ADVERTISEMENT

Semi Ojeleye/Coach K

RR30

Gold Member
Sep 16, 2013
Team
Kentucky
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...pave_semi_ojeleye_s_path_to_home_with_celtics

Some very interesting quotes in here, and not good optics for K at all. And yes before you start crying every coach has done this at some point. Doesn't make it any better.

DcNsPsBXUAEqgX-.jpg

DcNsQ2OU0AAQcIk.jpg

DcNsRnHWsAIQuox.jpg

I get it would be a pain in the ass dealing with parents of recruits/players, but I would be surprised if all coaches have shouted at a parent.

Reactions: keith37 and KisteK
Coaches should just schedule meetings are conversations with the parents every semester to talk about this stuff.

Initially I kind of rolled my eyes but with only 4 years of eligibility parents just wanna make sure that time is well spent. Can't blame them for that.

Reactions: KisteK
Anybody that watches K on the sidelines can tell he’s a prick. Granted, he’s a hell of a coach but comes off as a prick.
I remember a video where he drops a pen/marker. Waits for one of the managers to pick it up & then smacks it out of is hand again.

It might be a smear piece, given the source. You can’t trust Boston sports media for shit when they’re attacking on behalf of their own.

Regardless, it’s not a great look. I respect the kid for not airing it out in public though.

It doesn't look good, and certainly there have been other families that have had issues with the Duke Staff. The article, however, makes it sound like K blew up for no reason. Knowing how parents are fueled by emotions, I'm guessing they said things that more or less provoked him. K can be very blunt... and a little bit defensive, a little bit fiery. I'm sure there's more to this than just the Duke Staff being Satan 2.0

Ojeleye still follows Nate James on twitter (as well as most/all of his Duke teammates). Semi was supremely talented, not sure what happened there, but he seemed absolutely distraught with the lack of PT. He had very poor body language on the bench. He wasn't happy here, but I'm glad things have worked out in his favor.

Reactions: CardinalBoiler
Ernest Ojeleye was my primary doc in high school.

Still wonder why he dropped KU from consideration.

Coaches in high school shouldn’t have to explain playing time concerns to parents, let alone ones at high major colleges.

If they walked into their living room and promised playing time, as coaches often do, of course they have 'splaining to do. Especially when they're only playing a 7-man rotation.

Freshman year is one thing, but his playing time didn't increase the next year. Then he transfers and proves to be the best player in his league.

If they walked into their living room and promised playing time, as coaches often do, of course they have 'splaining to do. Especially when they're only playing a 7-man rotation.

Freshman year is one thing, but his playing time didn't increase the next year. Then he transfers and proves to be the best player in his league.
They can explain it to the player. Ojeleye was 20 years old - not some defenseless kid; he can have those discussions with the staff if he wants.

Definitely not. Everyone who works with kids knows parents are always completely objective and honest when it comes to their children. Everything in the article is 100% true, or likely even worse.

So why did he transfer? Better yet have K comment on it.

Reactions: RipThru
I mean, there have been stories about K being a dick at times to people and not really being too concerned with guys he doesn't favor. This isn't really that surprising but also not really anything that is going to hurt him or anything. So pretty much perfect for this place.

Where’s Semi now? I always thought he should’ve gone to KU. Not sure why he eliminated us so early.

Lol, shoulda been a Jayhawk.

After his transfer, didn't he stay in college for 4 years? He'd been royalty at home after 4 years.. jus sayin.

Only thing I remember about Semi is him being a quitter and missing out on a Natty at Duke. His loss.

Not a great look at all for Coach. That said, what a strange story... the mom fell to her knees in front of him to beg forgiveness? Huh? They sound like a really dramatic family or something.
Right? Coach K breaking into “You’re ok, you’re ok, you’re ok, you’re ok” actually makes it somewhat believable because it sounds like it freaked him the **** out.

Right? Coach K breaking into “You’re ok, you’re ok, you’re ok, you’re ok” actually makes it somewhat believable because it sounds like it freaked him the **** out.

Yeah, totally... it's very strange.

I always hate when a kid leaves Duke. I adored it so much, it's hard when someone else doesn't find the joy there. Plus you always hope that your program and coach and staff and everything can be great for everyone. But I suppose that's not the way the world works.

Talented kid doesn't play early....he is upset....parents get upset......coach doesn't appreciate his coaching judgment being questioned while having successful season. Sounds like every coach I've had since 1st grade. The only strange thing about the entire story is a parent getting on their knees and begging for forgiveness.

Talented kid doesn't play early....he is upset....parents get upset......coach doesn't appreciate his coaching judgment being questioned while having successful season. Sounds like every coach I've had since 1st grade. The only strange thing about the entire story is a parent getting on their knees and begging for forgiveness.
That's one hell of a spin, toonces.

ADVERTISEMENT