ADVERTISEMENT

The “All Things UK” Thread

What in holy hell are you talking about lurker?
He’s talking about post 48 of this thread. You lashed out at the OP over an Indiana fan (@IUfanBorden) simply saying the state of Alabama is hideous, and how you don’t want to get into it with Borden. He’ll take your lunch money and make you apologize to him for having to do it. That’s pretty much it in a nutshell.

He’s talking about post 48 of this thread. You lashed out at the OP over an Indiana fan (@IUfanBorden) simply saying the state of Alabama is hideous, and how you don’t want to get into it with Borden. He’ll take your lunch money and make you apologize to him for having to do it. That’s pretty much it in a nutshell.
Alabama is a shit hole....Birmingham has the worst stretch of 65 EVER. I've drove on better gravel roads in podunk Borden, Indiana, than that fukin stretch of 65. From Hunstville to Birmingham, its 5 trailers to every one house. No stores for miles and miles.

All side roads---ALL of them, are fukin clay. WTF?

Nothing but trees.....With get this, trailers everywhere. WHY? You mudder****lers live in tornado central. No wonder so many people die from tornados in Alabama---95% of the fuking housing from Huntsville to Birmingham are double wides.

I am sure somewhere there is some pretty to Alabama----but not off of 65 south. Best was Birmingham---and ain't no fukin way I'm getting off any of those exits.

Reactions: Yet Another UK Fan
Alabama is a shit hole....Birmingham has the worst stretch of 65 EVER. I've drove on better gravel roads in podunk Borden, Indiana, than that fukin stretch of 65. From Hunstville to Birmingham, its 5 trailers to every one house. No stores for miles and miles.

All side roads---ALL of them, are fukin clay. WTF?

Nothing but trees.....With get this, trailers everywhere. WHY? You mudder****lers live in tornado central. No wonder so many people die from tornados in Alabama---95% of the fuking housing from Huntsville to Birmingham are double wides.

I am sure somewhere there is some pretty to Alabama----but not off of 65 south. Best was Birmingham---and ain't no fukin way I'm getting off any of those exits.
RollLaughRollLaughRollLaugh

@winin11 - this clear enough for you this time?

Part of me wants to talk ball on the rafters, but I have been banned for 10+ years. who tf do you talk to about being unbanned after 10 years.

Part of me wants to talk ball on the rafters, but I have been banned for 10+ years. who tf do you talk to about being unbanned after 10 years.

You don't. You thank whoever banned you for looking out for your best interests.
ThePhog08, Kevin may be telling you the truth.

I avoid Rafters like the plague. One dip into that sewer and no telling what you may get.

You could just email one of the mods there, but they eat there own there. If I ever post a thread it’s the title and the story. No opinion.

• Haha
Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Hopefully he can recover; however, he did not do that much last year.

Maybe UK should just go small and let Borden and others demean the lackluster Canadian victories last week.

Kentucky sucks and beating 4 high school teams is meaningless. That is what I say.
Do you guys or YOU need 100% confirmation? I said I think UK could be really good---and probably will be. But I am not basing that on beating some mid-major type teams in Canada. I mean its ALL or nothing with some of you.

Do you guys or YOU need 100% confirmation? I said I think UK could be really good---and probably will be. But I am not basing that on beating some mid-major type teams in Canada. I mean its ALL or nothing with some of you.
I need nothing.

High school teams Borden? Kentucky beat three high school teams and one of those three, Canada, they beat twice.

Indiana would have beaten Canada by 150 to 26. GEEZE. We all know that.

Of course Indiana would not have played in such a pussy league. They are a "for real" B1G team. Auburn would not have done it either. UK is a washed up bunch of has-beens. Indiana is basically a great all time program.

Kentucky is going to be worthless with or without their bigs. So please don't worry me with how pitiful Kentucky is.

UK may or may not be very good---IDK. Good frosh, and some solid transfers, plus the return of Reeves. So its not out of the question this team could be really good.

BUT----to gauge that on winning a tournament vs teams comparable to Mid-Mjors,well.................I mean ya think some would have learned after UK won the Bahama national title, and then................POOF.

I think on paper UK could be fantastic. But what they did in Canada has absolutely no bearing on that thought.
Well I think it can :) They averaged around 25 assists a game. 72% of the scoring came off assists. Playing different than any of Cal's teams. Playing 5 out sometimes. Cal lets them pull the trigger from 3. They're going to be fun to watch. Playing team ball, sharing and lots of fight in this team and lots of weapons. Decent wins without a center. Great foundation to work from.

Well I think it can :) They averaged around 25 assists a game. 72% of the scoring came off assists. Playing different than any of Cal's teams. Playing 5 out sometimes. Cal lets them pull the trigger from 3. They're going to be fun to watch. Playing team ball, sharing and lots of fight in this team and lots of weapons. Decent wins without a center. Great foundation to work from.
Slow the fvcking roll. It's the middle of July.

Can someone give Bert a box of tissues? And please don't ever imply that Kentucky's Canadian championship wasn't an enormous accomplishment.

SI.com​

Kentucky Flashes Title Contender Credentials With GLOBL Jam Tournament Win​

The Wildcats looked much improved while winning a U23 tournament featuring both pro and college players from across the globe.

Kentucky Wildcats

The result exceeded expectations: Kentucky won gold, going 4–0 and looking much improved on the offensive end despite not having two key frontcourt pieces at its disposal. Considering how in flux the Kentucky roster was a little over a month ago, a strong performance like this one was quite impressive. Here’s what we learned from our first look at the Wildcats.

Kentucky Looks More Modern Offensively​

It had become increasingly obvious in recent seasons that John Calipari’s offensive philosophy needed some updates in the current college basketball landscape. While the college game isn’t quite as rim-and-three dominated as the NBA, midrange shots have taken a backseat in recent years and Kentucky has been slow to keep up. Per Hoop-Math, 36.3% of Kentucky’s shots last year were two-point jump shots, the seventh-highest mark nationally. In comparison, SEC champion Alabama took two-point jumpers just 12.2% of the time.

In Canada, Kentucky clearly had made progress on that front. They took 29 threes per game (11 more than the 18 per game they took last season), shared the ball well and looked more like an NBA-style offense. A good deal of the the credit can likely be attributed to new assistant coach John Welch, a sharp offensive mind whom Calipari has entrusted with making adjustments to their style of play. Kentucky’s ball movement was sharper, and its personnel was far better for a modern game with multiple ballhandlers and a skilled center in Tre Mitchell on the floor.
But how sustainable is Kentucky’s sharpness on the offensive end? At this point, I think it’s a safe bet that the Wildcats’ “shot diet” will be better than it has been in recent years. This roster has more shooting and more dynamic creators to generate higher-quality looks than in recent years. But I do think there are reasons for skepticism Kentucky will look this different offensively. GLOBL Jam is played with FIBA rules, with a shorter shot clock and a wider lane that creates a more NBA-like style of game. College teams will force Kentucky to grind out more possessions and play uglier.
Plus, Calipari essentially had no choice but to play Mitchell as a full-time center around four guards with Aaron Bradshaw and Ugonna Onyenso hurt. Assuming those bigs recover, they’ll see the floor plenty alongside Mitchell and take away a bit of the small-ball feel the ‘Cats had in Canada.

Antonio Reeves’s Return Looms Even Larger​

Continuity among its best players has been a casualty of Calipari’s one-and-done-centric recruiting strategy. In the last decade, Kentucky has had just two players return to school after averaging at least 14 points per game the previous season: Oscar Tshiebwe and now Reeves. After being widely rumored to be hitting the transfer portal in June and even enrolling at Illinois State to try to finish his undergraduate degree, Reeves is back in Lexington, and his performance at GLOBL Jam is proof of just how important his return is to this team’s upside.
In four games, Reeves averaged 23 points per game and shot a blistering 18-of-32 from deep en route to tournament MVP honors. On a team loaded with top recruits, Reeves looked like the first option offensively. And while that may change some as the season wears on and freshmen get more experience, it’s clear Reeves is primed for a big year in Lexington. He averaged nearly 16 points per game on strong efficiency splits in conference play a season ago and it wouldn’t be surprising to see him eclipse that threshold in 2023–24.

Kentucky Is Finally Deep in the Backcourt​

One consistent thread between Kentucky’s relative struggles in the last three years has been guard play. Between recruiting misses, injuries and roster planning miscues, the Wildcats haven’t had multiple high-level shot-creating guards on the same roster in a while. Early signs are promising that they could be back to that level again in 2023–24, though. All three highly-touted freshmen (D.J. Wagner, Robert Dillingham and Reed Sheppard) all had excellent moments in Canada. Sheppard in particular looked ahead of schedule, and it seems like it’ll be hard to keep him off the floor thanks to his shooting ability and composure with the ball.
“The best teams I’ve coached have had three and four ‘point guards’,” Calipari said, per On3. “When you have guys that aren’t skilled that way and you’re playing, it’s a different game. You’ve got to try to create shots and all that. You don’t have to on this kind of team.”

Being so reliant on youth isn’t ideal in 2023, especially in the transfer-heavy SEC. How these young guards will deal with playing against opponents often three and four years older than they are will be a major story of this Kentucky season. But considering how well Kentucky’s young guards handled playing in an event like this despite lacking practice time together, there are real reasons for optimism that the Wildcats can be back in the national title conversation in 2023–24

Last edited:

SI.com​

Kentucky Flashes Title Contender Credentials With GLOBL Jam Tournament Win​

The Wildcats looked much improved while winning a U23 tournament featuring both pro and college players from across the globe.

Kentucky Wildcats

The result exceeded expectations: Kentucky won gold, going 4–0 and looking much improved on the offensive end despite not having two key frontcourt pieces at its disposal. Considering how in flux the Kentucky roster was a little over a month ago, a strong performance like this one was quite impressive. Here’s what we learned from our first look at the Wildcats.

Kentucky Looks More Modern Offensively​

It had become increasingly obvious in recent seasons that John Calipari’s offensive philosophy needed some updates in the current college basketball landscape. While the college game isn’t quite as rim-and-three dominated as the NBA, midrange shots have taken a backseat in recent years and Kentucky has been slow to keep up. Per Hoop-Math, 36.3% of Kentucky’s shots last year were two-point jump shots, the seventh-highest mark nationally. In comparison, SEC champion Alabama took two-point jumpers just 12.2% of the time.

In Canada, Kentucky clearly had made progress on that front. They took 29 threes per game (11 more than the 18 per game they took last season), shared the ball well and looked more like an NBA-style offense. A good deal of the the credit can likely be attributed to new assistant coach John Welch, a sharp offensive mind whom Calipari has entrusted with making adjustments to their style of play. Kentucky’s ball movement was sharper, and its personnel was far better for a modern game with multiple ballhandlers and a skilled center in Tre Mitchell on the floor.
But how sustainable is Kentucky’s sharpness on the offensive end? At this point, I think it’s a safe bet that the Wildcats’ “shot diet” will be better than it has been in recent years. This roster has more shooting and more dynamic creators to generate higher-quality looks than in recent years. But I do think there are reasons for skepticism Kentucky will look this different offensively. GLOBL Jam is played with FIBA rules, with a shorter shot clock and a wider lane that creates a more NBA-like style of game. College teams will force Kentucky to grind out more possessions and play uglier.
Plus, Calipari essentially had no choice but to play Mitchell as a full-time center around four guards with Aaron Bradshaw and Ugonna Onyenso hurt. Assuming those bigs recover, they’ll see the floor plenty alongside Mitchell and take away a bit of the small-ball feel the ‘Cats had in Canada.

Antonio Reeves’s Return Looms Even Larger​

Continuity among its best players has been a casualty of Calipari’s one-and-done-centric recruiting strategy. In the last decade, Kentucky has had just two players return to school after averaging at least 14 points per game the previous season: Oscar Tshiebwe and now Reeves. After being widely rumored to be hitting the transfer portal in June and even enrolling at Illinois State to try to finish his undergraduate degree, Reeves is back in Lexington, and his performance at GLOBL Jam is proof of just how important his return is to this team’s upside.
In four games, Reeves averaged 23 points per game and shot a blistering 18-of-32 from deep en route to tournament MVP honors. On a team loaded with top recruits, Reeves looked like the first option offensively. And while that may change some as the season wears on and freshmen get more experience, it’s clear Reeves is primed for a big year in Lexington. He averaged nearly 16 points per game on strong efficiency splits in conference play a season ago and it wouldn’t be surprising to see him eclipse that threshold in 2023–24.

Kentucky Is Finally Deep in the Backcourt​

One consistent thread between Kentucky’s relative struggles in the last three years has been guard play. Between recruiting misses, injuries and roster planning miscues, the Wildcats haven’t had multiple high-level shot-creating guards on the same roster in a while. Early signs are promising that they could be back to that level again in 2023–24, though. All three highly-touted freshmen (D.J. Wagner, Robert Dillingham and Reed Sheppard) all had excellent moments in Canada. Sheppard in particular looked ahead of schedule, and it seems like it’ll be hard to keep him off the floor thanks to his shooting ability and composure with the ball.
“The best teams I’ve coached have had three and four ‘point guards’,” Calipari said, per On3. “When you have guys that aren’t skilled that way and you’re playing, it’s a different game. You’ve got to try to create shots and all that. You don’t have to on this kind of team.”

Being so reliant on youth isn’t ideal in 2023, especially in the transfer-heavy SEC. How these young guards will deal with playing against opponents often three and four years older than they are will be a major story of this Kentucky season. But considering how well Kentucky’s young guards handled playing in an event like this despite lacking practice time together, there are real reasons for optimism that the Wildcats can be back in the national title conversation in 2023–24
iu

Is it a volleyball tournament? 🤔

It’s actually kinda interesting. KU’s team is full of good former players, although they needed a late comeback in the first round to beat a team of former D3 players. Today they’re taking on Missouri alums.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
It’s actually kinda interesting. KU’s team is full of good former players, although they needed a late comeback in the first round to beat a team of former D3 players. Today they’re taking on Missouri alums.
Nice, I'll have to start watching. Did KU vs Mizzou alums play yet? I'm sure that won't be a very friendly matchup!

Nice, I'll have to start watching. Did KU vs Mizzou alums play yet? I'm sure that won't be a very friendly matchup!

Just finished. Mass Street (KU) was crushing them in the first half but the older dudes were gassed by the 3rd quarter and they barely held on. Langford’s their best player and he’s pushing 40. They might be too old to win the thing.

Isiaih Mosley was the youngest player in the game and it showed. He took over in the 2nd half.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
ADVERTISEMENT