ADVERTISEMENT

Place to put my Nonsense Thread.

images-that-require-further-context-to-understand-12.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: cdbearde
I tried to edit my last post but it would cancel my previous post, so I wanted to add that I do work as high as 200 feet up and don't like more as I get older. But that picture looks like around or over 1000 feet. o_O:rolleyes:
Haha. That's photoshopped. They don't make monopole style towers that tall, and if they did, that tower would be swaying 8' side to side on a calm day.

None of those guys is clipped off either. It’s a great photoshop job though.

Haha. That's photoshopped. They don't make monopole style towers that tall, and if they did, that tower would be swaying 8' side to side on a calm day.

None of those guys is clipped off either. It’s a great photoshop job though.

I was wondering myself what they were tied off to.

I was wondering myself what they were tied off to.
The first thing that came to my mind was how they would have climbed on top without knocking one of the other guys off. Then they have to somehow maneuver themselves to get down.

There would be 2 lanyards and a positioner hooked up to something from each guy.

But yeah, the 150' monopoles we get on will sway a couple feet left to right. Tallest one I know of is 199' (once they hit 200', they need lights).

However, guyed towers can go over 1,000' and self supporters can go 300 or so. 500' is the highest I have ever been.

Watch this video. This guy would be in deep trouble if he did this today. He "free climbed" the whole way. I had a guy on my staff get caught free climbing last week. I fired him before he hit the ground. That can put you out of business. The tower owner caught him. That wasn't a fun day.

But, as you can imagine, it is not easy to pull your weight up a tower. It’s exhausting. Plus, the harness weighs 30lbs and then there are your tools.

I watch this video and all I think of is, someone had to build that tower. Climbing it is one thing, building it take a big set of balls.

Watch "Climbing The World's Tallest Radio Tower" on YouTube

The first thing that came to my mind was how they would have climbed on top without knocking one of the other guys off. Then they have to somehow maneuver themselves to get down.

There would be 2 lanyards and a positioner hooked up to something from each guy.

But yeah, the 150' monopoles we get on will sway a couple feet left to right. Tallest one I know of is 199' (once they hit 200', they need lights).

However, guyed towers can go over 1,000' and self supporters can go 300 or so. 500' is the highest I have ever been.

Watch this video. This guy would be in deep trouble if he did this today. He "free climbed" the whole way. I had a guy on my staff get caught free climbing last week. I fired him before he hit the ground. That can put you out of business. The tower owner caught him. That wasn't a fun day.

But, as you can imagine, it is not easy to pull your weight up a tower. It’s exhausting. Plus, the harness weighs 30lbs and then there are your tools.

I watch this video and all I think of is, someone had to build that tower. Climbing it is one thing, building it take a big set of balls.

That's crazy, I would be homeless before I would do that for a living. :rolleyes:

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

Yea I’ve actually got an OSHA degree, so I know that’s something you don’t want any part of. Sad thing is, in western Ky at least, I doubt many of the factories could pass an osha inspection, none of the ones I’ve been in. That’s not what I do anymore, just felt like a safety cop and a narc on the smaller infractions. I could handle the paperwork, the regulation, all the engineering parts of safety, not costing ppl their jobs by running and telling I seen them with no safety glasses on while doing whatever. I mean trust me I get it, the ramifications and all, but it’s just not for me. Plus personal liability if you or your company don’t cya they can come after both.

and that video gives me pure anxiety, like that’s how much I dislike heights above 10-15 feet. Kudos to those that can bc I want no piece of that.

Lets just say I'm glad I put in my time and I'm glad I stuck it out through the tough times. It’s not an easy life, especially in the winter.
Are you in the power line industry? I am in the making power industry. :p
Yea I’ve actually got an OSHA degree, so I know that’s something you don’t want any part of. Sad thing is, in western Ky at least, I doubt many of the factories could pass an osha inspection, none of the ones I’ve been in. That’s not what I do anymore, just felt like a safety cop and a narc on the smaller infractions. I could handle the paperwork, the regulation, all the engineering parts of safety, not costing ppl their jobs by running and telling I seen them with no safety glasses on while doing whatever. I mean trust me I get it, the ramifications and all, but it’s just not for me. Plus personal liability if you or your company don’t cya they can come after both.

and that video gives me pure anxiety, like that’s how much I dislike heights above 10-15 feet. Kudos to those that can bc I want no piece of that.
I am with you on heights, I have to be maybe 50 foot up now at work, it was twice that several years ago but they shut that unit down and I don't miss it.

Bingo. This industry is all about safety. We spend a ton of money on certifications and recertifications for OSHA30/10, first aid, cpr, confined space, RF awareness, capstan, rescue, cert climber, aerial lift and electrical for each climber.
Now, they just came out with TTT1 and TTT2 certifications. $1,000.00 per guy. It costs us $50,000.00 per month to run this business and my business is one if the leanest you will find. To have a jackass put it all on the line and free climb, made me say things I haven't said in years.

Hey, heck.of a win by your cards last night, Carlik is a hell of a pg.

Are you in the power line industry? I am in the making power industry. :p

I am with you on heights, I have to be maybe 50 foot up now at work, it was twice that several years ago but they shut that unit down and I don't miss it.
Cell towers. I started in 1988 doing tower foundations and never left the industry. I never thought it would blow up like it has.

Reactions: kyjeff1
Bingo. This industry is all about safety. We spend a ton of money on certifications and recertifications for OSHA30/10, first aid, cpr, confined space, RF awareness, capstan, rescue, cert climber, aerial lift and electrical for each climber.
Now, they just came out with TTT1 and TTT2 certifications. $1,000.00 per guy. It costs us $50,000.00 per month to run this business and my business is one if the leanest you will find. To have a jackass put it all on the line and free climb, made me say things I haven't said in years.

Hey, heck.of a win by your cards last night, Carlik is a hell of a pg.
Yea I’m not super familiar with all the regulations for your particular field or anything but had classes in confined space, emt/cpr/first aid, and of course the cfr classes

Thanks man. Yea he’s just so smooth. Everything possible went wrong for us in the second half and he just willed us to a win. DJ barely played and was a disaster when he did in the second half, Malik goes back down, refs were terrible, and he still lead us to the win.

Yea I’m not super familiar with all the regulations for your particular field or anything but had classes in confined space, emt/cpr/first aid, and of course the cfr classes

Thanks man. Yea he’s just so smooth. Everything possible went wrong for us in the second half and he just willed us to a win. DJ barely played and was a disaster when he did in the second half, Malik goes back down, refs were terrible, and he still lead us to the win.
It was a great game to watch. Carlik and Hurt put on one hell of a show.

My balls get a queasy feeling when I watch this.

Fu*k a Duck. Thats some real sh*t right there. Would descending suck more than climbing?

Fu*k a Duck. Thats some real sh*t right there. Would descending suck more than climbing?
Descending gets awkward at times, especially on a climb like that.
There is supposed to be a "safety climb" cable that runs up the tower that you're secured to via a device that slides up the line, but will lock if you jerk it down.
Anytime you don't have that cable, you're supposed to double hook all the way up on each peg. It's exhausting to say the least. That guy there is crazy, one slip and he's gone.
There are a lot of things that happen as you climb that will scare the crap out of you.
About 10 years I got attacked at 150' by two red tailed hawks and I was completely out of breath from climbing when it happened. There were two large nests on the tower that I thought were Osprey nests. Nope, those bastards were trying to grab my hard hat, my coat, my legs and my hands. I just kept flailing my arms and climbed down one handed when they let me. I've never been so scared in my life. I seriously thought I was a dead man for quite a while.

They must have attacked someone else after me, those two birds were laying dead in the compound with bullet holes in them. They don't look very big from afar, but when they’re attack9ng you, they look like taradactle's.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT