ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Crean and UGA

Willie Anderson

Gold Member
Jun 21, 2018
Do you guys think he will be successful at UGA? Do you think he can turn the program around? Just curious about the boards opinion on this.

There's a lot of talent in Georgia. He'll get his share. Plus surriunding states like Texas, Florida, etc, etc..His offense can be entertaining. And lethal. But his defense? Meh, close your eyes there brother. I think he'll have you guys competing in the Top 4-5 in the SEC. Pushing the enevelpoe here and there for a title(SEC). Probably get a few SW16 runs as well. But TBH, I wouldn't expect more than that. He's to inconsistent in his recruiting; all over the board with it. He chases the "diamond in the rough" type of player waaaay to often. But I think overall, he'll keep UGA competitive.

There's a lot of talent in Georgia. He'll get his share. Plus surriunding states like Texas, Florida, etc, etc..His offense can be entertaining. And lethal. But his defense? Meh, close your eyes there brother. I think he'll have you guys competing in the Top 4-5 in the SEC. Pushing the enevelpoe here and there for a title(SEC). Probably get a few SW16 runs as well. But TBH, I wouldn't expect more than that. He's to inconsistent in his recruiting; all over the board with it. He chases the "diamond in the rough" type of player waaaay to often. But I think overall, he'll keep UGA competitive.
Thanks. Just hoping he will get us in the tourney some. I appreciate your thoughts and information.

Georgia is certainly a rich recruiting area. The only downside, is you're right in the heart of ACC/SEC Country. I think Auburn has landed just as many top 100 kids from the state as Georgia has.

You're constantly competing against the likes of Auburn, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Alabama, Tennessee... not to mention the national brands which will always be there for top 50 guys. Duke got Wendell Carter, Kentucky got EJ Montgomery and Ashton Hagans, Kansas got Brannen Greene, Arizona got Kobi Simmons, UNC got Brandon Robinson, Ohio State got Shannon Scott, etc. If Crean can win a fair amount of recruiting battles in-state, his teams should be relatively successful.

Reactions: olsonab
Do you guys think he will be successful at UGA? Do you think he can turn the program around? Just curious about the boards opinion on this.

Crean has to recruit well in Georgia. There is lots of top in-state talent that often leaves the state of Georgia. Crean may be the best coached hired by Georgia since Jim Harrick who had previously won the only NCAA title at UCLA not won by John Wooden. Georgia has the potential for big things in basketball.

However, there are also a lot of very good coaches hired recently by many of these SEC football schools (i.e, Auburn, Tennessee, Alabama, etc.). So, there is much more competition in the league, too.

Crean has to recruit well in Georgia. There is lots of top in-state talent that often leaves the state of Georgia. Crean may be the best coached hired by Georgia since Jim Harrick who had previously won the only NCAA title at UCLA not won by John Wooden. Georgia has the potential for big things in basketball.

However, there are also a lot of very good coaches hired recently by many of these SEC football schools (i.e, Auburn, Tennessee, Alabama, etc.). So, there is much more competition in the league, too.

This. He's joining the SEC at the wrong time. Some pretty good coaches in that league now.

Reactions: Montana48
He will be successful for Georgia standards. Georgia would have a meltdown with that level of competitiveness in football but will be satisfied in basketball.

Just getting to the NCAA Tournament is often the major goal of SEC schools (not including Kentucky).

Georgia had a few NCAA appearances in the 2000s (most recently in 2015) but had not reached the SW16 or beyond since the 80s/90s.

This. He's joining the SEC at the wrong time. Some pretty good coaches in that league now.

Georgia tried hiring a young up and comer or a top assistant coach but stalled. Now, they are going to the veteran coach method who has done it before route. It remains to be seen.

If Crean can land some key recruits and slowly build up his teams then he might have a chance to stay at Georgia for awhile. NCAA Tourney success will also help.

Reactions: KisteK

The SEC also has Frank Martin at South Carolina who had recently gone to the Final Four;
Ben Howland at Mississippi State is recruiting well at Starkville;
Rick Barnes at Tennessee, Bruce Pearl at Auburn;
Avery Johnson at Alabama (recently had a lottery pick PG go to the NBA);
Mike White at Florida recently went to an Elite8;
and of course, Calipari, at Kentucky annually builds great teams in Lexington.

Reactions: olsonab
Mark Fox was/is a good coach. Refused to play "the game" and didnt have any recruiting ties in the South.

The SEC also has Frank Martin at South Carolina who had recently gone to the Final Four;

And Drew at Vanderbilt. I do think Crean will be fine at UGA. He's quirky but can get some underrated kids. He'll waste some scholarships on kids that don't pan out but he can get by with that at UGA.

Mark Fox was/is a good coach. Refused to play "the game" and didnt have any recruiting ties in the South.
Fox was about to land a monster class. I applaud Georgia AD for having the balls to go a different direction. Crean will be fine.

Will Wade is recruiting really well @LSU (#2 SEC ranking this year), and should have a strong team.
Then of course, Billy Kennedy, Mike Anderson, Cuonzo Martin, and Kermit Davis.

When the SEC decided to make basketball more of focus, they went out and hired all these coaches, which in turn lead to the tremendous uptick in recruiting. IIRC SEC had more 5* and top 100 recruits last season, and according to 24/7 has more 5*(9) than any other conference this upcoming season.

The SEC improved dramatically last season and IMO will do so again this season.

Reactions: rdgtr
And Drew at Vanderbilt. I do think Crean will be fine at UGA. He's quirky but can get some underrated kids. He'll waste some scholarships on kids that don't pan out but he can get by with that at UGA.

And don't forget the recruiting machine at LSU now with Wade there. The Ags and Mizzou recruit good as well.

The SEC really made an effort to change basketball the last few years and it's finally showing.

Will Wade is recruiting really well @LSU (#2 SEC ranking this year), and should have a strong team.
Then of course, Billy Kennedy, Mike Anderson, Cuonzo Martin, and Kermit Davis.

When the SEC decided to make basketball more of focus, they went out and hired all these coaches, which in turn lead to the tremendous uptick in recruiting. IIRC SEC had more 5* and top 100 recruits last season, and according to 24/7 has more 5*(9) than any other conference this upcoming season.

The SEC improved dramatically last season and IMO will do so again this season.
I'd be surprised if they were ahead of the ACC. Duke, UNC, and possibly VA may have more than the entire SEC excluding Kentucky. LOL

While I'm not convinced he'll have Georgia competing for SEC regular season titles, I wouldn't doubt he could snag a (couple?) SEC tourney titles. He'll make a few dances where anything is possible.. but consistency seems to be an issue. So, hard telling.

Best of Luck

I do think he's a decent coach, maybe just too much pressure at Indiana.

He will be successful for Georgia standards. Georgia would have a meltdown with that level of competitiveness in football but will be satisfied in basketball.
This. By UGA basketball standards he's the best they could've hoped for, which isn't saying much.

Mark Fox was a hell of a coach at Nevada. Could easily see Crean going the route of a Bill Curry.

Mark Fox was a hell of a coach at Nevada. Could easily see Crean going the route of a Bill Curry.
Speaking of Nevada, there is no way Musselman is coaching there in 2019-20. After this season he's going to land somewhere big and do some damage. My guess would be UCLA if they have the cojones to can Alford. That or he'll get another HC gig in the NBA, IMO.

Speaking of Nevada, there is no way Musselman is coaching there in 2019-20. After this season he's going to land somewhere big and do some damage. My guess would be UCLA if they have the cojones to can Alford. That or he'll get another HC gig in the NBA, IMO.

He stayed because of the roster he knew he would come back to. I literally just had lunch next to the guy today and he does love this town. If he has the success we all expect them to have this year the money will be too much.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
He stayed because of the roster he knew he would come back to. I literally just had lunch next to the guy today and he does love this town. If he has the success we all expect them to have this year the money will be too much.
Yep, that's what I mean. The squad he'll have this season will have just as good a shot at a Final Four as anyone. You live in Reno? I'm in Vegas.

Reactions: klize17
If that’s his definition of surrounding states then I guess Texas is a surrounding state of nearly every place in the lower 48.
I used TX due to the talent they produce. Hence why I didn't use Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, etc. It's why I used Florida/Texas. Didn't think it would be that hard to understand. It's not as if TX is 7 states over.

I used TX due to the talent they produce. Hence why I didn't use Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, etc. It's why I used Florida/Texas. Didn't think it would be that hard to understand. It's not as if TX is 7 states over.
Nope, only 4 states over. SmokinSmile In your defense, it does border a state that borders a state that borders a state that borders Georgia.

Haven’t looked at who UGA has returning but if he has any talent at all, I expect they will be good quick. Fox had them playing really good defense and they were very tough - 2 attributes that Crean doesn’t instill. However, those traits tend to hang around a few years and he’ll definitely get them scoring.

So in theory he should get the O going quickly and the D won’t be total dog $hit for a few years.

After that - it’s all up to how much of that state talent he can keep around.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT