ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10 Players of the Decade

Per the author:

Here is a look at the top players who defined the last decade in college basketball.

Zion Williamson was the most interesting player of this decade. From his dunks, social media following and unbelievable athleticism for a guy his size, he defined this decade the most.

From celebrities, pro players and even a President, ALL of Duke’s away games were sell outs except for Wake Forest IIRC. Viewership increased when he was on TV. And he missed 6 games.
That's a good point. Zion was the most hyped and flashiest player of the decade but accomplished nothing when it mattered the most. That's a perfect representation of what society trended towards in the 2010's.

Reactions: KisteK and JimboBBN
Anthony Davis: Final Four MOP
Zion: ...

Getting to the Final Four is a team accomplishment. If Zion didn't have the chance to win something, I don't think you can criticize him for not winning it.

Davis was trash in college. You are blinded by his NBA accomplishments.

Getting to the Final Four is a team accomplishment. If Zion didn't have the chance to win something, I don't think you can criticize him for not winning it.

Now I know you’re talking out of your ass. Davis was good enough to make a final four, your guy wasn’t on a “loaded team”

Pretty pathetic

Davis certainly wasn’t trash in college but Zion was better in “college”. Final four or not, the stats speak for themselves. Plus the level of completion in the ACC was a bit better than UKs schedule that year (conference wise)

Reactions: Quavarius
Now I know you’re talking out of your ass. Davis was good enough to make a final four, your guy wasn’t on a “loaded team”

Pretty pathetic

I'll be honest, I expected more vitriol.

I will see if any of your fellow UK fans can avoid letting me down like you did.

Reactions: JimboBBN
Zion what he did in college over AD in college. Nothing against Davis. A really good college player on a very balanced and loaded team.
If you want to compare coaching jobs, fine. Cal did a better job with his team than K did with his.
Not Zion’s fault that Cam and others were inconsistent.

Reactions: Quavarius
I suspected @JimboBBN wouldnt fall for it, since we've discussed Davis a lot and I've always said how much I liked him, but I thought it was worth a try in case that big Kentucky lug was really hung over and forgot or something.

Fingers crossed.
There isn't a Kentucky fan on this message board who won't defend all things UK no matter how obvious the troll is. Jimbo included.

There isn't a Kentucky fan on this message board who won't defend all things UK no matter how obvious the troll is. Jimbo included.
You’re probably right. Difference between me and a lot of other posters is I’ll get my swipe or two in and then leave it alone. Some guys just have to get the last word no matter what. A lot of the times I just don’t care enough to keep responding, especially if the troll is obvious

You’re probably right. Difference between me and a lot of other posters is I’ll get my swipe or two in and then leave it alone. Some guys just have to get the last word no matter what. A lot of the times I just don’t care enough to keep responding, especially if the troll is obvious
It can be hard not to, I get that. Auburn fans have been going hard at Kansas these past few weeks. At first I felt like participating in the fun but it’s coming from all angles and multiple posters. It’s much easier and relaxing to just sit back and watch instead of refreshing the page to notifications I have to respond to.

You guys now understand my struggle. I have trolls who literally follow me into every thread because I’ve rustled their Jim jams so hard in the past, they’re out for blood. I enjoy it though, after all I’m a radio host on weekends. I do this shit with a smile on my ****ing face.

You guys now understand my struggle. I have trolls who literally follow me into every thread because I’ve rustled their Jim jams so hard in the past, they’re out for blood. I enjoy it though, after all I’m a radio host on weekends. I do this shit with a smile on my ****ing face.
What kind of show do you do again? It's out of Richmond, CA?

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
It can be hard not to, I get that. Auburn fans have been going hard at Kansas these past few weeks. At first I felt like participating in the fun but it’s coming from all angles and multiple posters. It’s much easier and relaxing to just sit back and watch instead of refreshing the page to notifications I have to respond to.
It helps knowing that your team and program is most of the time light years ahead of whoever is calling you out

Berkeley. I do an hour music segment on fridays and two 30 minute sets that are honestly all things considered type shows. Sports, politics, religion, etc. it gets dicey, and I love it.
Got a link? You can PM me. I'd love to be a call in guest as a representative of the oil industry and West Texas for a radio show that is based in Berkeley, CA.

Any formula that results in Trae Young not being considered one of the 10 best freshman of the decade is a formula that should've been flushed down the toilet rather than posted.

Those players weren't all freshmen. It just stated that they only played one year of college basketball this decade. As it is, the top 10 included Evan Turner, Jon Scheyer, and Wesley Johnson. Trae Young was in the top 10 for freshmen, FWIW.

Fair, but I could argue he could have been if he had to be. He was surrounded by 5 other draft picks, and all of them could score well. The fact that he won MOP in the title game while scoring two points tells you how he affected the game other than scoring. Again, I love Zion, but he couldn't even lead his team to the final four, and Duke was pretty loaded as well.
Zion played with two other lottery picks in the same starting line up. I could argue Zion could have averaged much more that the 20+ he was averaging. He was also very impactful on defense as well./

Winning a title is all well and good for Davis (and he was a huge part of that) but comparing individuals based on a team performance is a tricky thing to do. Not all things are apples to apples.

With that said, my points above were just taking the opposite opinion of you jimbo. I think it is very fair to put Davis as #1.

Wait, so everyone is willing to dismiss Doug McDermott? Dude was a 3-time First Team All-American. He gets my vote. For the same reason, Tyler Hansbrough was the POY from the previous decade.

If you're going to ask who had the most impactful single season, that's a different question. The player of the decade? Let's give it to someone who was consistently great for four years.

Wait, so everyone is willing to dismiss Doug McDermott? Dude was a 3-time First Team All-American. He gets my vote. For the same reason, Tyler Hansbrough was the POY from the previous decade.

If you're going to ask who had the most impactful single season, that's a different question. The player of the decade? Let's give it to someone who was consistently great for four years.
Creighton.

Meh.

6th All-time leading scorer in NCAA history. Dude got buckets.
He was great. No doubt about that. I just don't think many people are gonna jump on board with a guy from a mid-major being the best of the decade. Top 10 for sure but people will always respect the high major players more.

Reactions: MileHighSpartan
He was great. No doubt about that. I just don't think many people are gonna jump on board with a guy from a mid-major being the best of the decade. Top 10 for sure but people will always respect the high major players more.

Of course he's a top 10 player. He was the 2014 National Player of the Year.

Of course he's a top 10 player. He was the 2014 National Player of the Year.
That was a down year according to this board. Until the Final Four of course. Then somehow threads on this board started talking about how it was a great up year for the sport. Weird how that happened.

That was a down year according to this board. Until the Final Four of course. Then somehow threads on this board started talking about how it was a great up year for the sport. Weird how that happened.

Even if that was the case that 2014 was a down year, McDermott played his senior year in the Big East. He averaged close to 27 ppg, while having a efg percentage north of 60%. And then there's the fact that he was also 1st Team All-American in 2012 and 2013.

Zion played with two other lottery picks in the same starting line up. I could argue Zion could have averaged much more that the 20+ he was averaging. He was also very impactful on defense as well./

Winning a title is all well and good for Davis (and he was a huge part of that) but comparing individuals based on a team performance is a tricky thing to do. Not all things are apples to apples.

With that said, my points above were just taking the opposite opinion of you jimbo. I think it is very fair to put Davis as #1.
Love Zion. He was so much fun to watch last season. Hoping he can stay healthy in the NBA

Reactions: denniden
If your team had to face either Zion or Young, with equal talent surrounding them, which would you choose?

Zion is the right choice for #1. Most dominant player in a long time.

I’d much rather face Zion. Threes beat twos.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
Will Zion lose the necessary weight? And how much would that need to be?

Sure....if they're made at the same clip. Not when the 3-point shooter is converting 36% to the 2-point scorer's 75%.

3 point shooter would be converting more efficiently if he had better talent around him.

Trash in college. Davis won the championship bc he changed the game on the defensive end. Zion was an excellent defender, but Davis just completely shut down the entire paint area with his defensive length. His defense was so much more dominating than any college player I’ve seen, this decade. He could win games on the defensive end without scoring a point. And Zion was no slouch on D, but he didn’t dominate games with his defense the way Davis did.

Take notes 1986 I commended a former uk player so put another tally mark on my Louisville fan card, or my nuetral fan card, or my double secret agent/spy/troll card.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT