ADVERTISEMENT

The Underperforming Coach of the Year

Who’s done the least with the most this year?

I’ll start the bidding with Mike White. What in the world is he having the Gators do in practice? Did they really just lose to UGA?
I actually like the defense the Gators throw at you. However, they are not very good offensively, but I'm not sure if that is not the players.

Reactions: rdgtr
I actually like the defense the Gators throw at you. However, they are not very good offensively, but I'm not sure if that is not the players.

Della, they have 9 blue chip players on their roster. They are flat out loaded, a top 10 roster in the country, and Mike White has them on the verge of missing the Dance entirely. He has plenty of offensive weapons.

Della, they have 9 blue chip players on their roster. They are flat out loaded, a top 10 roster in the country, and Mike White has them on the verge of missing the Dance entirely. He has plenty of offensive weapons.
The SEC is trying to stack the deck with coaches. Not sure White or Davis are up to it. Rich Uncle Pennybags is not going to put up with it for long.

OK GE, I'll defer to your superior knowledge of the gators on the offense, but their defense is unique and effective. They do seem kinda small too.

Archie Miller hands down! Has all kinds of talent and they play like a bad D-3 school. How the hell they are still talked about making the NCAA blows my mind!

Ooo, Archie Miller is a good one too.

How about Andy Enfield? Bennie Boatright and a host of other talent and they play zero defense and can barely make a free throw.

He doesn’t have Gak or Stone, so he gets a small break. But this hasn’t been impressive.

I think we’ve blown out 2 teams all year. Offense started to look better recently, then last night happened.

Archie Miller hands down! Has all kinds of talent and they play like a bad D-3 school. How the hell they are still talked about making the NCAA blows my mind!

7 quad 1 wins and 0 bad losses with a SOS of 4

Win out to 17-14 and win two BTT games they will be in 19-15 record because of how bad the bubble is.

It’s March 3rd and Indiana can still make the NCAA tournament or completely miss the NIT. Interesting season to say the least

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaycg15 and rdgtr
Disagree. He's had some moments(coaching). Stacked with talent is a bit much. Injuries have hurt this team. No shooters.

I was rough on Miller. But thenm you see what he has to work with. I am surprised this team is in a spot to make the NCAAT. Win out probably gets them in; weak bubble. Win and out, and one BTT win, and they are certainly in. Team is starting to play a ton better. One made three point shot(vs Iowa) from having 8 Quad 1 wins. If Morgans three drops vs Purdue, now we are talking about 9 Quad 1 wins.....And winners of 4 straight.

I know...I know.....If, ands and buts.....I get that. But the point is, Indiana is playing pretty good basketball right now. Especially defensively. Not sure I'd want to see IU in the BTT.

I know it looks bad for Florida by pretty much any metric losing to Georgia last night, but we had been playing pretty well the last few weeks. Prior to Florida, we had lost our last four games by a combined 9 points, all to future NCAA tournament teams. It was only a matter of time before they broke through and won one of those. Again, no excuse for Florida, but this Georgia team they played is a few shots away from a winning record if you want to look at it that way.

I know it looks bad for Florida by pretty much any metric losing to Georgia last night, but we had been playing pretty well the last few weeks. Prior to Florida, we had lost our last four games by a combined 9 points, all to future NCAA tournament teams. It was only a matter of time before they broke through and won one of those. Again, no excuse for Florida, but this Georgia team they played is a few shots away from a winning record if you want to look at it that way.

Any time a team loses at home to an opponent that is “a few shots away from a winning record”...well that’s an atrocious loss.

I’ve wondered why Indiana fans were so confident about Miller. So far it looks like wishful thinking.

Reactions: blue_in_chicago
Meh....Fair point, TbH. But, well, there's always more to a book than the cover. I'm not concerned as I was. Right now, it seems as if Miller has "righted the ship", somewhat. They are certainly playing harder. Defensively they have been really good. Plus, well, its amazinw hat happens when shots actually go in. I'll say this, through the shortcomings, injuries, lack of shooters, etc, etc....if he somehow gets this team in the NCAAT, well, I mean, my feelings are a ton better.

I mean you can see it in his expressions. This team drives him craqzy. Take the Wisky game for example. Durham jacks up a 30-footer with 2 seconds left. Miller has the look of---"WTF, dude....while holding two fingers". I get the feeling Miller cannot wait to get the guys he wants. But kudo's to him. I think he's gotten this team to buy in. But is it to little, to late?

I’ve wondered why Indiana fans were so confident about Miller. So far it looks like wishful thinking.
Coach "A":
15-16

16-15

Coach "B"

14-15

17-14

Second Stop for coach "B":
10-22

15-17

Coach "C"

13-17

14-15

Coach "D"

19-13

15-16

17-18

Coach "E"

16-16

17-12

I could go on and on....

Of the above coaches, only one hasn't been to a FF....Only one hasn't won a title...Two have won 2 titles. The other has one. A shit load of FF's between them. Now....I'm not saying Miller is headed down a similar path. I'm just saying its foolish to judge a guy after two years. Lets see how this year finishes first, as well. Millers a good coach. Really good. That doesn't mean he's cut out for IU. But to say so 18 months into his tenure is a bit silly.

Turgeon doesn’t win this award but he literally is in the running every year

7 quad 1 wins and 0 bad losses with a SOS of 4

Win out to 17-14 and win two BTT games they will be in 19-15 record because of how bad the bubble is.

It’s March 3rd and Indiana can still make the NCAA tournament or completely miss the NIT. Interesting season to say the least

7 quad1 wins is EXACTLY why Archie Miller deserves the vote. Being capable and underperforming. You don’t consider losing to 12-17 Northwestern a bad loss? What about getting blown out by Nebraska (under .500) at home? What about getting blown out by a Minnesota team that’s barely positive record wise?

If you can sweep MSU, beat Louisville and blow out a decent Marquette team there’s just no excuse to be 15-14.

Reactions: GE Nole
7 quad1 wins is EXACTLY why Archie Miller deserves the vote. Being capable and underperforming. You don’t consider losing to 12-17 Northwestern a bad loss? What about getting blown out by Nebraska (under .500) at home? What about getting blown out by a Minnesota team that’s barely positive record wise?

If you can sweep MSU, beat Louisville and blow out a decent Marquette team there’s just no excuse to be 15-14.

Just FYI that wasn’t some defense of him not to be on this list...it’s been a disappointing up and down season.

That was explaining why Indiana still has a chance to get in the dance.

Reactions: BeerPoisoning
Why was he at the Duke Miami game?

I think he's decent/good friends with K. They both share the same mentor in Bob Knight... And I'm sure Alford didn't mind watching the inner workings of a winning program.

Just FYI that wasn’t some defense of him not to be on this list...it’s been a disappointing up and down season.

That was explaining why Indiana still has a chance to get in the dance.

Gotcha - My fault. I thought you were defending Archie. I know a lot of Hoosier fans are over him already... I think he deserves a fair chance (with all of his own recruits) but this season hasn’t helped his case.

Coach "A":
15-16

16-15

Coach "B"

14-15

17-14

Second Stop for coach "B":
10-22

15-17

Coach "C"

13-17

14-15

Coach "D"

19-13

15-16

17-18

Coach "E"

16-16

17-12

I could go on and on....

Of the above coaches, only one hasn't been to a FF....Only one hasn't won a title...Two have won 2 titles. The other has one. A shit load of FF's between them. Now....I'm not saying Miller is headed down a similar path. I'm just saying its foolish to judge a guy after two years. Lets see how this year finishes first, as well. Millers a good coach. Really good. That doesn't mean he's cut out for IU. But to say so 18 months into his tenure is a bit silly.

Not judging him solely on this (not really making a judgment either way yet). But I wasn't as impressed by his career at Dayton as many were. A lot of coaches have one tourney run.

Too early to say he's the next Shaka, but if they don't show a lot of improvement next year, I'd be blowing up Chris Beard's phone.

Gotcha - My fault. I thought you were defending Archie. I know a lot of Hoosier fans are over him already... I think he deserves a fair chance (with all of his own recruits) but this season hasn’t helped his case.

Certainly expectations were higher than a hanging by a thread bubble team, but some issues with injuries, team not clicking, and coaching all come into play. This is also the worst jump shooting team I ever seen. The amount of missed open shoots is mind boggling.

The team is as healthy as they have been the past couple of weeks and it shows with how they have played Purdue, Iowa, Wisconsin and MSU. Winning two of those and being damn close in the other two. I love the defense but going forward the offense has to improve for Indiana to be consistently good

Certainly expectations were higher than a hanging by a thread bubble team, but some issues with injuries, team not clicking, and coaching all come into play. This is also the worst jump shooting team I ever seen. The amount of missed open shoots is mind boggling.

The team is as healthy as they have been the past couple of weeks and it shows with how they have played Purdue, Iowa, Wisconsin and MSU. Winning two of those and being damn close in the other two. I love the defense but going forward the offense has to improve for Indiana to be consistently good

They remind me of (much less talented) Duke, honestly. I’m a Duke fan living in the Hoosier state so along with all the Duke games, I’ve seen majority of IU’s as well. Can’t shoot. Defenses are playing pack-line D and forcing them to do so. Difference of course is that Duke is talented enough to withstand poor shooting.

Romeo is great, he just has 0 help.

Reactions: klize17

Florida has "9" blue chip basketball players:
C K.Hayes (Sr), C Stokes (rsFr); PF K.Stone; SF: K.Johnson (Fr);
PG Nembhard (Fr)
, SG's: K.Allen (Sr), N.Locke (Fr), Jalen Hudson (Sr), and D.Ballard (So). (Bolded players are the starters this year.)

Well, Florida lost PF Keith Stone (rsJr) to injury which has made a negative, impact on the front-court since the middle of January. The loss of front-court depth forced White to play freshmen SF Keyonte Johnson at PF. Hayes is more of a shot blocker (2nd in school history) than a scorer. Isaiah Stokes finally lost a significant amount of weight but he has conditioning issues and can only play a few minutes at a time plus he is a defensive liability.

Essentially, Florida plays a 4-guard offense most of the time. The length & quickness of Florida's guards allows them to play well defensively (KP defensive rank 10) but at times on offense can make it more difficult to score consistently without a potent, front-court offense like many other teams enjoy. Coach White tried to adjust from the lack of big man scoring by having some of our bigger guards (i.e, Nembhard, Allen, etc.) post up from time to time.

Coach White has been playing mainly three freshmen and two seniors in the starting line-up. Hudson has been like the 6th man off the bench while C Ballard, SG Okauru, and SG Bassett give limited bench minutes.

It was an unfortunate loss to Georgia after Florida previously had won 5 straight games including significant Quadrant 1 wins over Alabama & LSU on the road. Georgia has been playing well lately where many of their games were lost in the final moments to teams like Miss St (1 pt loss), LSU (4 pts), Mississippi (1 pt), Auburn (3 pts), etc.

The Gators (17-12, 9-7, tied for 4th in SEC) will still have a chance to right the ship with upcoming games against LSU & Kentucky before the SEC Tournament begins soon. In his 4th year, Mike White has Florida on the brink of a third-straight NCAA Tourney appearance. Next year, there is another top 10 recruiting class to add to the ranks. White is doing a fairly, good job if not for the front-court issues (i.e to C Gak, PF Stone, etc.) due to injuries and such.

I would hardly call that Mike White is under-performing at Florida. Besides, it is not easy for anyone to follow a coaching basketball legend like Billy Donovan.

Last edited:
Any time a team loses at home to an opponent that is “a few shots away from a winning record”...well that’s an atrocious loss.

Florida is still projected as a 9 seed in Lunardi's latest bracket and as a 10 seed on CBS's Palm bracket.

Now let's talk about Leonard Hamilton and FSU. Your team is in 4th place in the ACC just like Florida is in 4th place of the SEC. FSU's best win (neutral site) was against LSU which is also Florida's best win (a road win) to date. FSU has beaten up on a lot of ACC teams but have not done well against any of the the top 3 ACC heavyweights: (0-3) vs Virginia, Duke and lastly North Carolina.

FSU is projected as a 5 seed and it looks like that your ceiling is about a SW16 this year. We'll soon see if Hamilton & FSU can match that projection, surpass it or 'underperform' again. ;)

Maybe Leonard Hamilton & FSU will actually win that title of your post this year! Lol!

Florida has "9" blue chip basketball players:
C K.Hayes (Sr), C Stokes (rsFr); PF K.Stone; SF: K.Johnson (Fr);
PG Nembhard (Fr)
, SG's: K.Allen (Sr), N.Locke (Fr), Jalen Hudson (Sr), and D.Ballard (So). (Bolded players are the starters this year.)

Well, Florida lost PF Keith Stone (rsJr) to injury which has made a negative, impact on the front-court since the middle of January. The loss of front-court depth forced White to play freshmen SF Keyonte Johnson at PF. Hayes is more of a shot blocker (2nd in school history) than a scorer. Isaiah Stokes finally lost a significant amount of weight but he has conditioning issues and can only play a few minutes at a time plus he is a defensive liability.

Essentially, Florida plays a 4-guard offense most of the time. The length & quickness of Florida's guards allows them to play well defensively (KP defensive rank 10) but at times on offense can make it more difficult to score consistently without a potent, front-court offense like many other teams enjoy. Coach White tried to adjust from the lack of big man scoring by having some of our bigger guards (i.e, Nembhard, Allen, etc.) post up from time to time.

Coach White has been playing mainly three freshmen and two seniors in the starting line-up. Hudson has been like the 6th man off the bench while C Ballard, SG Okauru, and SG Bassett give limited bench minutes.

It was an unfortunate loss to Georgia after Florida previously had won 5 straight games including significant Quadrant 1 wins over Alabama & LSU on the road. Georgia has been playing well lately where many of their games were lost in the final moments to teams like Miss St (1 pt loss), LSU (4 pts), Mississippi (1 pt), Auburn (3 pts), etc.

The Gators (17-12, 9-7, tied for 4th in SEC) will still have a chance to right the ship with upcoming games against LSU & Kentucky before the SEC Tournament begins soon. In his 4th year, Mike White has Florida on the brink of a third-straight NCAA Tourney appearance. Next year, there is another top 10 recruiting class to add to the ranks. White is doing a fairly, good job if not for the front-court issues (i.e to C Gak, PF Stone, etc.) due to injuries and such.

I would hardly call that Mike White is under-performing at Florida. Besides, it is not easy for anyone to follow a coaching basketball legend like Billy Donovan.

This is a whole lot of typing without really saying all that much. Boo hoo, UF has a couple injuries. Nearly every team has injuries. Look at what VT is doing with their 4 guard lineup that doesn’t even have their starting point guard for the last month.

UF, even without Keith Stone, has 8 blue chippers. FSU has 3 on their entire roster. Terance Mann, MJ Walker, Trent Forrest (who is playing hurt). And yet FSU is 23-6 with a smack down of a healthy UF included.

Mike White is a fantastic basketball mind. He’s wonderful to speak with (as I have on several occasions), and he is respected by many in the game. Nonetheless, he and his UF squad are greatly underachieving this season.

Florida is still projected as a 9 seed in Lunardi's latest bracket and as a 10 seed on CBS's Palm bracket.

Now let's talk about Leonard Hamilton and FSU. Your team is in 4th place in the ACC just like Florida is in 4th place of the SEC. FSU's best win (neutral site) was against LSU which is also Florida's best win (a road win) to date. FSU has beaten up on a lot of ACC teams but have not done well against any of the the top 3 ACC heavyweights: (0-3) vs Virginia, Duke and lastly North Carolina.

FSU is projected as a 5 seed and it looks like that your ceiling is about a SW16 this year. We'll soon see if Hamilton & FSU can match that projection, surpass it or 'underperform' again. ;)

Maybe Leonard Hamilton & FSU will actually win that title of your post this year! Lol!

Why would a team that was projected by the media to finish 7th in the ACC be considered underachieving if they finish 4th?

Why aren’t FSU’s wins over Purdue, Louisville, or @Syracuse mentioned by you?

And in what world is 4th in the SEC the same as 4th in the ACC? The ACC might possibly have three 1 seeds. Why would finishing 4th be seen as a bad thing?

Reactions: BabaySharkk
I'm surprised Avery hasn't been nominated yet. Bama goes and beats UK, then looks like a middle school team against Vandy.

This is why I laugh when people talk shit about UK playing in the SEC! I don’t care how bad a team is when UK plays them they play their best game of the year and they always have a player that has a career high.

This is why I laugh when people talk shit about UK playing in the SEC! I don’t care how bad a team is when UK plays them they play their best game of the year and they always have a player that has a career high.

The same thing happens to Duke, just against better competition.

Reactions: Scotty00
ADVERTISEMENT