ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Tech keeps reloading

West Virginia is too low. They pretty much changed their entire lineup during the season and really started to play well down the stretch. Look at their run in the Big 12 tournament. Think they return about everyone that mattered during that run.

I like them and OSU to be the “surprise” teams. I don’t see either being in the top 2 but they’ll be salty.

OSU basically played 4 rec guys and a freshman 4 star and still hung tough.

WVU had a serious upgrade in talent. Just gotta hope they all buy in to Huggy ball.

Reactions: RedR8der4Life
Ramsey is their next guy. But won’t be ready this year. Will be Moretti team.

This year in order:

KU
Tech
Baylor
ISU
Texas
Kstate
WVU
Okie state
TCU
OU
Don't be shocked if either Edwards or Corprew step up the same way Culver did this past year. Its not going to be quite to the same extent but we will be much deeper as well. My bet is on Edwards personally as he just looks the part to me and never seems to lack confidence shooting regardless of the situation. I was saying all last year I'd be surprised if Edwards isn't the best player on our team at some point in his career. But, Beard has said Corprew will be All Big 12 and I haven't seen near the flashes out of him as Edwards has shown. Moretti could be very good as well next year but I'd still put my money on one of those other two to really step up. I think we take you in conference but it will come down to the end of the season again and you guys will be better than last year for sure.

Last edited:
Tech's first true elite player
Darvin Ham and Andre Emmett came close.
But Culver will be a future 10 year starter in the NBA and All NBA defensive team.
Something that doesn't walk through the door everyday at Tech.

Darvin Ham? How does his name even appear on the list of elite Texas Tech players? He had a nice dunk against UNC, and I guess that's what he's remembered for, but the 96 team had much better players - like Jason Sasser, Cory Carr, and Tony Battie.

Darvin Ham? How does his name even appear on the list of elite Texas Tech players? He had a nice dunk against UNC, and I guess that's what he's remembered for, but the 96 team had much better players - like Jason Sasser, Cory Carr, and Tony Battie.

Ham wasn’t elite for Tech. He had a nice NBA career and will be a HC pretty soon, but Emmett, Sasser, Carr, Coy Smith, Battie, etc were all good college players that were better than Ham. You can’t qualify any of those as elite either.

Sad as it is to say for my alma mater, Tech hasn’t ever had a “elite” basketball player (one that goes on to the NBA and makes some noise). Culver and Zhaire Smith could change that though.

I like them and OSU to be the “surprise” teams. I don’t see either being in the top 2 but they’ll be salty.

OSU basically played 4 rec guys and a freshman 4 star and still hung tough.

WVU had a serious upgrade in talent. Just gotta hope they all buy in to Huggy ball.

I agree with you about Oklahoma St.
Lindy Waters is a basketball player. They are bringing in some nice pieces. Expect their big to develop as well.

West Virginia is too low. They pretty much changed their entire lineup during the season and really started to play well down the stretch. Look at their run in the Big 12 tournament. Think they return about everyone that mattered during that run.

WV needs to get better in the backcourt.
McCabe is a decent offensive player but doesn't stay in front of faster guards
Reason why Coastal Carolina blew them out in the CBI.

I haven't seen them bring any older PG in.

I like Jermaine Haley. He is long and a good scorer but teams strong in the backcourt will run them out of the gym.

Ramsey is their next guy. But won’t be ready this year. Will be Moretti team.

This year in order:

KU
Tech
Baylor
ISU
Texas
Kstate
WVU
Okie state
TCU
OU

Yes but Konate stayed in draft. He comes back, I’d go top 5 in big 12.

Yes the 5* center coming in is going to be another Konate, but they needed the experience with such a young team. I’m OK putting WVU at 5, but Texas now has a veteran laden team with Andrew Jones, Campbell, Sims, Febres, Mitrou Long,etc and adding a sick recruiting class. If Shaka can’t get to round 2 of the NCAA with this team, he needs to be canned officially. Kstate will struggle without Dean Wade and Barry Brown. Sneed coming back will help them.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

Yes the 5* center coming in is going to be another Konate, but they needed the experience with such a young team. I’m OK putting WVU at 5, but Texas now has a veteran laden team with Andrew Jones, Campbell, Sims, Febres, Mitrou Long,etc and adding a sick recruiting class. If Shaka can’t get to round 2 of the NCAA with this team, he needs to be canned officially. Kstate will struggle without Dean Wade and Barry Brown. Sneed coming back will help them.

Yeah, that’s going to hurt them. Center is the one position that rarely makes an immediate impact. They generally need a couple of seasons just to develop the stamina just to stay in the game.

You can make a case for many teams. Big 12 is going to be a gauntlet once again. Which is how it should be.

Maybe they beat up on each other too much and that's why that league has only won one championship this century.

They still have Derek Culver. Their 5 star center has a limited offense game.
They would be better if one was a stretch 5.
Putting two bigs on the court works if they have a different game.

Regarding Texas.
All depends on Gerald Liddell. The backcourt will be strong with Jones, Coleman, Febres and Ramsey.
If Liddell can play as a small ball center at times or play as a 4 with Sims, Will Baker and Jones Texas can be dangerous.
Liddell may have the highest ceiling on Texas in NBA terms.

Kai Jones is another one to watch because he is more of a shooter and can play on the perimeter.
Reminds a lot of people of Myles Turner.

They still have Culver. Their 5 star center has a limited offense game.
They would be better if one was a stretch 5.
Putting two bigs on the court works if they have a different game.

Regarding Texas.
All depends on Gerald Liddell. The backcourt will be strong with Jones, Coleman, Febres and Ramsey.
If Liddell can play as a small ball center at times or play as a 4 with Sims, Will Baker and Jones Texas can be dangerous.

Kai Jones is another one to watch because he is more of a shooter and can play on the perimeter.
Reminds a lot of people of Myles Turner.

Agree Culver is legit.

Yes Texas is stacked again. Thus #5 on my list. This is the last year you guys can give Shaka a Chance.

Your guys problem is coaching. Period.

Have the horses every year since I was in school 01-05 competing with you guys for the big 12 every year. Barnes was a good jockey.

Shaka is a good recruiter, terrible jockey.

Agree Culver is legit.

Yes Texas is stacked again. Thus #5 on my list. This is the last year you guys can give Shaka a Chance.

Have the horses every year since I was in school 01-05 competing with you guys for the big 12 every year. Barnes was a good jockey.

The difference is Shaka's style can win in March.

The problem has been getting the guards to play his style.
Kerwin Roach could have been a lot better in his role but was always looking out for himself.
Losing Andrew Jones in 2017-2018 hurt. That team had a high ceiling.
Last year was getting Courtney Ramey ready and it happened way too late.

Texas is going to be either elite in 2019-2020 or they will be a bubble team. I don't think there is a middle for this team.
If everything works out Texas will win 27+ games.

Ramsey?

Donovan Williams is a much better combo guard.
I think Chris Beard would even admit that if Ramsey wouldn't find out.
Tech offered Williams and Ramsey
Texas only offered Williams
Only player Beard has won over Texas has been Culver. This is at a "basketball school"

Even then...
Tech should be a decent team. I think Chris Beard can prove himself to be able to win without Jarrett Culver.
UT offered Zhaire Smith

Agree Culver is legit.

The difference is Shaka's style can win in March.

The problem has been getting the guards to play his style.
Kerwin Roach could have been a lot better in his role but was always looking out for himself.
Losing Andrew Jones in 2017-2018 hurt. That team had a high ceiling.
Last year was getting Courtney Ramey ready and it happened way too late.

Texas is going to be either elite in 2019-2020 or they will be a bubble team. I don't think there is a middle for this team.
If everything works out Texas will win 27+ games.

Well it has to happen. Texas has no business in the NIT and not making the second weekend in a decade, and we both know it.

Barnes had that team averaging the second weekend in the 2000’s

Well it has to happen. Texas has no business in the NIT and not making the second weekend in a decade, and we both know it.

I don't think the NIT was a bad thing for Texas.
I think Texas as a 10 or 11 could have possibly made noise but I don't know if the NCAA Tournament would have allowed Texas to develop players like Liddell.

The question is when Texas plays teams like Michigan State and Texas Tech what happens.
The game against Michigan St and the second game against Tech decided the season for Texas.
Truthfully think Texas could have won both games but Texas' young guards were overwhelmed. Texas is two teams. The team that wins games because they control the backcourt and can beat any team in the country or the team that has its guards overwhelmed.
This is where Kerwin Roach failed to step up. He was one of the most athletic guards in the country but he has a horrible shot. Why shoot 5-8 3's when you are a 33% shooter even in an open gym without a defense.

The perimeter D Texas Tech had in 2018-2019 had a lot to do with Jarrett Culver. His 6-6 wingspan caused a lot of issues in moving the ball and finding openings.

I don't think the NIT was a bad thing for Texas.
I think Texas as a 10 or 11 could have possibly made noise but I don't know if the NCAA Tournament would have allowed Texas to develop players like Liddell.

The question is when Texas plays teams like Michigan State and Texas Tech what happens.
The game against Michigan St and the second game against Tech decided the season for Texas.
Truthfully think Texas could have won both games but Texas' young guards were overwhelmed. Texas is two teams. The team that wins games because they control the backcourt and can beat any team in the country or the team that has its guards overwhelmed.
This is where Kerwin Roach failed to step up. He was one of the most athletic guards in the country but he has a horrible shot. Why shoot 5-8 3's when you are a 33% shooter even in an open gym without a defense.

You nailed it. Well stated.

Roach was cancerous half the time (lots of the losses) and the difference maker half the time (win over UNC).

Culver is a good example of how worthless recruiting rankings are after the surefire stars. It’s a crapshoot.

Tech fans should know this well. Mahomes was barely top 400 and he was amazing even in HS.

Recruiting rankings are largely worthless in predicting who will be stars. But people think they mean something so you have to be aware of them. But Tech still at its core needs to be a developmental program. Taking guys and improving them whether that is 3 or 5 star guys.

The thing is Beard seems to have an eye for talent, building a team, and coaching guys up. So I trust him even if its bringing in 3 stars or unranked European players.

Kliff had an eye for spotting QB talent. That paid off with Mahomes and all those other guys that started off at Tech then went to the NFL.

Glad you guys are having success. I hope you continue to keep KU from what seems to be the most important thing to them....winning the Big 12.
However.... don't let the expectations get outta hand until you're seeing some consistency....not just on getting to the title game last season. The "Agroids" (the other TX school you guys seem to hate most) ...had a good run for a few years and started acting like they invented basketball.

That isn't us. We are not Texas A&M. They think they rival Harvard academically, West Point as a service academy, Alabama in football, UCLA in basketball, and Southern Cal in baseball.

That said we are pretty competitive in basketball now.

NBA is different than NFL...

Players don't get drafted high because they developed.
Players are drafted high because they have potential.

Potential is something that cannot be taught

Development is based on getting players into the league and sticking because of their Basketball IQ.

So Culver wasn't developed into a potential Top 5 pick and maybe Top 3 pick.

There is elite talent. The type of talent you may never see again on your campus.

Like Anthony Davis with Kentucky. They have brought in a bunch of 5 stars but none of them are AD.
This is where "you are getting ahead of yourself" Expecting another player to turn into Jarrett Culver.
Basketball is often times who has the best player on the court on the offensive and defensive end.
That is how much of a difference an elite player makes.

It is not football.

Thought Tech was a basketball school now. You should know the difference.

NBA is different than NFL...

Players don't get drafted high because they developed.
Players are drafted high because they have potential.

Potential is something that cannot be taught

Development is based on getting players into the league and sticking because of their Basketball IQ.

So Culver wasn't developed into a potential Top 5 pick and maybe Top 3 pick.

There is elite talent. The type of talent you may never see again on your campus.

Like Anthony Davis with Kentucky. They have brought in a bunch of 5 stars but none of them are AD.
This is where "you are getting ahead of yourself" Expecting another player to turn into Jarrett Culver.
Basketball is often times who has the best player on the court on the offensive and defensive end.
That is how much of a difference an elite player makes.

It is not football.

Thought Tech was a basketball school now. You should know the difference.

Do you forget the year before we also had Zhaire Smith drafted 16th? He only played 1 year to Culver's 2 but if he stayed another he would have been in an almost identical situation to Culver so in essence its already been done two years in a row. Beard has taken two three star players and turned them into first rounders. I'd be shocked to hear of any other example of that happening at another school with similar rated players. Either Beard is completely masterful at finding under recruited players or he knows how to develop talent. Its probably a lot of both honestly. To think Beard won't turn more talented 4 and 5 star recruits into another Culver level player is only wishful thinking on your part.

Do you forget the year before we also had Zhaire Smith drafted 16th? He only played 1 year to Culver's 2 but if he stayed another he would have been in an almost identical situation to Culver so in essence its already been done two years in a row. Beard has taken two three star players and turned them into first rounders. I'd be shocked to hear of any other example of that happening at another school with similar rated players. Either Beard is completely masterful at finding under recruited players or he knows how to develop talent. Its probably a lot of both honestly. To think Beard won't turn more talented 4 and 5 star recruits into another Culver level player is only wishful thinking on your part.

Culver wasn't under recruited.
Every school in Texas wanted him. He was the main focus for Shaka Smart after Mo Bamba.

Zhaire Smith would have never have been a Top 5 pick.
Like I said NBA drafts based on potential. Smith doesn't have All NBA potential like Culver.
James Harden is a decent comparsion to Culver at his peak.
Culver can be a 30 PPG scorer in the NBA.

But Beard and his staff at Tech did help. Do not get me wrong but it is not like football.

If Culver developed under Beard he would have been near unstoppable.
The college game hurts him somewhat.

You don't teach what Culver has. He gets to the lane and draws contact. In the NBA he would have been on the lane.
He needs to develop a better shot and be a more consistent free throw shooter.

Culver wasn't under recruited.
Every school in Texas wanted him. He was the main focus for Shaka Smart after Mo Bamba.

Zhaire Smith would have never have been a Top 5 pick.
Like I said NBA drafts based on potential. Smith doesn't have All NBA potential like Culver.
James Harden is a decent comparsion to Culver at his peak.
Culver can be a 30 PPG scorer in the NBA.

But Beard and his staff at Tech did help. Do not get me wrong but it is not like football.
Bottom line is the guy was only rated as a 3 star out of high school and he didn't have an offer sheet that would typically go with a guy that gets drafted top 5 in the NBA after 2 years of college. Beard will be able to turn obvious 4 and 5 star talent out of highschool into another Culver type impact player. Considering what he's done so far at Tech I'm surprised anyone would doubt his abilities to do it again.

Now on to the second point I love me some Culver but he's no where close to Harden offensively and considering how few players average 30 points a game I highly doubt he is one of those guys in his career. He could be a Kawhi light both offensively and defensively potentially but he still has a long ways to go. That is still a big compliment though considering I view Kawhi as the best player in the league right now.

Bottom line is the guy was only rated as a 3 star out of high school and he didn't have an offer sheet that would typically go with a guy that gets drafted top 5 in the NBA after 2 years of college. Beard will be able to turn obvious 4 and 5 star talent out of highschool into another Culver type impact player. Considering what he's done so far at Tech I'm surprised anyone would doubt his abilities to do it again.

Now on to the second point I love me some Culver but he's no where close to Harden offensively and considering how few players average 30 points a game I highly doubt he is one of those guys in his career. He could be a Kawhi light both offensively and defensively potentially but he still has a long ways to go. That is still a big compliment though considering I view Kawhi as the best player in the league right now.

Because he was from Lubbock and his AAU team didn't get anyone's attention.
He didn't really develop. His development will take another 3-4 years because he needs a shot. College game vs NBA Game.

You obviously don't see why people are high on Culver. The NBA game is more wide open, more isolation and fouls get called.

Because he was from Lubbock and his AAU team didn't get anyone's attention.
He didn't really develop. His development will take another 3-4 years because he needs a shot. College game vs NBA Game.

You obviously don't see why people are high on Culver. The NBA game is more wide open, more isolation and fouls get called.
Obviously you didn't watch Culver from his Freshman to Sophmore years if you don't think he developed. He got significantly better in all aspects of his game since his first game on campus. I see exactly why people are high on Culver and its because of his two way ability and measurables at this point not because they think he will be a 30 point scorer in the league.

Obviously you didn't watch Culver from his Freshman to Sophmore years if you don't think he developed. He got significantly better in all aspects of his game since his first game on campus. I see exactly why people are high on Culver and its because of his two way ability and measurables at this point not because they think he will be a 30 point scorer in the league.

It is his potential.
I have heard both sides. If he is a Top 3 pick he is being drafted based on his scoring ability.
Some aren't as high on him. If that is the case he will be closer to 10.

Basketball is different because there is only one ball and people get caught up with the player who has the ball in his hands.
The development of Culver was based on the coaching staff having more trust in him, losing players last year and adapting to the speed of the game.

At the end of the day the greatest basketball coaches don't really develop talent.
Never have. What they do is find players that fit their system and have a system in place.
Difference between football and basketball.

Maybe in your heads you are telling yourself you have another Jarrett Culver coming in and Chris Beard is some magician. Truthfully it goes to show how much the Tech fanbase really knows about basketball.
You are supposed to be the basketball school now.

It is his potential.
I have heard both sides. If he is a Top 3 pick he is being drafted based on his scoring ability.
Some aren't as high on him. If that is the case he will be closer to 10.

Basketball is different because there is only one ball and people get caught up with the player who has the ball in his hands.
The development of Culver was based on the coaching staff having more trust in him, losing players last year and adapting to the speed of the game.

At the end of the day the greatest basketball coaches don't really develop talent.
Never have. What they do is find players that fit their system and have a system in place.

Maybe in your heads you are telling yourself you have another Jarrett Culver coming in and Chris Beard is some magician. Truthfully it goes to show how much the Tech fanbase really knows about basketball.
What's funny is you're the clueless one here. Your "adapting to the speed of the game" should be code for developed as a player. By the way you are talking right now players shouldn't even bother practicing because they have all the skills they will ever acquire early on and coaches have no effect. Its not an intelligent argument to make. Tell all the NBA players that started shooting better under the tutelage of a good shooting coach once getting into the league. Tell that to strength and conditioning coaches that put in a regiment which increases speed, vertical jump, etc. You can't honestly believe what you are saying if you ever played any sport at any level under a decent coach.

I know its painful to be so far under Tech as a program that you need to underscore our ability to keep it going. Even worse its one of your alumni that's going to keep us at this level which probably makes it even more painful.

I

Never have.
What they do is find players that fit their system and have a system in place.

that's literally the dumbest thing i've ever seen posted. i don't think any player at any level would agree with you about that. and frankly nobody should it's fvcking ******ed.

What's funny is you're the clueless one here. Your "adapting to the speed of the game" should be code for developed as a player. By the way you are talking right now players shouldn't even bother practicing because they have all the skills they will ever acquire early on and coaches have no effect. Its not an intelligent argument to make. Tell all the NBA players that started shooting better under the tutelage of a good shooting coach once getting into the league. Tell that to strength and conditioning coaches that put in a regiment which increases speed, vertical jump, etc. You can't honestly believe what you are saying if you ever played any sport at any level under a decent coach.

I know its painful to be so far under Tech as a program that you need to underscore our ability to keep it going. Even worse its one of your alumni that's going to keep us at this level which probably makes it even more painful.

The development you are claiming doesn't exist.

No one is saying players done get better but players don't develop into lottery picks because of coaching.
Plain and simple

Reactions: DallasJayhawk
that's literally the dumbest thing i've ever seen posted. i don't think any player at any level would agree with you about that. and frankly nobody should it's fvcking ******ed.

Either you have the potential to be a Top 10 pick or you don't.
Potential isn't developed. NBA teams draft on potential.
The potential of Culver wasn't seen because he played in Lubbock and not with a big name AAU program.
That doesn't mean Culver didn't have NBA potential before he went to Tech. Like I said most of the schools in Texas considered Culver a big deal. Thing was Culver wasn't known nationally.

There are players right now who are better than who will be drafted in the Top 10.
They don't have the potential of a player like Culver. Being great at the current isn't what gets you drafted. Being elite in the future does.

Sheriff is obviously talking out of his ass.. The Tech staff totally re-built Culver’s shot last off season.. They did it for his long term benefit and NBA potential.

Every single former coach that has visited Tech has commented on well structured the program is. Fran Frichillia, said the Tech practices were the best he has ever seen.

Reactions: FiscalKliff
WV needs to get better in the backcourt.
McCabe is a decent offensive player but doesn't stay in front of faster guards
Reason why Coastal Carolina blew them out in the CBI.

I haven't seen them bring any older PG in.

I like Jermaine Haley. He is long and a good scorer but teams strong in the backcourt will run them out of the gym.
Did they make the CBI?

Sheriff is obviously talking out of his ass.. The Tech staff totally re-built Culver’s shot last off season.. They did it for his long term benefit and NBA potential.

Every single former coach that has visited Tech has commented on well structured the program is. Fran Frichillia, said the Tech practices were the best he has ever seen.

That would be like me giving Shaka Smart credit for Jaxson Hayes.
Do you know only two years ago Hayes averaged 1 ppg in High School.
Hayes developed because he is a mixture of athleticism and length.
This is why he is a Top 10 pick. Has nothing to do with Texas.

Same thing with Culver. He is the perfect size for a basketball player. 6-6 to 6-7 with length and athleticism.
His killer instinct isn't something had happened at Tech it was something he developed early.
His shot may have gotten better but his shot is still his biggest weakness so Tech and Chris Beard didn't help much there.

Not every player wants the ball in their hands late in the game and even fewer can make something happen with the ball in their hands.

ADVERTISEMENT