ADVERTISEMENT

Outstanding Plays, 2023-24

Miami is absolutely awful. Pre-season top 15 to straight TRASH. How do you lose back-to-back home games to Louisville and FSU? 🤣 When UK beat them I was thinking (hoping) it would be a solid win. Now it's prolly gonna be a Q3 by Selection Sunday.

Defense is shoddy; their offense is still good but took a step back, and they have little to no depth. I'd say they'll be a bubble-team, more than likely. They've got some decent OOC wins against Kansas State, UCF, and Georgia. But, they still have quite a bit of work to do.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Defense is shoddy; their offense is still good but took a step back, and they have little to no depth. I'd say they'll be a bubble-team, more than likely. They've got some decent OOC wins against Kansas State, UCF, and Georgia. But, they still have quite a bit of work to do.
Agreed. It will also be tough to stack quality wins in a sub-par ACC.

Wow. I haven't posted in 3 weeks lol. I somehow got sucked into the USC-Utah game last night. Joshua Morgan with a HUGE block in the closing seconds. Utah was about to force the game into overtime.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I wouldn't say genius. It's not legal for several reasons; can't leave the circle until the ball is tipped and can't catch it on the fly before it touches someone else or the floor first. Those old geezers probably don't know that though.
He didn't leave the circle but definitely touched it before it hit the floor. Maybe he could have blocked out and let it hit.

Last edited:

Last 20 seconds of the LSU/Kentucky game. Angel Reese stormed the court and jumped all over Tyrell Ward.

Donovan Dent does it again. 3rd game-winning layup in the closing seconds. Jalen Lake got torched trying to guard Dent, backpedaling in desperation. Dude is a baller. If it's close in the tournament, you know where New Mexico is going.

Also, the end of this CSU-New Mexico game was wild. 6 lead changes in the final minute alone. After this bucket, CSU caught the ball at half court, called a timeout, and had a good look to hit one at the buzzer for a potential 7th lead change in the final minute of play. High-level basketball right there. MWC might actually get 6 teams into the tournament this year. Wild.

Last edited:

Questionable shot selection here. You need 1 point to tie - and 2 points to win! Why is he taking a contested shot that falls maybe 20% of the time? But, McCollum had stones and made it when it counted. Huge shot.

Surprised this wasn't posted.

Ugh. That shot was very similar to the OU-OSU game. He made it, but he clearly wasn't playing the percentages. It's one thing if it's wide-open. But, that was highly-contested. If you drive to the basket and get fouled, you likely win. If you drive, you'll at least have a more makeable shot - or could possibly find an open man. I just don't get why all these kids are wanting to take stepback threes in the closing second? If you're down by 2 points? Sure. If you have a clear shot with no defender in your vicinity? Absolutely. But, contested 3s when you really only need a free throw or more makeable 2-point shot?! I don't get it.

I should allow them both grace, as their teams won. But if I'm a coach, I'm telling my guys to play the percentages and look for better quality looks, especially if we don't even need 3 points.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Ugh. That shot was very similar to the OU-OSU game. He made it, but he clearly wasn't playing the percentages. It's one thing if it's wide-open. But, that was highly-contested. If you drive to the basket and get fouled, you likely win. If you drive, you'll at least have a more makeable shot - or could possibly find an open man. I just don't get why all these kids are wanting to take stepback threes in the closing second? If you're down by 2 points? Sure. If you have a clear shot with no defender in your vicinity? Absolutely. But, contested 3s when you really only need a free throw or more makeable 2-point shot?! I don't get it.

I should allow them both grace, as their teams won. But if I'm a coach, I'm telling my guys to play the percentages and look for better quality looks, especially if we don't even need 3 points.
I think the difference is McCollum had plenty of time to drive the lane and kick out if needed. I'm not sure Bonner even had time to get into the lane. He caught it with 3 seconds left and a full head of steam toward the baseline near the sideline. Not sure he could have turned and went without stopping and driving and don't think there was enough time for that.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I think the difference is McCollum had plenty of time to drive the lane and kick out if needed. I'm not sure Bonner even had time to get into the lane. He caught it with 3 seconds left and a full head of steam toward the baseline near the sideline. Not sure he could have turned and went without stopping and driving and don't think there was enough time for that.

I may have been carrying over McCollum's poor selection a little too much into this clip from Bonner.

There were opportunities there, but the window was tight. He could have tried to take Walker baseline and drive past him. If he gets by Walker, he's got a clear path to the basket. He hesitated so that window was quickly lost... And then he also had his teammate, Devin Royal, available for an open look, albeit that window wasn't open very long. I shouldn't be faulting the kid for making a huge shot. I just see it time and time again when guys are taking unnecessary three-pointers in the closing seconds.

bonner-osu-msu.jpg

Bonner-Royal-OSU.jpg

Jarod Lucas for the win!

Crazy thing is, Lucas who is 90% free throw shooter, missed 3 free throws in the final minute. Colorado State doesn't tie the game if not for one of the most reliable ft shooters missing multiple times.

Also, Colorado State is 8-8 in conference play! They were 12-1 in the non-conference season, 5-1 versus top 100 teams and 4-0 versus P6 teams, including a 21 point win over Creighton. Wild.

That kid has some serious vert lift.
Saturday he twisted his ankle. He had to carry off the court. Low ankle sprained.

UNLV have some bad Q4 losses but won a lot of Q1 games. UNLV won more Q1 games than any team in the MWC. We did not have the Boone's twins active until several games into the season. No excuses as we lost to a team like the Air Force Academy recently and Reno (Nevada). Utah State beat us on some bs 5 pts called by the refs. It was amazing. I have never seen anything like it. UNLV won't have a chance against USU again unless we meet in the conference tournament. The Q4 losses will doomed UNLV this year but if we win the mWC tournament, hello UNLV.

Last edited:
Reactions: 954gator
Saturday he twisted his ankle. He had to carry off the court. Low ankle sprained.

UNLV have some bad Q4 losses but won a lot of Q1 games. UNLV won more Q1 games than any team in the MWC. We did not have the Boone's twins active until several games into the season. No excuses as we lost to a team like the Air Force Academy recently and Reno (Nevada). Utah State beat us on some bs 5 pts called by the refs. It was amazing. I have never seen anything like it. UNLV won't have a chance against USU again unless we meet in the conference tournament. The Q4 losses will doomed UNLV this year but if we win the mWC tournament, hello UNLV.
Hey man anything can happen in a conference tourney! Dang that sucks for him. His bounce is too strong for those ankles lol. Glad it's just a sprain!

UNLV gotta hold on to that kid. In this day and age the transfer portal is rough on the mid majors.

UNLV gotta hold on to that kid. In this day and age the transfer portal is rough on the mid majors.
Parents are diehards. We got another kid coming at UNLV. 7 foot tall called Bear Cherry from a JC in NM. If Whaley and DJ Thomas stays it will be ridiculous.
Then again, we lost our quarterback Maiava to USC even though his parents are diehards UNLV fans and living in Las Vegas.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT