ADVERTISEMENT

The "Indiana University Rebuild" Thread

2017 Kansas--- Well, I mean I think Indiana's 2012 team was better than the 2016/17 Indiana team that beat that Kansas team, soooo........

Guess they’re automatically better than this year’s Baylor team too, because they lost to Washington. And Gonzaga. They lost to two very average teams.

The answer is no. 2012 Indiana was not as good as any of those teams. And that Wake Forest team was a 1 seed.

Periodically I’ll pick random teams from random years and see if you think 2012 Indiana was better than them. I wasn’t joking when I said they weren’t a top 100 team on this list since 1985 (the more I think about it the more I realize we could probably stretch it out to top 250) and are a borderline top 100 team this decade alone.

And remember, I don’t get upset on here. I’m here for the fun and the discussion of dumb topics. This certainly falls into the category of dumb topics.
Its your opinion, brother. It doesn't make it right. Same with me. Just an opinion. I beg to differ on IU not being better than any of those teams; Aside from the UK and Uconn teams. My mistake on Wake being a 2. They were a 1----Who lost to a 4 seed. Crazy, huh.

You are letting that seed number blind you. Its surprising, really. We all know the system for seeding is very flawed. I personally think that 2012 team was better than a 4 seed. JMO.

Also, I doubt 2012 Indiana was/is one of the Top 100 teams since 1985. I also doubt that 1995 Wake is as well...Or 2017 KU. But I do think that IU team was just as good as those teams. Including 2004 St. Joe. IMO you are severely underrating that team.

Guess they’re automatically better than this year’s Baylor team too, because they lost to Washington. And Gonzaga. They lost to two very average teams.
Ummm, yeah----that makes sense..Laughing Are you drinking?

Its your opinion, brother. It doesn't make it right. Same with me. Just an opinion. I beg to differ on IU not being better than any of those teams; Aside from the UK and Uconn teams. My mistake on Wake being a 2. They were a 1----Who lost to a 4 seed. Crazy, huh.

You are letting that seed number blind you. Its surprising, really. We all know the system for seeding is very flawed. I personally think that 2012 team was better than a 4 seed. JMO.

Also, I doubt 2012 Indiana was/is one of the Top 100 teams since 1985. I also doubt that 1995 Wake is as well...Or 2017 KU. But I do think that IU team was just as good as those teams. Including 2004 St. Joe. IMO you are severely underrating that team.
1989 Oklahoma
1989 Georgetown
1990 Connecticut
1990 Michigan State
1990 Oklahoma

I like to base my opinions off of results. I think that Indiana team could beat any team that’s ever played in CBB. I do not think they’re better than any of the teams I’ve been listing though.

Ummm, yeah----that makes sense..Laughing Are you drinking?

What doesn’t make sense? Your argument for being better than 17 KU is that a weaker Indiana team beat them.

Are you seriously trying to say that 17 Indiana was better than 17 KU?

According to Kenpom, 12 Indiana was a good offensive team and poor defensive team. Teams that make deep runs are usually going to be pretty strong defensively.

What doesn’t make sense? Your argument for being better than 17 KU is that a weaker Indiana team beat them.

Are you seriously trying to say that 17 Indiana was better than 17 KU?
No, I am not....Pretty sure the post went over your head....

A team that finished 5th in their own conference doesn't belong anywhere in a discussion of best teams to not make a Final Four. That shouldn't be hard to accept.
What about a team that wins their conference? Would the argument be better if I used 2015/16 IU? They won the Big 10 @ 15-3.

1989 Oklahoma
1989 Georgetown
1990 Connecticut
1990 Michigan State
1990 Oklahoma

I like to base my opinions off of results. I think that Indiana team could beat any team that’s ever played in CBB. I do not think they’re better than any of the teams I’ve been listing though.
Ok....Like I said, we can just agree to disagree. But really---1990 Gtown? 1990 they were 11-5 in the BE, and a 3 seed. Finished 4th. Lost to Xavier. MSU was really good in 1990----Manns(good friend) and Smith. I don't think that team is head and shoulders better than 2012 Indiana. 1990 Oklahoma was a very good team. Not one dude thought off that team played in the NBA. 2012 IU team had two guys drafted in the Top 5...

Apparently to difficult for you to grasp. Otherwise, you wouldn't have made the comment you did.

Well, you said that you think 12 IU was better than 17 KU, and this was your reasoning:

Well, I mean I think Indiana's 2012 team was better than the 2016/17 Indiana team that beat that Kansas team, soooo........

Btw, ‘12 Indiana was 4-6 vs ranked teams. Your main argument in their favor seems to be that they really turned it up at the end of the year. They lost to 14th ranked Wisky in the conference tourney and eeked out a 2 point win vs a 12 seed in the second round.

Well, you said that you think 12 IU was better than 17 KU, and this was your reasoning:

Well, I mean I think Indiana's 2012 team was better than the 2016/17 Indiana team that beat that Kansas team, soooo........
Dude.......It wasn't that difficult. Go back, read what Schooner said----then what I said. Then ask yourself how the hell you came up with me saying 2016/17 IU was better than 2017 KU. Read it slow. Pretty sure it'll come to you.

Btw, ‘12 Indiana was 4-6 vs ranked teams. Your main argument in their favor seems to be that they really turned it up at the end of the year. They lost to 14th ranked Wisky in the conference tourney and eeked out a 2 point win vs a 12 seed in the second round.
They won 7 of 8 to close the season. Way to point out them losing to a team ranked higher, who finsihed ahead of them in the conference, as it were some type of bad loss. Also, I'd rather eek out a 2 point win vs a 12 seed, than lose to one...As a KU fan, pretty sure you are familiar with such.

Dude.......It wasn't that difficult. Go back, read what Schooner said----then what I said. Then ask yourself how the hell you came up with me saying 2016/17 IU was better than 2017 KU. Read it slow. Pretty sure it'll come to you.

Okay, so you don’t think they were better. But you do think that 12 IU is better than 17 KU based on the fact that KU lost the first game of the year to an inferior team. Gotcha.

Okay, so you don’t think they were better. But you do think that 12 IU is better than 17 KU based on the fact that KU lost the first game of the year to an inferior team. Gotcha.
Dude, it was TONGUE / N / CHEEK....Hence the, SOOOOOO...I really didn't think it was that hard to understand. Apparently for Schooner, it wasn't---as he hasn't beaten in the ground. But you?

Yep.

They won 7 of 8 to close the season. Way to point out them losing to a team ranked higher, who finsihed ahead of them in the conference, as it were some type of bad loss. Also, I'd rather eek out a 2 point win vs a 12 seed, than lose to one...As a KU fan, pretty sure you are familiar with such.

I’m not saying there’s any shame in eeking out a win. Just not sure how it is evidence of them being red hot at the time. I’m also not propping up 2005 or 2006 KU as great teams.

I can think of two 12 seeds or worse that KU lost to. I’m pretty sure Indiana has at least that many and they haven’t faced nearly as many as KU has.

Yeah, there was 11 seed VCU also, but it’s interesting that no one acknowledges that they made the elite 8 and were blowing out good teams in the process.

Last edited:
Dude, it was TONGUE / N / CHEEK....Hence the, SOOOOOO...I really didn't think it was that hard to understand. Apparently for Schooner, it wasn't---as he hasn't beaten in the ground. But you?

Yep.

Well, it’s not like people don’t make transitive property arguments all the time. Kinda hard to gauge tone on a forum.

Ok....Like I said, we can just agree to disagree. But really---1990 Gtown? 1990 they were 11-5 in the BE, and a 3 seed. Finished 4th. Lost to Xavier. MSU was really good in 1990----Manns(good friend) and Smith. I don't think that team is head and shoulders better than 2012 Indiana. 1990 Oklahoma was a very good team. Not one dude thought off that team played in the NBA. 2012 IU team had two guys drafted in the Top 5...
1985 Oklahoma
1985 Michigan
1986 St. John’s
1986 Kentucky
1987 North Carolina
1987 Georgetown

Better than them? So far I’ve just done 1 seeds. I may have made a mistake posting a 2 or 3 but I’m pretty sure every team I’ve listed had a better resume than 2012 Indiana.

Now that I’m going in order we may be at 40 teams before I even get to 2000. All 1 seeds. All teams that in no way shape or form would anybody argue that 2012 Indiana looked better than.

1985 Oklahoma
1985 Michigan
1986 St. John’s
1986 Kentucky
1987 North Carolina
1987 Georgetown

Better than them? So far I’ve just done 1 seeds. I may have made a mistake posting a 2 or 3 but I’m pretty sure every team I’ve listed had a better resume than 2012 Indiana.

Now that I’m going in order we may be at 40 teams before I even get to 2000. All 1 seeds. All teams that in no way shape or form would anybody argue that 2012 Indiana looked better than.
I reckon.......I mean you are going waaaaaay overboard with this. I said, and IMO, IU in 2012 was one of the better teams not to make a FF. I didn't say the best----nor even compare them to the best. I didn't realize there was a number set, i.e. OP didn't say, Top 100 teams, etc, etc....He just simply said, "best team(s) not to make a FF." So comparing IU to 1985 Michigan is irrelevant. I could use 4 #1 seeds from the past 10 years, that surpass any of the teams you have listed. That doesn't make 1985 Michigan, or 1986 St. Johns in any less deserving. ANd just b/c they(1985 Michigan) may have been better---doesn't make 2012 IU any less. That was a really good team.
THng is, you are getting caught up in seeds, records, numbers, etc, etc...And that is fine. But seeding doesn't always tell the story. And you know this. Hell IU won the Big 10 in 2016, and was a 4 seed....In 2012, they finished 5th, and was a 4 seed. If I used 2016 Indiana, would you feel better, since they won the Big 10? THing is, sans Yogi, that 2012 IU team is the exact same team as the 2013 team. MOF, I'd argue with a healthy Verdell Jones, 2012 might have been better. Losing Jones late in the year was tough.

But look, I'm through with this. You have your opinion---I have mine. Mine could be awful Probably is. Really though, I don't care. I;ve got more things to concern myself with.

You win. Have a good day Schooner.

You win. Have a good day Schooner.
giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT