ADVERTISEMENT

Top ten for next season

Will be interesting to see Florida’s squad once all the transferring is settled. We’ve picked up some good players. It’s weird not seeing players develop in your program.

Reactions: Villian07
Start at three posts before mine and work your way down.

That’s what I thought. Not sure why you pointed out KU. KU offered Suggs. Tried to get him but he wasn’t interested. Sucks but wasn’t gonna happen.

That’s what I thought. Not sure why you pointed out KU. KU offered Suggs. Tried to get him but he wasn’t interested. Sucks but wasn’t gonna happen.

You really can't figure out why I brought up KU?

Collins is terribly thin. 6'9" 210 Nice shooting touch, good shot blocker and is very long. His motor didn't seem to be that high, but the dude has a quick bounce like Jackson. Cal's wanting some more depth inside and at guard. Lack of both last year hurt in a few games. But look how thin Jackson is, and he could hold his own. IDK lol, interesting year coming up.

Right on, I was really just trying to figure out if he could play the 4. Collins, Jackson, and OT all can’t play 30mpg at the 5. And the 4 is log jammed too. It looks like atm you have mintz, Allen, Grady, and a roster full of 4/5s

Maybe Collins will need a year to bulk up, although kids don’t come to UK to sit the bench their freshmen year, I suppose everyone’s diff tho.

Love your takes. I know mid-majors are hard to identify, especially right now. But if there were to be a couple mid-majors make a splash who are you looking at there? Other than Zags.

Do you consider Houston a mid-major? They might lose Grimes, Jarreau, and Gorham. But, I'd still expect to see them somewhere in the preseason rankings, most likely in the top 15.

duckboy mentioned St.Bonaventure. That's a good call. They don't have any seniors on the team. They're also bringing in a transfer from Pitt. Lots of talent there. Should be ranked in the preseason top 25. I could easily see them making a run to the Sweet 16.

VCU's top 5 scorers could all potentially be back. Only real question mark might be Bones Hyland. Could see him potentially leaving school early. If he does stay put, I like their chances of being ranked.

There are rumblings that BYU might have Alex Barcello and Matt Haarms for another year. That would put them as a fringe top 25 team.

I don't suppose any of these schools would be major shockers, though, as all of them were in the NCAAs. So, maybe you'd want some surprise mid-majors that weren't even in the field? I'd put Colorado State at the top for mid-majors who didn't make the dance this year. Isaiah Stevens and Kendle Moore make for a great backcourt duo. They can beat you off the dribble with quickness, and they're great shooters. And David Roddy has a little bit of Charles Barkley in him. A very compelling team. They'd be my early favorite to win the MWC.

Memphis and Richmond should be decent. Memphis is bringing in a good class, Landers Nolley should return, and Penny should snag some a few talented players in the portal; they already got a commitment from a 21 ppg scorer in Davion Warren (Hampton). Richmond had 3 seniors starters announcing their return, and I believe Nick Sherrod, who was out for the season, should be back, as well. I would project both teams at being in the top 40.

I'm intrigued by Nevada. They should return their top two scorers in Grant Sherfield and Desmond Cambridge, who combined for 35 ppg. They also bring in two top 50 transfer recruits in Will Baker (Texas) and Addison Patterson (Oregon). Don't think it would be all that surprising if they make the NCAAs next year... SMU's Kendric Davis is a top 20 point guard, and he's talented enough to put the Mustangs in the tournament. Most of the team should be back.

Loyola Marymount's top scorer, Eli Scott, announced he was returning for a 5th year. And they're also bringing in a 19 ppg scorer from NAU, Cameron Shelton. They have a decent shot at being a top 50 team.

I know Northern Iowa had a rough year, but that mostly stems from the fact that AJ Green missed all of the season, minus 3 games. Bowen Born was the MVC ROY and Austin Phyfe was an all-conference performer. That's a solid core. They have the potential like LMU to be a top 50 team.

Buffalo and Ohio are two teams from the MAC that have promise. Buffalo was a top 80 team and should return most of their team. Ohio's Jason Preston is probably good enough to merit looks from NBA teams. If he comes back, they could have a very tough team. Only one senior in the starting lineup, and Xavier's Jason Carter will be joining the team (he originally started his career at Ohio).

Nah, Houston ain’t a mid-major. That’s like saying Cinci or Memphis are mid majors.

Right, I don't personally consider them a mid-major. Or Gonzaga. Just not sure how people definite it. Some just look at it as any team outside of a P6 conference.

Reactions: duckboy33
Memphis and Richmond should be decent. Memphis is bringing in a good class, Landers Nolley should return, and Penny should snag some a few talented players in the portal; they already got a commitment from a 21 ppg scorer in Davion Warren (Hampton). Richmond had 3 seniors starters announcing their return, and I believe Nick Sherrod, who was out for the season, should be back, as well. I would project both teams at being in the top 40.

Penny has just added Miami's Earl Timberlake. He should have a talented roster come October.

Again, though, I always feel fuzzy with teams from the AAC being labeled as mid-majors. They're not quite a P6 conference, but clearly better than the rest of the mid-major conferences.

Reactions: KisteK
Right, I don't personally consider them a mid-major. Or Gonzaga. Just not sure how people definite it. Some just look at it as any team outside of a P6 conference.

I just don’t even use P6. For hoops I use high major, mid major, low major. And it doesn’t matter what conference you’re in.

Houston, Cinci, Memphis, UCF, Wichita State, Gonzaga, BYU, etc. are all high majors.

Drake, Loyola Chicago, Richmond, St. Bonnie, Western Kentucky, etc. are all mid majors.

Jacksonville, Hartford, UMBC, UC-Davis, Hampton, etc. are all low majors.

I just don’t even use P6. For hoops I use high major, mid major, low major. And it doesn’t matter what conference you’re in.

Houston, Cinci, Memphis, UCF, Wichita State, Gonzaga, BYU, etc. are all high majors.

Drake, Loyola Chicago, Richmond, St. Bonnie, Western Kentucky, etc. are all mid majors.

Jacksonville, Hartford, UMBC, UC-Davis, Hampton, etc. are all low majors.

That seems reasonable. I know Few scoffs whenever a reporter asks him about his success as a "mid major." It does seem weird to have a conference like the AAC essentially split with half being high majors, and half being mid majors. Guess it's not really a big deal, mostly just semantics.

Do you consider Houston a mid-major? They might lose Grimes, Jarreau, and Gorham. But, I'd still expect to see them somewhere in the preseason rankings, most likely in the top 15.

duckboy mentioned St.Bonaventure. That's a good call. They don't have any seniors on the team. They're also bringing in a transfer from Pitt. Lots of talent there. Should be ranked in the preseason top 25. I could easily see them making a run to the Sweet 16.

VCU's top 5 scorers could all potentially be back. Only real question mark might be Bones Hyland. Could see him potentially leaving school early. If he does stay put, I like their chances of being ranked.

There are rumblings that BYU might have Alex Barcello and Matt Haarms for another year. That would put them as a fringe top 25 team.

I don't suppose any of these schools would be major shockers, though, as all of them were in the NCAAs. So, maybe you'd want some surprise mid-majors that weren't even in the field? I'd put Colorado State at the top for mid-majors who didn't make the dance this year. Isaiah Stevens and Kendle Moore make for a great backcourt duo. They can beat you off the dribble with quickness, and they're great shooters. And David Roddy has a little bit of Charles Barkley in him. A very compelling team. They'd be my early favorite to win the MWC.

I'm intrigued by Nevada. They should return their top two scorers in Grant Sherfield and Desmond Cambridge, who combined for 35 ppg. They also bring in two top 50 transfer recruits in Will Baker (Texas) and Addison Patterson (Oregon). Don't think it would be all that surprising if they make the NCAAs next year... SMU's Kendric Davis is a top 20 point guard, and he's talented enough to put the Mustangs in the tournament. Most of the team should be back.

Loyola Marymount's top scorer, Eli Scott, announced he was returning for a 5th year. And they're also bringing in a 19 ppg scorer from NAU, Cameron Shelton. They have a decent shot at being a top 50 team.

I know Northern Iowa had a rough year, but that mostly stems from the fact that AJ Green missed all of the season, minus 3 games. Bowen Born was the MVC ROY and Austin Phyfe was an all-conference performer. That's a solid core. They have the potential like LMU to be a top 50 team.

Buffalo and Ohio are two teams from the MAC that have promise. Buffalo was a top 80 team and should return most of their team. Ohio's Jason Preston is probably good enough to merit looks from NBA teams. If he comes back, they could have a very tough team. Only one senior in the starting lineup, and Xavier's Jason Carter will be joining the team (he originally started his career at Ohio).
MVC could be making a move back up next year. Loyola will probably hurt a little with Moser leaving, but they won't drop off the face of the earth, either.

Drake could go right back to being a legit top 25 team if they can keep guys healthy, and UNI, as you mentioned should be improved (as long as they can stay healthy as well).

Reactions: dukedevilz
Idc how good we are next year unless we figure out how to play all 5 7 footers that are currently slotted to be on the roster at the same time

That would be a sight to be hold.

I can remember Roy periodically ran a HUGE lineup in 2010. He had 6'11 John Henson at the 2, The 6'10 Wear Twins at the 3/4, and 7'0 Zeller at the 5. That wasn't a one-time shift, either. It was a rotation that you'd see for a good 4-6 minutes over the course of a month.

Reactions: WojoRising
Geeze was Marshall their pg bc he had good size too. Guess he came later

Geeze was Marshall their pg bc he had good size too. Guess he came later

Larry Drew was the starting pg. He is 6'2. Kind of seems like Marcus Ginyard ran the point (maybe Dexter Strickland) when Drew wasn't in the game. Ginyard is 6'5. Can't remember who was running the point in those situations.

The whole OaD system has me unable to remember who played with who, what year etc.

I can’t even keep up with our rival, UK, so no way I can remember who played with who for a season at duke/unc/Kansas/Zona

I think you guys do a decent job of keeping up with Kentucky. 🤣

😂 Touche Touche 😂

Must be nice to have rivals that are rarely good at anything, like Mizzou and Kstate. Nothing to keep up with.

Although I imagine they probably have a pretty nice H2H record vs Kansas in football. Which UK leads ours as well so I’m not trying to run with any “our rivals head to head football record is better than yours” smack 😂

Seriously though, sing realignment, do kansas fans feel like mizzou is still their biggest rival or on the same slate as Kstate.

Like we have Cincy and Memphis as historical rivals, but now we don’t play them every year and the rivalry has lost some of its luster.

Last edited:
😂 Touche Touche 😂

Must be nice to have rivals that are rarely good at anything, like Mizzou and Kstate. Nothing to keep up with.

Although I imagine they probably have a pretty nice H2H record vs Kansas in football. Which UK leads ours as well so I’m not trying to run with any “our rivals head to head football record is better than yours” smack 😂

Seriously though, sing realignment, do kansas fans feel like mizzou is still their biggest rival or on the same slate as Kstate.

Like we have Cincy and Memphis as historical rivals, but now we don’t play them every year and the rivalry has lost some of its luster.

I don't think KU fans even think about Missouri much these days. Can't have a rivalry if they don't play. K-State should be a better rivalry than it is. They've been garbage the last few years, but before that they had a fairly solid run for over a decade. Couple elite 8s, Big 12 co-champs a few times, in the tourney most years.

I think most KU fans consider Kentucky more of a rival than either of them, now that they're playing almost every year (twice in '12).

I think it's KU's year next year

Dave McCormack
Jalen Wilson
Umude (south dakota transfer 21 ppg)
Ochai
Tyty Washington (freshman guess)
KU’s year to do what exactly? That roster got bludgeoned by USC this year.

I think KU is a solid top 20 team, possibly top 15, but not a Final 4 threat as it stands.

Oscar T.
Damion Collins
Dontae Allen
Kellan Grady
Davion Mintz (looking very likely)
Nolan Hickman
Isaiah Jackson (unless his projections rise to lottery level)
Keion Brooks (only leaving if he gets promise of 1st round)
Jacob Toppin
Lance Ware

.....and look for the PG Carr from Minnesota to be headed to UK next.

That's what they see.
Isaiah Jackson isn’t coming back, how long have you been watching Calipari teams?
Guaranteed 1st Round picks don’t come back to college 95% of the time.

The rest of the roster looks like a top 25 squad but not anywhere close to a title contender.

Once again, Swaggy Cal has failed to land a superstar OAD.

Collins and Hickman will follow the typical path of being inconsistent and sometimes great throughout the season that most 5 stars follow.

They aren’t Wall/Boogie or Fox/Bam.

Plus the guy who was recruiting Washington is now at Texas
He extended him an offer yesterday. Hearing that Washington could stay in the PAC 12 possibly.

Two of those guys won't be on KU next year

Yeah he was wrong. Self took the lead on recruiting Washington. Jerrance Howard was the assistant helping. Texas dangerous here though as is Oklahoma State after they added the assistant from Creighton that Washington was closest with. I’d say UCLA is the leader right now for Washington. KU not likely which is a big reason why they added Yesufu.

I think KU is a solid top 20 team, possibly top 15, but not a Final 4 threat as it stands.

If we're defining a team's season by one game, why not the double digit win over the eventual champs?

Obviously both were a bit of an outlier. But it's kind of immaterial. They're bringing in 6 new guys, including a few transfers, with probably at least one more on the way. It's clearly not going to be the same team.

I can't think of many examples of a team that brought back almost their entire rotation, plus a solid class, and didn't improve a lot.

I don’t think the Kentucky is ready for Arkansas basketball to be back. It’s gonna be like the 90s all over again with Muss at the helm.

Reactions: JunkyardHawg
Mine now after flushing out more info:

1 Zags still loaded
2 UCLA (assuming Juzang stays)
3 Arkansas
4 KU - return a lot
5 Buckeyes - return a lot
6 Purdue
7 Duke
8 Baylor (they’re still loaded)
9 FSU - ton of talent
10 nova - return plenty

Mine now after flushing out more info:

1 Zags still loaded
2 UCLA (assuming Juzang stays)
3 Arkansas
4 KU - return a lot
5 Buckeyes - return a lot
6 Purdue
7 Duke
8 Baylor (they’re still loaded)
9 FSU - ton of talent
10 nova - return plenty
UM deserves to be in there. They were a 1 seed that brings back their best player, some other pieces, and has the number 1 recruiting class in the country.

UM deserves to be in there. They were a 1 seed that brings back their best player, some other pieces, and has the number 1 recruiting class in the country.

I thought about them. Felt bucks returned more. Wagner is gone. But ya UM could be in there

KU’s year was 2020. Had it all

They sucked balls 2013-2015. Played for it all in 2012. average teams for 3 years like 2021.

KU came back in2016 with Frank. Frank and Devonte teams 2016-2018 were too small in the end (nova 2016) and couldn’t match an Oregon (2017) or nova (2018) with 3’s. 2 elite 8’s and a final four. Good guards tho. 2019 before Doke hurt or 2020 was their shot to hang it. Total rebuild now.

Maybe 2022 or more likely 23.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT