ADVERTISEMENT

posters who graduated from their school should get special badges.

WeAreDePaul

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2017
I think this place would be better if you could easily identify who went to a particular school and who didn't. Personally, I think people that graduated from a school have more street cred than someone who is just a fan of that school. I'd like to be able to identify who is who so I can treat people differently based on if they went to the school or not. Also I should get an extra special badge because I have 2 degrees from DePaul (BA, JD).

And stylistically speaking, don't make the badges look like gold stars that we wear on our sleeves. Me and @jhmossy wouldn't like that.

Mods?

What about posters who root for more than one team?

you only get the badge for the school you graduated from. I root for LSU, but never set foot on the campus. For our purposes I would be in the lowest class of LSU fans for our caste system.

I think this place would be better if you could easily identify who went to a particular school and who didn't. Personally, I think people that graduated from a school have more street cred than someone who is just a fan of that school. I'd like to be able to identify who is who so I can treat people differently based on if they went to the school or not. Also I should get an extra special badge because I have 2 degrees from DePaul (BA, JD).

And stylistically speaking, don't make the badges look like gold stars that we wear on our sleeves. Me and @jhmossy wouldn't like that.

Mods?
And you can only post on threads that the topic of discussion is the school you attended.

Seems fair to me.

Mods?
Seems odd. I grew up 5 minutes from the campus of the school I root for, but had the opportunity to go somewhere that was better for me. I still root for my hometown team. The memories as a kid of going to home games will never fade, just like my fandom.

UNC grads be like...
tenor.gif

I would have Oregon State and Western Kentucky badges. 😬 Although, OSU did win back-to-back baseball titles when I was there. GO BEAVS. 😆

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
I grew up an Illini fan because I was born in Illinois, and I chose my college on much more practical grounds (mostly financial, as I was by then in another state). That decision didn’t really affect my love for the Orange and Blue, so I’ll pass on accepting a badge. :)

P.S. I’m currently at DePaul for grad school, so I definitely root for them, too, and I always will from now on!

I grew up an Illini fan because I was born in Illinois, and I chose my college on much more practical grounds (mostly financial, as I was by then in another state). That decision didn’t really affect my love for the Orange and Blue, so I’ll pass on accepting a badge. :)

P.S. I’m currently at DePaul for grad school, so I definitely root for them, too, and I always will from now on!
People have tried to make the argument on here that if you attended the school you are a fan of it makes you more of a fan. Sorry, I didn't choose my schools based on my fanhood. Why would I go to a school known for pharmacy if I want to be a lawyer? 😆

People have tried to make the argument on here that if you attended the school you are a fan of it makes you more of a fan. Sorry, I didn't choose my schools based on my fanhood. Why would I go to a school known for pharmacy if I want to be a lawyer? 😆

But you're missing out on that cool badge. :D

Mods?
You bragging about having two ("2") degrees from DePaul is like me bragging about having a 3" penis. Sure, it's great but then everyone with a small penis would feel insecure.

I wish people understood how annoying many Michigan alumni are. It’s the Walmart wolverines drinking a beer at your tailgate shooting the shit. It’s the Michigan alumni drinking Starbucks calling MSU “little brother” and acting like we are in Ohio State’s stratosphere.

Alumni have a different connection to the school. Doesn’t make anyone’s fan hood less legitimate but it’s a different relationship
Really? Like I said earlier, I grew up in West Lafayette literally 5 min from the Purdue campus. My high school was filled with professors kids and was across the street from Ross Ade Stadium. My mom still lives in town although she moved a little farther away and is now neighbors with Matt Painter (~15 min from campus). I remember going to most home games from when I was in 3rd grade until I left for college. My love for Purdue has been for pretty much all my life while there are many alumni that started being fans at the age of 18. I chose to take a better opportunity in the northeast for college, but Purdue bball and football are my first loves in sports and that will never change despite the decades of heartbreak. Maybe there should be an exception for “townies” that chose to go elsewhere for whatever reason.

Really? Like I said earlier, I grew up in West Lafayette literally 5 min from the Purdue campus. My high school was filled with professors kids and was across the street from Ross Ade Stadium. My mom still lives in town although she moved a little farther away and is now neighbors with Matt Painter (~15 min from campus). I remember going to most home games from when I was in 3rd grade until I left for college. My love for Purdue has been for pretty much all my life while there are many alumni that started being fans at the age of 18. I chose to take a better opportunity in the northeast for college, but Purdue bball and football are my first loves in sports and that will never change despite the decades of heartbreak. Maybe there should be an exception for “townies” that chose to go elsewhere for whatever reason.

Thought you were better than this

Don't have to explain anything to anyone here

Expect better, vulva

Thought you were better than this

Don't have to explain anything to anyone here

Expect better, vulva
It’s weird. West Lafayette high school probably sends about 50% to Purdue, 30% to IU, and the rest out of state or to one of the other in state school. I have several friends that went to IU and now root for IU. We went to Mackey together as little kids to watch the Three Amigos, middle school for the Big Dog, high school for Cardinal/Brad Miller/Chad Austin as diehard Boiler fans. It still astounds me that they root for IU now. Even if I went to IU (no way I was going to stay in state, east or west coast for me all the way), I would have stayed a Purdue fan.

Screw Illinois, you're a Blue Demon now.

First rule to being a DePaul guy: you hate Illinois.

What about posters who dropped out after 9/11 to join the Army and fight the War on Terror? I got a solid 3 semesters in! Should count!

Thank you for your service, much appreciated.

That said, rules are rules and the war on terror been over a long time. Go back and get your degree and you'll get that nice shiny TT badge.

I understand that, I really do, but I am just as big of fan. Okay, my wife has a degree and a Masters, so I am in.

:cool:
Looks like you married up CD. You're in as I see it.

I have seen some bammers I would swear never finished 8th grade and there is no denying their fandom of that filthy school down there.

• Haha
Reactions: cdbearde
Looks like you married up CD. You're in as I see it.

I have seen some bammers I would swear never finished 8th grade and there is no denying their fandom of that filthy school down there.
Yep, I married up, but I am her prince in shinning grey hair. 😂 😂 😂 😂

Rest easy....no one thinks you’re a bandwagoner. You’re a Purdue fan.

If you live in the state of Michigan and didn’t go to either college, you’re a UM fan. It’s just how it goes. I don’t know a lot of MSU fans who aren’t alumni, but I know plenty of UM fans who didn’t attend UM.

I have no problem with them liking UM, but man, there’s a large faction of people who have no relation to either school that love UM and actively root against MSU.

Well, my alma matter, UNCG, qualified for the dance tonight. I wasn't fast enough to run for an ACC school. I'll root for UNCG over any school in track/cross country, but they're second-fiddle for me in everything else. I was a pretty dedicated fan when I was in school. Pretty sure I went to every home game - and I'd even make the 5-6 hour roundtrip drive just to watch one of the games over winter break.

Best UNCG basketball moment was when Mike Dement laid into all five of the starters (Dement was actually a former assistant for Coach K). The opposing team went on a furious run, Dement called timeout, then he let them have it. The starters all sat down in their sits, in the middle of the court, with the bench players hovering behind them. Then Dement looked at each of them - and pointed within inches of their face, "WEAK (pointing to player 1)! WEAK (pointing to player 2)! WEAK (pointing to player 3)! WEAK (pointing to player 4)! WEAK (pointing to player 5)! You're all f**king weak!" I don't know why that was funny, it's probably just regular coach speak, but we were playing in a small gym at the time (not the Greensboro Coliseum), and it was very noticeable.

JMO, but I think you'd be hard press to find more than 4 or 5 Duke graduates in the past 20 years that have a greater knowledge of Duke basketball history than me. Some of the old-timers that were watching before I was born, certainly would. But, not too many folks under the age of 40.

ADVERTISEMENT