ADVERTISEMENT

Post Something Controversial ITT

Anyone who tucks in a polo shirt is a homo.

Any man who wears a jersey past college is a homo.

If you can only tie a 4 in hand knot, you love the cock.

• Haha
Reactions: Random UK Fan
Now we have two birds mating.
bf9aa42425efe08c627ad6862478e4f0.gif

New York State. Rochester and Syracuse. 10-15 over on the Thruway is the standard in the left lane; same for the other highways. You don’t normally end up with cars on your butt at that speed but a few dipshits will pop up every now and then.

I think Wojo is familiar with the Binghamton area and I’ve never noticed people drive any differently down there. I drove a lot for work and honestly 10-15 over is plenty in most states. I’ve driven a lot in Ohio and Pennsylvania. Usually traffic gets a little faster in the left lane around the large cities, like Boston, Philly, DC, Baltimore.
I split my time between Syracuse and Central Jersey, so I’m pretty aware of what you’re describing and the differences. I just don’t see it as relevant necessarily, if only 1 out of 1,000 cars is going faster than you and they’re behind you, YOU SHOULDN’T BE IN THE LEFT LANE.

I’m actually convinced that you’ve ruined my day in person on 81, 90, or 690 before now

Reactions: brooky03
I’m actually convinced that you’ve ruined my day in person on 81, 90, or 690 before now

Haha probably.

This is my perspective that is set in stone and won’t change: The thought of speeders who drive 20 over the speed limit is that they shouldn’t be policed by ‘slow’ drivers in the left lane. My counter to that is I shouldn’t be policed by their desire to drive excessively fast. We’re talking about speeds that would result in your license being pulled. By not moving over, I’m inconveniencing them. By forcing me to move over, they’re inconveniencing me. They can get in the right lane and pass over there (perfectly legal) if it means a lot to them.

NY (most states) don’t actually have laws on the books that you have to move over for faster traffic in the ‘passing lane’. Usually, if they have specific language for it, it’s that you should be passing traffic that’s in the right lane (I am) and you shouldn’t impede the flow of traffic (one dude going 90 doesn’t count as the ‘flow of traffic’).

I don’t like slow drivers in the left lane either. I’m not going to classify the speed that’s right up to the limit of what will earn you a speeding ticket as ‘slow,’ though.

You pass on the left. That is a common rule and is the safest rule of thumb. If you are in the left lane and someone is coming up on you and you decide to move over at the same time they commit to passing you on the right, that causes an unnecessary danger. You can say all you want that they shouldn't have been going so fast, doesn't change the fact that you should have been in the right lane unless actively passing someone. It doesn't surprise me that a flaming lib who thinks he is never wrong has zero highway etiquette.

Reactions: IUBtown
Haha probably.

This is my perspective that is set in stone and won’t change: The thought of speeders who drive 20 over the speed limit is that they shouldn’t be policed by ‘slow’ drivers in the left lane. My counter to that is I shouldn’t be policed by their desire to drive excessively fast. We’re talking about speeds that would result in your license being pulled. By not moving over, I’m inconveniencing them. By forcing me to move over, they’re inconveniencing me. They can get in the right lane and pass over there (perfectly legal) if it means a lot to them.

NY (most states) don’t actually have laws on the books that you have to move over for faster traffic in the ‘passing lane’. Usually, if they have specific language for it, it’s that you should be passing traffic that’s in the right lane (I am) and you shouldn’t impede the flow of traffic (one dude going 90 doesn’t count as the ‘flow of traffic’).

I don’t like slow drivers in the left lane either. I’m not going to classify the speed that’s right up to the limit of what will earn you a speeding ticket as ‘slow,’ though.
Left lane is the passing lane. If right lane is empty you shouldn't be in the left lane anyways. Once there's a gap you should be changing lanes to the right lane anyways. Has zero to do with speed vs speed limit and more to do with speed vs others vehicles speeds.

You pass on the left. That is a common rule and is the safest rule of thumb. If you are in the left lane and someone is coming up on you and you decide to move over at the same time they commit to passing you on the right, that causes an unnecessary danger. You can say all you want that they shouldn't have been going so fast, doesn't change the fact that you should have been in the right lane unless actively passing someone. It doesn't surprise me that a flaming lib who thinks he is never wrong has zero highway etiquette.

If only the traffic laws were written how you would like them to be written. Weaving in and out of traffic a hundred times on the highway is more of a risk than any of the alternatives.

Left lane is the passing lane. If right lane is empty you shouldn't be in the left lane anyways. Once there's a gap you should be changing lanes to the right lane anyways. Has zero to do with speed vs speed limit and more to do with speed vs others vehicles speeds.
If I’m traveling faster than right lane traffic, I’m at all times passing right lane traffic.

25 states, including New York, have language like this on the books: “Must keep right when slower than normal traffic.”

So, the idea that the left lane is just a ‘passing lane’ is not true in my state and half of the other states (including Red states, if you guys wanna do the ‘hippy lib’ thing). I’m always traveling faster than normal traffic.

I know we’re arguing convention rather than law, but that’s where the law stands.

If only the traffic laws were written how you would like them to be written. Weaving in and out of traffic a hundred times on the highway is more of a risk than any of the alternatives.
There wouldn't be any weaving in and out of traffic if dipshits weren't in the left lane while not actively passing someone. Surely you, who knows everything, know this?

The law has absolutely nothing to do with etiquette. It’s irrelevant if you’re traveling faster than right lane traffic, it’s relevant if you’re traveling faster than the car behind you. Openly saying that you determine the speed that is appropriate and that justifies you dictating the flow of traffic is absolutely bizarre, and entirely unsafe.

The law has absolutely nothing to do with etiquette. It’s irrelevant if you’re traveling faster than right lane traffic, it’s relevant if you’re traveling faster than the car behind you. Openly saying that you determine the speed that is appropriate and that justifies you dictating the flow of traffic is absolutely bizarre, and entirely unsafe.
Going 20 over and tailgating is unsafe. So at best, we’re talking about two wrongs. From the legal perspective, we’re talking about a right and a wrong.

I don’t apologize to selfish people. People who excessively speed are selfish. Maybe I’m selfish, too; I probably am. But that doesn’t change my opinion of other selfish people.
You are the selfish person.

There wouldn't be any weaving in and out of traffic if dipshits weren't in the left lane while not actively passing someone. Surely you, who knows everything, know this?

I would have to move between the left lane and the right lane literally 100 times between Rochester and Syracuse based on the faulty logic that the left lane is only for ‘actively passing,’ whatever the hell that means.

I would have to move between the left lane and the right lane literally 100 times between Rochester and Syracuse based on the faulty logic that the left lane is only for ‘actively passing,’ whatever the hell that means.
That's not weaving in and out of traffic, ree ree. That's changing lanes. Which is not dangerous.

Thought experiment: How many other instances in life is one expected by etiquette to yield to somebody flagrantly breaking the law?

Going 20 over and tailgating is unsafe. So at best, we’re talking about two wrongs. From the legal perspective, we’re talking about a right and a wrong.
You have no legal ground here since that goes out the window once you exceed the speed limit, and you are not the law, so it’s irrelevant. There are plenty of cops on the thruway to worry about this.

Your solution is to compound the issue, dig your heels in, and make an already unsafe situation more dangerous? Force the person going 20 over to either tailgate, or pass you on the right, creating considerably more dangerous conditions. You’re trying to adopt a strange, self-righteous approach here, but you’re the one escalating the threat.

You’re never going to change the habits of the person tailgating, you’re just putting everybody at increased danger.

Thought experiment: How many other instances in life is one expected by etiquette to yield to somebody flagrantly breaking the law?
You’re already going what, 10-15 MPH over the speed limit? Of course that’s common, but it’s strange to cling to this when you’re also going a ticketable speed.

You have no legal ground here since that goes out the window once you exceed the speed limit, and you are not the law, so it’s irrelevant. There are plenty of cops on the thruway to worry about this.

Your solution is to compound the issue, dig your heels in, and make an already unsafe situation more dangerous? Force the person going 20 over to either tailgate, or pass you on the right, creating considerably more dangerous conditions. You’re trying to adopt a strange, self-righteous approach here, but you’re the one escalating the threat.

You’re never going to change the habits of the person tailgating, you’re just putting everybody at increased danger.
The person driving recklessly can slow down.

Again, I owe nothing to the person breaking the law. If they want to speed, that’s for them to do. If they want to speed and expect me to accommodate them, that’s something else entirely.

it’s a self-centered work view to decide you get to assume the risks of driving somewhere as fast as you please AND others are obligated to allow you to do that and go out of their way to allow it.

I don’t usually let people cut me in line at the checkout. Do you guys?

The person driving recklessly can slow down.

Again, I owe nothing to the person breaking the law. If they want to speed, that’s for them to do. If they want to speed and expect me to accommodate them, that’s something else entirely.

it’s a Def-centered work view to assume you get to assume the risks of driving somewhere as fast as you please AND others are obligated to allow you to do that and go out of their way to allow it.
But they won’t slow down, the only thing you’re accomplishing is putting others around at an increased risk. Which, I guess is fine since it means you don’t have to change lanes.

The self-centered view is making it just about you, and the person on your tail. You see it as you don’t have to move, and they can slow down. Your entire view of the situation is how it relates to you, even if it puts everybody else at risk. The person going 85 is absolutely just as selfish. I’m certainly not debating that - both parties in this situation are thinking only about themselves.

Reactions: GhostOf301
I don’t apologize to selfish people. People who excessively speed are selfish. Maybe I’m selfish, too; I probably am. But that doesn’t change my opinion of other selfish people.
I am a notorious slow driver and don't speed according to the traffic signs. However, not everyone in the far left lane is driving the speed limit. If you drive the speed limit in the far left lane, then I apologize for thinking you're an asshole that just drives the the left lane with no f&cks given for those around them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT