ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Tech keeps reloading

Kick KU while they’re down. That’s a laugh. KU’s “down” is them not winning the conference and only going to the round of 32.
Hundreds of other teams could only hope to be “down” like that.

They may get slapped with some sanctions but honestly, other than a few fans who want them to go down because they’re KU nobody thinks anything they did was that bad. It’s not like they were paying Ayton 10k a month, or making up bullshit classes for players. The NCAA already brought the career ruining hammer down on DeSousa for his mom taking a couple of grand he didn’t even know about. That punishment seemed a tad severe.

KU is one blue blood winner I can deal with. Their fans give credit where due and they actually want competition.

Great post and accurate

Ramsey is absolutely better than Williams.. Williams is a nice player, but he lacks Ramsey’s explosiveness.. With a little development under the best development staff in the country, I would expect Ramsey to be an elite defender.

Williams is a shooter who is long and can play defense

Gives Texas someone who can play the wing an fill in at 2/3.

Williams will be a 10 minute guy next year as Texas is loaded at those positions

Whatever the case, I’m anxious to see what Beard can do with all this talent now.

Zaire Smith, 3* to 16th pick
Jarrett Culver, 3* to projected 5-10th lottery pick
Ramsey, 5* to ???

Ramsey is more a high 4 low.5.

Culver was a legit player. Texas wanted him over Jase Febres because Culver was already an elite D player.
Plus he had elite athleticism. Brother was State champ in the high jump.

Ramsey?

Donovan Williams is a much better combo guard.
I think Chris Beard would even admit that if Ramsey wouldn't find out.
Tech offered Williams and Ramsey
Texas only offered Williams
Only player Beard has won over Texas has been Culver. This is at a "basketball school"

Even then...
Tech should be a decent team. I think Chris Beard can prove himself to be able to win without Jarrett Culver.
Texas who?

Reactions: RedR8der4Life
Tech's first true elite player
Darvin Ham and Andre Emmett came close.
But Culver will be a future 10 year starter in the NBA and All NBA defensive team.
Something that doesn't walk through the door everyday at Tech.

c4a.gif

We will see.
Every player is different. I think Tech is getting close to that point that they can sell the NBA.
A lot of these elite prospects only care about playing professional basketball. Schools like Texas and Kansas put players in the NBA.

The RJ Hampton recruitment is a barometer of where Tech is at as a program.

Uh jahmius Ramsey? All everything 5* combo 2/3 guy? Top 20 player in country. I’d say they’re going to be just fine. Sick lineup.

When Khavon Moore had to transfer out, you know they’re going to be fine at the 1-2-3. Them they add the SFA transfer, Clarke nd this guy today for some frontcourt depth. They will feel the losses of Odiase and Owens tho.

Moretti prob plays point all year.

owens will be a tough loss, he was a huge reason our defense was so good. he could guard anyone on the floor while at the same time protecting the rim at a very high level. odiase will be tough to lose more because of his leadership and toughness.

also we landed TJ holyfield as a grad transfer from SFA. he's a very good shot blocker and defender as well.

Williams is a shooter who is long and can play defense

Gives Texas someone who can play the wing an fill in at 2/3.

Williams will be a 10 minute guy next year as Texas is loaded at those positions

as long as you have shaka and the UT entitlement issue that permeates that program i'm not worried about UT basketball. you always recruit well and it hasn't mattered.

Reactions: Fight r8rs Fight!
as long as you have shaka and the UT entitlement issue that permeates that program i'm not worried about UT basketball. you always recruit well and it hasn't mattered.

It is not clicking....
Jarrett Culver is an elite player.
He could have went to any school in Texas but picked to stay home.

What Culver does on the defensive end will be difficult to replace.

Some of you have this idea that the ball is still rolling.
I don't see it without Culver.

That is why RJ Hampton is an important recruit.
Tech will for sure take a step back next year. Don't know how far. I think they still could be a Sweet 16 team at best but no where near what they were in 2018-2019.

In regards to Texas.
Like I have said. Their team depends on Gerald Liddell. He has Top 10 draft pick potential. Would be interested in seeing where he is at.

It isn't entitlement. It was Texas had fo regroup at guard without Andrew Jones. As good as Courtney Ramey will be he couldn't be that player as a freshmen.

Andrew Jones
Jase Febres
Courtney Ramey
Matt Coleman

Are probably the best backcourt in the Big 12.

It is not clicking....
Jarrett Culver is an elite player.
He could have went to any school in Texas but picked to stay home.

What Culver does on the defensive end will be difficult to replace.

Some of you have this idea that the ball is still rolling.
I don't see it without Culver.

That is why RJ Hampton is an important recruit.
Tech will for sure take a step back next year. Don't know how far. I think they still could be a Sweet 16 team at best but no where near what they were in 2018-2019.

In regards to Texas.
Like I have said. Their team depends on Gerald Liddell. He has Top 10 draft pick potential. Would be interested in seeing where he is at.

It isn't entitlement. It was Texas had fo regroup at guard without Andrew Jones. As good as Courtney Ramey will be he couldn't be that player as a freshmen.

Andrew Jones
Jase Febres
Courtney Ramey
Matt Coleman

Dotson, Hampton, Agbaji, McBride, Garrett (and possibly Wilson) would have something to say about that.

Obviously, Hampton and Wilson aren't in the bag, but Daniels is rarely wrong and they want to play together.

Andrew Jones
Jase Febres
Courtney Ramey
Matt Coleman

and it won't matter again.

in regards to culver, he wasn't a huge factor in the 2018 elite 8 run, keenan evans was by far our best player. the pieces Beard has added are going to make us one of the most talented teams in the conference, but who knows how that looks exactly. I know we'll probably have the best defense in the conference again and with that we will be in a lot of games. I don't expect us to go to another championship game, but yes i think we will be a very competitive team and probably minimum a top 3 team in the big12.

and it won't matter again.

in regards to culver, he wasn't a huge factor in the 2018 elite 8 run, keenan evans was by far our best player. the pieces Beard has added are going to make us one of the most talented teams in the conference, but who knows how that looks exactly. I know we'll probably have the best defense in the conference again and with that we will be in a lot of games. I don't expect us to go to another championship game, but yes i think we will be a very competitive team and probably minimum a top 3 team in the big12.

Culver was important in 2017-2018
He changed the way Tech played defense.

He is a future All NBA Defensive Team.

It is his length. His length caused a lot of problems.
Ramsey is a good player but he will have to be taught to play defense like that. Even then he doesn't have the length of Culver

Culver was important in 2017-2018
He changed the way Tech played defense.

He is a future All NBA Defensive Team.

It is his length. His length caused a lot of problems.
Ramsey is a good player but he will have to be taught to play defense like that. Even then he doesn't have the length of Culver

our 2 best defensive players last year were owens and mooney. culver is a very good defender no doubt but he wasn't even the best one the team last year, that bears out pretty obvious when looking at it statistically.

our 2 best defensive players last year were owens and mooney. culver is a very good defender no doubt but he wasn't even the best one the team last year, that bears out pretty obvious when looking at it statistically.

Basketball is a team game.
Sometimes the guy who gets the steal or block isn't the only one responsible.

Owens is a good player. Could guard anyone anywhere on the court.
His length was an issue as well.

But on the perimeter it was Jarrett Culver.
Tech's perimeter defense was elite.

Think you should show more respect to Culver. You will probably after next year.

Think you should show more respect to Culver. You will probably after next year.

considering Mooney averaged .4 steals more a game you can probably shut the fvck up. I also watched nearly every TTU game and Mooney was by far our most disruptive perimeter defender. dude was top 60 in steals per game and stole the ball 70 times last year.

you are literally just making crap up to try to fit a narrative that's completely false. culver was an amazing player for us, our best player last year but he wasn't our best defender by any metric you can put out there.

You seem to imply that because Tech fans won’t resign themselves to a return to the norm because we lost JC, that we somehow are unaware of what he meant to the team last season. We all appreciate what Culver was for us, but the team next season will be the most talented team, on paper, in program history. Couple that with a coaching staff that has proven outstanding in player development and X’s and O’s and we have confidence that we will have another very good year, even with who we lost. It’s not an unfair assessment. We probably won’t be back in the title game next season, but I’d be willing to bet you a sizeable amount that Texas will be looking up at us in the standings yet again, because we have one thing they don’t...Chris Beard.

Not worth the time.

Mooney is a decent player but he will be making money playing in Eastern Europe while Culver will be in the NBA.
Culver is a potential Top 5 pick. He is a potential 25+ PPG scorer but at the very least he is an elite defender. He can slow down any 2 or 3 and can switch.

i agree with everything you just said. although Mooney could get a shot at the NBA.

Not worth the time.

Mooney is a decent player but he will be making money playing in Eastern Europe while Culver will be in the NBA.
Culver is a potential Top 5 pick. He is a potential 25+ PPG scorer but at the very least he is an elite defender. He can slow down any 2 or 3 and can switch.

Two things can be true at the same time you clown dick. Mooney was a better perimeter defender this season without a doubt. Culver has a higher upside as a defender than Mooney and is, without a doubt, the better all-around player and will likely make tens of millions as a pro.

Him leaving is a loss for sure, but Tech will be better than Texas and in the running for a league title as long as Chris Beard mans the sidelines. Recruit whomever you please, it simply won’t matter.

Not sure why you guys are arguing. Sounds like everyone agrees that we are awesome, including Sheriff. :)
The entire point of him mentioning Culver's importance on defense is to say we will slip back under Texas next season. He's looking for an excuse for us to not be as good its not to compliment us.

We simply have a better defensive system than any other team out there right now which allows Beard type players to thrive. We definitely had good defensive players last year but I'm 100% certain we will be talking about different players next year defensively in the same regards as we talked about Owens, Mooney, and Culver. Beard is recruiting higher quality recruits now than we have ever had in the past. This Texas guy is dreaming if he thinks we are dropping off talent wise in any way. Last year should legitimately have been a drop off from the previous elite 8 appearance and we went to the Championship game. The biggest unknown is whether next years team will gel the same way the last two years have. Maybe one of Beard's best abilities is bringing a team together though.

The entire point of him mentioning Culver's importance on defense is to say we will slip back under Texas next season. He's looking for an excuse for us to not be as good its not to compliment us.

We simply have a better defensive system than any other team out there right now which allows Beard type players to thrive. We definitely had good defensive players last year but I'm 100% certain we will be talking about different players next year defensively in the same regards as we talked about Owens, Mooney, and Culver. Beard is recruiting higher quality recruits now than we have ever had in the past. This Texas guy is dreaming if he thinks we are dropping off talent wise in any way. Last year should legitimately have been a drop off from the previous elite 8 appearance and we went to the Championship game. The biggest unknown is whether next years team will gel the same way the last two years have. Maybe one of Beard's best abilities is bringing a team together though.

Basketball is all about having a player who can control both ends of the court
Jarrett Culver was that player. He is elite.

Culver is the reason you didn't drop off. I think Chris Beard can ultimately get back to that level but it won't be a for sure thing.

I still think Tech is one of the best 3 or 4 teams in the Big 12 and will be a Sweet 16 threat.

Basketball is all about having a player who can control both ends of the court
Jarrett Culver was that player. He is elite.

Culver is the reason you didn't drop off. I think Chris Beard can ultimately get back to that level but it won't be a for sure thing.

I still think Tech is one of the best 3 or 4 teams in the Big 12 and will be a Sweet 16 threat.

Ramsey is their next guy. But won’t be ready this year. Will be Moretti team.

This year in order:

KU
Tech
Baylor
ISU
Texas
Kstate
WVU
Okie state
TCU
OU

Last edited:
Ramsey is their next guy. But won’t be ready this year. Will be Moretti team.

This year in order:

KU
Tech
Baylor
ISU
Texas
Kstate
WVU
Okie state
TCU
OU
West Virginia is too low. They pretty much changed their entire lineup during the season and really started to play well down the stretch. Look at their run in the Big 12 tournament. Think they return about everyone that mattered during that run.

ADVERTISEMENT