ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10 coaching jobs in all of college basketball

Indiana is good and capable program. It simply isn’t a blue blood

Sorry but I disagree. Cal won immediately by bringing Memphis number 1 class to him to UK. I doubt it would have matter if Uk had been on a 20 year period of losing. U add 4 first round pick freshmen to any roster and they are gonna improve significantly. ESP when one is number 1 overall in wall and cousins went 5.

All bullshit aside Calipari should have had a show cause against him from Memphis.
Kentucky was lucky...

If you mean dominated from 1901-1938 then yes. Purdue had a 40-10 advantage prior to ww2.
Its funny how IU fans have to choose time periods. Whenever a Purdue fan points to recent success the response is always “Banners!” that were won 40 years ago. When arguing the all time record they talk about how some of those Purdue wins came before WW2 and for some reason don’t count.

Oh, and if you’re numbers are right, Purdue still has a winning record against IU since 1945.

Last edited:
Its funny how IU fans have to choose time periods. Whenever a Purdue fan points to recent success the response is always “Banners!” that were won 40 years ago. When arguing the all time record they talk about how some of those Purdue wins came before WW2 and for some reason don’t count.

Oh, and if you’re numbers are right, Purdue still has a winning record against IU since 1945.

You said dominated, that’s the only time frame I can find any domination. And yes If the banners are old so is Purdue’s series lead, it’s your choice how you want to look at it. Also don’t come in so defensive, it’s a negative quality.

Well you just proved my point. UCLA had success outside of Wooden. Wooden was a giant. No doubt. And unmatched.

So you dismiss one coach who was runner-up and then 2nd round out. Another who went to 3 final 4’s. Another who went to a “bunch of sweet 16’s”. And we didn’t discuss Bartow. He was riding Wooden’s coattails for sure but by normal standards was successful at UCLA . A runner-up and final 4 off the top of my head. Lately tho they have been a disaster.
I know----that was my intent. Winking I wasn't disagreeing at all....

Maybe b/c both are relevant to the discussion? Purdue leads the All-time series...No issue with that. Those wins before the invention of the wheel count as well...Winking

Purdue has been better of late...No question. More stable program. Good coach. IU has been a fukin dumpster fire since 2000. It is what it is. I get it----Purdue fans hang their hat on the All-time series----IU hangs their's on banners----National title banners that is---just to clarify.

Its a rivalry. Neither likes the other. No one is gonna give an inch---So why ****ing complain?

It’s funny because head to head Purdue has dominated IU.
And what has that gotten you historically? What, the ability to post it on a message board? Congrats. Now, go hang a banner of the all-time domination right beside your 1932 Helms Banner...Laughing

Maybe b/c both are relevant to the discussion? Purdue leads the All-time series...No issue with that. Those wins before the invention of the wheel count as well...Winking

Purdue has been better of late...No question. More stable program. Good coach. IU has been a fukin dumpster fire since 2000. It is what it is. I get it----Purdue fans hang their hat on the All-time series----IU hangs their's on banners----National title banners that is---just to clarify.

Its a rivalry. Neither likes the other. No one is gonna give an inch---So why ****ing complain?
bc IU sucks

bc IU sucks
Solid answer....... Laughing ....BTW....

5>0

I know, I know----All time series leader, blah, blah, blah....Dude Look, I don't give a shit if Purdue led the series 240-0-----No one outside of West LAffy gives a ****. Hell I doubt 5% of the peope on here even knew Purdue led the series with IU...

BUT.....Do you know they do know?

Yep....

5>0.

Like I said, go hang your all-times series leading banner right beside your 1932 Helms Banner...

Indiana is good and capable program. It simply isn’t a blue blood
Disagree...Suck ass for 20 years...certainly. But being a "blue blood" isn't a era to era thingy---Its an all-time thingy...IU has more titles than Kansas....Same as Duke. Only 3 schools have more titles than IU----UK, UNC and UCLA. IU is Top 5-10 in about every NCAA statistic...

Titles: Tied 4th(5)
NCAAT appearances---7th
NCAAT wins----8th
FInal Fours---Tied 7th(8)
All Time wins----10th...

If being a blue blood is an all-time honor, then there is zero argument...If its a time frame era, then sure---IU hasn't been a blue blood for some 20 years....So I guess with their 4 titles the past 20 years---UConn moves in? Duke as well? Drop UCLA and IU? Kansas is in because----what a bunch of reg. season wins-----Nevermond the countless choke jobs in the NCAAT? Kansas has a 107 tournament wins---but only 3 titles---How the ****?

Anyways---I'm content with IU's history...Like to see shit get better. But if it doesn't, oh well...I'll stillroot for them.

5>0

I know, I know----All time series leader, blah, blah, blah....Dude Look, I don't give a shit if Purdue led the series 240-0-----No one outside of West LAffy gives a ****. Hell I doubt 5% of the peope on here even knew Purdue led the series with IU...

Yep....

5>0.

Like I said, go hang your all-times series leading banner right beside your 1932 Helms Banner...
I literally didn’t read your response to the other, but way to not take the out. Give me a second.

And what has that gotten you historically? What, the ability to post it on a message board? Congrats. Now, go hang a banner of the all-time domination right beside your 1932 Helms Banner...Laughing
I know you can’t comprehend this, but head to head, Purdue is better than IU. That is what I’m comparing, IU vs Purdue.

But what do those banners, which were won far before I was born, have to do with anything today? Nothing. But its the only thing IU fans can talk about when it comes to Purdue. Purdue has a better all time record. Purdue has been far better but recently.

It’s pathetic to talk about dominate IU was for a time nearly half a century ago, but then tell Purdue fans that anything before that doesn’t count. All your arguments start and end with those banners. It’s all you have but it’s ancient history now.

5>0

Yep....

5>0.

IU fans are the UT football fans of college basketball. Always living in the past. But don’t worry....this is finally your year! Really this time.

IU fans are the UT football fans of college basketball. Always living in the past. But don’t worry....this is finally your year! Really this time.
As said many of times little brother---I'd rather have a past to look back at, then to have nothing to look back at....Purdue's greatest moment was a 1969 NCAA title game loss... So I guess there is that---BTW, is there even video of that game? Or do you have to look at pictures to relive such glory?

Disagree...Suck ass for 20 years...certainly. But being a "blue blood" isn't a era to era thingy---Its an all-time thingy...IU has more titles than Kansas....Same as Duke. Only 3 schools have more titles than IU----UK, UNC and UCLA. IU is Top 5-10 in about every NCAA statistic...

Titles: Tied 4th(5)
NCAAT appearances---7th
NCAAT wins----8th
FInal Fours---Tied 7th(8)
All Time wins----10th...

If being a blue blood is an all-time honor, then there is zero argument...If its a time frame era, then sure---IU hasn't been a blue blood for some 20 years....So I guess with their 4 titles the past 20 years---UConn moves in? Duke as well? Drop UCLA and IU? Kansas is in because----what a bunch of reg. season wins-----Nevermond the countless choke jobs in the NCAAT? Kansas has a 107 tournament wins---but only 3 titles---How the ****?

Anyways---I'm content with IU's history...Like to see shit get better. But if it doesn't, oh well...I'll stillroot for them.

The difference between IU and KU in nat'l titles is one basket in a controversial game almost 70 years ago. KU is way ahead in just about every other category that matters.

Being ranked in the 7-10 range in those categories doesn't mean that much (in terms of being in the blueblood discussion). There's a huge dropoff in those categories after the top 5.

Also, KU didn't have a chance to win a title this year, but it was still their 4th #1 finish. That counts for something.

I know you can’t comprehend this, but head to head, Purdue is better than IU. That is what I’m comparing, IU vs Purdue.

But what do those banners, which were won far before I was born, have to do with anything today? Nothing. But its the only thing IU fans can talk about when it comes to Purdue. Purdue has a better all time record. Purdue has been far better but recently.

It’s pathetic to talk about dominate IU was for a time nearly half a century ago, but then tell Purdue fans that anything before that doesn’t count. All your arguments start and end with those banners. It’s all you have but it’s ancient history now.
And, kudo's----Purdue leads the all-time series....Great.

IU leads in----

All-time wins period...
Final Fours
NCAAT
NCAAT wins
Elite 8's
SW 16's

And of course, National titles.

So good for you---Purdue has more wins in the series...For me, I'll take the "MORE" in every single NCAA statistic that exist, i.e. NCAAT, NCAAT wins, FF's, Elite 8's.SW 16's, etc, etc...

But hey, Purdue leads the series.....

You’re literally doing the same thing bub. How old are you?

IU leads in----

All-time wins period...
Final Fours
NCAAT
NCAAT wins
Elite 8's
SW 16's

So good for you---Purdue has more wins in the series...For me, I'll take the "MORE" in every single NCAA statistic that exist, i.e. NCAAT, NCAAT wins, FF's, Elite 8's.SW 16's, etc, etc...

IU leads in----

All-time wins period...
Final Fours
NCAAT
NCAAT wins
Elite 8's
SW 16's

Okay, well since we are talking about certain time periods, who leads all those categories in the last decade, Purdue or IU? It works both ways.

The difference between IU and KU in nat'l titles is one basket in a controversial game almost 70 years ago. KU is way ahead in just about every other category that matters.

Also, they didn't have a chance to win a title this year, but it was still their 4th #1 finish. That counts for something.

Being ranked in the 7-10 range in those categories doesn't mean that much (in terms of being in the blueblood discussion). There's a huge dropoff in those categories after the top 5.
Just have to disagree----As does about every "expert",historian when it comes to CBB. Kansas is an absolute wonderful program...No argument. Biggest onus is the # titles. ANd look if ya wanna talk about, "if's" when it comes to the # of titles---we can do that:

1. "IF"Memphis doesn't miss 99 FT's, Kansas still has just two titles....IF Chalmers shot rims----2 titles.
2. "IF" Manning doesn't go whacko in the NCAAT----Kansas doesn't beat Oklahoma--A huge upset.
3. "IF" Scott May doesn't break his arm, IU wins back to back titles----without a loss. WOuld have 6 titles.
4. "IF" Henderson doesn't hurt his knee, IU has a great chance at a title in 93.
5. "IF" Landon Turner isn;t a wreck that leaves him paralyzed---IU would have been very good in 82.
6. Randy Whitman injury in 1983...

If, if,if.......we all have them. But at the end of the day, Indiana has 5 National titles. Only 3 schools have more. IU is Top 10 in ever major statistic. Include that with 20 conference titles...Two Hall of Fame coaches, with multiple titles...20 All-Americans...

If IU isn't one of CBB's ALL-TIME royalties---then the title of such is not worth much at all.

Again, the distinction is a collection of success over your entire history---not just a time frame.

We can agree to disagree. Its ok to do so.

You’re literally doing the same thing bub. How old are you?
tenor.gif

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Okay, well since we are talking about certain time periods, who leads all those categories in the last decade, Purdue or IU? It works both ways.
Whoa now----Hold the horses. I mean didn't you just bitch about an IU poster claiming since WW2, that IU led the all-time series? But now----NOW, you wanna pick a time frame?

Golden I tell ya....Golden.

But hey since you asked....

SInce, IDK, lets say 2000....

FF's: Well this is an easy one. IU leads 1-0. I mean , ya know----1980 thing.
Elite 8's: 1-1. Tied. IU in 2002...Purdue 2019
SW 16's---Purdue 6 IU 4
NCAAT--- Purdue 13 IU 11
Big 10 titles---3-3 Tied.

So congrats,Purdue has more SW 16's and NCAAT---In a 2 decade era where IU has been absolute dog shit....An era that most every CBB pundit, fan, expert, coach, TV dude would describe IU as "average"...So congrats----during an "average" era for Indiana, Purdue has been slightly better in those area's....

Everyday I thank the Lord for many of things----But the one thing I give Him a double-high-five for---is not making me a Purdue fan. I asked the Lord once---"why Father did you not make me a Purdue fan"? He simply and softly replied---"My son, this world has enough farmers, already....SmokinSmile

Whoa now----Hold the horses. I mean didn't you just bitch about an IU poster claiming since WW2, that IU led the all-time series? But now----NOW, you wanna pick a time frame?

Golden I tell ya....Golden.

But hey since you asked....

SInce, IDK, lets say 2000....

FF's: Well this is an easy one. IU leads 1-0. I mean , ya know----1980 thing.
Elite 8's: 1-1. Tied. IU in 2002...Purdue 2019
SW 16's---Purdue 6 IU 4
NCAAT--- Purdue 13 IU 11
Big 10 titles---3-3 Tied.

So congrats,Purdue has more SW 16's and NCAAT---In a 2 decade era where IU has been absolute dog shit....An era that most every CBB pundit, fan, expert, coach, TV dude would describe IU as "average"...So congrats----during an "average" era for Indiana, Purdue has been slightly better in those area's....

Everyday I thank the Lord for many of things----But the one thing I give Him a double-high-five for---is not making me a Purdue fan. I asked the Lord once---"why Father did you not make me a Purdue fan"? He simply and softly replied---"My son, this world has enough farmers, already....SmokinSmile
You were the one who originally mentioned the Purdue wins before 1945.

My whole argument is that IU fans pick and choose which years matter when it comes to basketball success. I was using the same method against you. By the way, the “last decade” is the last ten years, not since 2000.

No one who isn’t an IU fan cares about the banners that are 40 years old. They just reinforce the fact that IU has been underachieving for years despite being a top 10 school in terms of resources.

They laughably call Purdue “little brother” despite the fact that little brother is better than big brother currently and all time.

You were the one who originally mentioned the Purdue wins before 1945.

My whole argument is that IU fans pick and choose which years matter when it comes to basketball success. I was using the same method against you. By the way, the “last decade” is the last ten years, not since 2000.

No one who isn’t an IU fan cares about the banners that are 40 years old. They just reinforce the fact that IU has been underachieving for years despite being a top 10 school in terms of resources.

They laughably call Purdue “little brother” despite the fact that little brother is better than big brother currently and all time.
True....Just like no one cares about UK's titles, but UK fans....Or Duke titles---except Duke fans. Or Kansas....Or North Craolina.....Or UCLA. So not sure what your point is. But in terms of HISTORY...Well, that is relevant. And the fact is....Purdue has zero. None...Nadda. Shit dude, Purdue has THREE ****ing FF's----total. THREE.

Agree---Indiana has underachieved---Big time. Shit happens. What has Purdue done? I mean can't say underachieved---Pretty much on par for what the program has been---good. Cannot say you have overachieved----maybe 2019. That was above par. So I guess Purdue has been---well, Purdue.

You said "last decade"---Not me. I stretched it...But sure, lets go since 2010:

FF's: 0
Elite 8: Purdue 1-0
SW 16's: Purdue 4 Indiana 3
NCAAT's: Purdue 8 Indiana 4
Big 10 titles: Purdue 3 Indiana 2

Outside of NCAAT's,its pretty much dead nuts. In an era where Indiana has been really, well, meh. Average. Stunk it up. See what I am getting at, here? Indiana's "stinking it up", is Purdue's chest thumping moment...There lies the difference in the programs---and how they are perceived. IU gets crucified for only 3 SW 16's, no FF or Elite 8's, and a couple of Big 10 titles---in 10 years. You guys cheer those results at Purdue.

Sooo, that is why....

Purdue will always be "little brother".Always. As bad as IU has been, you still rest in Indiana's shadow.

True....Just like no one cares about UK's titles, but UK fans....Or Duke titles---except Duke fans. Or Kansas....Or North Craolina.....Or UCLA. So not sure what your point is. But in terms of HISTORY...Well, that is relevant. And the fact is....Purdue has zero. None...Nadda. Shit dude, Purdue has THREE ****ing FF's----total. THREE.

Agree---Indiana has underachieved---Big time. Shit happens. What has Purdue done? I mean can't say underachieved---Pretty much on par for what the program has been---good. Cannot say you have overachieved----maybe 2019. That was above par. So I guess Purdue has been---well, Purdue.

You said "last decade"---Not me. I stretched it...But sure, lets go since 2010:

FF's: 0
Elite 8: Purdue 1-0
SW 16's: Purdue 4 Indiana 3
NCAAT's: Purdue 8 Indiana 4
Big 10 titles: Purdue 3 Indiana 2

Outside of NCAAT's,its pretty much dead nuts. In an era where Indiana has been really, well, meh. Average. Stunk it up. See what I am getting at, here? Indiana's "stinking it up", is Purdue's chest thumping moment...There lies the difference in the programs---and how they are perceived. IU gets crucified for only 3 SW 16's, no FF or Elite 8's, and a couple of Big 10 titles---in 10 years. You guys cheer those results at Purdue.

Sooo, that is why....

Purdue will always be "little brother".Always. As bad as IU has been, you still rest in Indiana's shadow.
I didn’t read your entire response, so I’ll just reiterate this point: you can’t claim to be someone’s “big brother” when you hold a losing record against them. It just sounds silly.

Sorry but I disagree. Cal won immediately by bringing Memphis number 1 class to him to UK. I doubt it would have matter if Uk had been on a 20 year period of losing. U add 4 first round pick freshmen to any roster and they are gonna improve significantly. ESP when one is number 1 overall in wall and cousins went 5.
Henry went to KU, Wall wasn't committed to Memphis (very nearly committed to Miami until Cal went to UK, who knows really but it doesn't matter), and Bledsoe was an Ole Miss commit who flipped to UK. The only players who went from Memphis to UK were Cousins and Dodson.

*Also, Daniel Orton was a Gillispie commit but your "add 4 first round picks" point remains.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I didn’t read your entire response, so I’ll just reiterate this point: you can’t claim to be someone’s “big brother” when you hold a losing record against them. It just sounds silly.
Okay......Lets see....

Purude leads in:

1.Series lead
2. Big 10 titles..

Indiana leads in:
NCAA titles
FF's
NCAA wins
NCAAT wins
NCAAT appearances
Elite 8's
SW16's
All-Americans
NPOY

So ...Purdue holds an advantage in two areas...Indiana in 7 team statistics...

Yeah, you are little brother.

We can use all-time.....era's....time frames....fragments....It doesn't change that historically, Indiana has been much better....Then you add in the fact Purdue won 42 of the first 50 meetings, 50 of the first 60, that "series lead", just isn't that impressive my friend....Yes, Purdue leads...Cannot argue that. But dude---Purdue led the series by 38 games, through the first 80 played(59-21).

In a nutshell, Purdue dominated early.....Then Indiana won 13 straight----15 of 20....Then Knight was hired---He won 7 of his first 8 vs Purdue....15 of first 20.

In other words, after falling 39 games back of Purdue----losing 41 of the first 50 meetings---Indiana has well, lead the series----and at times, been very dominant...Difference is---when IU was dominant---thehy won titles. When Purdue was dominant---Indiana was bad, average, or just ok...And Purdue went to, well, a SW 16 here and there....

Anyways---congrats on leading the series...No matter how old IU's banners are---I'll take that over a series lead all day long..

Henry went to KU, Wall wasn't committed to Memphis (very nearly committed to Miami until Cal went to UK, who knows really but it doesn't matter), and Bledsoe was an Ole Miss commit who flipped to UK. The only players who went from Memphis to UK were Cousins and Dodson.
Cousins was close to going to UAB....Pretty sure Wall was a Memphis commit as well.

Someone did. It may not have been you idk I don’t feel like going back.
Wasn't me...Doesn;t change the facts though....Purdue dominated the series early. Won like 50 of the first 60 meetings.....

Like I have said, I''l take 5 national titles, over leading a series...Everyday.

Reactions: BTV47
Cousins was close to going to UAB....Pretty sure Wall was a Memphis commit as well.
No Wall wasn't (SLAM mag broke the news Wall to UK), and Cousins decommitted from UAB and committed to Memphis.

*Calipari was hired March 31st. Wall committed May 19th.

"Highly regarded recruit John Wall gave a verbal commitment to the University of Kentucky Tuesday, ending weeks of speculation about his ultimate destination that ranged from Memphis and Miami to Kansas and Duke. "

Last edited:
No Wall wasn't (SLAM mag broke the news Wall to UK), and Cousins decommitted from UAB and committed to Memphis.

*Calipari was hired March 31st. Wall committed May 19th.

"Highly regarded recruit John Wall gave a verbal commitment to the University of Kentucky Tuesday, ending weeks of speculation about his ultimate destination that ranged from Memphis and Miami to Kansas and Duke. "
I knew Boogiehad committed or was going to commit to UAB----then committed to Memphis----then Kentucky. Thought Wall was seen as a Memphis lean,then went to UK after Cal was hired.

Side note: Derrick Rose was ready to commit to Indiana....changed his mind overnight, went to Memphis.

I knew Boogiehad committed or was going to commit to UAB----then committed to Memphis----then Kentucky. Thought Wall was seen as a Memphis lean,then went to UK after Cal was hired.

Side note: Derrick Rose was ready to commit to Indiana....changed his mind overnight, went to Memphis.
Wall did appear to lean towards Memphis, but I think it was more Calipari. However, after playing with Henry at the Nike Hoop, that could have changed. Here's an interesting story.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
People now say he was 100% going to Memphis but at the time, no one had any idea up until he committed. Wall told a story once about almost committing to UM but I'm too lazy to look it up.

He would have went to UNC but Roy thought he was a bad egg or had handlers or something like that. Turned out, obviously, he created zero problems.
I was surprised to find out how close Rose was to choosing Indiana...

When it was time for college we almost both went to Indiana. He decommitted from Illinois and I was about to go to Indiana with him. I was this close and just talking to my mom, but she was like, "Just sleep on it and tomorrow you'll wake up and know what to do." I woke up and Memphis was where I felt more comfortable.

He's talking about Eric Gordon.

They had older guys, more mature. There was focus. It seemed everybody had one goal, one mission. When I got back home, my mom told me to sleep on it. She was like, "I don't wanna know right now. Make your decision in the morning." I slept on it and I was really debating going to Indiana. I knew E.J. -- that's what we call Eric Gordon Jr. -- was going there. That was real big. I woke up and Memphis was the only thing that was on my mind and I went downstairs and told her. She was kind of surprised. But she knew I was in good hands. And we made it all the way to the championship game

I was surprised to find out how close Rose was to choosing Indiana...

When it was time for college we almost both went to Indiana. He decommitted from Illinois and I was about to go to Indiana with him. I was this close and just talking to my mom, but she was like, "Just sleep on it and tomorrow you'll wake up and know what to do." I woke up and Memphis was where I felt more comfortable.

He's talking about Eric Gordon.

They had older guys, more mature. There was focus. It seemed everybody had one goal, one mission. When I got back home, my mom told me to sleep on it. She was like, "I don't wanna know right now. Make your decision in the morning." I slept on it and I was really debating going to Indiana. I knew E.J. -- that's what we call Eric Gordon Jr. -- was going there. That was real big. I woke up and Memphis was the only thing that was on my mind and I went downstairs and told her. She was kind of surprised. But she knew I was in good hands. And we made it all the way to the championship game
IU dodged a bullet there.

ADVERTISEMENT