ADVERTISEMENT

TV/video games/movies off season thread

HBO making their shows early was brilliant. Sopranos, The Wire, How to make money in america. All good.

I've not watched a lot of Max shows so far. Are Righteous Gemstones, Succession, and White Lotus all Max shows?

Peachmaker, Curb has been around forever, Not a Max show.

Kind of funny how HBO and Cinemax competed back in the day and now it's HBO Max.

Righetous Gemstones is not Max. Neither is Succession nor White Lotus. Righetous Gemstones is hilarious. It's basically the same cast as Vice Principals plus Adam Devine from Workaholics and a dozen cameos. Succession is very entertaining. I liked White Lotus, but I don't know if it's for everyone. Not really sure what to compare White Lotus to, it's very indulgent in irony and I could see that being very annoying but the plot is pretty entertaining like a giganticThree's Company misunderstanding alongside all the self-aware irony and it does have some laughs.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Righetous Gemstones is not Max. Neither is Succession nor White Lotus. Righetous Gemstones is hilarious. It's basically the same cast as Vice Principals plus Adam Devine from Workaholics and a dozen cameos. Succession is very entertaining. I liked White Lotus, but I don't know if it's for everyone. Not really sure what to compare White Lotus to, it's very indulgent in irony and I could see that being very annoying but the plot is pretty entertaining like a giganticThree's Company misunderstanding alongside all the self-aware irony and it does have some laughs.
Lol also John Goodman is great in Righteous Gemstones. Embarrassing oversight.

Just watched episode one and really enjoyed it! Love the film style, very funny, and John C Reily (sp) was fantastic. When Jeanie Buss came on screen, I said to my wife “Oh shit, she was in playboy and I totally spanked it to her!”

John Turturro is so good.
If you haven't yet, watch Plot Against America. On a high dose edible (mine was a normal dose of lysergic diethylamide). It starts kind of slow but it really picks up in the second half of episode 2 and pretty soon it's a wild alternate history beginning in 1940. John Turturro plays a rabbi who supports Charles Lindbergh for President in 40 too keep America out of the war. The last 3-4 episodes are intense and the finale is edge-of-seat.

• Love
If you haven't yet, watch Plot Against America. On a high dose edible (mine was a normal dose of lysergic diethylamide). It starts kind of slow but it really picks up in the second half of episode 2 and pretty soon it's a wild alternate history beginning in 1940. John Turturro plays a rabbi who supports Charles Lindbergh for President in 40 too keep America out of the war. The last 3-4 episodes are intense and the finale is edge-of-seat.
Thanks, I've been looking for suggestions. All out of the acid though.

Just watched episode one and really enjoyed it! Love the film style, very funny, and John C Reily (sp) was fantastic. When Jeanie Buss came on screen, I said to my wife “Oh shit, she was in playboy and I totally spanked it to her!”
Jeannie Buss was in playboy??

• Haha
This is one of those shows for me that I can’t understand why I’m not into it more. Well done, unique style, funny, sports, interesting….

One thing is that I can’t get past all these main actors just playing themselves. They’re putting in next to zero effort.

This is off topic. Only reason why it might be somewhat related is the Winning Time is largely based off on getting actors to look like actual players from a different era.... But, I came across a pic of Carlton Fisk and couldn't help but think he looked exactly like Jake Taylor from the Major League movies.

Carlton-Fisk.jpg

rc_majorleague_ct.jpg

This is off topic. Only reason why it might be somewhat related is the Winning Time is largely based off on getting actors to look like actual players from a different era.... But, I came across a pic of Carlton Fisk and couldn't help but think he looked exactly like Jake Taylor from the Major League movies.

Carlton-Fisk.jpg

rc_majorleague_ct.jpg
Blast from the past. I think I might be the only guy who had "The Iron Fisk" poster on my wall with Jordan, Bo Jackson, Admiral, Barry, Willkins etc. Starline posters back in the day. Good stuff.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Blast from the past. I think I might be the only guy who had "The Iron Fisk" poster on my wall with Jordan, Bo Jackson, Admiral, Barry, Willkins etc. Starline posters back in the day. Good stuff.

Fisk was a stud. Didn't get to see him in his prime. But, saw him on the tail end of career with the White Sox.

In the early 90's I'd eat up any baseball game I could get my hands on. Games on cable tv were limited. Seems like there was Wednesday Night and Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN (back when there was no ESPN 2). Other than that, you had to rely on WGN for the Cubs and White Sox - and TBS for the Braves. So, naturally I saw a lot of White Sox baseball.

thankss. I was on the fence but this put me over.
You have to read a lot, it's mostly in Japanese but then for some reason everyone starts speaking more English as it goes on. First episode is really slow but it picks up. The whole girl from Fargo storyline I could do without, wish they would just stick with the Yakuza.

Jerry West demands retraction, apology over portrayal in HBO series 'Winning Time'

Former Los Angeles Lakers executive Jerry West demanded a retraction and an apology for what he called "a baseless and malicious assault" on his character in the HBO series "Winning Time," in a letter sent by his legal team to the network and producer Adam McKay on Tuesday evening, which was obtained by ESPN.

West's lawyers allege that "Winning Time falsely and cruelly portrays Mr. West as an out-of-control, intoxicated rage-aholic," which "bears no resemblance to the real man," and ask for a retraction no later than two weeks from the receipt of the letter.

"The portrayal of NBA icon and LA Lakers legend Jerry West in 'Winning Time' is fiction pretending to be fact -- a deliberately false characterization that has caused great distress to Jerry and his family," said Skip Miller, a partner at the Miller Barondess, LLP law firm in Los Angeles and attorney for West. "Contrary to the baseless portrayal in the HBO series, Jerry had nothing but love for and harmony with the Lakers organization, and in particular owner Dr. Jerry Buss, during an era in which he assembled one of the greatest teams in NBA history.

"Jerry West was an integral part of the Lakers and NBA's success. It is a travesty that HBO has knowingly demeaned him for shock value and the pursuit of ratings. As an act of common decency, HBO and the producers owe Jerry a public apology and at the very least should retract their baseless and defamatory portrayal of him."

West's lawyers say that HBO's disclaimer that the series is a "dramatization" does not insulate the network from liability.

Jerry West demands retraction, apology over portrayal in HBO series 'Winning Time'

Former Los Angeles Lakers executive Jerry West demanded a retraction and an apology for what he called "a baseless and malicious assault" on his character in the HBO series "Winning Time," in a letter sent by his legal team to the network and producer Adam McKay on Tuesday evening, which was obtained by ESPN.

West's lawyers allege that "Winning Time falsely and cruelly portrays Mr. West as an out-of-control, intoxicated rage-aholic," which "bears no resemblance to the real man," and ask for a retraction no later than two weeks from the receipt of the letter.

"The portrayal of NBA icon and LA Lakers legend Jerry West in 'Winning Time' is fiction pretending to be fact -- a deliberately false characterization that has caused great distress to Jerry and his family," said Skip Miller, a partner at the Miller Barondess, LLP law firm in Los Angeles and attorney for West. "Contrary to the baseless portrayal in the HBO series, Jerry had nothing but love for and harmony with the Lakers organization, and in particular owner Dr. Jerry Buss, during an era in which he assembled one of the greatest teams in NBA history.

"Jerry West was an integral part of the Lakers and NBA's success. It is a travesty that HBO has knowingly demeaned him for shock value and the pursuit of ratings. As an act of common decency, HBO and the producers owe Jerry a public apology and at the very least should retract their baseless and defamatory portrayal of him."

West's lawyers say that HBO's disclaimer that the series is a "dramatization" does not insulate the network from liability.
I'd be pissed too. They make him out to be an absolute buffoon.

I'd be pissed too. They make him out to be an absolute buffoon.
Am I wrong for thinking demanding a retraction and having past players vouch for his character is a bit excessive? It's a fictionalized show based on a true story and has a clearly displayed disclaimer that it's been dramatized. "based on the book Showtime: Magic, Kareem, Riley, and the Los Angeles Lakers Dynasty of the 1980s by Jeff Pearlman" doesn't mean exactly what's in there.

West is definitely being made to appear as an uptight asshole that I can understand he doesn't like. But was Paul Westhead the scared, insecure, no respect from players coach they make him appear? He won the championship the year we're currently seeing in the show. I also doubt Magic likes the scenes showing him fvcking around with women since we all know what that led to.

Asking for a retraction and getting lawyers involved seems too much IMO. Not taking Hollywood's side but also don't want to see real life people cry foul when they're not portrayed the way they want in a show/movie that's purely for dramatic/entertainment purposes.

Am I wrong for thinking demanding a retraction and having past players vouch for his character is a bit excessive? It's a fictionalized show based on a true story and has a clearly displayed disclaimer that it's been dramatized. "based on the book Showtime: Magic, Kareem, Riley, and the Los Angeles Lakers Dynasty of the 1980s by Jeff Pearlman" doesn't mean exactly what's in there.

West is definitely being made to appear as an uptight asshole that I can understand he doesn't like. But was Paul Westhead the scared, insecure, no respect from players coach they make him appear? He won the championship the year we're currently seeing in the show. I also doubt Magic likes the scenes showing him fvcking around with women since we all know what that led to.

Asking for a retraction and getting lawyers involved seems too much IMO. Not taking Hollywood's side but also don't want to see real life people cry foul when they're not portrayed the way they want in a show/movie that's purely for dramatic/entertainment purposes.
Magic was on tmz before the series came out saying he was not looking forward to it. I think they got West so incredibly wrong that it's pure fiction at this point and that's why he's upset. I agree he could have just said it was bullshit without getting lawyers involved though.

I'd be pissed if I was Westhead, too. Kareem also. But they have West cheating on his wife, if I'm not mistaken. I'd be a little perturbed. I get that it's a show, but I think they have every right to be mad and deal with it how they choose. Not my life.

Reactions: tw3301
I'd be pissed if I was Westhead, too. Kareem also. But they have West cheating on his wife, if I'm not mistaken. I'd be a little perturbed. I get that it's a show, but I think they have every right to be mad and deal with it how they choose. Not my life.
Yeah they made Westhead look like a straight up bitch.

OP if you rename this thread to TV/Movies/Video games, we could probably get to reboot a great old thread with the offseason coming up.

Maybe @Kevin Bryan will pin the nonsense and this thread for the offseason.
@TheDude1 any thoughts? Might bring in more posters with other stuff to watch/play?

If you need help renaming a thread, we can show you.

Right now some folks might be passing it up due to thinking it's just about one show.

Caught up on Better Call Saul and wow. Everyone knows the rules of no spoilers, but wow. I read prior to the season this season would be tied to BB more than ever which makes sense due to it's the last season.

I'm for sure going to watch BB in its entirety after this. I only watched it once. So I'm sure I've forgot a lot.

Looking forward to it knowing so many back stories on so many characters.

Caught up on Better Call Saul and wow. Everyone knows the rules of no spoilers, but wow. I read prior to the season this season would be tied to BB more than ever which makes sense due to it's the last season.

I'm for sure going to watch BB in its entirety after this. I only watched it once. So I'm sure I've forgot a lot.

Looking forward to it knowing so many back stories on so many characters.
Walt and Jesse are making an appearance this season which I'm excited for.

BTW played red dead redemption online for the first time since 2019 and noticed my horse is still named lurkeraspect.

• Haha
Walt and Jesse are making an appearance this season which I'm excited for.

BTW played red dead redemption online for the first time since 2019 and noticed my horse is still named lurkeraspect.
"f you and the horse you rode in on" 😂

That's awesome.

Reactions: tw3301
What games are you guys playing?

My main game is still Rocket League. It's just a great/competitive game with so many things to learn. I've also been getting into Apex here lately.

I usually just play a random game off of game pass when I feel like mixing it up. Been playing MLB The Show 22 the last week. It's pretty good.

@TheDude1 another year another 2k with me winning more often than you. Will you stop making the game so hard for your guards and make a shooting big? Why be selfish and make spacing so much harder for the rest of your team? I still get rebounds, blocks, and lobs galore.

ADVERTISEMENT