ADVERTISEMENT

Rick Pitino...

AuHoosier420

Gold Member
Oct 9, 2008
dude is such a stud. He won with coaching at kentucky and louisville much more than with talent.

Reactions: boaty4
The only title Pitino won at UK (1996), the team had 9 players that played in the NBA...what are you even talking about?
antoine walker is the only player that did anything on that team in the nba

antoine walker is the only player that did anything on that team in the nba
That is 100% irrelevant.. the point is Pitino had 9 NBA players on his team that were dominant against most college competition because of their sheer athleticism and skill. So what you said at the beginning is completely false.

What they did or didn't do in the NBA is completely irrelevant.

That is 100% irrelevant.. the point is Pitino had 9 NBA players on his team that were dominant against most college competition because of their sheer athleticism and skill. So what you said at the beginning is completely false.

What they did or didn't do in the NBA is completely irrelevant.
pitino is the 2nd best kentucky coach of all time

petrino-pitino.gif

The only title Pitino won at UK (1996), the team had 9 players that played in the NBA...what are you even talking about?
Probably talking about the , 1990, 1991 and 1992 teams. Dude went .500 with Richie Farmer, Deron Feldhaus, John Pephrey, Jeff Brassow, Sean Woods....10-8 in the SEC.

1991---Same team, wit the addition of Mash. 22-6. Ranked 9th. And would have been a problem in the NCAAT. He won the SEC with 6 farmers and a city kid.

His coaching led to him getting those kids that led to that 1996 team....and 97 team.

Hence, he won with his coaching----Which he did. No other coach probably could have done what he did @ Kentucky. Saved the program.

Reactions: RD_Gator
Probably talking about the , 1990, 1991 and 1992 teams. Dude went .500 with Richie Farmer, Deron Feldhaus, John Pephrey, Jeff Brassow, Sean Woods....10-8 in the SEC.

1991---Same team, wit the addition of Mash. 22-6. Ranked 9th. And would have been a problem in the NCAAT. He won the SEC with 6 farmers and a city kid.

His coaching led to him getting those kids that led to that 1996 team....and 97 team.

Hence, he won with his coaching----Which he did. No other coach probably could have done what he did @ Kentucky. Saved the program.
Just look at what the dude did at iona and now st. Johns. He has more all time wins than coach K had he not taken that celtics job.

Reactions: boaty4
Sad stat of the day;

Calipari has dropped his 45th game in 5 years at UK.
Pitino lost 50 his entire UK tenure

That’s a convenient comparison, but how about you share some stats that matter. Go ahead, compare their number of draft picks. I’m waiting.
Draft picks are a neat follow-up to a successful year only. I’m firmly on the wagon of “all that talent, no results.”

Reactions: cdbearde
Pitino broke my heart when he left UK. Never disliked him. Only mourned him, but eventually had to move on from him. Was excited about Cal’s first half of his time at UK, but I eventually had to move on from him too. Started around 2017 for me

Pitino broke my heart when he left UK. Never disliked him. Only mourned him, but eventually had to move on from him. Was excited about Cal’s first half of his time at UK, but I eventually had to move on from him too. Started around 2017 for me
I used to love watching those UK teams put the press defense on under Pitino

Rick Pitino never won anything at UK until he had 9 NBA players. Nothing. That is a fact.

As a UK fan, I am grateful for how he got UK back on track in the early 90s. He helped to restore UKs program.

But he won nothing until he basically had a bench of NBA players...

Rick Pitino never won anything at UK until he had 9 NBA players. Nothing. That is a fact.

As a UK fan, I am grateful for how he got UK back on track in the early 90s. He helped to restore UKs program.

So are you arguing that pitino is not an elite, HOF, all time great cbb coach?

I'd joke that pitino prolly banged your mom... But it might actually be true.

So are you arguing that pitino is not an elite, HOF, all time great cbb coach?

I'd joke that pitino prolly banged your mom... But it might actually be true.
Where did I ever say that?

BTW my mom passed away not too long ago, so I don't take too kindly to jokes at her expense...

You don't get it...

1990---He had Farmer, Feldhaus, Woods, Pelphrey----and went 14-14. 10-8.

1991---Adds just Mashburn....Goes 22-6. WON the SEC(14-4). He won the SEC starting Pelphrey, Feldhaus, Farmer, etc...

And basically the same shit in 92-----and took Duke to the wire.

That is coaching. Rather he won anything in those first three years is IRRELEVANT. His coaching set the table for 93-97.

So yes, his coaching played a huge role in that 1996 title-----most of it just happened to be 4 years earlier.

Its not a hard concept. Had he gone 14-14, 19-13, 20-14....With no success----its very probable the Walkers, Mercer's, Anderson's, etc...., never set foot in Lexington.

You don't get it...

1990---He had Farmer, Feldhaus, Woods, Pelphrey----and went 14-14. 10-8.

1991---Adds just Mashburn....Goes 22-6. WON the SEC(14-4). He won the SEC starting Pelphrey, Feldhaus, Farmer, etc...

And basically the same shit in 92-----and took Duke to the wire.

That is coaching. Rather he won anything in those first three years is IRRELEVANT. His coaching set the table for 93-97.

So yes, his coaching played a huge role in that 1996 title-----most of it just happened to be 4 years earlier.

Its not a hard concept. Had he gone 14-14, 19-13, 20-14....With no success----its very probable the Walkers, Mercer's, Anderson's, etc...., never set foot in Lexington.
I never said the guy wasn't a good coach. He is a hall of famer, and well deserved.

The point is he never won a title until he had top end talent (9 NBA guys)...it doesn't matter what he needed to do to get to that point to get those guys to come to UK. He could never win the big one until he had 9 NBA players.

Also, he crapped down his leg against Duke in 1992 by refusing to guard the inbounds pass. Absolute coaching malpractice...on the biggest stage.

We can agree to disagree, not a big deal.

I never said the guy wasn't a good coach. He is a hall of famer, and well deserved.

The point is he never won a title until he had top end talent (9 NBA guys)...it doesn't matter what he needed to do to get to that point to get those guys to come to UK. He could never win the big one until he had 9 NBA players.

Also, he crapped down his leg against Duke in 1992 by refusing to guard the inbounds pass. Absolute coaching malpractice...on the biggest stage.

We can agree to disagree, not a big deal.
I just think the foundation he set early, led to what he won later. He doesn't land that talent if he's meh early in his tenure.

As for the DUke, game....I mean, for UK to even be in that position was Pitino. To pick at one play, and ignore the other 39 minutes and 59 seconds is sort of silly.

He had 9 NBA dudes....Sure. BUt lets not pretend like he had Calipari type of NBA talent.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
ADVERTISEMENT