ADVERTISEMENT

The "Indiana University Rebuild" Thread

KYtotheCore

Jan 5, 2010
Anytown, USA
I haven’t been able to watch much CBB this season due to work, but have seen a couple of highlights of IU. I hope they have another rise to prominence; it’s good for the game. Still indifferent on whether the UK/IU series renews, but it’s been a long drought for them. It’s time.

Would also like @pig1960 ’s thoughts. :)

IU looks pretty good so far. With Langford and Morgan they have two really good offensive players and Archie appears to be a really good coach. I think they will hover around the top 25 all year if I had a guess.

Nobody really knows how good IU is.....not even IU fans. Basically, they've had 5 guys unable to play due to injuries. All 5 were considered rotation players - 2 starters. IU may only have 7 healthy bodies to throw at Duke. They have the potential to be dangerous, but time will tell if it's real or fools gold.

Nobody really knows how good IU is.....not even IU fans. Basically, they've had 5 guys unable to play due to injuries. All 5 were considered rotation players - 2 starters. IU may only have 7 healthy bodies to throw at Duke. They have the potential to be dangerous, but time will tell if it's real or fools gold.
Yeah, this. Just really banged up. Haven't been at full strength all year.

I haven’t been able to watch much CBB this season due to work, but have seen a couple of highlights of IU. I hope they have another rise to prominence; it’s good for the game. Still indifferent on whether the UK/IU series renews, but it’s been a long drought for them. It’s time.

First off---Pig1960 is an idiot. SO need to involve him.:D

As for IU? Fvck who knows. Everyone is hurt. Haven't been at full strength once. Then vs UTx Arlington, I'm pretty sure the entire fvcking team got hurt.:eek:

Pieces are there to be a really good team. Romeo/Morgan are one of the best 1-2 punches in the Big 10; If not the best. We just need to get healthy. Luckily, IU does have some depth. But shit---even that depth is hurt.

Who are the injured players? I keep hearing that but i can't think of any decent players hurt.
giphy.gif

I just renamed the thread. Didn't want to clutter the board with a new thread, but I do think a lot of people are interested in their rebuilding process. It appears to be starting with Miller, Langford, etc.

I guess the new topic for the thread is playing Duke tomorrow night. Anybody have any thoughts on how the game will go?

I guess the new topic for the thread is playing Duke tomorrow night. Anybody have any thoughts on how the game will go?
Langford and Morgan will need to go off for IU to have a realistic chance in this one. Just not enough depth in that Hoosier roster right now.

Jones and Phinisee should be a good under-the-radar freshman PG battle in the non-con. I think Phinisee is going to end up being an all-conference level player by the time he leaves Bloomington.

Will be interested to see if Miller cross-matches Smith and Morgan on Williamson and Bolden or if he sticks Morgan on Bolden to try and avoid foul trouble if possible.

Langford and Morgan will need to go off for IU to have a realistic chance in this one. Just not enough depth in that Hoosier roster right now.

Jones and Phinisee should be a good under-the-radar freshman PG battle in the non-con. I think Phinisee is going to end up being an all-conference level player by the time he leaves Bloomington.

Will be interested to see if Miller cross-matches Smith and Morgan on Williamson and Bolden or if he sticks Morgan on Bolden to try and avoid foul trouble if possible.
I'm glad you responded. I was hoping to get some Purdue fans in on this too. A little bit of rivalry input always keeps things honest and interesting!

As you can see I am beloved by many IU fans. In particular Borden who lovingly calls me an idiot. Here’s Borden’s view- injuries have limited IUs potential to date. In particular Green has hurt them by missing out. To be clear Green is the player Borden spent most of last season complaining about - he sucks, he should transfer, he’s an idiot etc. so now you got Borden calling me and Green useless idiots - I’ll let others decide who the real idiot is here. FWIW -I have no idea on IU - I do know they got the typical bump in rankings based on ancient history so them underperforming at a mediocre level does not surprise me. If and when they get some guys back Borden and friends can move on to the next set of excuses. **** IU.

Agree 100%/ Fully healthy, we might have a punchers chance. I look for SMith to guard Reddish. Make it difficult for him to get off shots(3's). Look for IU to play soft on Zion. Make him shoot. If he hits them---Tip of the cap. If McRoberts is able to go, I do look for him to get some run at RJ. But I think it will be by committee. Langford as well.

We will need a huge night from both Romeo and Morgan. And that might only keep it close. Sure wish we were 100%.

I just renamed the thread. Didn't want to clutter the board with a new thread, but I do think a lot of people are interested in their rebuilding process. It appears to be starting with Miller, Langford, etc.

We'll get wrecked tomorrow but they have some winnable games coming up afterwards that can help define the season. They need to get some guys back from injury though, way too many players playing 39+mpg right now.

@KYtotheCore not sure this thread headed the way you wanted. But what the hell do I know?You may have wanted to see IU posters whine about the vagaries of life. You could edit the title to IU posters bitch about reality. The reality being another long year full of excuses.

Reactions: KYtotheCore
We'll get wrecked tomorrow but they have some winnable games coming up afterwards that can help define the season. They need to get some guys back from injury though, way too many players playing 39+mpg right now.
I couldn't help but notice that ESPN promotes the game with flash shots of Duke player highlights, and politely adds the IU logo at the end of the commercial.

Now TJD has committed. Miller's got the keys out of his pocket.
I keep thinking that after 20 years, IU has FINALLY hired the right coach and within his first 4 or 5 years they'll have a team that is good enough to be a real contender for a championship. Not saying that they'll win a banner in those 4 or 5 year...there's way to many crazy unknown variables each tournament to say that. But, I do think the team will be good enough to be in the small handful of teams that you could see win it.

However, since we're friends and it's only me and you who will see me say this....I've been bitten by this university way too many times in the past 31 years to take anything other than a wait and see approach. Unfortunately, their going to have too show me its finally different with consistent positive results before I ever put too much faith in them.

I keep thinking that after 20 years, IU has FINALLY hired the right coach and within his first 4 or 5 years they'll have a team that is good enough to be a real contender for a championship. Not saying that they'll win a banner in those 4 or 5 year...there's way to many crazy unknown variables each tournament to say that. But, I do think the team will be good enough to be in the small handful of teams that you could see win it.

However, since we're friends and it's only me and you who will see me say this....I've been bitten by this university way too many times in the past 31 years to take anything other than a wait and see approach. Unfortunately, their going to have too show me its finally different with consistent positive results before I ever put too much faith in them.

I still think that Zeller team was better than the Michigan team that played for a title. You guys beat us twice. Any other region and Indiana might have another title. Such a shame that Crean had no answer for that zone.

I still think that Zeller team was better than the Michigan team that played for a title. You guys beat us twice. Any other region and Indiana might have another title. Such a shame that Crean had no answer for that zone.
Oh talent wise, I think they were the best team that year. But I think Crean just ran them into the ground. I think there were 4 games left in the season and they went up to East Lansing and imo played the most complete game I saw the whole season....from any team. Based on the talent throughout DIV 1 that year, I honestly didn't think that they would lose another game that year. Unfortunately, after that game, it just seemed like they were a shell of themselves. Including both the BIG tournament and the NCAA tournament, I think they went 4 and 4 the rest of the way. One loss was to an 8 win Minnesota team and they barely beat the 8 seeded Temple team.

Then, after we throw in Creans coaching ineptness during the Syracuse debacle....well, we have finally arrived at my worst sporting moment as a fan in a very long time!

@KYtotheCore not sure this thread headed the way you wanted. But what the hell do I know?You may have wanted to see IU posters whine about the vagaries of life. You could edit the title to IU posters bitch about reality. The reality being another long year full of excuses.
Excuses? You mean like the injuries to Mcroberts, Green, Davis, Thompson and Hunter? Four guys who were expected to be major contributors? Those "excuse", or are you speaking of something else?

Havent' looked good. SOme of tht is because of the injuries. Some is due to the fact that IU is relatively young; Starting 2 freshman and 2 sophomores. Even then, IU's still 6-2; a tip in from being 7-1. Won their conference opener. But who knows now---We just encountered yet another "excuse": Juwan Morgan's injury.

Let me ask you this. If Purdue had the injuries IU has had, do you think they would struggle? I like the fact that IU came back, and beat a decent NW team, w/o Morgan. Down 3 with 2;30 to go, and you lose a kid like Morgan? Think Purdue could lose Edwards, down 3, with 2 minutes to go, and win? They could. But it would be tough. And if they did, IMO, it would be a very good sign.

Now TJD has committed. Miller's got the keys out of his pocket.
In all likelihood, Brooks follows. Two 5*, Top 25 kids. And both from Indiana. One or the other will be Mr. Basketball. That will be 2 Indiana Mr. basketballs, in three seasons. So it appears, Miller is getting a hold on the state. That is a good thing.

Reactions: HoosierAlice
In all likelihood, Brooks follows. Two 5*, Top 25 kids. And both from Indiana. One or the other will be Mr. Basketball. That will be 2 Indiana Mr. basketballs, in three seasons. So it appears, Miller is getting a hold on the state. That is a good thing.
Just a nit pick, Brooks is ineligible to be Mr. Basketball I think since LaLu is not in the IHSAA.

Just a nit pick, Brooks is ineligible to be Mr. Basketball I think since LaLu is not in the IHSAA.
Not nitpicking at all. I totally forgot he transferred. But if at North still, he'd certainly be in the mix. Don't understand why he trasnferred to a non-IHSAA school.

BTW, I think TJD wins Mr. Basketball.:D

Reactions: theetommyt
Excuses? You mean like the injuries to Mcroberts, Green, Davis, Thompson and Hunter? Four guys who were expected to be major contributors? Those "excuse", or are you speaking of something else?

Havent' looked good. SOme of tht is because of the injuries. Some is due to the fact that IU is relatively young; Starting 2 freshman and 2 sophomores. Even then, IU's still 6-2; a tip in from being 7-1. Won their conference opener. But who knows now---We just encountered yet another "excuse": Juwan Morgan's injury.

Let me ask you this. If Purdue had the injuries IU has had, do you think they would struggle? I like the fact that IU came back, and beat a decent NW team, w/o Morgan. Down 3 with 2;30 to go, and you lose a kid like Morgan? Think Purdue could lose Edwards, down 3, with 2 minutes to go, and win? They could. But it would be tough. And if they did, IMO, it would be a very good sign.
Yeah...like that.

SO similar to the excuse you guys throw out to why Painter hasn't gotten pst the SW 16?

Thats cool.
That's different...those injuries happened DURING a game...the ones we're using for excuses happened during practice. If you can't understand why what IUs dealing with is no big deal...there's no hope for you.Eyeroll

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Don’t recall throwing that out ..but carry on with your excuse making.
Laughing Sure ya don't. The old, "I didn't say that....." Whenever talk of Painter not getting past a SW 16 arises, we always hear of the injuries. But hey, I am sure you've never heard/said that---right?Laughing

Laughing Sure ya don't. The old, "I didn't say that....." Whenever talk of Painter not getting past a SW 16 arises, we always hear of the injuries. But hey, I am sure you've never heard/said that---right?Laughing
No, I’ve heard it plenty of times. I just don’t use it as an excuse. Sorry I guess? Please carry on with your whining.

No, I’ve heard it plenty of times. I just don’t use it as an excuse. Sorry I guess? Please carry on with your whining.
Whining? Nope. Just pointing some facts, broseph. So, just out of curiosity...Since you don't use the injuries as an excuse, as to why painter hasn't gotten past the SW 16---I must ask:

Is it due to coaching then? I mean obviously, to you, it wasn't injuries. So it has to be coaching---Right?

Whining? Nope. Just pointing some facts, broseph. So, just out of curiosity...Since you don't use the injuries as an excuse, as to why painter hasn't gotten past the SW 16---I must ask:

Is it due to coaching then? I mean obviously, to you, it wasn't injuries. So it has to be coaching---Right?
Combination of things I suppose. It’s simplistic to say one of two things - injuries or coaching - are the reason Purdue has not been in the Final 8. But you are kind of a simple guy. I am very happy to have Painter at Purdue - his peers feel he is a very capable coach and I don’t lose sleep wondering if he will shame my University, ala Bob Knight. So I’m cool. If we get to a championship someday I’ll be happy but I won’t be stupid enough to believe my expectations had a damn thing to do with that occurring.

Combination of things I suppose. It’s simplistic to say one of two things - injuries or coaching - are the reason Purdue has not been in the Final 8. But you are kind of a simple guy. I am very happy to have Painter at Purdue - his peers feel he is a very capable coach and I don’t lose sleep wondering if he will shame my University, ala Bob Knight. So I’m cool. If we get to a championship someday I’ll be happy but I won’t be stupid enough to believe my expectations had a damn thing to do with that occurring.
SO injuries can play a part? Good to know.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
ADVERTISEMENT