ADVERTISEMENT

Trae Young appreciation thread

WeAreDePaul

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2017
First a little history. Been as diehard a CBB fan as anyone back in the day. Used to follow it religiously. Favorite day of the week was when my issue of Basketball Times would show up in the mail. used to know where every player in the top 100 was going to college. I was hard core. Used to play bball 6-7 days per week.

Then, in the early 2000's I had my 3rd back surgery and was told I could never play bball again. I was so depressed about it that it became painful to even watch basketball. So I stopped. Didn't follow the sport for about 10-15 years.

Then a few years ago I realized I was over the hurt of not being able to play anymore and decided to give CBB another try. Being a DePaul fan I obviously don't have a team to cheer for so I needed new teams to cheer for. Decided to pick a freshman that grabbed my eye and follow that team. First year was easy for me since Jalen Brunson is from the town next to me and went to my wife's high school. So I became a Nova fan. Also decided to follow Ben Simmons since I was always an LSU fan and he was the #1 rated frosh.

Last year I stuck with Brunson, but in December Lonzo Ball caught my eye and I became a huge fan and followed UCLA last year.

This year I was wondering who I was going to follow and then I caught Trae Young on TV a couple weeks ago. I was instantly impressed and it was no brainer that he would be my guy this year. So Oklahoma it is! Go Sooners! I'll even forgive Oklahoma for failing me out of there after one semester as a freshman back in 1988 with a 0.00 GPA. I can't really blame them since I didn't go to class from mid October on and didn't show up for finals lol. As a 47 year old attorney I can laugh at that crap now, but I was damn close to being the fry guy at McDonalds.

So anyway the tl:dr version of this is Trae Young is awesome and I'm very excited to watch him develop this year and maybe even challenge my guy Brunson for the title of best PG in the country this year.

Right behind Bagley for best Freshman this year. He's probably the most important player to his team in the country.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
Really looking forward to OU vs USC tonight! Need my Trae Young fix.

First a little history. Been as diehard a CBB fan as anyone back in the day. Used to follow it religiously. Favorite day of the week was when my issue of Basketball Times would show up in the mail. used to know where every player in the top 100 was going to college. I was hard core. Used to play bball 6-7 days per week.

Then, in the early 2000's I had my 3rd back surgery and was told I could never play bball again. I was so depressed about it that it became painful to even watch basketball. So I stopped. Didn't follow the sport for about 10-15 years.

Then a few years ago I realized I was over the hurt of not being able to play anymore and decided to give CBB another try. Being a DePaul fan I obviously don't have a team to cheer for so I needed new teams to cheer for. Decided to pick a freshman that grabbed my eye and follow that team. First year was easy for me since Jalen Brunson is from the town next to me and went to my wife's high school. So I became a Nova fan. Also decided to follow Ben Simmons since I was always an LSU fan and he was the #1 rated frosh.

Last year I stuck with Brunson, but in December Lonzo Ball caught my eye and I became a huge fan and followed UCLA last year.

This year I was wondering who I was going to follow and then I caught Trae Young on TV a couple weeks ago. I was instantly impressed and it was no brainer that he would be my guy this year. So Oklahoma it is! Go Sooners! I'll even forgive Oklahoma for failing me out of there after one semester as a freshman back in 1988 with a 0.00 GPA. I can't really blame them since I didn't go to class from mid October on and didn't show up for finals lol. As a 47 year old attorney I can laugh at that crap now, but I was damn close to being the fry guy at McDonalds.

So anyway the tl:dr version of this is Trae Young is awesome and I'm very excited to watch him develop this year and maybe even challenge my guy Brunson for the title of best PG in the country this year.

Well you're definitely not a front runner.

…… .I'll even forgive Oklahoma for failing me out of there after one semester as a freshman back in 1988 with a 0.00 GPA. I can't really blame them since I didn't go to class from mid October on and didn't show up for finals lol……
You chose the wrong school, had you gone to Chapel Hill, you would have been on the Dean's list.

Trae Young is dumptrucking USC tonight. Hes phenomenal. Curry with the shot boy.

Glad my guy didn't disappoint. Was worried that I jinxed him with this thread. He's not as fast as I thought, but damn can he do offense.

Glad my guy didn't disappoint. Was worried that I jinxed him with this thread. He's not as fast as I thought, but damn can he do offense.

He whips passes to guys from all over the court with both hands. Hes the best guard in the country

Reactions: afish111
Hes the best guard in the country
tenor.gif

Pump the brakes a little bit there, boss. Let’s wait and see what he does against other top players on high caliber teams, before we appoint him the “best guard in the country.”

No, hes pretty clearly the best guard in the country. He is Oklahomas entire offense. Their offense is just setting a high pick for him and him creating.

He's pretty awesome, but I'm not willing to put him ahead of Brunson just yet. Need to see more from him as the conference season heats up and teams start game planning for him.

He may not be the best guard in the country but he certainly has the best stats. 28.8 PPG and 8.8 APG is no joke. He’s a first team All American if the season ends today.

If he isn't the best he's in the mix. There are maybe 2 others who can make a case for best PG in the country. With that being said, if I had a choice to build a college team I'm taking Young. Over Brunson, Berry, Sexton, etc.

Reactions: Mgkcbb
First half against Wichita State isn’t even over yet and he’s got 19 points.

He’s the Naismith POY
21 points 4 rebounds 7 assists at the half against Wichita State. That's ludicrous. There were some top players that didn't want to play with him. I really wonder why? Guy is so good and is elite at getting the ball to wide open guys.

Reactions: schoonerwest
21 points and 7 assists at the half against the #3 team in the country. And his team is up by 15. And he has no turnovers. Nobody saw this coming this year.

What’s even crazier is that if he chose Kansas then Bill Self probably wouldn’t have started him. Because Bill Self.

I hope you don't actually believe that.

Name one superstar that didn't start under Self. I'm curious.

I dont think this is hyperbole at all. Its just my genuine opinion - Trae Young is the best offensive freshman I've ever seen. Even better than Durant.

Self just has a different way of coaching. Nobody is gonna be 1 month into his system and be playing like an AA.

Any stud freshman that Bill has ever recruited started early in the season if not game 1. Sure, he wants to at least fool them into thinking they've earned it and not had it handed to them. As it should be. Trae Young would be the starting PG and doing exactly what he's doing now.

I hope you don't actually believe that.

Name one superstar that didn't start under Self. I'm curious.
He goes to Kansas and there is a chance that he is the player that has to sit for a year. Seems to be the norm there now.

I dont think this is hyperbole at all. Its just my genuine opinion - Trae Young is the best offensive freshman I've ever seen. Even better than Durant.

I think it's too soon to say that. But based on this game alone, he might be able to score more easily than Durant.

There is no challenge. Trae is the best pg in the country hands down. Beating number 3 WSSU on the road soundly while dropping 28pts 10ast confirmed that

tenor.gif

Pump the brakes a little bit there, boss. Let’s wait and see what he does against other top players on high caliber teams, before we appoint him the “best guard in the country.”

Is 29 points and 10 assists in a road win vs a top 5 team enough or do I have to wait some more?

Reactions: sooner 77
Durant averaged 21.8ppg his first 6 games. Went on a three game scoring tear after that but wasn’t scoring at this clip in the beginning

I'm sure Durant had similar scoring numbers early in the season. He finished the year averaging 26 and 11 boards.

He's crushing it right now. It'll be interesting to see if he can keep it over 25 PPG in BigXII play.

If he clowns KU's backcourt this season, I'll believe.

Durant averaged 21.8ppg his first 6 games. Went on a three game scoring tear after that but wasn’t scoring at this clip in the beginning

Well, shooting % is huge too, as Durant probably had better scorers around him. But regardless, stats don't tell the whole story. I agree that, in the 1st half today, Young looked pretty amazing. Durant looked amazing and unguardable every time out. And you'd have to think that teams will find a way to neutralize a player of Young's size to some extent, whereas Durant was virtually unguardable. If he was on, he was getting 25 or 30 and that was that.

I watched. Man alive...hope Sooner fans appreciate him. Dude is a straight up beast.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT