ADVERTISEMENT

Would this be on of the easiest draws for a 1 seed all time?

ABVolsFan92

Gold Member
May 31, 2012

1 seed Tennessee
2 seed Arizona
3 seed Iowa St
4 seed SDSU
5 seed BYU
6 seed Clemson
7 seed Nevada
8 seed Boise St

As much as I like to down Clemson they may be our toughest matchup here. Arizona and Iowa st both have early exit energy to me

1 seed Tennessee
2 seed Arizona
3 seed Iowa St
4 seed SDSU
5 seed BYU
6 seed Clemson
7 seed Nevada
8 seed Boise St

As much as I like to down Clemson they may be our toughest matchup here. Arizona and Iowa st both have early exit energy to me
Iowa St. is damn dangerous.

I could see Clemson ultimately upsetting both Iowa St and Zona and us playing neither of them
Yep Clemson is very legit and capable of making it to even the Elite 8 with the right draw. Their guards are experienced and their big man PJ Hall is a unique matchup nightmare.

Reactions: ABVolsFan92
Stop it Rod, Iowa St. can't score worth a damn. They rely on playing pesky D, cashing in on turnovers and hitting some timely shots plus Hilton magic.

Iowa St has the most unbalanced schedule I've ever seen in my life and they've benefited from the fact that the Big 12 is considered an elite conference. Their NCSOS is terrible and their best wins are beating Houston at home, Kansas at home and BYU at home.

Iowa St avoided playing Baylor who they lost to a 2nd time, Kansas @ Phog, etc.

They lost to VT and Texas A&M on neutral sites in the nonconference which aren't terrible losses but eye opening.

are they though? they are super gritty and play great defense but tend to go on scoring droughts. They are a top 10 team at home but look different on the road and neutral sites
Well, we are talking final four here. Everyone knows Tennessee won’t be there. That’s not something they do.

are they though? they are super gritty and play great defense but tend to go on scoring droughts. They are a top 10 team at home but look different on the road and neutral sites
Iowa St. loses in the 1st Round to a 15 seed mark it down. Ok maybe that's bold but this is the exact type of team that is vulnerable to an early exit.

They'll lose by double digits to one of the 10 true contenders on a neutral court imo unless the contender has a really cold shooting night.

Stop it Rod, Iowa St. can't score worth a damn. They rely on playing pesky D, cashing in on turnovers and hitting some timely shots plus Hilton magic.

Iowa St has the most unbalanced schedule I've ever seen in my life and they've benefited from the fact that the Big 12 is considered an elite conference.

Are you saying the Big 12 isn't an elite conference?

Their NCSOS is terrible and their best wins are beating Houston at home, Kansas at home and BYU at home.

Iowa St avoided playing Baylor who they lost to a 2nd time, Kansas @ Phog, etc.

They lost to VT and Texas A&M on neutral sites in the nonconference which aren't terrible losses but eye opening.

Now apply the same logic to Duke. You're being a little inconsistent, dude.

Iowa St has better wins and better losses than Duke, and the same record vs a much tougher schedule. And if Duke's loss to Arkansas in November isn't eye-opening, then early losses to A&M and VT shouldn't be either.

Not sure these points are very valid. Tenn has a tendency to go on scoring droughts too, and they're 0-2 against good teams on neutral courts.

You're right, we could get our ass kicked by any number of those teams or win them. Btw, I'm finished on dishing on SCAR. Good luck the rest of the way and Paris deserves National coach of the year.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Not sure these points are very valid. Tenn has a tendency to go on scoring droughts too, and they're 0-2 against good teams on neutral courts.
we should have beat Purdue and us and Kansas are very different teams than when we played early in the year. We'd most likely beat Iowa st by 10-12 points

we should have beat Purdue and us and Kansas are very different teams than when we played early in the year. We'd most likely beat Iowa st by 10-12 points
Tap the breaks AB. We could have lost to the barn or the bammers recently.

• Haha
There are no easy draws. As an Arizona fan I've also stopped predicting our tourney chances anymore but I will say that with the S16 / Elite 8 in Los Angeles, Tennessee would be essentially be playing a road game with hostile fans if SDSU and Arizona make it that far

There are no easy draws. As an Arizona fan I've also stopped predicting our tourney chances anymore but I will say that with the S16 / Elite 8 in Los Angeles, Tennessee would be essentially be playing a road game with hostile fans if SDSU and Arizona make it that far since it's so close
I think we'd struggle with Zona if they did make it that far because it'd mean yall had won 3 games to get there. I'm more thinking about Zona being knocked out before they got to us. In this scenario we could only meet in the elite 8

Reactions: F-Duke
Are you saying the Big 12 isn't an elite conference?
No I think the Big 12 is the best conference. I think I didn't phrase what I was trying to express well but I basically think they got an unbalanced schedule that skewed in their favor a bit in the Big 12 plus they're basically unbeatable at home in Hilton.

Their 24-6 record is well deserved but I think their offense is too inconsistent and they don't have a go to guy in clutch situations or to stop scoring droughts like the other top teams which is important in a tournament setting.

Now apply the same logic to Duke. You're being a little inconsistent, dude.

Iowa St has better wins and better losses than Duke, and the same record vs a much tougher schedule. And if Duke's loss to Arkansas in November isn't eye-opening, then early losses to A&M and VT shouldn't be either.
I completely agree that Iowa St has a better resume than Duke and deserves a higher seed for now.

I only brought up the A&M and VT neutral site losses to further illustrate the point that they don't have marquee wins away from home and in the Nonconference which is a bit troublesome.

Their Houston win at home is better than anything Duke has but beyond their next best wins are taking care of other really good teams in Hilton like Kansas and BYU.

They've won all the games they were supposed to so kudos to them.

But does your eye test tell you that in a neutral court setting, Iowa St is as big of a threat to go to the Final 4 as Baylor, Duke, UNC, Marquette with a healthy Tyler Kolek and Creighton???

Reactions: englandnu
No I think the Big 12 is the best conference. I think I didn't phrase what I was trying to express well but I basically think they got an unbalanced schedule that skewed in their favor a bit in the Big 12 plus they're basically unbeatable at home in Hilton.

Their 24-6 record is well deserved but I think their offense is too inconsistent and they don't have a go to guy in clutch situations or to stop scoring droughts like the other top teams which is important in a tournament setting.

I completely agree that Iowa St has a better resume than Duke and deserves a higher seed for now.

I only brought up the A&M and VT neutral site losses to further illustrate the point that they don't have marquee wins away from home and in the Nonconference which is a bit troublesome.

Their Houston win at home is better than anything Duke has but beyond their next best wins are taking care of other really good teams in Hilton like Kansas and BYU.

They've won all the games they were supposed to so kudos to them.

But does your eye test tell you that in a neutral court setting, Iowa St is as big of a threat to go to the Final 4 as Baylor, Duke, UNC, Marquette with a healthy Tyler Kolek and Creighton???

That's fair. I was mainly taking issue with the comments that they'll lose by double digits to any other contender and might not survive a 15 seed. I don't buy that. They're not elite offensively but they're very elite defensively, and they have a coach who's already experienced some success in the tourney with a lesser team. Guy took over a team that won two games the previous year AND lost all their top players, and he won 22 games in his first year and went to the Sweet 16. With a roster that was way, way worse offensively than this one.

I think they're pretty dangerous, largely because that guy can flat out coach. They're better than the sum of their parts.

1 seed Tennessee
2 seed Arizona
3 seed Iowa St
4 seed SDSU
5 seed BYU
6 seed Clemson
7 seed Nevada
8 seed Boise St

This is a gift for Tennessee. Every game they should win

Tennessee is a historical early exit energy program, though.

I'd treat it as how would you match up against every team in your region if you had to play them, as opposed to wishful thinking..................
yes we are but this year we have the best Guard in the nation. If Iowa St or Arizona had Knecht I'd have them going deep

Still think this would be an easy path, OP?
MM7795_100617_00642-Edit-2_082c4455-bf10-4016-b211-958df9042fae_300x.jpg

I don't think he does.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT