ohio State in this thing? Was it put together when Oden was in school?

Good question. I'd say if it was UK/Arizona/Indiana/UNC it would be much better.

Why is Ohio State in this thing? Was it put together when Oden was in school?
:eek:

Started in 2014.

No idea, really. They do have 11 Final Fours and a Natty. So there is that. Been decent to really good under Matta as well. To me it would make more sense to have a field of UK, IU, UNC and UCLA. Every year you would have rather an IU/UNC, IU/UK or UNC/UK match-up. But who knows.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
:eek:

Started in 2014.

No idea, really. They do have 11 Final Fours and a Natty. So there is that. Been decent to really good under Matta as well. To me it would make more sense to have a field of UK, IU, UNC and UCLA. Every year you would have rather an IU/UNC, IU/UK or UNC/UK match-up. But who knows.

Michigan State is already in the Champions Classic. IU wasn't an option when this started. Ideally they would be the B10 school. Arizona should be the P12 school if there has to be one.

Michigan State is already in the Champions Classic. IU wasn't an option when this started. Ideally they would be the B10 school. Arizona should be the P12 school if there has to be one.
What makes you say this? Just curious. I'm assuming because of how down Indiana has been. If so, understandable. But regardless, IU would be a much bigger draw than OSU.

If selling tix is priority, then nor OSU or UCLA makes sense. But maybe the powers to be figured what UCLA and OSU didn't sell, UK, and or UNC would pick up. Especially UK.

What makes you say this? Just curious. I'm assuming because of how down Indiana has been. If so, understandable. But regardless, IU would be a much bigger draw than OSU.

If selling tix is priority, then nor OSU or UCLA makes sense. But maybe the powers to be figured what UCLA and OSU didn't sell, UK, and or UNC would pick up. Especially UK.

I think you misunderstood me. Not because they are down. UK and IU still had/have hard feelings from the 2011 game. This was started in 2013/2014 I believe so there was no chance of them being included that quick, though I'd argue a constantly changing neutral court series would be awesome. With this being a 3 year event you could do Louisville/Indy/Neutral site with CBS Classic.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
I think you misunderstood me. Not because they are down. UK and IU still had/have hard feelings from the 2011 game. This was started in 2013/2014 I believe so there was no chance of them being included that quick, though I'd argue a constantly changing neutral court series would be awesome. With this being a 3 year event you could do Louisville/Indy/Neutral site with CBS Classic.
Gotcha. Good point.

Next year will have UNC and UK going at it so that should help.

Apparently they don't do single game tickets either. You have to pay a higher price because it includes both games. I see the logic in a way but it is also a disastrous way to get the stands full for both games. For example, if a bunch of UK fans buy up the tickets and skip the first game then no one is there because they aren't interested in watching Luke Maye and getting their blood pressure up for no reason.

Reactions: UNC71-00
Apparently UK fans didn't care either. Showed up bette than the other fanbases, but didn't fill the arena.

Apparently they don't do single game tickets either. You have to pay a higher price because it includes both games. I see the logic in a way but it is also a disastrous way to get the stands full for both games. For example, if a bunch of UK fans buy up the tickets and skip the first game then no one is there because they aren't interested in watching Luke Maye and getting their blood pressure up for no reason.
The champions classic is the same way, no single game tickets. But the timing of the event is much better (November vs a couple days before Christmas) and you get to see 2 quality games usually with 4 great programs... Not 2 good programs, one decent program, and one dumpster fire that is a football school. I think it's a lot to ask fans to spend the money on tickets, travel, and hotels a couple days before Christmas just to see UNC play OSU and UK play a Ball-less UCLA.

Apparently UK fans didn't care either. Showed up bette than the other fanbases, but didn't fill the arena.
If someone had given me tickets and a charter air service to New Orleans, I would have turned it down because it was December 23. That is not a good date for any fan that actually has a life outside basketball.

Reactions: tw3301
ADVERTISEMENT