ADVERTISEMENT

Trae Young appreciation thread

Got to watch him play a couple games in the state tournament. His shooting range, body control, and passing ability is unlike any offensive player I’ve ever seen. He was like a combo of Curry, younger D Rose, and Rubio (passing ability). Granted, that was against HS competition, but he’s remained almost that impressive so far this year.

He's must see tv. Absolutely the only reason to watch OU basketball is Trae Young. By far the best guard in the country and arguably the best player. Definitely the most important to his team. He is a joy to watch. Can't wait to see what he does in Big 12 play against the likes of KU, Baylor, OSU, TCU, etc. Brilliant play today by Young.

Reactions: Mgkcbb
21 points 4 rebounds 7 assists at the half against Wichita State. That's ludicrous. There were some top players that didn't want to play with him. I really wonder why? Guy is so good and is elite at getting the ball to wide open guys.
Is this true? What's the backstory? Why wouldn't players want to play with him? Seems like he has the Nash effect on players around him making everyone better. I don't' think this OU team is .500 without Young.

Last edited:
When green committed it became a foregone conclusion he was going to Oklahoma. Plus I don't think we would of ended up with Knox. In an article on catpaw he was going to uk for a long time and things changed at the last minute. Cal had to get a sure fire committ for pg. if he would of held out for young and not got him it would be a very long season. Kid Is a stud and is the man like he wants to be. Had he gone to uk or Kansas I'm not so sure he would be putting up the numbers he is as he would have to contribute to his teammates rather than taking every shot

Is this true? What the backstory? Why wouldn't players want to play with him? Seems like he has the Nash effect on players around him making everyone better. I don't' think this OU team is .500 without Young.
I’ve heard it too. It was well known he wanted to be “the man” ASAP, and understandably so now, which doesn’t work as well at UK. There needs to be a lot of time sharing at UK, so he started to back off from his interest for UK. His mom had also made statements that UKs living facilities weren’t up to snuff compared to other schools.

Would have loved to have had him at UK, but he did what was best for his game, and I can’t blame him for that. It’s clearly paying off for him.

Is this true? What's the backstory? Why wouldn't players want to play with him? Seems like he has the Nash effect on players around him making everyone better. I don't' think this OU team is .500 without Young.

Lot of people during AAU season said this. No idea why. Maybe because he has the ball in his hands so often?

Lot of people during AAU season said this. No idea why. Maybe because he has the ball in his hands so often?

In fairness, some players(Kyrie) dont even want to play with LeBron. Sometimes, guys just dont mesh for whatever reason.

Trae Young is the only guy I’ve ever had inside information on and my insider turned out to be wrong. He was supposed to be a “Traehawk” but apparently he changed his mind the evening before he announced.

I dont think this is hyperbole at all. Its just my genuine opinion - Trae Young is the best offensive freshman I've ever seen. Even better than Durant.

He's right there with Chris Jackson. Jackson was a better shooter/scorer by just a bit, but Young is a much better playmaker.

Is 29 points and 10 assists in a road win vs a top 5 team enough or do I have to wait some more?

As awesome as Trae was (and I'm the guy driving his bandwagon) I'm still not putting him ahead of Brunson. He might put up better stats, but I've watched them both quite a bit and in my eyes Brunson is still the better player.

Either way is it safe to say that Young, Brunson, Ayton and Bagley have separated themselves from the rest of the country in terms of NPOY race? I think those 4 are a tier above everyone else so far.

Trae Young is the only guy I’ve ever had inside information on and my insider turned out to be wrong. He was supposed to be a “Traehawk” but apparently he changed his mind the evening before he announced.

I was hearing the same at the time. Everybody was predicting KU, then on the day of his announcement, rumors swirled that he'd changed his mind.

Depressing.

I can see teams being better prepared to slow down his scoring but what makes him special is that he’s also an elite passer so he will still have a major impact. Something that isn’t mention is they get Doolittle back who averaged 10ppg last year as a freshman. This is big

Well, shooting % is huge too, as Durant probably had better scorers around him. But regardless, stats don't tell the whole story. I agree that, in the 1st half today, Young looked pretty amazing. Durant looked amazing and unguardable every time out. And you'd have to think that teams will find a way to neutralize a player of Young's size to some extent, whereas Durant was virtually unguardable. If he was on, he was getting 25 or 30 and that was that.

It’s rare that I do this but I record his games and fast forward when he subs out. He is indeed must see tv. Reminds me of jr year Curry but a better passer

He's must see tv. Absolutely the only reason to watch OU basketball is Trae Young. By far the best guard in the country and arguably the best player. Definitely the most important to his team. He is a joy to watch. Can't wait to see what he does in Big 12 play against the likes of KU, Baylor, OSU, TCU, etc. Brilliant play today by Young.

Reactions: Mgkcbb

I was hearing the same at the time. Everybody was predicting KU, then on the day of his announcement, rumors swirled that he'd changed his mind.

Depressing.

That’s not what we heard. He’s very close to his younger siblings and knew he was a perfect fit in Kruger’s offense. He was a Sooner all the way.

That’s not what we heard. He’s very close to his younger siblings and knew he was a perfect fit in Kruger’s offense. He was a Sooner all the way.
I believe you. I had a friend text me out of nowhere about it a few days before he announced. Apparently others heard the same thing but it was probably just a rumor.

Oh you poor baby.

I'm a lifelong DePaul fan, you are in dire need of something called "perspective".

Hey, it's easier to have low expectations and no letdowns than high expectations and a letdown every year...

Hey, it's easier to have low expectations and no letdowns than high expectations and a letdown every year...

No Letdowns? When, over a 35 year period, you watch your team go from a perennial top 5 team nationally to a team that is lucky to win 1 conference game per year your entire life as a fan becomes a letdown.

Anytime you want to trade your team which wins its conference every year and is an annual title contender for my scenario feel free.

Reactions: SoonerNation07
My guy!

Wish that game was on tv.

Can't wait to see him Friday vs my Big10 team Northwestern.

Trae Young is running away with National PoTY. He will need to come back down to earth at some point for anyone else to have a chance.

His shooting makes observers overlook his ball handling and ball distributuion. IMO he will be the first small drafted. He is pure fun to watch.

Trae Young 6/9 from the field 25 points 10 assists AT HALF vs Northwestern.

I'm thinking KU will definitely need Preston and/or De Sousa to take the league this year.

Ok, I'm now fully ready to commit to the belief that Trae is the best player in the country. Seen enough.

I officially wish Cal would of went with Young even though it would of cost us Green and Knox

He's clearly better than Green so that's a wash, 1 for 1. Why wold it have cost you Knox?

Some recruiting gurus that I trust have said for a year now that Knox didnt want to play with Young because several high school players didnt like the reputation Young had as a ball dominant PG...

Some recruiting gurus that I trust have said for a year now that Knox didnt want to play with Young because several high school players didnt like the reputation Young had as a ball dominant PG...

Well those clowns were wrong

Got it. Hard not to be a ball dominant PG at the high school level when you have Young's ability. The ball should be in his hands a majority of the time. Clearly Young has shown he has no problem dishing it, a lot. I think a player like Knox could have benefited greatly playing with a PG of Young's caliber. Kind of like Durant leaving Westbrook to play with Steph. Looks just come easier.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT