ADVERTISEMENT

What team do you trust?

true, but I'm more concerned when the injuries happen to players on teams that could make it past the first weekend of the tournament.
OnTM.gif

I gotta give it to you, you know right were the nads are.
*looking for another thread to post in.

Keep an eye out for Creighton. Lost 6 straight early in the year in part because Kalkbrenner was hurt. Since he returned:

• They are 14-5 with those 5 losses being 4 Q1 losses (3 on the road) and a loss at a fully healthy Nova team. Among those losses was a 2OT loss at Providence, a 3 point loss at Xavier and a 2 point loss to Marquette
  • They are #9 in AdjE according to Barttorvik since that streak
  • They won revenge games against Xavier and UConn
Additionally,
  • They've been a top 10 defensive team all year and have a rim protector in Kalkbrenner
  • They shoot the three well
  • They have solid guards with NCAA tournament experience
My guess is they'll end up about a 5 seed and I really hope they aren't in Purdue's bracket if we are the 1 (or a 6 seed in our bracket if we are a 2).
They're the team I don't want in Kansas bracket

You probably think that's comparing apples to apples, eh?

Let's see....half a season of Joel Embiid vs 3 or 4 seasons of dudes like Kareem. Seems comparable. Not to mention a much smaller tourney field that didn't include all the top teams, plus fewer tourney games.

Wooden in his coaching prime could have K's and Calipari's classes combined and still wouldn't sniff half of what he did in that era.
1995 had a shrunk field? Did tyus Edney play for John wooden? Hell NIL has basically been created because of a ucla basketball player. Basically ucla is the most important college basketball program of all time

1995 had a shrunk field? Did tyus Edney play for John wooden? Hell NIL has basically been created because of a ucla basketball player. Basically ucla is the most important college basketball program of all time

10 in the 60s and 70s. 1 in 50 years since. 0 in almost 30 years. Thanks for proving my point.

10 in the 60s and 70s. 1 in 50 years since. 0 in almost 30 years. Thanks for proving my point.
And still a better a program historically than Kansas. If what wooden was doing was so easy why wasnt anyone else also doing it?

And still a better a program historically than Kansas. If what wooden was doing was so easy why wasnt anyone else also doing it?

Did anybody else have Sam Gilbert?

I’m not one to knock Wooden as a coach. He was one of the smartest. But he wouldn’t sniff that level of success today.

Imagine getting the equivalent of the Zion/Barrett class every year, and they stay for four years. And all you have to do is win 4 games vs a watered down field.

Imagine if the tourney today only included conference winners. Half the teams everybody’s picking to go to the final four wouldn’t even be participants. No Texas, Arizona, Uconn, Baylor, Xavier, Tennessee, K-State, A&M, Iowa St, Duke, Kentucky, Creighton, Indiana, Virginia. In their place, a bunch of weak midmajors.

Comparing the eras is hilarious.

I’m not one to knock Wooden as a coach. He was one of the smartest. But he wouldn’t sniff that level of success today.

Imagine getting the equivalent of the Zion/Barrett class every year, and they stay for four years. And all you have to do is win 4 games vs a watered down field.

Imagine if the tourney today only included conference winners. Half the teams everybody’s picking to go to the final four wouldn’t even be participants. No Texas, Arizona, Uconn, Baylor, Xavier, Tennessee, K-State, A&M, Iowa St, Duke, Kentucky, Creighton, Indiana, Virginia. In their place, a bunch of weak midmajors.

Again. What stopped Kansas from having a Sam Gilbert equivalent? Kansas has had zero issues getting extra benefits for players for the last 30-40 years. Mario chalmers even talks about it in a podcast. Why did they have issues getting guys paid during that era?

We can all pick apart the top 25 right now

Houston isn't tested
Kansas isn't big
UCLA isn't a great shooting team and singleton is hurt
Purdue has freshman guards
Arizona doesn't defend
Bama starts 3 freshmen and seems to have a ton of drama going on
Baylor really doesn't guard
Gonzaga has weak guards
Kstate , Tennessee, Virginia and Uconn really doesn't have an NBA player on their roster
Texas is dealing with an iterm coach.

All top 16 teams could very well be upset before the S16.

Who do you trust the most as you head into your brackets?
Don't forget that Tennessee lost their starting point guard.

Definitely not. Purdue was playing well but can you ever trust Purdue in the post season. Ucla on the other hand is the most proven post season program of all time. Just think Kansas only has 7 titles to win to catch them
2019. Purdue had the eventual National Champion beat in the E8 but lost on a series of unfortunate events. (LMAO that's a pretty good show btw).

One reason he got those players is because of gilbert.

Last edited:
Purdue was playing well but can you ever trust Purdue in the post season.
Teams to reach the S16 or better in 4 of the last 5 tournaments:

Gonzaga
Michigan
Purdue

No one else can say that. We haven't reached a Final Four in forever, but we've also only been a top 2 seed once in the last 25 years.

i don't see how you can trust anyone.

Houston...they look great but the competition...they just don't play the grind that other teams do (see big 12). They have a very good coach, a fantastic roster and decent experience but they have not played a single big 12 level team in what 2 months?

Bama- looks to have a fantastic roster but look at their results since the miller new became public: ot win vs horrible scar; 3 pt win vs arky; ot win vs auburn; loss to tamu (the nly ranked team they played in that stretch)

Kansas- probably best coach, around 30% of points return for the Champ...won the hardest league; more quad 1 wins than anyone else, no bad losses but...can really struggle to score at times. seemingly have not figured out a way to draw up shots for GD and they are playing a 6' 5" dude at the 5 spot. Close wins...toughness or luck?

UCLA...might be without their best defender (seems likely that guy is not playing first week of tourney at least)

Purdue: mediocre down the stretch

Tenn: not the same team that they were in december and now have lost pg

Gonzaga: exposed in non conf...then beat up on inferior talent...MAYBE they worked on their needs and got better...I do kind of see final four for them this year

texas: coach scene?

Really whoever you want to throw out there has questions...marquette? I would say they are 3rd best in their conference even though they won it.

Creighton is interesting as I think they will be underseeded but not sure that equates to confidence to pick them to win it all.

Reactions: englandnu
2019. Purdue had the eventual National Champion beat in the E8 but lost on a series of unfortunate events. (LMAO that's a pretty good show btw).
Saw this stat in regard to Purdue today from a Yahoo article:

One concern is that freshman guards Fletcher Loyer and Braden Smith appear to be tiring after both playing more than 70 percent of Purdue’s available minutes this season. As The Athletic’s Brendan Quinn recently noted, no team since 2015 has made the Final Four with two freshmen carrying that heavy a load. In fact, only three total freshmen have reached the Final Four since 2015 playing that percentage of minutes.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
Again. What stopped Kansas from having a Sam Gilbert equivalent? Kansas has had zero issues getting extra benefits for players for the last 30-40 years. Mario chalmers even talks about it in a podcast. Why did they have issues getting guys paid during that era?

UCLA had the better coach at the time and a lot more talent. They were obviously better in those days. Since then....not even close.

What did Chalmers say? Got a link?

Nobody has issues getting players paid in this era. But if you're implying that KU can land whoever they want, that's hilarious. Self misses on top targets constantly. Especially since the FBI probe. The title team had like two top 100 players in their rotation. He almost never lands the truly elite guys. He mostly gets players in the 50-150 range.

You do realize that auburn lost in the final 4 to that same uva team right on a bullshit non double dribble call right?uva got huge breaks in 3 straight games in that tourney

UCLA had the better coach at the time and a lot more talent. They were obviously better in those days. Since then....not even close.

What did Chalmers say? Got a link?

Nobody has issues getting players paid in this era. But if you're implying that KU can land whoever they want, that's hilarious. Self misses on top targets constantly. Especially since the FBI probe. The title team had like two top 100 players in their rotation. He almost never lands the truly elite guys. He mostly gets players in the 50-150 range.
I will find it. Just basically talks about all the extra things he got in Lawrence based on being a star athlete. Nothing out of the ordinary that doesn’t happen on every big time programs campus the last 20-30 years

AuHoosier, the question is...if UCLA epitomizes greatness, why do they have 1/10th as many titles in the last 50 years as they had in one decade?

AuHoosier, the question is...if UCLA epitomizes greatness, why do they have 1/10th as many titles in the last 50 years as they had in one decade?
You just look at the whole body of work. They have the most titles. Not really a debate here. Kansas has had better regular season success overall sure. Buts that not what we are discussing here

You just look at the whole body of work. They have the most titles. Not really a debate here. Kansas has had better regular season success overall sure. Buts that not what we are discussing here

What isn't a debate?

So why isn't UCLA unanimously considered the greatest program of all time? Almost no one rates them #1. Usually 4th or 5th.

National Championships are all that matter

To you. Obviously not to everybody else that follows or covers the sport.

Even if that were the case, when the titles occurred obviously matters. You can't fall off the map and still expect to be treated like the king 50 years later.

I think Yale has the most CFB titles all-time. But it would seem pretty damn stupid to call them the GOAT, or "the most important program of all time," wouldn't it?

One concern is that freshman guards Fletcher Loyer and Braden Smith appear to be tiring after both playing more than 70 percent of Purdue’s available minutes this season. As The Athletic’s Brendan Quinn recently noted, no team since 2015 has made the Final Four with two freshmen carrying that heavy a load. In fact, only three total freshmen have reached the Final Four since 2015 playing that percentage of minutes.
Yep. It's why, even when we were 22-1 and #1 in the country, I cautioned Purdue fans to be careful in assuming this was the breakthrough year. Even without the 4-4 finish, it was going to be an uphill climb to reach the Final Four with a true freshman backcourt.

Yep. It's why, even when we were 22-1 and #1 in the country, I cautioned Purdue fans to be careful in assuming this was the breakthrough year. Even without the 4-4 finish, it was going to be an uphill climb to reach the Final Four with a true freshman backcourt.
if those two guys stick around 4 years Purdue will be in this conversation again sooner rather than later.

if those two guys stick around 4 years Purdue will be in this conversation again sooner rather than later.
For sure. Recruiting is picking up as well. Already have a 4 star committed next year and a 5 star the year after. Both are more athletic than every player on our current roster.

Reactions: englandnu
For sure. Recruiting is picking up as well. Already have a 4 star committed next year and a 5 star the year after. Both are more athletic than every player on our current roster.
Purdue has done a better job than anyone over the past 8 years or so of brining in guys who become good enough to be multi year All conference and even All Americans but not good enough to play in anyone's rotation in the NBA. Ivey excluded of course, but even he stuck around a lot longer than any other college player turned top 5 pick that I can remember in recent years.

I'd rather have guys like that as opposed to a string of 1 and dones.

Purdue has done a better job than anyone over the past 8 years or so of brining in guys who become good enough to be multi year All conference and even All Americans but not good enough to play in anyone's rotation in the NBA. Ivey excluded of course, but even he stuck around a lot longer than any other college player turned top 5 pick that I can remember in recent years.

I'd rather have guys like that as opposed to a string of 1 and dones.
Yep. Painter's wheelhouse have been guys ranked between 75 and 120 in the recruiting rankings. Most are good enough to be contributors by their sophomore year but not good enough to leave early.

We have had 3 guys leave early in recent years (Swanigan, Carsen Edwards and Ivey) but that's it.

The 5 star guy in 2024 is Tamika Catchings nephew and he's a likely early entry guy but we will cross that bridge when it happens.

To you. Obviously not to everybody else that follows or covers the sport.

Even if that were the case, when the titles occurred obviously matters. You can't fall off the map and still expect to be treated like the king 50 years later.

I think Yale has the most CFB titles all-time. But it would seem pretty damn stupid to call them the GOAT, or "the most important program of all time," wouldn't it?
Yale doesn’t offer athletic scholarships. Not a good comparison

Yep. Painter's wheelhouse have been guys ranked between 75 and 120 in the recruiting rankings. Most are good enough to be contributors by their sophomore year but not good enough to leave early.

We have had 3 guys leave early in recent years (Swanigan, Carsen Edwards and Ivey) but that's it.

The 5 star guy in 2024 is Tamika Catchings nephew and he's a likely early entry guy but we will cross that bridge when it happens.
and even those 3 guys who left early were in the program for more than one year.

My wife grew up with and was friends with Tamika Catchings. My wife used to dominate field day and all the track and field events at her school until the Catching sisters showed up and then it was all over for her. Is the nephew the son of Tamara or their brother? Just curious.

Reactions: boilerzz
Yale doesn’t offer athletic scholarships. Not a good comparison

And yet they still have more football “titles” than any other program. That makes them even more GOAT-like!!!

It’s not just about adding up titles. Which is why pretty much no one but you considers UCLA the GOAT.

and even those 3 guys who left early were in the program for more than one year.

My wife grew up with and was friends with Tamika Catchings. My wife used to dominate field day and all the track and field events at her school until the Catching sisters showed up and then it was all over for her. Is the nephew the son of Tamara or their brother? Just curious.

Catchings’ mom, Tauja Catchings, was a 2,000-point scorer, two-time state champion and Miss Basketball award winner during her high school career at Adlai E. Stevenson in Illinois. Tauja went on to become a first-team All-Big Ten player for the Illinois Fighting Illini where she was the first player to rack up more than 1,400 points, 700 rebounds, 300 assists and 200 steals before playing briefly in the WNBA.

Meanwhile, Kanon’s aunt, Tamika Catchings, had an even more decorated career on the hardwood. Also a star at Adlai E. Stevenson and later Duncanville High School in Texas, Tamika went on to become a national champion, All-American and Naismith College Player of the Year with the Tennessee Lady Vols.

Catchings’ mom, Tauja Catchings, was a 2,000-point scorer, two-time state champion and Miss Basketball award winner during her high school career at Adlai E. Stevenson in Illinois. Tauja went on to become a first-team All-Big Ten player for the Illinois Fighting Illini where she was the first player to rack up more than 1,400 points, 700 rebounds, 300 assists and 200 steals before playing briefly in the WNBA.

Meanwhile, Kanon’s aunt, Tamika Catchings, had an even more decorated career on the hardwood. Also a star at Adlai E. Stevenson and later Duncanville High School in Texas, Tamika went on to become a national champion, All-American and Naismith College Player of the Year with the Tennessee Lady Vols.
ah tauja, had her name mixed up with a lady named Tamara who I spoke to this morning. My wife went to Stevenson with them before Tamika transferred to Duncanville.

Stevenson also where Jalen Brunson went.

I can't disagree. Loyer hasn't been the same for about the last 8-10 games. He started out getting B10 freshman of the week several times. Just seems to have lost a step. There's some indication that he may be fighting a leg injury, which would make sense.

Smith has continued to play well. Will be interesting to see how they both perform in one and done tournaments.

Last edited:
Reactions: WeAreDePaul
You do realize that auburn lost in the final 4 to that same uva team right on a bullshit non double dribble call right?uva got huge breaks in 3 straight games in that tourney
I never said they didn't get some breaks. They did win it all though right?

ADVERTISEMENT