ADVERTISEMENT

Uconn title runs…

AuHoosier420

Gold Member
Oct 9, 2008
While impressive it does seem like when they get on these roles literally everyone else forgets how to play basketball. The 2011 and 2014 title games were two of the worst basketball games in tourney history. Expect sdsu to completely suck on Monday

While impressive it does seem like when they get on these roles literally everyone else forgets how to play basketball. The 2011 and 2014 title games were two of the worst basketball games in tourney history. Expect sdsu to completely suck on Monday
I agree. This shit is baffling. UConn was a middle of the road team in conference. This dominance came out of nowhere.

Reactions: speedfrk
It's amazing how their passes find the guy it's supposed to find and their terrible off balance shots dribble in.

This win is very impressive for UConn, They just came in and dominated Miami like nothing at all. This Miami team is no joke, they defeated top seed Houston and second seed Texas in their region.
Where was this team all year? They were a middling Bug East team.

This win is very impressive for UConn, They just came in and dominated Miami like nothing at all. This Miami team is no joke, they defeated top seed Houston and second seed Texas in their region.

Yeah

I'm damn sure not going to say that UConn isn't better than Miami, but I don't think they're as much better as it looked tonight. Miami put up 89 on an elite Houston defense, 88 on Texas, 85 on Indiana. Miami's starters shot 14-47 tonight, under 30%. A lot of that was bc of UConn's defense and especially Sanogo & Clingan's defensive presence inside. But man, Miami's players missed a lot of shots that they'd normally make. So many bunnies near the rim and didn't shoot well from 3 either when looks were there.

Iona - Nobody
St. MAry's - lol nobody
Arkansas - bad team
Gonzaga - 73rd ranked D in the country while in the WCC
Miami - 24 on kenpom with the 99th ranked D in the country

I am not impressed

Weird program.

Middling season-go on title run in tournament

Disappear for around a decade

Get hot and go on tournament run

Rinse and repeat
I would agree with that for 11 and 14, but not this year if they seal the deal. Besides that Jan stretch , those guys have been on fire…

Reactions: dukedevilz
Nice win yesterday but yes their bracket was easy. St. Mary's as a five seed?

If Uconn seals the deal Monday night , where does everybody rank them among best teams past ten years ? These guys def up there with 21 Baylor.

Bottom half....they've been dominant in the postseason against a pretty weak group of opponents. Not exactly a murderer's row. Plus, over the course of the year, they weren't even the best team in their own league. They're better than 2014 UConn at least but I'm not sure what other champs they beat in a 5-7 game series.

Reactions: shields
Bottom half....they've been dominant in the postseason against a pretty weak group of opponents. Not exactly a murderer's row. Plus, over the course of the year, they weren't even the best team in their own league. They're better than 2014 UConn at least but I'm not sure what other champs they beat in a 5-7 game series.
Eh, reminds me of KU’s non murderers row last year also , except Uconn is just crushing everyone this year unlike Kansas.

Eh, reminds me of KU’s non murderers row last year also , except Uconn is just crushing everyone this year unlike Kansas.

This is arguably the weakest field at the top in NCAA history considering not a single 1 seed made it to the Elite 8. It might be a deeper field but UConn’s toughest test by seed is Gonzaga. Meh. What former champ in the last decade are you taking this UConn team over in a best of 7 series?

Reactions: Noahtogo24
They were better than their win loss record tbh. They were top 10 in the computers most of the season. Other than january they were fairly dominant. 19 of their 25 wins were by double figures. I’m not sure what happened in january. They have injuries or something? Maybe Hurley knew he had something special and wanted to do some mid season tinkering for a potential run?

Going into the tourney they were one of the most underseeded teams based on adjusted efficiency margin alone. Teams like that are usually dangerous.

Last edited:
This is arguably the weakest field at the top in NCAA history considering not a single 1 seed made it to the Elite 8. It might be a deeper field but UConn’s toughest test by seed is Gonzaga. Meh. What former champ in the last decade are you taking this UConn team over in a best of 7 series?
To be fair , Kansas’s path last year includes :

8 seed in the finals , who they were down at 1 time by 16 points during the game.

A 10 seed in the elite eight - only won by 3 in the second round vs Creighton , who was missing two starters including Big East DPOY.

Plus, faced Villanova in the final four who just lost their second best player the previous round due to injury.

IMO, I see Uconn vs Kansas last year going seven games either way- of course all a moot point if Uconn loses tomorrow.

8 seed in the finals , who they were down at 1 time by 16 points during the game.

A 10 seed in the elite eight - only won by 3 in the second round vs Creighton , who was missing two starters including Big East DPOY.

Plus, faced Villanova in the final four who just lost their second best player the previous round due to injury.

IMO, I see Uconn vs Kansas last year going seven games either way- of course all a moot point if Uconn loses tomorrow.

Yeah, all of that is fine. Even if 2023 UConn = 2022 Kansas, that still puts them in the bottom half of champs in the last decade unless you come up with a bunch more that this UConn team beats.

Yeah, all of that is fine. Even if 2023 UConn = 2022 Kansas, that still puts them in the bottom half of champs in the last decade unless you come up with a bunch more that this UConn team beats.
Thinking Same wave length I believe - going to start a thread after Monday’s NC ranking the past ten NC winners from best to worst , in my opinion of course.

Reactions: jhmossy
They weren’t a middling Big East team? Walk me through how finishing 4th in a 10 team conference is not middling.

So just basing it on record and not what happened in those games? Sure, run with this little take. Is your team playing Monday?

So just basing it on record and not what happened in those games? Sure, run with this little take. Is your team playing Monday?
Yes. Definitely basing it on record. Lol. Holy smokes.

Per Torvik, UNC had been the top team in the country for the last month of the season. They’d won 11 of 12 and beat a really good Duke team twice, top seed Baylor, UCLA, Marquette by 30, etc. I think it’s foolish to act like they were just your typical 8 seed.

I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that Miami was underseeded either, considering a similar team went to the final four this year.

Per Torvik, UNC had been the top team in the country for the last month of the season. They’d won 11 of 12 and beat a really good Duke team twice, top seed Baylor, UCLA, Marquette by 30, etc. I think it’s foolish to act like they were just your typical 8 seed.

I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that Miami was underseeded either, considering a similar team went to the final four this year.
To be fair , if we are using computer rankings, haven’t Uconn always been top five this season , even during their Jan stretch. And UNC did return the whole team besides Manek and didn’t even make the tourney this season.

Kansas obviously deserves the title past season. However , they prob are with a Uconn as worst of the ten past champions if Uconn seals the deal.

Reactions: Deepelm
Yes. Definitely basing it on record. Lol. Holy smokes.

Of our 8 loses, 6 are to NCAA tournament teams, one an E8 team who frankly should have been playing last night instead of SDU. The loses to SJU and SH are head scratchers, though we had issues with coaches not being allowed to play because of Covid. We were ranked as high as 2 at one point and our OOC record is flawless, including Bama, who if I am not mistaken was the overall 1, and that game wasnt close. You didnt watch us at all this year, or you might know even some of this info. But by all means, carry on.

To be fair , if we are using computer rankings, haven’t Uconn always been top five this season , even during their Jan stretch. And UNC did return the whole team besides Manek and didn’t even make the tourney this season.

Kansas obviously deserves the title past season. However , they prob are with a Uconn as worst of the ten past champions if Uconn seals the deal.

Manek basically was their team down the stretch and masked a lot of problems. He carried them and shot an insane percentage.

I wasn’t knocking UConn. As far as I’m concerned, they don’t have much to prove. I have no reason to think they couldn’t/wouldn’t beat any team in the field.

I’d say they’re both better than the UConn team that won it in ‘14. Either way, “worst of the past 10 champions” is just a glass half empty way of saying “one of the top teams of the past decade.”

Manek basically was their team down the stretch and masked a lot of problems. He carried them and shot an insane percentage.

I wasn’t knocking UConn. As far as I’m concerned, they don’t have much to prove. I have no reason to think they couldn’t/wouldn’t beat any team in the field.

I’d say they’re both better than the UConn team that won it in ‘14. Either way, “worst of the past 10 champions” is just a glass half empty way of saying “one of the top teams of the past decade.”
Oh, def agree- wish MD could be on the list of worst champs past ten years !!!

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Weird program.

Middling season-go on title run in tournament

Disappear for around a decade

Get hot and go on tournament run

Rinse and repeat

lol…. had a bad stretch from 17-20. What decade would this be after winning a title?

99, then won in 04. Elite 8 in 06. FF in 09. Title in 2011. Title in 2014. Get some facts

I agree. This shit is baffling. UConn was a middle of the road team in conference. This dominance came out of nowhere.

Just dumb. Started off 14-0 with every win in double digits including a win over Alibaba. The bad stretch stretch was awful (lost 6 of 8) but outside of that, this team is 24-2.

They were better than their win loss record tbh. They were top 10 in the computers most of the season. Other than january they were fairly dominant. 19 of their 25 wins were by double figures. I’m not sure what happened in january. They have injuries or something? Maybe Hurley knew he had something special and wanted to do some mid season tinkering for a potential run?

Going into the tourney they were one of the most underseeded teams based on adjusted efficiency margin alone. Teams like that are usually dangerous.

the january stretch was a combination of factors:
- poor play obviously first and foremost
- big east was a brutal league this year
- big east scheduling - uconn had a stretch of villanova, at xavier, at providence, creighton, at marquette…..
-big east officiating- Hurley called an official a clown agaisnt villanova and the officials clearly had a massive bias against him. There were games when uconn’s foul counts were 10 less than the opponent and had 15 less foul shots. it was brutal.
- shooting: i forget the exact stat but some nerd on our homeboard did the stats and uconn shot 10% ( i think it was 10, may have been more) lower in january.
-“dorking” Jackson - teams stopped guarding andre on the perimeter which threw him off his game. Took Hurley a while to figure out how to overcome this but they eventually did by moving him to the baseline and a few other tweaks and its worked wonders

I'm wondering how this Tourney final measures up with the longest distance between schools in a college basketball championship game?
Or even in any D1 sport?

I'm wondering how this Tourney final measures up with the longest distance between schools in a college basketball championship game?
Or even in any D1 sport?

Pretty sure it’s second longest in men’s basketball history behind Dartmouth-Stanford.

Reactions: mikeinknoxville
Iona - Nobody
St. MAry's - lol nobody
Arkansas - bad team
Gonzaga - 73rd ranked D in the country while in the WCC
Miami - 24 on kenpom with the 99th ranked D in the country

I am not impressed

Hogs were bad?

Beat a solid Illinois team
Beat a solid Kansas team
Also beat that SDSU team that plays uconn Monday

ADVERTISEMENT