ADVERTISEMENT

The “All Things UK” Thread

Lot of talent there. That said, I won’t be surprised if you guys are pulling the youth card and loading up the “fire Cal” wagon by December. SmokinSmile
May be, but I'm doubting it. You guys should worry more than us. You're taking our role from the last 2 years. Depend largely on a big, that's a defensive liability with questionable 3 point shooting and point guard that doesn't score.

We've probably got 6 first rounders, with a couple projected in the top 5, and 1 as the overall #1. We've got plenty of scorers and shooters and 3 7 footers. This team is more talented than we've had in awhile. I like the coaching changes and the style of play. And we've been missing a shot blocker, now we have 3.

The polls are afraid of us and that's understandable. I like it!

Please Cal, don't screw this up 🙏
giphy.gif

May be, but I'm doubting it. You guys should worry more than us. You're taking our role from the last 2 years. Depend largely on a big, that's a defensive liability with questionable 3 point shooting and point guard that doesn't score.

We've probably got 6 first rounders, with a couple projected in the top 5, and 1 as the overall #1. We've got plenty of scorers and shooters and 3 7 footers. This team is more talented than we've had in awhile. I like the coaching changes and the style of play. And we've been missing a shot blocker, now we have 3.

No, we shouldn't worry more, because we have Self. He nabs a 1 or 2 seed practically every year, and he's done it with less talent than this. Rival fans are downplaying the ability on this KU roster, but almost all of the people paid to evaluate this stuff had KU ranked #1 even before adding McCullar and Furphy. This team is way deeper and more talented than last year.

Let's be honest, you guys always think you're going to dominate. And there's generally a pretty good reason to think that. Unfortunately, Calipari can underachieve with the best of them.

Btw, that PG who can't score just dropped 23 on NBA guys and was the best player on the court that day.

No, we shouldn't worry more, because we have Self. He nabs a 1 or 2 seed practically every year, and he's done it with less talent than this. Rival fans are downplaying the ability on this KU roster, but almost all of the people paid to evaluate this stuff had KU ranked #1 even before adding McCullar and Furphy. This team is way deeper and more talented than last year.

Let's be honest, you guys always think you're going to dominate. And there's generally a pretty good reason to think that. Unfortunately, Calipari can underachieve with the best of them.

Btw, that PG who can't score just dropped 23 on NBA guys and was the best player on the court that day.
Are you all but guaranteeing a top two seed?

Off season champs.

I wouldn't get too excited about 1 game lol. Did I read it wrong that they took out their best players in the 4th quarter. Probably so your guys could win. And don't think Self hasn't flopped in the tourney lol

If we can get our guys healthy, we will take KU.

I wouldn't get too excited about 1 game lol. Did I read it wrong that they took out their best players in the 4th quarter. Probably so your guys could win. And don't think Self hasn't flopped in the tourney lol

If we can get our guys healthy, we will take KU.

The point is that Harris is a capable scorer. He scored in double figures in almost every game down the stretch last year. But he'll probably be the last guy in the rotation that they'll rely on for points.

Only Kentucky fans expect Kentucky to win that game. No bias, obviously. Hey, at least you're not using the youth excuse again. Until November, that is. 🤣

The polls don't reflect the addition of Mitchell and Iivisic and the recent success at the World Championship ;).

The point is that Harris is a capable scorer. He scored in double figures in almost every game down the stretch last year. But he'll probably be the last guy in the rotation that they'll rely on for points.

Only Kentucky fans expect Kentucky to win that game. No bias, obviously. Hey, at least you're not using the youth excuse again. Until November, that is. 🤣
We've got 6-7 capable 20+ pt scorers. Anyone 1 of those guys could go off on any given night. So was Wheeler, we know how that went.

Never lost to Vermont.

Northern Iowa is the only early loss by a really good Self team.
Sorry... it was Bradley.

"Marcellus Sommerville scored 21 points and made five 3-pointers, and 13th-seeded Bradley handed the fourth-seeded Jayhawks their second straight first-round NCAA tournament exit with a 77-73 victory Friday night."

• Love
Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
We've got 6-7 capable 20+ pt scorers. Anyone 1 of those guys could go off on any given night. So was Wheeler, we know how that went.

You've also got a roster of mostly freshmen, while KU has a ton of experience. And it doesn't exactly work in your favor that they play at the beginning of the season.

The two experienced guys you have are talented but also flawed. Reeves might give up as many points as he scores and Mitchell isn't that efficient in the post. But you're going to be counting on him to be one of your top low post scorers.

Sorry... it was Bradley.

"Marcellus Sommerville scored 21 points and made five 3-pointers, and 13th-seeded Bradley handed the fourth-seeded Jayhawks their second straight first-round NCAA tournament exit with a 77-73 victory Friday night."

Bradley was a top 25 team on Kenpom that year and KU was a really green 4 seed. Not the most shocking upset ever.

You've also got a roster of mostly freshmen, while KU has a ton of experience. And it doesn't exactly work in your favor that they play at the beginning of the season.
I’m not ready to say that UK can beat KU this year, or do any chest thumping. The last few seasons are just so disheartening. this is Cal’s year to prove which version of the last decade he is. This is his most-talented team in a few years. If he can’t succeed with this year’s team, he won’t get another shot. Its time for UK to put up or shut up.

The latest draft status I've seen, they have 3 picks in 2 rounds.
They have 3 first rounders only 1 of which I see asa guaranteed lotto pick and thats Edwards. 2nd round picks isn't anything to brag about.

If we are going to do that KU has

HD - 2nd round pick
McCullar 2nd round pick
Arterio 1rst round pick
Elmarko 1rst round pick
Furphy 1rst round pick
KJ will someday be a 2nd round pick

This is at best UK's 8th or 9th best roster under Cal. Do I have yall top 10, I do, but slow your roll here fella.

I’m not ready to say that UK can beat KU this year, or do any chest thumping. The last few seasons are just so disheartening. this is Cal’s year to prove which version of the last decade he is. This is his most-talented team in a few years. If he can’t succeed with this year’s team, he won’t get another shot. Its time for UK to put up or shut up.
I'm sure that Kentucky's capable of beating KU or anyone else. Plenty of talent there. But they're also going to be as green as almost any team that Calipari's had, especially early on when they play KU.

I just crack up at A) those firing up the hype wagon after beating a bunch of midmajor players in Canada and B) people crapping on what will probably be one of the most talented rosters Self has ever had.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
I'm sure that Kentucky's capable of beating KU or anyone else. Plenty of talent there. But they're also going to be as green as almost any team that Calipari's had, especially early on when they play KU.

I just crack up at A) those firing up the hype wagon after beating a bunch of midmajor players in Canada and B) people crapping on what will probably be one of the most talented rosters Self has ever had.
I used to be pretty confident about any game we played. Cal’s fumblings have taught me humility.

The two experienced guys you have are talented but also flawed. Reeves might give up as many points as he scores and Mitchell isn't that efficient in the post. But you're going to be counting on him to be one of your top low post scorers.
I agree youth usually doesn't start out strong at the beginning of the season. I'm pretty optimistic due to this team sharing the ball. Over those 4 games, they avg 25 assists per game. They're going to be tough to guard. We have multiple dogs which we've been missing as well.

Reeves wasn't drafted primarily because of his lack of defense. Only time will tell, but he's taken that on as a personal challenge and is working on his defense. This is his last year and that has to motivate him. He looked much more active on defense in at the jam. Even got some rebounds lol. Its a question mark no doubt. But we had more holes on defense than just Reeves last year. Plus there were chemistry problems, that haven't appeared yet in this group. That was due to having older guys that didn't mesh.

Mitchell if at the 5, they'll play 5 out with him. The've already shown that. He'll get some time there when we go to small ball. But for the most part, Ugonna/Ivisic and some Bradshaw at the 5. 3 7 footers. Mitchell can play both the 4 and 3. We could go really big with Dillingham/Wagner point, Edwards 2, Mitchell/Thiero 3, Bradshaw 4, Ugonna 5. Thiero has turned into a stud, from point guard last year to the 4 this year. Then there's Reed Sheppard who has an awesome basketball pedigree. He's a smart and talented. Even dunks like his dad.

If these guys share minutes, like they do with the ball, the potential is there.

I think we have enough talent to take KU this year :)

I agree youth usually doesn't start out strong at the beginning of the season. I'm pretty optimistic due to this team sharing the ball. Over those 4 games, they avg 25 assists per game. They're going to be tough to guard. We have multiple dogs which we've been missing as well.

Reeves wasn't drafted primarily because of his lack of defense. Only time will tell, but he's taken that on as a personal challenge and is working on his defense. This is his last year and that has to motivate him. He looked much more active on defense in at the jam. Even got some rebounds lol. Its a question mark no doubt. But we had more holes on defense than just Reeves last year. Plus there were chemistry problems, that haven't appeared yet in this group. That was due to having older guys that didn't mesh.

Mitchell if at the 5, they'll play 5 out with him. The've already shown that. He'll get some time there when we go to small ball. But for the most part, Ugonna/Ivisic and some Bradshaw at the 5. 3 7 footers. Mitchell can play both the 4 and 3. We could go really big with Dillingham/Wagner point, Edwards 2, Mitchell/Thiero 3, Bradshaw 4, Ugonna 5. Thiero has turned into a stud, from point guard last year to the 4 this year. Then there's Reed Sheppard who has an awesome basketball pedigree. He's a smart and talented. Even dunks like his dad.

If these guys share minutes, like they do with the ball, the potential is there.

I think we have enough talent to take KU this year :)
I appreciate your optimism. I wish I had the same. That isn’t to say I’m skeptical, moreso just needing to see it, not hear it. I know you and @kyjeff1 are opposed on what to expect. I fall somewhere in between the two of you; always excited, but just underwhelmed with our results.

This team is either a round of 32 or final four team and i think it comes down to how good Wagner is.

He’s a lottery pick, which means nothing at UK.
The hard things about the "lottery pick" argument is most guys are drafted based on potential. Look at Kelly Oubre for instance. tyt wash and cason wallace were draft picks , look at those season results. Skal and Murray were first rounds and UK lost in the 2nd round. Lotter pick doesn't guarantee anything. Can they dominate today at the college level is all that matters.

Reactions: cdbearde
I appreciate your optimism. I wish I had the same. That isn’t to say I’m skeptical, moreso just needing to see it, not hear it. I know you and @kyjeff1 are opposed on what to expect. I fall somewhere in between the two of you; always excited, but just underwhelmed with our results.
I always look forward to every season. This year I have reason to be optimistic. I've never seen a Kentucky team share the ball like this one did at the GJ. We have several play makers and shooters, 3 7 footers and 2 of those are skilled. I really like the make up, the changes Cal has made and I believe this team is going to surprise a lot of naysayers. I think the defense is going to be solid and the offense is going to be very difficult to defend. Plus these guys are fun to watch.

Hope this is accurate. They seem to be built differently this season. More players that can shoot, and the athleticism seems to be much higher than recent years. These are the kind of teams that even if they don’t win it all, as long as you make a deep run I can live with that.

Hope this is accurate. They seem to be built differently this season. More players that can shoot, and the athleticism seems to be much higher than recent years. These are the kind of teams that even if they don’t win it all, as long as you make a deep run I can live with that.
Here's a preview of KU heading back to Lawrence.

810853ae3792b47ae7c63fb1becbcc28.gif

ADVERTISEMENT