ADVERTISEMENT

PurDont losing grasp of their number 1 seed

I'll be interested to see what happens if they play an uptempo offense in the tournament.

Baylor was my preseason pick, and with the return of JTT, I still feel good about that pick.

Wish I had put some money on it.

The only time Painter has ever advanced to an elite 8 was the year he beat us and we know Barnes struggles in the tourney. I'd say based on history Sweet 16 is their ceiling
Going into the year and knowing our starting backcourt was two freshmen ranked outside the top 100, I’d have agreed. Now, it’s all about the matchups and whether officials call it fairly on Edey. We could easily lose early if those don’t go in our favor.

The fact that our flawed team ever got to 22-1 speaks volumes about the state of basketball.
Well coached team especially considering the youth they rely on, but limited athletes especially on wings. Appreciate over achievers though.

Going into the year and knowing our starting backcourt was two freshmen ranked outside the top 100, I’d have agreed. Now, it’s all about the matchups and whether officials call it fairly on Edey. We could easily lose early if those don’t go in our favor.
I've been saying all along the all freshman backcourt scares the crap out of me come tourney time. Can they be consistent and good for 7 straight games in March under that pressure? And we all know that guards are the key to march mardness success.

Right now I think they're fine. As of today, #1 seeds in my mind would be Houston, Alabama, Kansas, and Purdue.

Margin for error is growing smaller, however. Tennessee, Arizona, Texas, Baylor, and UCLA aren't that far behind. If any of those 5 schools is able to run the table and not lose before the tournament, I'd expect them to bump someone off the 1 line.

Reactions: snowsquirrel11
We hear this every year. Even if it’s true, the statement has lost meaning.

Apparently a team has to be an all-time great to get his attention.

Personally, I think his standards are kinda low. If your team isn't the undisputed GOAT, I'm not watching.

I love Purdue if you make a final four. But you’re right on the officiating. Teams that play a traditional style with a dominant big man may be very successful throughout the year, but they struggle in the tourney. It’s why Self went away from that style years ago and has had far fewer upsets since. They just don’t call it the same in the tourney.

aka Purpoo

I still think they are the best team overall, although the recent losses are head-scratchers, on the road or not. It's hard to believe NW and Maryland are #2 and #3 in the Big 10 at this point though.

I don’t think I’ve actually seen a full game of Derpity-due yet this year.

At least Virginia now has someone else to share that dubious distinction with. As bad as yesterday was for them they can take some solace in this Purdue loss. @jhmossy
Also, Virginia has actually won a title under Bennett.

Purdue hasn't even sniffed a final 4 in almost 50 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Purdue losing their grasp on any sort of pride and legitimacy
Eh, they have a great history. Their March record is trash, and it’ll be a bit of a joke and no doubt a sore subject for their fans. However, will Tennessee become a better all-time program than Purdue if they cut down the nets this year “because they have a title” or whatever? Guess it’s debatable, but I say absolutely not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT