ADVERTISEMENT

Post draft deadline top 25s?

I’m not as confident as I was before today. Kansas and Kentucky got their guys back. Nwora is back.

I’d still have MSU 1 but it isn’t as clear as it was. There is definitely room for debate.

Still a little early, but I'll go with this for now...

1. Michigan State
2. Kentucky
3. Kansas
4. Duke
5. Louisville
6. Texas Tech
7. UNC
8. Memphis
9. Maryland
10. Villanova
11. Ohio State
12. LSU
13. Seton Hall
14. Florida
15. Arizona
16. Saint Mary's
17. Baylor
18. Gonzaga
19. VCU
20. Utah State
21. Purdue
22. Oklahoma
23. Virginia
24. Illinois
25. Marquette

1. Michigan State
2. Kentucky
3. Kansas
4. Duke
5. Louisville
6. Texas Tech
7. UNC
8. Memphis
9. Maryland
10. Villanova
11. Ohio State
12. LSU
13. Seton Hall
14. Florida
15. Arizona
16. Saint Mary's
17. Baylor
18. Gonzaga
19. VCU
20. Utah State
21. Purdue
22. Oklahoma
23. Virginia
24. Illinois
25. Marquette

Not sure KU deserves #3 yet, but they’re not done either. Not a really strong field on paper though.

Losing Tucker was a big blow for Memphis. I think he would’ve made them a solid top 5.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Not sure KU deserves #3 yet, but they’re not done either. Not a really strong field on paper though.

Losing Tucker was a big blow for Memphis. I think he would’ve made them a solid top 5.

I'm semi-assuming they'll land Jalen Wilson. But even still, nice group of talented players returning in Dotson, Agbaji, Garrett, De Sousa, and Azubuike

Reactions: KisteK

1. Michigan State
2. Kentucky
3. Kansas
4. Duke
5. Louisville
6. Texas Tech
7. UNC
8. Memphis
9. Maryland
10. Villanova
11. Ohio State
12. LSU
13. Seton Hall
14. Florida
15. Arizona
16. Saint Mary's
17. Baylor
18. Gonzaga
19. VCU
20. Utah State
21. Purdue
22. Oklahoma
23. Virginia
24. Illinois
25. Marquette
I'd drop Maryland and OSU a bit and remove Purdue and Illinois from the rankings.

Of course you would
Sorry not sorry if it hurts your feelings. I could have said drop Purdue one spot and I would have had some Purdue fan crying about it. LOL.

I don't think Purdue deserves to be in the preseason Top 25. Outside of MSU and maybe OSU, I think the B10 is gonna be weak. Maybe it's because we lost so much and don't bring in a ton of top tier talent. But for Purdue specifically, they lose a ton of offensive production and don't have any proven scorers/shooters or bring in any instant impact type guys. They may crack the Top 25 in the season, but for the preseason poll, I don't think they should be there. All in all, I think my point is I will believe it when I see it with Purdue given what they lost.

Last edited:
Reactions: kl40504
I'd drop Maryland and OSU a bit and remove Purdue and Illinois from the rankings.

They lose Bruno, but just about everyone else is back. Maryland looks awfully talented. I could see Jalen Smith making one of the All-American teams.

Ohio State has a nice combo of solid vets + talented freshmen. They should be a force.

As far as Purdue, I'm looking at the advanced statistics, and every returning players has a player efficiency rating north of 16. An average PER is 15, so that should be very encouraging. Just need a higher usage rate. Throw in the grad transfer from High Point, and they should still be a top 25 team.... Illinois has a very elite backcourt in Dosunmu and Frazier. They played much better in the latter-half of the season. Not completely sold on Illinois, but I think they're promising.

1. Michigan State
2. Kentucky
3. Kansas
4. Duke
5. Louisville
6. Texas Tech
7. UNC
8. Memphis
9. Maryland
10. Villanova
11. Ohio State
12. LSU
13. Seton Hall
14. Florida
15. Arizona
16. Saint Mary's
17. Baylor
18. Gonzaga
19. VCU
20. Utah State
21. Purdue
22. Oklahoma
23. Virginia
24. Illinois
25. Marquette

Where is Indiana? Lololol

Reactions: B-Westy and kl40504
They lose Bruno, but just about everyone else is back. Maryland looks awfully talented. I could see Jalen Smith making one of the All-American teams.

Ohio State has a nice combo of solid vets + talented freshmen. They should be a force.

As far as Purdue, I'm looking at the advanced statistics, and every returning players has a player efficiency rating north of 16. An average PER is 15, so that should be very encouraging. Just need a higher usage rate. Throw in the grad transfer from High Point, and they should still be a top 25 team.... Illinois has a very elite backcourt in Dosunmu and Frazier. They played much better in the latter-half of the season. Not completely sold on Illinois, but I think they're promising.
No arguing Maryland and OSU. I think both will be very solid teams. Not sold on Illinois or Purdue. Both could be good, but I'm in a wait and see mentality.

As for Purdue, I think it's going to be interesting to see how they manage without two guys drawing every ounce of attention in Cline and Edwards. It'll be interesting to see what happens to those PER stats now that Edwards and Cline are gone. They lose over 70% of their 3pt shooting and a big chunk of their scoring. The plus side is I think they will be solid defensively which could be the equalizer for losing so much offensively. They don't bring in any instant impact recruits, either. I see them as a solid team, but not a preseason Top 25 team.

Last edited:

1. Michigan State
2. Kentucky
3. Kansas
4. Duke
5. Louisville
6. Texas Tech
7. UNC
8. Memphis
9. Maryland
10. Villanova
11. Ohio State
12. LSU
13. Seton Hall
14. Florida
15. Arizona
16. Saint Mary's
17. Baylor
18. Gonzaga
19. VCU
20. Utah State
21. Purdue
22. Oklahoma
23. Virginia
24. Illinois
25. Marquette

Oklahoma???

They certainly wouldn't have been 26th or 27th, I can tell you that much.

Notable omissions would be Florida State, NC State, TCU, Texas, Creighton, Xavier, Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, Oregon, Washington, Arizona State, USC, Auburn, Tennessee, Alabama, Ole Miss, Miss State, San Diego State, Davidson, Cincinnati, and Houston.

Oklahoma???

Didn't realize they had that many seniors. I'd probably drop them from the top 25, after further consideration. Insert Creighton or Auburn, perhaps.

Reactions: hawkit3113

They certainly wouldn't have been 26th or 27th, I can tell you that much.

Notable omissions would be Florida State, NC State, TCU, Texas, Creighton, Xavier, Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, Oregon, Washington, Arizona State, USC, Auburn, Tennessee, Alabama, Ole Miss, Miss State, San Diego State, Davidson, Cincinnati, and Houston.

Oklahoma???

Didn't realize they had that many seniors. I'd probably drop them from the top 25, after further consideration. Insert Creighton or Auburn, perhaps.

They’ll be decent but not top 25 barnburners

1. Michigan State
2. Kentucky
3. Kansas
4. Duke
5. Louisville
6. Texas Tech
7. UNC
8. Memphis
9. Maryland
10. Villanova
11. Ohio State
12. LSU
13. Seton Hall
14. Florida
15. Arizona
16. Saint Mary's
17. Baylor
18. Gonzaga
19. VCU
20. Utah State
21. Purdue
22. Oklahoma
23. Virginia
24. Illinois
25. Marquette

No respect to the defending champs lol

No respect to the defending champs lol

Yup! You guys have a really solid frontcourt, but not a whole lot of experience in the backcourt. I had you guys at one spot higher than Jeff Goodman, however.

Oh, and go ahead and bump UVA up to #22. I'm kicking OU out of my top 25...

22. Virginia
23. Illinois
24. Marquette
25. Auburn

Reactions: jhmossy
Yup! You guys have a really solid frontcourt, but not a whole lot of experience in the backcourt. I had you guys at one spot higher than Jeff Goodman, however.

Yeah I think it's reasonable. For once in a long time, UVA will be able to say "we'll be better in March than we are in November"

Sorry not sorry if it hurts your feelings. I could have said drop Purdue one spot and I would have had some Purdue fan crying about it. LOL.

I don't think Purdue deserves to be in the preseason Top 25. Outside of MSU and maybe OSU, I think the B10 is gonna be weak. Maybe it's because we lost so much and don't bring in a ton of top tier talent. But for Purdue specifically, they lose a ton of offensive production and don't have any proven scorers/shooters or bring in any instant impact type guys. They may crack the Top 25 in the season, but for the preseason poll, I don't think they should be there. All in all, I think my point is I will believe it when I see it with Purdue given what they lost.
You say the same sht over and over every offseason, and then surprise, Purdue outperforms expectations. We shall see if the cycle continues.

You say the same sht over and over every offseason, and then surprise, Purdue outperforms expectations. We shall see if the cycle continues.
False. Purdue surprised LAST year and I was hardly the only one thinking they'd take a step back. Hell, even the majority of Purdue fans were surprised with their performance last year. Don't be a douche.

The years prior I called them finishing exactly where they did and getting bounced from the tourney exactly where they did.

It's not unreasonable to think Purdue isn't a Top 25 team at this point. Do me a favor. Why don't you explain to everyone in this thread why Purdue is a Top 25 team. Otherwise, you're just coming off as a pussy Purdue fanboy. Not a great look...

1. Michigan State
2. Kentucky
3. Kansas
4. Duke
5. Louisville
6. Texas Tech
7. UNC
8. Memphis
9. Maryland
10. Villanova
11. Ohio State
12. LSU
13. Seton Hall
14. Florida
15. Arizona
16. Saint Mary's
17. Baylor
18. Gonzaga
19. VCU
20. Utah State
21. Purdue
22. Oklahoma
23. Virginia
24. Illinois
25. Marquette

I think as of today, that's high for Florida. More like 20-25, and that may even be too optimistic. Now if Blackshear does transfer in and gets added to the mix, Top 10-15 is probably accurate...

They always have super-talented teams... but things always seem to fall apart with Shaka at helm. He's 31-41 in conference play during his tenure.

Yeah, no reason to have faith in Smart, but I still think they're a top 25 team. Some are picking them to win the league. Probably his best roster so far.

SNU, Purdue's roster could be equivalent to the '92 Dream Team and you'd want 'em removed from the top 100 !!!! Ain't foolin' no one.

1. Michigan State
2. Kentucky
3. Kansas
4. Duke
5. Louisville
6. Texas Tech
7. UNC
8. Memphis
9. Maryland
10. Villanova
11. Ohio State
12. LSU
13. Seton Hall
14. Florida
15. Arizona
16. Saint Mary's
17. Baylor
18. Gonzaga
19. VCU
20. Utah State
21. Purdue
22. Oklahoma
23. Virginia
24. Illinois
25. Marquette
I think UK is way too high. If I'm being completely honest, I'd put us around 15-20 range.

We're constantly ranked too high preseason and we end up falling in the polls at first, and working our way back up. Sure, we're returning more talent than most years, and of course we're bring in talent, but there's no reason to think we're top 10.

Out team this year will live or die depending on Maxey and Whitney. More so Whitney IMO. With all that said, I think Whitney has a chance of being the #1 pick in the next draft.

Last edited:
Wait. Some are picking Texas over KU and Texas Tech? Who are these people?

I don't think anyone is picking them but that is because of the last few seasons.
But Texas probably has the most talented roster in the Big 12 with an older experienced backcourt.

I would have them outside of the Top 25 but like I said before if they do win it will be big. They are a feast or famine team. Top 10 or bubble NCAA team.

False. Purdue surprised LAST year and I was hardly the only one thinking they'd take a step back. Hell, even the majority of Purdue fans were surprised with their performance last year. Don't be a douche.

The years prior I called them finishing exactly where they did and getting bounced from the tourney exactly where they did.

It's not unreasonable to think Purdue isn't a Top 25 team at this point. Do me a favor. Why don't you explain to everyone in this thread why Purdue is a Top 25 team. Otherwise, you're just coming off as a pussy Purdue fanboy. Not a great look...
For the same reason that ESPN, SI, CBS, and a host of other sites have Purdue in their preseason rankings. Everyone on this board knows that all you have is hate for Purdue since your program continues to be a dumpster fire. Keep hating.

I think UK is way too high. If I'm being completely honest, I'd put us around 15-20 range.

We're constantly ranked too high preseason and we end up falling in the polls at first, and working our way back up. Sure, we're returning more talent than most years, and of course we're bring in talent, but there's no reason to think we're top 10.

Out team this year will live or die depending on Maxey and Whitney. More so Whitney IMO. With all that said, I think Whitney has a chance of being the #1 pick in the next draft.

Outside of the top 5, I could possibly see. But the 15-20 range doesn't seem realistic, IMO. Kentucky will have seven 5-star recruits on their roster. Power 6 schools are losing an unprecedented number of players to the league - and to the transfer portal. Continuity issues now effect just about every program in the top 25. It's hard to imagine a team with that much talent not being in the top 10.

I don't think anyone is picking them but that is because of the last few seasons.
But Texas probably has the most talented roster in the Big 12 with an older experienced backcourt.

I would have them outside of the Top 25 but like I said before if they do win it will be big. They are a feast or famine team. Top 10 or bubble NCAA team.

Most talented team? I might be okay saying they have the best depth. But they're not exactly filled with guys that are on the cusp of making an All-American team. If you look at the top 4 returning players (Coleman, Febres, Ramey, Sims), they all had a player efficiency rating below 15, which is always set as the average rating for all players. Compare that to Purdue, who has 6 returning players with a PER north of 16, then I'd Purdue is much more likely to have a successful season. There are plenty of guys on the Texas roster that have been highly rated. So maybe this is the year they finally break out.

I read that Ohio St doesn't return one guard.

I don't think they will start real strong. Not saying they won't be in the Top 25 in March but they will have issues to start the year.

Luther Muhammad and Duane Washington return, and they both averaged more than 7 ppg. They also bring in CJ Walker, who started on FSU's elite 8 team in 2018 - and they bring in DJ Carton, the #6 point guard in the 2019 class. I think they'll be okay.

For the same reason that ESPN, SI, CBS, and a host of other sites have Purdue in their preseason rankings. Everyone on this board knows that all you have is hate for Purdue since your program continues to be a dumpster fire. Keep hating.
Oh, so you’re relying on Painter to be good enough, huh? Sorry, I focus on they players you have and not just the coach. And I’m not sold on the players you have returning and coming in as a sure fire ranked team.

Sorry not sorry it hurts your feelings little bro. Really amazing how crazy the Purdue fan base is for still not having been to the Final Four in almost 40 YEARS.

Outside of the top 5, I could possibly see. But the 15-20 range doesn't seem realistic, IMO. Kentucky will have seven 5-star recruits on their roster. Power 6 schools are losing an unprecedented number of players to the league - and to the transfer portal. Continuity issues now effect just about every program in the top 25. It's hard to imagine a team with that much talent not being in the top 10.

I wished I shared your optimism for this UK team.

My take:
1. Michigan State
2. Kentucky
3. Louisville
4. Kansas
5. Duke
6. Villanova
7. Gonzaga
8. Seton Hall
9. UNC
10. Maryland