ADVERTISEMENT

OT: School Shooting in South Florida

I dont mind assault rifles. I own one and have my CHL as well. I think we can clean up the background check stuff as well. If you want a gun bad enough, even if you had to take a test or wait a week, that should be fine for everyone. I think maybe we start incorporating a social media check in the background check. That may be going too far or be too difficult, but I agree there Are some simple things that can be done. Banning any type of gun outside of automatic weapons won’t change a thing, in my opinion.
I would like to see a wait like you said, and class/training requirement for certain classes of weapons for sure. The bar to entry is too low, it should be much more difficult. I think it is too difficult and possibly dangerous in some ways culturally to start banning weapons other than assault weapons, and I think (haven't looked at the numbers lately) that 95+% of Americans agree with that, even "libruls." At the very least, assault style weapons should be on par with getting a driver's license: take a course, pass a gun safety written and physical test.

Y'all also see that someone called in a tip about this kid early January claiming they thought something like this could happen based on what this kid had said/posted? The FBI really, really dropped the ball no this one. People did their part of "see something, say something." But yet, here the liberals and media are, banging the drum about guns and getting rid of guns, etc.

Y'all also see that someone called in a tip about this kid early January claiming they thought something like this could happen based on what this kid had said/posted? The FBI really, really dropped the ball no this one. People did their part of "see something, say something." But yet, here the liberals and media are, banging the drum about guns and getting rid of guns, etc.
Ok, he was reported. At that point, what had he done that was against the law? What should have been done, not rhetorical questions. What could have been done at that point? As far as I can tell, he didn't break any related laws until the shooting.

Regardless of who funds the NRA, they are going to win these arguments 95% of the time as long as the 2nd amendment stands.

And I'm not saying to change to the 2nd amendment. No idea on solution, but as long as 2nd amendment stands then people will have guns. Bottom line.

And our culture is totally ****ed up.

Maybe if there was paradigm shift in American culture that included a drastic change in thinking for society, stuff like this wouldnt happen. But that's probably not realistic either.

So, sadly, I've come to accept these things as part of life much like hurricanes and tornadoes.

Ok, he was reported. At that point, what had he done that was against the law? What should have been done, not rhetorical questions. What could have been done at that point? As far as I can tell, he didn't break any related laws until the shooting.
Other than monitoring him closely, I don't know. Police had been at his house like 39 times over the last handful of years as well. I don't have the answer as I said earlier it's such a complex issue.

Regardless of who funds the NRA, they are going to win these arguments 95% of the time as long as the 2nd amendment stands.

And I'm not saying to change to the 2nd amendment. No idea on solution, but as long as 2nd amendment stands then people will have guns. Bottom line.

And our culture is totally ****ed up.

Maybe if there was paradigm shift in American culture that included a drastic change in thinking for society, stuff like this wouldnt happen. But that's probably not realistic either.

So, sadly, I've come to accept these things as part of life much like hurricanes and tornadoes.
This. Really sucks to say, but I think it's the truth. Liberals will blame guns. Conservatives will do everything to say not blame guns. Nothing will change.

This. Really sucks to say, but I think it's the truth. Liberals will blame guns. Conservatives will do everything to say not blame guns. Nothing will change.
That is both the saddest thing to read and absolutely the truth. As long as the NRA has the money to intimidate and threaten politicians, who are all whores anyway, nothing will be done. Because of them politicians lack the backbone to even try and find a way to stop gun violence. It is no doubt a complex and difficult issue, but they won't even try. What shocks me is that so many people actually believe the NRA is there for them (like before they became a political organization), it is there for the people who pull their strings...like the companies who produce and sell guns and ammo. Every time we have a mass shooting, their sales go up so they have no incentive to stop it. It's mind boggling that people can't see what is going on.

That is both the saddest thing to read and absolutely the truth. As long as the NRA has the money to intimidate and threaten politicians, who are all whores anyway, nothing will be done. Because of them politicians lack the backbone to even try and find a way to stop gun violence. It is no doubt a complex and difficult issue, but they won't even try. What shocks me is that so many people actually believe the NRA is there for them (like before they became a political organization), it is there for the people who pull their strings...like the companies who produce and sell guns and ammo. Every time we have a mass shooting, their sales go up so they have no incentive to stop it. It's mind boggling that people can't see what is going on.
Again, what could we do to stop this short of banning all guns? Virginia Tech was one of the worst, if not the worst, school shooting we've seen in the US. The kid had two handguns. Will people want handguns banned then as well? Sure, the NRA has politicians in their pocket, but I'm not sure what can be done to prevent this even if the NRA wasn't around.

Which one of those would have stopped this event? Do you think banning AR type weapons would have stopped this?
Who said anything about going back in time to prevent this event? Do any of them sound unreasonable to you?

I don't agree. I think we can respect the 2nd and still have more effective and Constitutional gun control. No reasonable people are talking about getting rid of all guns.

Reactions: HoosierstuckinIowa
I don't agree. I think we can respect the 2nd and still have more effective and Constitutional gun control. No reasonable people are talking about getting rid of all guns.
That's not true at all, and you know it.

Who said anything about going back in time to prevent this event? Do any of them sound unreasonable to you?
You didn't answer the questions. Why don't you answer them?

Instead of people who are against guns/NRA and people who are for guns/NRA arguing back and forth, why don't we look for actual solutions that would hopefully prevent these things from happening.

I'm asking for what you think could have been put in place to prevent an event like the shooting in FL. You're quick to blame the NRA for having a hand in this but offer up no real solutions that would prevent these events.

I'm interested in what can be done to prevent this type of stuff. I think we need to be focusing on securing schools, mental health, revamping background checks, and other similar measures.

Reactions: BStowers023
That's not true at all, and you know it.
He said reasonable people. The large majority of us left-wingers don't even advocate for that, trying to google numbers but it's definitely over 80%. There's so much crap about guns, it's hard to find real, trustworthy numbers.

Sure, the NRA has politicians in their pocket, but I'm not sure what can be done to prevent this even if the NRA wasn't around.
Overturn Citizens United.
Fund healthcare.
Require more extensive background checks.
Require training and licensure.
Require a mental health screen ahead of a first purchase.
Have longer waiting periods.
Register and do background checks and waiting periods for every gun sale.
Track ammo sales.
Ban ownership of guns for any person convicted of a violent crime.
Include confiscation of guns they already have for violence convictions.
Require additional levels of certification to purchase certain specific guns.
Require 1-2 yearly mental check-ups for continued ownership of certain specific guns.
Have buyback programs for certain specific guns.
Have surprise inspections in special cases.
Don't join the NRA.
Don't vote for politicians who are tone deaf on reasonable gun control.
Don't expose your kids to violent video games.
Don't raise your white sons to believe in the supremacy of white male culture.

Reactions: theetommyt
Overturn Citizens United.
Fund healthcare.
Track ammo sales.
Require 1-2 yearly mental check-ups for continued ownership of certain specific guns.
Have buyback programs for certain specific guns.
Have surprise inspections in special cases.
Don't join the NRA.
Don't vote for politicians who are tone deaf on reasonable gun control.
Don't expose your kids to violent video games.
Don't raise your white sons to believe in the supremacy of white male culture.
Lol. I honestly tried to take this crap seriously, I really did. But it’s more extreme liberal bullshit. Typical Datt

Reactions: BStowers023
You didn't answer the questions. Why don't you answer them?
I'm asking for what you think could have been put in place to prevent an event like the shooting in FL.
I thought I did answer your question, with a question.

You didn't say "like" the shooting in Florida before. Using one shooting, and one that has already occurred is just deflection and stonewalling. And I don't think most reasonable people -- repeat, REASONABLE people -- expect to eliminate all such shooting forever and ever. But these shootings are accelerating and we've done nothing.

As for what else could be done moving forward, I just put a big list in that last post.

Yup. The ACLU can't come out and support common sense laws that would ban abortion in 2rd/3rd trimester viable/uncomplicated pregnancies because they have to play to their base just like the NRA won't budge on common sense gun control issues.

Both suck.

It’s like most people could come to reasonable compromises but the extreme on each side prevents it.

This is all just conversation starter.

1. At the minimum make purchasing assault style weapons a long, thorough process. You want an AR-15? Be dedicated to it over months including training and tests, at minimum as difficult of a process as obtaining a driver's license.
2. Any gun purchase, person to person, store, show, etc. must include a background check.
3. If you are convicted of any violent or destructive crime, no guns. Domestic violence, no guns. Battery, no guns. On and on. Maybe even some temporary suspensions of gun ownership similar to getting a DUI for certain offenses. Get a DUI, no driving for 6months to a year. Something similar where you have to turn in your guns for 6 months to a year.

Responsible gun owners only suffer in the short term (longer waiting periods, having to take a course and pass a test) but not in the long run. Added to that, as a whole they would be more educated. Gun owners as a group would also be more respected and trusted in this country by those who do not own guns by starting to eliminate people who become problems from having legal access. Guns are a right but like others rights in this country they can be taken away if you f*%# up.

I've addressed guns, now "mental health"
Any mental health related issue is covered by a single payer government mental health care plan. It's there if anyone needs it. The people who can't afford it are usually the most susceptible to it turning into a negative consequence for themselves and others. Not having access also can lead to not being able to afford it down the road when the problem turns to a crisis.

Nothing will ever completely prevent violence and gun violence, but we can greatly reduce the likelihood.

Reactions: Dattier
I liken gun control from liberals to immigration for conservatives. Both issues need to be addressed. Both issues have sides unwilling to budge. Both issues have one side blaming the other for anything associated with their issue.

Lol. I honestly tried to take this crap seriously, I really did. But it’s more extreme liberal bullshit. Typical Datt
Don't start that crap.

Every one? What's extreme about any of them? And what's not extreme about the problems we're trying to address?

Don't start that crap.

Every one? What's extreme about any of them? And what's not extreme about the problems we're trying to address?
You don’t want to be taken seriously based on your response. I get It. So I won’t take you seriously. A lot of your post was idiotic.

I liken gun control from liberals to immigration for conservatives. Both issues need to be addressed. Both issues have sides unwilling to budge. Both issues have one side blaming the other for anything associated with their issue.
I don't see much of a comparison.

I see two people taking the liberal side, being reasonable, not going to the extremes you claim, and articulating themselves clearly.

You don’t want to be taken seriously based on your response. I get It. So I won’t take you seriously. A lot of your post was idiotic.
I disagree that it was idiotic. I think a lot of the things he said would drastically cut down on gun violence. I don't agree with everything he said, but if we can't even have a rational, logical conversation then let's just say school shootings are an acceptable negative consequence of our laws.

I disagree that it was idiotic. I think a lot of the things he said would drastically cut down on gun violence. I don't agree with everything he said, but if we can't even have a rational, logical conversation then let's just say school shootings are an acceptable negative consequence of our laws.
I don’t think a good portion of what he said is rational or even trying to really find a solution. It’s a little rational stuff with idiotic liberal taking points sprinkled in.

Your responses have been good, rational responses. I appreciate that.

Stop raising your white sons to believe whites are superior dummy
Nobody said he was.

Who has committed more of these shootings here than anyone else if not white males? And many have in common beliefs that the world is theirs by birthright.

**EDITED**EDITED**EDITED**
Fund healthcare.
**EDITED**This is 10 of 18 from my first list.**EDITED**

1. At the minimum make purchasing assault style weapons a long, thorough process. You want an AR-15? Be dedicated to it over months including training and tests, at minimum as difficult of a process as obtaining a driver's license.
2. Any gun purchase, person to person, store, show, etc. must include a background check.
3. If you are convicted of any violent or destructive crime, no guns. Domestic violence, no guns. Battery, no guns. On and on. Maybe even some temporary suspensions of gun ownership similar to getting a DUI for certain offenses. Get a DUI, no driving for 6months to a year. Something similar where you have to turn in your guns for 6 months to a year.

Any mental health related issue is covered by a single payer government mental health care plan. It's there if anyone needs it. The people who can't afford it are usually the most susceptible to it turning into a negative consequence for themselves and others. Not having access also can lead to not being able to afford it down the road when the problem turns to a crisis.
I don’t think a good portion of what he said is rational or even trying to really find a solution. It’s a little rational stuff with idiotic liberal taking points sprinkled in.

Your responses have been good, rational responses. I appreciate that.
Huh.

ADVERTISEMENT