ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5 teams in your teams conference next year?

How many S16's/E8's, aside from this year's? Pretty sure y'all didn't have an F4 during that span, or UVa's chokings.

One other Sweet 16. 5 NCAAT appearances. I think we are top 25 in NCAAT wins and Round of 32 appearances since 2010.

One problem for us has been horrible OOC schedules. It cost us a bid in 2004 and 2006, and arguably in 2014. Shoot, 2006 we were 9-7 in ACC. Then in 2007 we were screwed out of a bid. Toney Douglas broke his hand and missed 5 games—we lost all 5. Went like 20-7 in the games he played including a win at Duke and a win over defending (and soon to be) champ UF.

If we had as much respect from the committee then as we do now, we would have made a few more tournies. Or if they weighted the factors like they do now. That team with Toney and Al Thornton was made for a deep tourney run.

Reactions: buckymel
You do realize you are literally the only person that doesn’t have MSU in their top 5? Like literally every single other person does. Does everyone have Serious Cognitive Dissonance?

He got laughed at for calling Michigan a final 4 team last year. He’s right sometimes.

Reactions: SNU0821
Big hopes for White. If we have to rely on Woods, we’re fvcked.
Woods should be playing the Nate Britt role the rest of his time at Carolina. 15-17 minutes per game. Nothing more. Too bad Jalek got the boot, he would've surely taken over that 1 spot next year.

What are you going on about? Duke was suspect at times on D, but the tired comments about them sucking was quite obviously misguided. That's all I'm getting at. I made no mention about titles.

And I'm still not seeing UNC being on Duke's level next season.
If you watched that Duke team last year and thought they were anything but bad defensively I don't know what to tell you. So bad K adopted the zone. The zone! With the athletes Duke recruits they should never be forced to play zone. On ball was especially bad.

He got laughed at for calling Michigan a final 4 team last year. He’s right sometimes.
I’m not saying he’s wrong, but like, when was this. In my bracket I had UM in the final four. After the Big Ten tournament, they were my clear best team in the Big Ten. So I just wonder when he said that.

But this isn’t just like, I don’t agree with you. This is “ I am right and whoever thinks the other way is an idiot” when literally every single other person thinks the other way.

I’m not saying he’s wrong, but like, when was this. In my bracket I had UM in the final four. After the Big Ten tournament, they were my clear best team in the Big Ten. So I just wonder when he said that.

But this isn’t just like, I don’t agree with you. This is “ I am right and whoever thinks the other way is an idiot” when literally every single other person thinks the other way.

January

WVU is going to take a huge step back next year. Tech won't even be in the top half of the league. They just lost way too much.

We return 8 of our top 10 (unless Konate and Esa pull a surprise and stay in the draft). We have some nice players coming in too.

HUGE step back! Eyeroll

Last edited:
Reactions: KisteK
If you watched that Duke team last year and thought they were anything but bad defensively I don't know what to tell you. So bad K adopted the zone. The zone! With the athletes Duke recruits they should never be forced to play zone. On ball was especially bad.

That zone got Duke all the way to the Elite 8. Glad our coach doesn't mind making adjustments instead of being stubborn

With that squad it was a major disappointment.

Meh, I know lots of teams who would have dreamed of going to the Elite 8 with one senior and four freshmen. Elite 8 was where most predicted Duke to get to once the tournament field was set. If only we had the easy road and refs per usual....Winking

Meh, I know lots of teams who would have dreamed of going to the Elite 8 with one senior and four freshmen. Elite 8 was where most predicted Duke to get to once the tournament field was set. If only we had the easy road and refs per usual....Winking

A lot of teams aren’t Duke. You had a stacked squad and the expectations weren’t Elite 8 or bust. Had you made it to the final 4 then IMO the season would of been viewed as a good season.

A lot of teams aren’t Duke. You had a stacked squad and the expectations weren’t Elite 8 or bust. Had you made it to the final 4 then IMO the season would of been viewed as a good season.

Stacked quad yet Virginia, Villanova, Kansas and Michigan State were predicted to win it all. Duke went further than all except Kansas and Villanova. So, meh.

Now, do you consider 2012 UNC a disappointment?

Stacked quad yet Virginia, Villanova, Kansas and Michigan State were predicted to win it all. Duke went further than all except Kansas and Villanova. So, meh.

Now, do you consider 2012 UNC a disappointment?

Nope because our starting backcourt was out due to injuries.

All of that talent?

And the starting backcourt on the shelf. Like I said you guys underachieved with no injuries and with more talent. You were suppose roll thru the ACC, also preseason #1 in all the polls and going into the tournament most of the talking heads had you getting to the final 4 or winning it all.

And the starting backcourt on the shelf. Like I said you guys underachieved with no injuries and with more talent. You were suppose roll thru the ACC, also preseason #1 in all the polls and going into the tournament most of the talking heads had you getting to the final 4 or winning it all.

Didn't that 2012 team lose by 30 to FSU and didn't win the ACC?

Which talking heads had Duke going to the Final 4 or winning it all? I'll give you preseason #1, but most talking heads did not have Duke winning it all at the start of the tournament. And Duke was a 2-seed that lost to a 1-seed; 2012 UNC was a 1-seed that lost to a 2-seed. If 2012 UNC wasn't a disappointment then 2018 Duke wasn't a disappointment.

Which talking heads had Duke going to the Final 4 or winning it all? I'll give you preseason #1, but most talking heads did not have Duke winning it all at the start of the tournament. And Duke was a 2-seed that lost to a 1-seed; 2012 UNC was a 1-seed that lost to a 2-seed. If 2012 UNC wasn't a disappointment then 2018 Duke wasn't a disappointment.

No one had KU winning it. Bottom line Duke had more talent than any other team going in the tournament. Seeds didn’t matter. UNC in 2012 lost Strickland and Marshall so of course we got knocked out early. Duke was at full strength. I’m going to use injuries as the reason why we lost. You guys were at full strength. If you guys had beat KU most wouldn’t of viewed that as a upset. 6 games are very difficult to win and upsets happen and trust me, UNC has choked away their fair share of games with stacked teams but you got to admit not getting to a final 4 was a big letdown.

B1G:
Michigan
Indiana (assuming they get Romeo)
Maryland (assuming Huerter and Bruno are back)
Michigan State
Wisconsin or Purdue (assuming Happ and Edwards are back)

I think those top three will battle for the title and then those next three will be in a cluster with teams like Nebraska and Iowa in the 9-to-13 win range.

In terms of missing the FF, 2012 would have been a disappointment if Marshall wouldn't have gotten hurt during the tournament. To me, it is all about the FF and not the NC in terms of ever thinking a team is a disappointment or not. Winning the title is so tough but I think making the FF is a benchmark used to measure seasons by for really good teams. I think basically everyone had Duke going to the FF at the beginning of the season because of all the talent they had. I am pretty sure quite a few had them going at the start of the tournament as well. I think it is reasonable to expect Duke fans to be disappointed with this season a little since they didn't win either the regular season or ACCT and didn't make the FF. It doesn't mean you didn't have a fun year or anything.

For the Big XII (still fluid)
It looks like it'll be (in no particular order)

Kansas
Best Virginia
Kansas State

Then Texas Tech and either Iowa State or Baylor would be my guess.
TCU and Oklahoma State have some salt too tho.
We never know what to expect from Texas, loads of talent, very little to show..

Early Top 5 Predictions Bolded

Kansas
KSU if Wade returns
TCU
TT
BU
IMO the conference will not be anywhere as tough as this past year with only KU a really top team. OSU and OU will be so so. Shaka can't coach. BU is a first half of the season team. ISU has a good guard and a good forward with an average coach.

In terms of missing the FF, 2012 would have been a disappointment if Marshall wouldn't have gotten hurt during the tournament. To me, it is all about the FF and not the NC in terms of ever thinking a team is a disappointment or not. Winning the title is so tough but I think making the FF is a benchmark used to measure seasons by for really good teams. I think basically everyone had Duke going to the FF at the beginning of the season because of all the talent they had. I am pretty sure quite a few had them going at the start of the tournament as well. I think it is reasonable to expect Duke fans to be disappointed with this season a little since they didn't win either the regular season or ACCT and didn't make the FF. It doesn't mean you didn't have a fun year or anything.

I'm not disappointed. Hell, making a Final Four is hard and our coach has the most in college basketball history, but I'm not disappointed in the season we had considering we went further than most of our detractors.

No one had KU winning it. Bottom line Duke had more talent than any other team going in the tournament. Seeds didn’t matter. UNC in 2012 lost Strickland and Marshall so of course we got knocked out early. Duke was at full strength. I’m going to use injuries as the reason why we lost. You guys were at full strength. If you guys had beat KU most wouldn’t of viewed that as a upset. 6 games are very difficult to win and upsets happen and trust me, UNC has choked away their fair share of games with stacked teams but you got to admit not getting to a final 4 was a big letdown.

Seeds didn't matter? that's almost like saying injuries doesn't matter. Both matter.

We actually agree tho. You don't view your 2012 team as a disappointment and I don't view our 2018 as a disappointment. I'm cool with that.

It's funny to me that most of the posters in here are adding/debating their top 5 teams for their conference for NEXT season. Then we have UNC and Duke fans who are arguing about seasons from years ago...and haven't mentioned the top 5 for the ACC next year at all.

It's funny to me that most of the posters in here are adding/debating their top 5 teams for their conference for NEXT season. Then we have UNC and Duke fans who are arguing about seasons from years ago...and haven't mentioned the top 5 for the ACC next year at all.

Hell, it's usually the same each year. But based on schedule, I would say:

UNC
UVA
Duke
Va Tech
Clemson

The ACC is going to be stacked next season.

Last edited:
Hell, it's usually the same each year. But based on schedule, I would say:

UNC
UVA
Duke
Va Tech
Clemson

The ACC is going to be stacked next season.

Don't agree with "usually the same each year." Not one team has finished top 5 in each of the previous 5 seasons (Since the major expansion of 2014), and 11 different programs have finished top 5.

2014: UVA, Cuse, Duke, UNC, Pitt
2015: UVA, Duke, Notre Dame, Louisville, UNC
2016: UNC, UVA, Miami, Louisville, Notre Dame
2017: UNC, FSU, Notre Dame, Louisville, Duke
2018: UVA, Duke, Miami, Clemson, NCSU

Don't agree with "usually the same each year." Not one team has finished top 5 in each of the previous 5 seasons (Since the major expansion of 2014), and 11 different programs have finished top 5.

I think the top 5 will include all of these teams that have been in the top 5 for the last 5 seasons!

Technically UVA tied for 5th with Duke in 2017 at 11-7. But you're right based on ACCT seeding.

Just like UNC tied for 3rd this year but was seeded 6th.

Technically UVA tied for 5th with Duke in 2017 at 11-7. But you're right based on ACCT seeding.

Just like UNC tied for 3rd this year but was seeded 6th.

Yeah I was using seeding. Since there can’t be 6 teams in the top 5.

UK
Tennessee
Auburn
Vanderbilt
Mississippi State

LSU close.

Glad to see LSU getting some hype. Really fired up for next season with them. Hopefully Waters will make a nice jump next season, I think he has a chance to go down as the greatest guard in LSU history not named Pistol (assuming he stays 4 years).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT